Author Topic: Jorn Lande and prog metal = Ark  (Read 3464 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jorn Lande and prog metal = Ark
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:30:39 AM »
From the amount of love for the mighty Jorn Lande in the Avantasia thread, I would like to alert people on another project he was in that some might not be familiar with, Ark, an amazing prog metal band. 

Ark are now split up and only had 2 albums, but their second album Burn the Sun is one of the greatest prog metal pieces ever IMO, and overall top 3 in Jorn's extensive discography.  Their first album is great but from start to finish, Burn the Sun is perfect.

Check out this live clip of them and see what the Jorn lovers think.  And just for the record, IMO, Jorn is one of the greatest voices of rock music we have seen in the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPyOUBZKu98&feature=related
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundChaser

Re: Jorn Lande and prog metal = Ark
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:41:20 AM »
It is more of a hard rock than a prog album, but Burn the Sun is phenomenal nonetheless.  The jazz/latin style they incorporate into many of the songs fits with his voice seamlessly.  With the amount of projects Jorn has done their first album is really nothing worth checking out to be completely honest though.  As for some of his other lesser known work I would also highly recommend Millenium's Hourglass and Brazen Abbot's Guilty as Sin.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »
Burn The Sun is one the best records ever made but not working live

But however, ARK= :hefdaddy
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline SoundChaser

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:17:27 AM »
Ive actually been lsitening to Burn the Sun all week long, put it on again for the ride to work this morning.  So fucking good, the title song and Just a Little blow me away every time.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »
i enjoy this disc immensely
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
Burn The Sun is indeed amazing :hefdaddy

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but since this is close enough to a Jorn Lande thread I'll post here...

Who else is excited for his newest solo release Traveller coming out next week.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »
Thank you for bringing Ark to my attention, they sound fantastic.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
Thank you for bringing Ark to my attention, they sound fantastic.

Ark is pretty awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
Ark are awesome, though I am in the minority it seems, but I much prefer the debut album.
As for Jorn's solo stuff, was great, but now is so predicable, boring plod along, with everything sound too similar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:15:40 AM »
Man, this thread has been dug up.

To answer Ben, yes I'm really looking forward to the new album, the title track is incredible and has gotten my hopes up.

Ark are awesome, though I am in the minority it seems, but I much prefer the debut album.
As for Jorn's solo stuff, was great, but now is so predicable, boring plod along, with everything sound too similar.

The debut is good, underrated and I think most people didn't really give it the time it needs, including myself.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Just receieved traveller from Amazon preorder, gonna check it out now.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
I love his "Beyond Twilight" album "The Devil's Hall of Fame". One of his greatest, i should add.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
Meh... it's ok.  Nothing special.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Beyond Twilight seem to be very well regarded but across both albums I managed to get one awesome track (Ecstacy Arise) which wasn't even with Jorn singing (Kelly Sundown).   Otherwise I found them boring plod fests...something Jorn is now famous for with his solo albums.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »
Beyond Twilight seem to be very well regarded but across both albums I managed to get one awesome track (Ecstacy Arise) which wasn't even with Jorn singing (Kelly Sundown).   Otherwise I found them boring plod fests...something Jorn is now famous for with his solo albums.

Yeah, I was wholly unimpressed with Section X, considering how much I love Sundown as a vocalist.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline NotePad

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
The Beyond Twilight album with Jorn is a masterpiece. I just don't really know what the story is. Can anyone enlighten me?

The second BT record just didn't do it for me. Was a disappointment. A big reason for this was the vocalist. His voice was brutal, not in the awesome way.

Jorn has been in some amazing bands and done some amazing music, my faves being Ark, Masterplan, and the BT album. It sucks that he quits so many bands. As i'v said before, i think he's emulating Dio's career. Just think about it, it's quite obvious.

Apparently he's responsible for Aeronautics have more of a hard rock style. I still consider in power metal, but there is definately a rock approach to some of the songs. I loved it, and actually enjoy it much more then Time To Be King, which i feel has very little variety. The newest Masterplan albums is pretty good, i'm a HUGE Grapow fan, but anytime a band does an album after replacing Jorn Lande, it just never sounds as good.

And Burn The Sun is one of my favorite albums ever. Now THAT'S a masterpiece! I was so disappointed when i heard they split. I remember when Jorn quit, it sucked, but word was they had found a new vocalist and had finished writing a new album; the message they posted on their website made the album sounds fuckin beautiful. But then in never came out. Such a shame. I'll never get over it. I haven't enjoyed anything else the same way I loved Burn the Sun. But apparently Tore Ostby is working on something new with the drummer from i think Kamelot, or Pain of Salvation? one of those, and apparently it's musically continuing where ARK left of. Tore has an amazing guitar style.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
Mundanus Imperium was one helluva band too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
The song Crying is possibly Jorn's best ever vocal performance.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 02:32:39 AM »
Totally agree. That's the song i think of when i think of that album. I wonder if at present he could pull it off.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:09 AM »
I'm captivated by Tore Ostby's style. I absolutely love that sound of his guitar playing on Burn The Sun. It's so refreshing, his style is very unique in the metal scene.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:28 AM »
ARK Everyone!!!!! ARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn I remember a couple years ago it was announced they were getting back together to release the last album they started before breaking up. This was gonna be without Jorn, but of course it never happened.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting again in this thread is because I'v finally started listening to their first album, the S/T debut album of ARK. I have loved Burn The Sun for so many years, and have always regretted Ark breaking up. But for some reason i never gave any attention to their first album. Probably because I didn't think it could be as amazing as Burn The Sun.

So I'v been listening to it lately, and man it is pretty fuckin great. It's more 'proggy' then BTS, longer songs overall, more odd and complex arrangements and sounds. But Ark still, with European-feeling, romantic, music and lyrics. The songs aren't as 'tight' and to the point as on BTS either. But great. Different from BTS. Jorn is so amazing. His style with Ark is so different from anything he has done since. Ark brought out the best of him. They are the best lyrics he has ever sung.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 05:50:30 AM »
Fuck, just read Randy Coven passed away.  :'(

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
Aww fuck.  :-[
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »
Didn't see this posted. Here is Jorn's vocal performance on Pentakill's Lightbringer. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUiOylPbfV0&feature=youtu.be

Not bad at all!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Art

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
Burn The Sun is one of m favourite prog/rock -metal of all time.

Flawless musicianship (Tore Otsby is my hero) and the best performance by Jorn Lande ever, IMHO.

Everyone shoul listen to this record.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
ARK Everyone!!!!! ARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn I remember a couple years ago it was announced they were getting back together to release the last album they started before breaking up. This was gonna be without Jorn, but of course it never happened.

Anyways, the reason I'm posting again in this thread is because I'v finally started listening to their first album, the S/T debut album of ARK. I have loved Burn The Sun for so many years, and have always regretted Ark breaking up. But for some reason i never gave any attention to their first album. Probably because I didn't think it could be as amazing as Burn The Sun.

So I'v been listening to it lately, and man it is pretty fuckin great. It's more 'proggy' then BTS, longer songs overall, more odd and complex arrangements and sounds. But Ark still, with European-feeling, romantic, music and lyrics. The songs aren't as 'tight' and to the point as on BTS either. But great. Different from BTS. Jorn is so amazing. His style with Ark is so different from anything he has done since. Ark brought out the best of him. They are the best lyrics he has ever sung.

The vocalist name is Mike Dimeio (sp). I have an album with him on Vox and John Macaluso on drums. IIRC, the album is called VOX - To the Extreme (something like that). Anyways, the vocalist sounds almost like Jorn. I don't think the music in this particular album was the previously recorded tracks for Ark but I wasn't impressed by this one..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Burn The Sun is one of m favourite prog/rock -metal of all time.

Flawless musicianship (Tore Otsby is my hero) and the best performance by Jorn Lande ever, IMHO.

Everyone shoul listen to this record.

It's in my top 50.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »
I own this album but it does absolutely nothing for me. And I've tried.