Author Topic: Steven Wilson + Mikael Akerfeldt project (Mike Portnoy?)  (Read 34339 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Steven Wilson + Mikael Akerfeldt project (Mike Portnoy?)
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »
I honestly don't know what to think of this collaboration anymore. Four or five years ago, or whenever it was first announced, I couldn't have been happier, but now...

I honestly couldn't care less if MP is in it or not. A part of me would like to see him there simply cos that's what's been talked up for so long and so the idea of hearing him with the other two is now comfortable to me.

The problem for me is that I'm very mixed on SW's songwriting, lyrics writing, and singing, so if he has too much input in those departments, which he is bound to, barring a miracle, I don't see any drummer saving the project for me.

Though maybe if he's with Akerfeldt...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
I think this will end up pretty cool. i'm guessing it'll sound like The Throat Of Winter in the way it's acoustic or somehow like that but still metal. Or it's gonna be a funk album with a cover of Flashlight
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
You guys DO realize that it will be Mikael and Steven rapping gangster (gangsta) style, right?

What else could it be?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »
You guys DO realize that it will be Mikael and Steven rapping gangster (gangsta) style, right?

What else could it be?

I could die happy after hearing that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Please. I'm not one to defend Portnoy, but if you don't think this is people having something against him I don't know what to tell you.
I don't know what to tell you, either, because I don't see anything here that would lead me to think that anyone here has anything against him.  Some people think Gavin Harrison (or other drummers) might be better suited for the project.  Others hope that the creative power of the collaboration remains with Wilson and Akerfeldt, whether Portnoy participates or not, or that Portnoy wouldn't "produce" the way he does with DT.  That isn't "people having something against him," and I don't know how you even got that.

Personally, I don't know how MP would find the time for this, but I would love to hear him on it.  Or not.  Whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
This will truly be awesome when it finally comes out.  One thing I'm wondering is this:

the last thing we’re going to do is something similar to what people already know from our most high profile project.

Is he referring to BWP, Deliverance, and Damnation here?
I think he is referring to Opeth and Porcupine Tree.

Ah okay, I was under the impression that he was referring to their last collaboration together.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:49 AM »

What else could it be?

I could die happy after hearing that.
:D :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
MP is so busy.  He just posted his 2010 plans on his forum so I don't think he will have the time for this honestly.  Otherwise Im one of the few that would want to have MP on this project...  Don't get the MP hate sometimes around here...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
Once again, it's not MP hate.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »

This. MP is a fantastic drummer, and some of the stuff he's done is among my favorite drumming ever. I just tend to enjoy GH a lot more.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »

This. MP is a fantastic drummer, and some of the stuff he's done is among my favorite drumming ever. I just tend to enjoy GH a lot more.

This, especially when it comes to a project like this.... GH seems like the most logical choice in terms of style.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
MP has to sing :P

Or play bass

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
Doesn´t sound exciting to me. The description of the project that SW gave seems kinda lame. Anyway, we won´t know until it is finished.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
Bill Bruford

/thread

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
Bill Bruford

/thread

-Marc.
Of course this would be exciting but I think Bruford is quite into another league.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
Bill Bruford

/thread

-Marc.
Of course this would be exciting but I think Bruford is quite into another league.

Indeed. Actually, over at progressiveears, someone suggested Pat Mastelotto, which would be an interesting choice! I think he'd bring a lot to whatever MA and SW have in store.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:08 PM »

This, especially when it comes to a project like this.... GH seems like the most logical choice in terms of style.

yeah true. GH helped out a lot Insurgentes so there maybe a chance that he could help out MA and SW (again). Id like to see MP though mainly because MP+MA+SW has been talked for the past few years. MP is just very busy this year tho...

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
There is chance that GH, as good as he is, will be very restrained like he has been in some of the PT albums, especially Deadwing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »
There is chance that GH, as good as he is, will be very restrained like he has been in some of the PT albums, especially Deadwing.

wtf? Deadwing is some of his best drumming!
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
GH's best drumming is undoubtedly FoaBP.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »
When I saw PT live and they played Anesthetize, I saw with my own eyes Gavin Harrison healing a blind, deaf, mentally handicapped, quadriplegic, ugly, metrosexual asian with the power of his drumming.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
When I saw PT live and they played Anesthetize, I saw with my own eyes Gavin Harrison healing a blind, deaf, mentally handicapped, quadriplegic, ugly, metrosexual asian with the power of his drumming.

When I saw PT live, I saw with my own eyes Gavin Harrison making a small white handkerchief disappear.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline 3MinuteWarning

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:17 AM »

When I saw PT live, I saw with my own eyes Gavin Harrison making a small white handkerchief disappear.

I lol'd when he did that in Glasgow.

Anyway why hasn't anyone suggested the sheer awesomeness that this project would be if they got Danny Carey...

I just smileed at my own idea.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »

Wow, you saw yourself in an out of body experience?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
shut up, man

no u

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
+1 for this project being without MP. MP is always a very strong influence on whatever he partakes in, and SW and MA just strike me as a duo who would be pushing the boundaries with their collaborative project, at the danger of it plain sucking. I don't have the impression MP would have that "artistic zest", if you will.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
Although MP can be a huge creative force, if you look at OSI or Neal Morse I think you'd find he can also do as he's told and play what others want him to.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
Although MP can be a huge creative force, if you look at OSI or Neal Morse I think you'd find he can also do as he's told and play what others want him to.

I sort of disagree, he threw a bitchfit over both OSI albums, even Free which he was only a session drummer for. I'll give you Neal Morse though.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

I sort of disagree, he threw a bitchfit over both OSI albums, even Free which he was only a session drummer for. I'll give you Neal Morse though.

I think Mike's relationship with Neal is a bit more friendly than his relationship with Kevin during the making of the first two OSI albums. Mike and Neal tend to bounce ideas off each other all the time. In one video on the making of Sola Scriptura, Mike and Randy are shown talking with Neal about a part and the chord progression he's playing, and Mike suggests things to Neal and they talk it out. It's a very positive environment and it feels like they rarely argue about music, even when Mike has some suggestions.

But if Mike were to enter the studio with Steven and Mikael, who is to say how that would go. Does Mike even KNOW Steven? To my knowledge I don't think they've ever worked on anything together... It would be a different story than OSI or TA/Neal Morse albums.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
Does Mike even KNOW Steven?
Yes.

Like, personally, as a friend, etc. etc.? Well I suppose so, I mean, (and I almost for), Steven did contribute an apology to "Repentance", so I suppose they are aquainted.

Still, the chemistry between Mike and the other two would probably shape or change the direction of the music if they choose to involve him in that context.

-Marc.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Please. I'm not one to defend Portnoy, but if you don't think this is people having something against him I don't know what to tell you.
But outside of DT, with musicians like Michael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson (better musicians who offer far more range in their work) - he's just not needed as a creative influence.

I'm not sure I get this. How are Steve Wilson or Michael Akerfeldt better musicians than the guys in Dream Theater? Petrucci can play guitar better than Wilson or Akerfeldt. LaBrie can sing better than Wilson or Akerfeldt. Jordan can play keys better than either of those guys. And creativity is subjective.  And what is this range you're talking about? I don't see how either Opeth or Porcupine Tree are any more diverse in their respective styles than DT. I'd actually say Opeth is the least diverse in terms of range when compared with DT and PT.

While I can understand why people might thing Mike isn't the best fit, I can't understand how people could think Steven Wilson or Michael Akerfeldt are are somehow "better musicians." Then again, I've never understood what's so great about the "songwriting" of PT or Opeth. I like both of those bands, but not at all for what people call the "songwriting." In my opinion, both those bands are about on the level of DT from a songwriting perspective, aka they're pretty average. And Steve Wilson can be an absolutely fucking terrible lyricists in his worst moment, to the point where I'd rather listen to Systematic Chaos. There, I said it.

But I think it boils down to people, quite ironically, having a very specific idea about how they want this project to sound.  People want this project to be dark, slow, moody, electronic, atmospheric, with prog tendencies to a minimum, etc. I mean, as I'm reading this thread, I'm already getting the impression that people want a mix between Blood and Damnation, with Steve Wilson on vocals.  They want it to be a style that Mike Portnoy hasn't been heard playing too much of, so of course people are going to say they'd rather hear someone who's already done that, like GH, on drums. They don't want to hear Portnoy have a creative influence, which, though a shame, is understandable, especially since (as many here have already pointed out) Portnoy seems to be the only one suggesting he was ever going to be a part of this.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:18:15 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
Does Mike even KNOW Steven?
Yes.

Like, personally, as a friend, etc. etc.? Well I suppose so, I mean, (and I almost for), Steven did contribute an apology to "Repentance", so I suppose they are aquainted.

Still, the chemistry between Mike and the other two would probably shape or change the direction of the music if they choose to involve him in that context.

-Marc.

My understanding of this is that Mike is kinda an ambassador of prog, who goes around making friends with as many proggers and metal guys as possible.  You can tell that he has a really good relationship with guys like Neal Morse and Michael Akerfeldt and the guys in Hail!, and even Daniel Gildenlow to a certain extent.  Other people seem a bit less receptive to working with Portnoy, and I'd say Steve Wilson is definitely one of those people.  Opeth's Mike is on record saying that MP is his "buddy," but I've never really read Wilson say anything near that extent.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
SW's music is the complete antithesis of what DT does. I would find it very surprising if SW had even remote interest in a collaboration with MP, other than just studio drummer.
I could rather see KM jump into the fray (given that Akerfeldt sang on the last OSI album).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."