Author Topic: skydivingninja's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs! (Starts at Page 9)  (Read 81182 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Quad's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs!
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
11. "Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

Let's just say that I don't quite agree with this one.

The rest of the list is a mixed bag for me. Personally, I'd rate TTT much higher, BF's ranking is OK, I guess. Props to you for having Surrounded as a top 15 song. Endless Sacrifice probably won't make it into my top 50, and TDOE... see above.

That is pretty much how I see it, too, although I am not quite sure what you meant about "Blind Faith" (which would make my top 25).  But like I said, I agree with the rest of what you said.

However, while I agree that "Endless Sacrifice" isn't that great, I don't think it is as overrated or mediocre as many seem to nowadays. 

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »
This is getting controversial. Dance of Eternity is in my top 20, and Surrounded is in my top 10. So for those I can understand. But Endless Sacrifice? And Take the Fucking Time in 15?????????????

That is very, very disturbing. Take the Time < Endless Sacrifice? :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

I'll be looking forward to the top 5 of this controversial list.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
11. "Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

Let's just say that I don't quite agree with this one.

The rest of the list is a mixed bag for me. Personally, I'd rate TTT much higher, BF's ranking is OK, I guess. Props to you for having Surrounded as a top 15 song. Endless Sacrifice probably won't make it into my top 50, and TDOE... see above.

That is pretty much how I see it, too, although I am not quite sure what you meant about "Blind Faith" (which would make my top 25).  But like I said, I agree with the rest of what you said.

Blind Faith is in my top 10, and ranking it 12th is OK in my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't want to go too much into detail about this song, since it is a pretty controversial song on here in terms of liking or disliking it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
Awesome to see some Surrounded love.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »
Hmm, as people have said, the controversy starts here. I agree with the Blind Faith and Surrounded placement wholeheartedly, but I'll happily trade my experience of seeing TDOE live for any other DT song you've seen.  :P Luckily in the same show I got Take The Time, which is in my top 5.  ;D Interesting list though, I look forward to the top 10.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Before I post the beginning of my Top 10 (Which I will do later, sorry not enough time to type it out right now) I want to post some songs that barely missed the top 50, and what would have been 56-51 had I made the list six songs longer.

56. "Light Fuse and Get Away" - When Dream & Day Unite

55. "Lie" - Awake

54. "Honor Thy Father" - Train of Thought

53. "Peruvian Skies" - Falling Into Infinity

52. "Hell's Kitchen" - Falling Into Infinity

51. "The Great Debate" - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Before I post the beginning of my Top 10 (Which I will do later, sorry not enough time to type it out right now) I want to post some songs that barely missed the top 50, and what would have been 56-51 had I made the list six songs longer.

56. "Light Fuse and Get Away" - When Dream & Day Unite

55. "Lie" - Awake

54. "Honor Thy Father" - Train of Thought

53. "Peruvian Skies" - Falling Into Infinity

52. "Hell's Kitchen" - Falling Into Infinity

51. "The Great Debate" - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

You should have put SDV just to spite PLM.  ;D But noooo! I love TGD, it would probably be in my top 20 but then I'm a Tool fanboy so I guess that's why.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
... Lie is not in top 10? NOOOOOOOOOO.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
Your rankings are your rankings, but it hurts my soul that you have "Hell's Kitchen" that low.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »
It would rank TGD and Peruvian skies MUCH higher, but the rest seems fine.  :) Can't wait for the top 10.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »

It wouldn't make my top 50.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »

Yea, it's not very good. Petrucci has some good guitar parts towards the end but other than that it's mostly forgettable.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
Your rankings are your rankings, but it hurts my soul that you have "Hell's Kitchen" that low.
god this...
gone

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2010, 02:27:35 PM »

It's a great tune, but I feel that it's too short. They could have done so much with it, but it ends too early.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
Well now I'm disappointed.  Peruvian Skies doesn't make the list?  I'd easily have it in my top 10, as it builds about as well as any other DT song with the possible exception of Endless Sacrifice.  And Great Debate was simply an amazing exercise in sounding like Tool, and would probably be in the mid 20's or so. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »

Same here. I'm baffled that they chose that song for a video.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »

It's a great tune, but I feel that it's too short. They could have done so much with it, but it ends too early.

But it's 4 minutes of pure orgasm.  To stretch it out would be to defile its perfection.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

But it's 4 minutes of pure orgasm.  To stretch it out would be to defile its perfection.

Absolutely.  "Hell's Kitchen" is perfect as is. :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »
Honestly, I don't think "Space Dye Vest" is gonna make it.  Quad is a big prog guy, meaning he loves the prog epics a lot, and I see 12 big omissions right now (nine epics plus SDV plus two major winners that aren't that long from SFAM), and two of those are gonna lose out, and I think "Space Dye Vest" will be one of 'em.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2010, 06:23:47 PM »

*gasps*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
Here's the first 3 of the big 10. Time to finally rid the speculation about...

10. "Space-Dye Vest" - Awake

Yes, it made it onto the list. And yes, it falls at number 10. As I've said in the past, I am a massive fan of bands throwing us curve balls that come from no where, and this song is probably the best example of a band doing that across any genre. The use of drone-ish guitars, the minimalistic piano melody, the samples, the emotion, the build, everything about this song is perfect. When the song comes to a head it is just pure musical bliss. There is nothing about this song that isn't downright amazing.

9. "Scene Eight: The Spirit Carries On" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

One of the best and most emotional songs that Dream Theater has done. JP has one of the best solos of all time on this song. The lyrics are also something that I can immediately relate to, what with the spiritual connotation. The version on Score has an impeccable introduction, and the gospel parts on the album version really add to the overall feel of the piece. For a long time this was my favorite DT song but it has since fallen back a little, albeit still in the top ten.

8. "In The Name of God" - Train of Thought

Ahh, ITNoG. The best that ToT has to offer. This song always gave me the chills but a few months ago I was listening to this song with headphones and I realized that towards the end you can hear the chanting of "My Eyes Have Seen the Coming of the Glory of the Lord" and I was literally paralyzed with spinal chills. It was one of the most eerie, yet amazing musical moments that I have had the honor of having. In my opinion, the entirety of ToT builds up to this song, and DT really delivered well.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
It's great to see SDV is the top 10.  I know it's a song that people either love or hate, but I've personally always felt a strong connection to the tune.  Good job, Quad!  Can't wait to see the rest.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline j

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »
Good list Quad, even though I vehemently disagree with a lot of it, I've enjoyed following it and I find your opinions on the songs somehow intriguing. :biggrin:

I do share your love for WDADU and Afterlife, which I also think is its best song. :tup

-J

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
I do share your love for WDADU and Afterlife, which I also think is its best song. :tup

Awesome :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2010, 05:24:44 AM »
It's great to see SDV is the top 10.  I know it's a song that people either love or hate, but I've personally always felt a strong connection to the tune.  Good job, Quad!  Can't wait to see the rest.

Hell yes :metal

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2010, 06:36:43 AM »
My girlfriend watched Score with me yesterday, and The Spirit Carries On stood out to her the most! It's such an emotionally epic song!

(On a side note, she also really loved Octavarium :D)
gone

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:19 AM »
Ah, so "Space Dye Vest" DID make the top 10!!  Nice! :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »

AS IT SHOULD!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54:14 AM »

AS IT SHOULD!

You may hate Genesis but you almost totally made up for it with this statement :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »

:tup :tup

Anyways, 7 and 6 will be up later today, probably after 9PM at some point.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
7. "The Count of Tuscany" - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

I didn't know what to do with myself the first time I heard this song. The part from the slow psychedelic guitar driven part to the ending is probably the best finale to an epic that any band has ever written for a song ever. Everything about this song is amazing, from the somber beginnings to the "I, I don't wanna diee!" choruses, to the intrumental parts to the ending. DT really outdid themselves on this song and I was honestly not really expecting anything they'd write lately to ever make it this high.

6. "Metropolis Pt. I: The Miracle and the Sleeper" - Images and Words

The fan favorite. Even though I've never seen this song live myself, I've seen or heard live versions enough times to know that the song sounds really awesome live. This song features some of the coolest riffs that the band ever wrote and features some of LaBrie's best singing. This track always gives me a good pickup whenever I need it.

So, now that we are halfway through the top 10, anyone want to make predictions for my Top 5?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59:02 PM »
Since you are asking for predictions, I will list the seven other glaring omissions (6-10 were five of the 12 I referred to yesterday):

"Learning to Live"
"Voices"
"Scarred"
"Fatal Tragedy"
"Finally Free"
"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"
"Octavarium"

Hard to believe two of those can be left off.  Not that I think "6DOIT" is nearly as good as the rest of those, but many do.  Will be interesting to see what didn't make it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Of those that Kev listed, I'm going to guess that Scarred and 6DoiT aren't going to be a part of this list, which is crazy when we're talking about 6DoiT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
Heh, I cheated and looked back at the Scarred vs. TDEN thread, and Quad said he preferred TDEN by miles, so it looks like "Scarred" is gonna not make it here.  Bah.  :censored

:p

I think "Fatal Tragedy" will be the other one left off, as I just don't see him leaving 6DOIT's title cut off, and the other three should be no-brainers.  Well, I don't think "Octavarium" is a no-brainer for the top 5; maybe for the top 20, but no way it doesn't make the top 50 altogether.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »
In no order :
SDOIT
Octavarium
Learning to Live
Beyond This Life
Voices

What do I win ?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.