Author Topic: The 20 favourite vocalists thread  (Read 21865 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The 20 favourite vocalists thread
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 06:10:13 AM »
Surprised to see Renkse so high up, even though i know that you love Katatonia.
He's always sounded decent/good on the albums, but i was shocked how bad he sounded live. :/

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 06:41:03 AM »
From what you've described now and before, I'm certain it must have been an off show for them or something. In March it was hands down one of the most amazing concerts I've ever seen, and perfect in every way, vocals included. And I'm certain that liking him also requires a bit specific taste, he isn't the "everyone loves him" type of vocalist. Unlike...

5. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden, solo, Samson)

As the sun breaks above the ground
An old man stands on the hill
As the ground warms to the first rays of light
A bird song shatters the still
His eyes are ablaze, see the madman in his gaze

Fly, on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the sun...

His presence here was probably obvious... Especially if it's someone who grew up listening to Iron Maiden making this thread. Absolute legend and he definitely seems to defy time, losing very little since the "best times" of the '80s. I can guess that everyone's first thought at the mention of a "heavy metal" vocalist is him, and there is a reason for that. Voice that absolutely stands out, capable of being monumental and extremely powerful, but also quiet and warm (the latter is especially obvious on some songs from his solo career). He's definitely had a huge impact on my view on music - especially that for a very long time vocals were basically 80% of the most important parts of music - and I think that he's going to keep a very high place up here even when I reach his age now. I don't know what I can say - you've all heard him. You know no one can compete with him in his genre. And I could name many, many impressive moments in his career...

Personal highlights:
Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, The Flight of Icarus (Piece of Mind)
Aces High (Powerslave)
Fear of The Dark (Fear of The Dark)
The Wicker Man (a song that will always follow me. I still remember when Brave New World was new and I could listen to this one almost all the time)
Paschendale, Journeyman (Dance of Death)
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (A Matter of Life and Death)

...and these are just the most important, plus I've probably forgotten something and there are those I still don't know...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
Well maybe.
I've always thought that Renkse has a pretty one-sided voice, it sounds one way, and nothing more. :P

On another note, great to see Bruce!
He's amazing, and would be in my top5 as well.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
It is indeed one-sided (as long as we talk about albums before Night is The New Day), but it's the way he uses it that I absolutely love. He has the kind of voice that I can never get tired of, and that can cause almost exactly as strong emotions at the 50th listen of a song as at the first one.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:15 AM »
If Dustin Kensrue is not number 1 then this list is wrong.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
That's actually very true.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
If Dustin Kensrue is not number 1 then this list is wrong.
no, the list wouldn't be wrong cause mizzl should be number 1

Yeah, Brucey's on the list
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:39:52 AM by Jakartabassplayer »
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »
I'm starting to feel pressure upon me. :(

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Bruce's not that he hits at the end of the last chorus of "Where Eagles Dare" is one of my favorite vocal moments ever.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
My guesses for the remaining 4:

Mikael Åkerfeldt
Mariusz Duda
Daniel Gildenlöw
James LaBrie (maybe?)

:corn

Offline SoundChaser

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2010, 11:25:08 AM »
I can't believe there is no Eric Adams, Jorn Lande or Russell Allen on this list so far. God damn.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
Lack of the guy from Circus Maximus is sad.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
I think my top four choices will repair it all. You'll see :P

As you may have noticed, for the last top 5 I'm slowing down to one post per day. Now, time for someone who couldn't, no matter what, be missing here...

4. James LaBrie (Dream Theater, solo, Winter Rose)

Why, tell me the reasons why
Try, still I don't understand
Will I ever feel this again?
Blue sky, I'll meet you in the end
Free them, free the memories of you
Free me, and rest 'til I'm with you.

Unlike some, I've never had any problem whatsoever getting used to his voice. Quite the opposite, I loved it immediately, and I still do. Back in 2002 I think, when I first heard Regression (having no idea what is it back then, I found out some years later), and then for the first time consciously - the whole Octavarium in 2006, it was exactly what was needed to get me into the band. I cared about vocals basically more than anything else back then, and a voice that can sound great both in metal (as metal was where I was coming from) and softer songs was just perfect for me. Now the amount of amazing moments of different kinds I see in DT discography is just huge, and I don't know literally any song where he wouldn't be able to capture its spirit, even if it's something as difficult as The Best of Times recently...

There was a time where live he didn't always sound great, and we know the story behind it... But in 2009, I was proved twice that these days are long gone. Now he sounds probably better than back in 1993, since he seems to hold a better control of his voice now, and well - he can sing Voices without any problem, and that says everything. There's still an even more glorious, deserved future in front of him...

One of my favourites. Forever.

Personal highlights:
Pull Me Under (Images & Words)
Voices, Space-Dye Vest (Awake)
Trial of Tears (Falling Into Infinity)
The entire Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory album, particularly Regression and Home
In The Presence of Enemies Pt. II (Systematic Chaos)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I like LaBrie as a vocalist, and he might merit a top 5 spot for me if he died after Awake, but to me, his voice has just never been the same since.

Also, and this may or may not be his fault, his performances since SDOIT have gone from good to merely average.  The covers for BC&SL have somewhat restored my faith though.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
I like LaBrie as a vocalist, and he might merit a top 5 spot for me if he died after Awake, but to me, his voice has just never been the same since.

Also, and this may or may not be his fault, his performances since SDOIT have gone from good to merely average.  The covers for BC&SL have somewhat restored my faith though.

That's cause MP didn't dictate how he sings on those.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »
That's cause MP didn't dictate how he sings on those.
Please don't troll here. Thanks.

I can't agree. Sure, there are fewer moments as insane as Voices chorus or "watch the sparrow falling..." from Pull Me Under, but they're still there, and he has other, new strengths. ITPOE Pt. 2 is absolutely incredible vocal-wise, the whispered parts sound darker than anything he had ever done, and the "angels fall" chorus deserves a spot up there above the aforementioned I&W/Awake highlights, if not higher.

And I just feel he just really controls his voice better now, there's no going over the top when it's not necessary anymore.

Online Adami

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
I'm not trolling. Have you seen them recording Systematic Chaos? MP directed every single thing LaBrie did, from  his melodies to how he pronounced things to his inflection, everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »
He did indeed tell him what to do in some moments simply because, I guess, he was the one who had the vision for that part of the song and just wanted it to be like that. Overall James had plenty of free space.

And I call it trolling because it doesn't belong in this thread and definitely sounded like that.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »
I'm not trolling. Have you seen them recording Systematic Chaos? MP directed every single thing LaBrie did, from  his melodies to how he pronounced things to his inflection, everything.

JLB had a lot of control over "Prophets of War" and its one of the worst songs on the album, so MP's direction has nothing to do with it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

JLB had a lot of control over "Prophets of War" and its one of the worst songs on the album, so MP's direction has nothing to do with it.

A good point indeed, although JLB didn't seem to have any control of Portnoys parts in that song. So who knows, aside from the lyrics, how much control JLB had.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »

A good point indeed, although JLB didn't seem to have any control of Portnoys parts in that song. So who knows, aside from the lyrics, how much control JLB had.

The drums are probably the best part of that song.
space cadet, pull out.

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Oh I meant Portnoys vocal parts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
Oh I meant Portnoys vocal parts.

Oooh OK. I like those actually. They remind me of Queen.
space cadet, pull out.

Online Adami

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
I just realized which thread this was haha. Sorry dude, forgot. I'll cut it out. For some reason I thought I was posting this stuff in a DT related thread. My bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
I'm 99% certain there will be no controversies whatsoever here...

3. Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath)

Cleared the fog that was veiled around me
And blurred my sights
Suddenly I'm no longer aching
To honor my plights.

Rising moon and my skin is peeling
Past undone
Suddenly I can't justify
What I had become.

Quite interestingly, I've known him the longest on the list after only James Hetfield, Bruce Dickinson and Bono. Opeth was a band I really liked, mainly for its first two albums, nine years ago (yes, I'm serious), and what makes it really special is that back then I couldn't stand growling or in fact anything that isn't more or less clean singing. Opeth was the only exception, and the first one. Over time my attitude has changed a lot, but they, or in fact, him, were the first to pave the path.

After having returned to listening to the band after 8 years (no idea why I didn't continue with my interest in it back then), I see much more than back then, obviously. And well, without doubt, Mikael and his vocals is one of the most amazing points of their music. First, like already mentioned, his growling really stands out, and I think even the most kvlt death metal fans who consider Opeth to be its own level of death metal blasphemy, appreciate it. It sounds absolutely POWERFUL, can sound simply dark, can sound really evil, or can sound simply death metal, without the need to look deeper. And on the other hand... he has without doubt one of the most beautiful male voices I have ever heard. I don't think anyone who has heard To Bid You Farewell, Windowpane or, obviously, Atonement can disagree even a bit. I don't know how he can combine the two so well, but he can. There are songs which are absolutely top notch in both styles, like The Baying of The Hounds (which has the best growling vocals I have ever heard, plus the "drown in the deep mire..." part which is probably the most beautifully sad moment on the album), or my favourite The Grand Conjuration, where even the really calm, quiet vocals are capable of scaring the hell out of anyone if listened to at night. I know I still have much to discover, though...

And if I made a separate list for "favourite band frontmen", he would definitely compete for place one. I think no one can disagree. :lol

We are Opeth.
We are from Stockholm.
Which is in Sweden.

Personal highlights:
Black Rose Immortal (Morningrise)
I thought of separate songs but couldn't decide... the entire Ghost Reveries album, with The Baying of The Hounds an inch above the others.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »
I'm not a big growl guy but I too like Opeth and it doesn't seem to bother me at all.  I think his singing voice is fantastic and a great pic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »
Great choice. Akerfeldt is definitely in my top three too. Amazing voice and I agree, easily the best frontman I have seen live.  :hefdaddy
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »
Great choice :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2010, 01:59:34 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2010, 02:10:36 AM »
LaBrie shined on Prophets of war, it's probably his best performance in the last couple of years.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
Åkerfeldt is awesome, and he's also hilarious as a frontman.  :lol

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »
Åkerfeldt finally is revealed!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
Mikael is my #1  :metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »
LaBrie shined on Prophets of war, it's probably his best performance in the last couple of years.
Yup. The song is arguably not the best in the album, but the vocal performance definitely brings it up a notch. I love the part where Petrucci stays with the chords played with acoustic guitar and JLB sings the chorus.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
Yup. The song is arguably not the best in the album, but the vocal performance definitely brings it up a notch. I love the part where Petrucci stays with the chords played with acoustic guitar and JLB sings the chorus.

"...a change from what it's beeeeennnnn"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol