Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 350742 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2310 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Yes, CP was first.  It was released in October 2000, and TWNAH in May 2001.  It may have been from the same sessions.  Or the first three songs could have been done in some pre-TWNAH or "warmup" sessions.  Not sure.  It was all right around the same timeframe though.  Honestly, I have no idea why Dread was included on both.  Just one of those quirky things that could have been for any number of reasons.

EDIT:  And I don't doubt Grapp's further clarification.  It makes sense.  But I have never seen that officially said anywhere, so I'm taking his word for it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2311 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »

As I recall, Kill the King was actually written specifically for Capitol Punishment.  That and Dread and the Fugitive Mind were pretty killer. 

Hmm. I could have sworn it was a track written in the TWNAH sessions. It was played live on Rude Awakening, and on the tour for TWNAH, which I am guessing all came before Capitol Punishment. Not saying you're wrong, as I am not an expert on Megadeth history, but I could swear it was written for TWNAH. Regardless, its in that general time period.

And I agree, Dread and the Fugitive Mind is a great one. That, Disconnect, and Kill the King. My top ones from that album cycle/period.

Kill the King and Dread were songs written for TWNAH.   Capitol Records forced Dave to give them those two songs for Capitol Punishment, which completed their contract.   Dave negotiated with them and was able to also use Dread on TWNAH, since he felt that was a really strong song, and the better of the two.

Yeah, that now is what I remember. I couldn't remember the details.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2312 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
Yes, CP was first.  It was released in October 2000, and TWNAH in May 2001.  It may have been from the same sessions.  Or the first three songs could have been done in some pre-TWNAH or "warmup" sessions.  Not sure.  It was all right around the same timeframe though.  Honestly, I have no idea why Dread was included on both.  Just one of those quirky things that could have been for any number of reasons.

EDIT:  And I don't doubt Grapp's further clarification.  It makes sense.  But I have never seen that officially said anywhere, so I'm taking his word for it.

I just remember it from the release of TWNAH and don't know if any records of Dave's explanation exist.  I followed the band very closely then and recall Dave saying that was the case.  Kill the King is my favorite of the two, but Dave was adamant that he wasn't going to let Dread fester away on a greatest hits album and ensured that he could use it as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2313 on: October 02, 2018, 11:02:27 AM »
Well, thanks to this discussion, I am going back to listen to the album for the first time in forever.  The songs I remember liking are Disconnect, TWNAH, Warhorse, Dread, Silent Scorn, and Return to Hangar.  I didn't much care for Moto Psycho, 1000 Times Goodbye, or Losing My Senses.  I don't recall the other songs.

EDIT:  And I have to say that Megadeth really has some outstanding non-album tracks throughout the years.  Fully half of Hidden Treasures highlights that.  Then you have tracks like Dread (even though it ended up becoming an album track), and Kill the King.  I know they have a few more out there as well, but I'm not familiar with them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Well, thanks to this discussion, I am going back to listen to the album for the first time in forever.  The songs I remember liking are Disconnect, TWNAH, Warhorse, Dread, Silent Scorn, and Return to Hangar.  I didn't much care for Moto Psycho, 1000 Times Goodbye, or Losing My Senses.  I don't recall the other songs.

EDIT:  And I have to say that Megadeth really has some outstanding non-album tracks throughout the years.  Fully half of Hidden Treasures highlights that.  Then you have tracks like Dread (even though it ended up becoming an album track), and Kill the King.  I know they have a few more out there as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

Angry Again is another one. Soundtrack song.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2315 on: October 02, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
Absolutely.  It is probably my favorite of all.  I didn't mention it specifically because I implicitly included it in my mention of Hidden Treasures.  It's a shame that song for some reason doesn't seem to translate well in a live setting.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: October 02, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
Absolutely.  It is probably my favorite of all.  I didn't mention it specifically because I implicitly included it in my mention of Hidden Treasures.  It's a shame that song for some reason doesn't seem to translate well in a live setting.

I think live its too mid-tempo, and they lose some of the layering in the studio. I completely agree with you that it isn't as impactful live. But I love the studio version. Good stuff. I may have to go crank it after I get done with the record I am listening to.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2317 on: October 02, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
CTE was a great follow up album to the masterpiece RIP, but after that, they steadily starting going downhill.  Youthanasia was pretty good but not quite all there.  CW didn't really grab me much at all.  Since then, I've purchased 2 more albums.  UA and Endgame.  Megadeth has been off my radar for quite a while.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2318 on: October 02, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »
Well if you were only going to purchase 2 latter day Megadeth albums, then UA and Endgame would be the ones to get.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: October 02, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
Well if you were only going to purchase 2 latter day Megadeth albums, then UA and Endgame would be the ones to get.

Not a fan of Dystopia, T?

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2320 on: October 02, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
Oh definitely. Dystopia is excellent. I'm glad they released that because I thought they released a couple of duds after the amazing Endgame.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2321 on: October 02, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
Oh definitely. Dystopia is excellent. I'm glad they released that because I thought they released a couple of duds after the amazing Endgame.

If it wasn't for that horrendous ballad "The Hardest Part is Letting Go...Sealed with a Kiss," Endgame would have been absolutely perfect from beginning to end. I've always been tempted to delete it from my tracklist on my iPod, so I can pretend it doesn't exist.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2322 on: October 03, 2018, 06:20:23 AM »

Preach.

But I do also love Dystopia  :hefdaddy

Offline DTA

« Reply #2323 on: October 03, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
UA is good but I get such a (I hate using this word) “filler” vibe from a bunch of the songs, mainly You’re Dead, Amerikhastan, and Blessed Are The Dead. Not to mention the completely horrendous redo of ATLM. Washington Is Next! and Gears Of War are two of my favorite songs of theirs though.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: October 03, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »
UA is good but I get such a (I hate using this word) “filler” vibe from a bunch of the songs, mainly You’re Dead, Amerikhastan, and Blessed Are The Dead. Not to mention the completely horrendous redo of ATLM. Washington Is Next! and Gears Of War are two of my favorite songs of theirs though.

I have a playlist where Blackmail the Universe is followed by Washington is Next! It continues with Holy Wars, Hangar 18, then Kick the Chair. Talk about a road rage play list.  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2325 on: October 03, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »

I have a playlist where Blackmail the Universe is followed by Washington is Next! It continues with Holy Wars, Hangar 18, then Kick the Chair. Talk about a road rage play list.  :metal

That playlist reminds me of seeing them when they opened for Heaven and Hell.  I have a lot of nostalgia for United Abominations based the set that they played that night, since the album came out a few days after the show.  Dave specifically said after a few songs "I'm not talking much tonight because we have limited time and we're just going to crank through these songs.  So it was non-stop thrashing from one song into the next with almost no breaks.

Sleepwalker
Take No Prisoners
Kick the Chair
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Washington Is Next!
Symphony of Destruction
Tornado of Souls
Peace Sells

Encore:

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

That's one of my favorite setlists that they've ever played and it was only 10 songs.  Nearly half of Rust in Peace (4) and the rest are all total bangers - Symphony is the first song in the set that isn't a full on thrasher.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: October 04, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

I would probably go TSHF over UA.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2327 on: October 04, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »
Can't go wrong there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
I've never taken a cruise, but I'm tempted.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2330 on: October 11, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2331 on: October 11, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
I've done that same route for a non-concert cruise.  It's a nice, relatively short "intro" cruise. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: October 11, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I've done that same route for a non-concert cruise.  It's a nice, relatively short "intro" cruise.

Did you leave the beach chairs all over the deck like you do the shopping carts in a parking lot?  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2333 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2335 on: October 11, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
You know you like it.  :vaderloungin:

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: January 04, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline DTA

« Reply #2337 on: January 04, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: January 04, 2019, 05:44:06 PM »
Hopefully not a re-record or something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: January 04, 2019, 07:24:11 PM »
It sounded like a new riff I think.
Maybe a new album coming?
I hope it’s not a remaster of sorts

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2340 on: January 04, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »

No it didn't.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2341 on: January 05, 2019, 06:40:13 AM »
Maybe a new album coming?
I hope it’s not a remaster of sorts

The riff was Take No Prisoners from RIP.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: January 05, 2019, 07:42:03 AM »
Oh, then it must be something related to RIP

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2343 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2344 on: January 11, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »