Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353090 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #2135 on: January 27, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »
Getting repeated listens from me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2136 on: January 29, 2016, 03:23:17 AM »
"As you might remember, Megadeth have offered a variety of "Dystopia" perks through their PledgeMusic campaign while the album was being recorded.

One of them was spending $2,500 plus travel expenses to spend a day (a day meaning up to three hours) in the studio with the band, while the other interesting offer was paying $3,000 for a two-hour guitar lesson from Dave Mustaine.

Both of these offers were bought by Milan, a lawyer from London, UK."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/heres_the_story_of_a_guy_who_paid_5500_to_spend_a_day_in_studio_with_megadeth.html

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2137 on: January 29, 2016, 03:52:22 AM »
Loving Dystopia

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: January 29, 2016, 04:27:05 AM »
Keen fan that guy, but a 2 hour guitar lesson from Dave?!  :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:02 AM »
I'd pay a bit to meet Dave and give him a guitar lesson  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:22 AM »

Yeah, good call.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2141 on: January 29, 2016, 05:53:05 AM »

Ah, come on, he's not bad. And certainky better than his successor in that other metal band.

Now a singing lesson, that would be different  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2142 on: January 29, 2016, 06:01:02 AM »
Hehe, yeah. Dave isn't a good singer. But I do think he has a really good feel for making catchy vocal melodies and there is a certain unique charisma to his voice (I am talking studio-performance wise). There are a plethoria of (Trash) metal bands with vocals I do not care for or even actively dislike, but Megadeth is not one of those bands at all.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2143 on: January 29, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »
Just making fun, I like Megadeth as it is.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: January 29, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »
Dave's good at a lot of things - rhythm guitar , crafting memorable thrash songs , picking good lead guitarists etc........ and he's probably one of the better thrash vocalists .  That says more about thrash vocalists than Dave  :lol

I'm really enjoying Dystopia and Endgame at the moment - possibly the two most consistent , filler free albums even though many of my all time fave tracks come from other albums.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2145 on: January 29, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
Dave's good at a lot of things - rhythm guitar , crafting memorable thrash songs , picking good lead guitarists etc........ and he's probably one of the better thrash vocalists .  That says more about thrash vocalists than Dave  :lol

I'm really enjoying Dystopia and Endgame at the moment - possibly the two most consistent , filler free albums even though many of my all time fave tracks come from other albums.

All of this. Total agreement with every word.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #2146 on: January 29, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
Endgame isn't bad but Hardest part of letting go has some horrible 80s hair metal lyrics and horrible singing (even for dave), overall I like United Abomination better.

But Dystopia is really growing on me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: January 29, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »

I probably feel this way too.

Thanks Tim.  :tup

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2148 on: January 31, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »

Ever get to listen to the bonus tracks? If so then what did you think?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: January 31, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »

Yeah - I wouldn't bother .  I wouldn't rate any of the bonus tracks as high as anything on the album.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2150 on: January 31, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »

Yeah - I wouldn't bother .  I wouldn't rate any of the bonus tracks as high as anything on the album.

I like "Look Who's Talking" and "Me Hate You" better than a few tracks on the album. 

It is a really strong album so that is saying something. 

Look Who's Talking in particular is a fun and catchy song even though it is about hunting someone down and killing them.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2151 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
Hehe, yeah. Dave isn't a good singer. But I do think he has a really good feel for making catchy vocal melodies and there is a certain unique charisma to his voice (I am talking studio-performance wise). There are a plethoria of (Trash) metal bands with vocals I do not care for or even actively dislike, but Megadeth is not one of those bands at all.

It's THRASH, not TRASH.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2152 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »

Ah, come on, he's not bad. And certainky better than his successor in that other metal band.

Yeah, I love Megadeth, but Kirk is light years ahead of Dave.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2153 on: February 01, 2016, 01:41:05 AM »

Yeah, I love Megadeth, but Kirk is light years ahead of Dave.

MMmmmmm.  dunno about that.  Dave writes far more interesting guitar lines than Kirk.  Though I would have a hard time sitting through something like Blackened with Dave soloing over it the whole time *shudder*.  Not that Kirks solo is really any good. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2154 on: February 01, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »
I'd take Dave over Kirk, but Kirk has never done anything as horrid as what Dave did on Cemetary Gates.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: February 01, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »
I'd take Dave over Kirk, but Kirk has never done anything as horrid as what Dave did on Cemetary Gates.

...or that shit with the symphony orchestra.  Destruction of Symphony.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: February 01, 2016, 04:37:55 AM »
I never even bothered checking that out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: February 01, 2016, 04:40:06 AM »
"As you might remember, Megadeth have offered a variety of "Dystopia" perks through their PledgeMusic campaign while the album was being recorded.

One of them was spending $2,500 plus travel expenses to spend a day (a day meaning up to three hours) in the studio with the band, while the other interesting offer was paying $3,000 for a two-hour guitar lesson from Dave Mustaine.

Well, if you're stupid enough to pay all that money then... :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2158 on: February 15, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »
Dystopia debuted at #3 on the Billboard charts in case anyone missed it.

Well deserved.  They were only beat by Adele and Beiber. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: February 15, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
The album is holding up well, really good stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2160 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »

Still in the car stereo with TA. A good sign. I stuck some greatest hits on the end too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2161 on: February 15, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »

Still in the car stereo with TA. A good sign. I stuck some greatest hits on the end too.

What tunes?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2162 on: February 15, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
Nothing deep, Hangar 18, peace Sells, in my darkest hour, sweating bullets, a tout le monde, holy wars and angry again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2163 on: February 15, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
Nothing deep, Hangar 18, peace Sells, in my darkest hour, sweating bullets, a tout le monde, holy wars and angry again

My #1 Megadeth tune! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: February 15, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »

I guess I should have a listen to the second cd one day hey?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2165 on: February 16, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »

Just wait Neil you're in the mood for something mellowed and have another go. It may just not be your thing but you need to give it a fair go before you write it off. After all, you've paid for it  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: February 16, 2016, 06:38:28 AM »
Calling him Neil won't get him in the mood kingshmeglowdz  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2167 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:30 AM »
Calling him Neil won't get him in the mood kingshmeglowdz  ;D

Ffs. How does "until" become "Neil" in predictive keyboard? Finger dyslexia probably. Happens when I play guitar all the time.

Edit - it changed ffs to "Fifa"  :biggrin:

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2168 on: February 16, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »

I think it is Dream Theater's weakest release (with JLB) but there is still plenty to like and it is quality.  The concept dragged it down IMO.  If you are mainly into metal though there won;t be much for you and that is OK.  You don;t have to like it. 

I always give albums a few spins if it is a band that I like though.  Sometimes I am cold on a CD on the 1st listen and end up liking it.

For example...the 1st time I listened to Youthanasia I was disappointed because it wasn't Countdown.  After another listen I started digging it more.  Same with Falling into Infinity with Dream Theater when that came out.  I didn't dislike the albums...I just was disappointed at 1st and now think they are great albums.

Hell, it may not be a popular opinion but I like Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses.  After the 1st listen I was really disappointing.  I gave it a few more spins and really ended up liking it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: February 16, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »
I've listened to the first cd twice, but haven't touched the second.  I will, but at the moment I have no urge too.

Anyway, I have Dystopia back in the car and it's a really good record.  I hope Dave can keep this lineup together.