Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 353523 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1995 on: June 10, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »
In the studio, yes.  However, Hanneman hadn't performed live with Slayer since 2011.   It's been Exodus' Gary Holt since then.  Since Holt wasn't allowed to contribute to the songwriting ("Fans aren't ready for it", according to King), Repentless will be all Tom and Kerry.  I'm not holding out too much hope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1996 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
Wow, didn't know that about not letting Holt write. That's ridiculous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #1997 on: June 10, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »
Slayer has a sound that has to be maintained basically. Kerry said it years ago that he and Jeff were the police of their riffs. If a riff sounded too happy or maybe not evil enough, it was immediately thrown out. I reckon the same applies to the noise sections, err, solo sections.

I do not know anything about Holt's style, but I'm guessing Kerry wanted to ensure the continued Slayer sound.
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: June 10, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
Well if Holt has no royaltiy from the albums - he probably just gets paid a wage to go on tour - good job he has Exodus or he'd make almost no money from Slayer at all.

Especially if they haven't sorted out that thing that Lombardo uncovered.

And does Bostaph have another band ? Because drummers get sod all writing credits.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1999 on: June 10, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
Good point K-boy. That is definitely about money. Sorry C-X, the musical integrity of Slayer does not compute.

If Steve Harris, who is very protective of the Maiden brand and sound, can let Jannick Gers and Blaze Bayley write upon joining the band, then Kerry King is full of shit.

Gary Holt has a respectable pedigree, and might even enhance what is currently going on with Slayer's music, which sadly ain't much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #2000 on: June 10, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
I did not mean to imply that's what I believed (although their stuff is pretty stock), just what KK said. He is always trying to maintain his image, even if he is a complete tool about it at times.
---

Calvin6s

« Reply #2001 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
The Holt songwriting thing reminds me a bit of the Mangini-DT-ADTOE thing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2002 on: June 28, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

How so? With ADToE, John wrote the basic parts and let Mike interpret them with his own style. With Slayer it's just Kerry King controlling everything.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2003 on: June 28, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
In the studio, yes.  However, Hanneman hadn't performed live with Slayer since 2011.   It's been Exodus' Gary Holt since then.  Since Holt wasn't allowed to contribute to the songwriting ("Fans aren't ready for it", according to King), Repentless will be all Tom and Kerry.  I'm not holding out too much hope.

Well...to be fair...it's my understanding that 2 or possibly 3 of Hanneman's contributions (things he had written and recorded before he died) will be included on the release.   I'm not sure if his final actual recordings will be incorporated or not, but at least two of his writing contributions are going to be on the album. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2004 on: June 28, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
Especially if they haven't sorted out that thing that Lombardo uncovered.

I'm curious to know what this is about.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2005 on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
can we change the name to The Slayer Thread yet?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2006 on: June 30, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
Was just listening to Rust In Peace (Original, not the remaster) today and gotta say it's my favorite Megadeth album still. I think the mix and sonic quality of the album are some of the best for those riffs, the remix is not that bad and I do like the crunchier guitar tone but not a fan of the new snare sound.
Sonics aside, the crushing riffs and crazy solos by both Dave and Marty are some of my favorite Thrash stuff. Not a single dud on the album for me.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2007 on: June 30, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
The original is so superior to the remaster.  The understated mix is a part of its charm for sure.  The remaster kills a lot of the vibe that makes it so classic.

I just downloaded the album on Rockband to play lol its almost impossible.  Its easier IRL TBH LOL BBQ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2008 on: June 30, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
Was just listening to Rust In Peace (Original, not the remaster) today and gotta say it's my favorite Megadeth album still. I think the mix and sonic quality of the album are some of the best for those riffs, the remix is not that bad and I do like the crunchier guitar tone but not a fan of the new snare sound.
Sonics aside, the crushing riffs and crazy solos by both Dave and Marty are some of my favorite Thrash stuff. Not a single dud on the album for me.

I largely agree, except that, as much as I love that album, I would say Countdown and possibly Youthanasia beat it for "favorites" for me.  But still, such a great album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2009 on: June 30, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »

I largely agree, except that, as much as I love that album, I would say Countdown and possibly Youthanasia beat it for "favorites" for me.  But still, such a great album.

My favorite is still SFSGSW, but I recognize that RiP is easily their BEST album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2010 on: June 30, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Rust in Peace is amazing. Probably my favourite thrash album of all time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Calvin6s

« Reply #2011 on: July 10, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »

How so? With ADToE, John wrote the basic parts and let Mike interpret them with his own style. With Slayer it's just Kerry King controlling everything.

Mangini wasn't included in the writing process ... by design.
Holt wasn't included in the writing process ... by design.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2012 on: July 19, 2015, 06:28:43 PM »
So Megadeth played their first live show with the new lineup. Sounds like they stuck with playing in D standard. Dave sounds pretty awesome :metal

Sweating Bullets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7VOHUviic

Tornado of Souls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fX-O5asDk

Wake Up Dead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fzt8yvs9uE

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
Nice - three things stand out:

1. Dave sounds fine
2. Kiko doing a great job
3. Everyone sitting down....c'mon ! (and that's from an old fart for whom it's painful to stand up).  Looks weird to me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2014 on: July 19, 2015, 08:36:31 PM »
1. Dave sounds fine

Now knowing how generous you are, I know who the first guy I'm asking for rent money will be next time I come up short.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: July 19, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
 ;D 

I only checked out Tornado of Souls , but allowing for it being Dave (who was never a great singer and isn't getting any younger) I thought he sounded okay - which is what I meant by "fine".   Not as in "one of the finest workout videos I have ever seen."
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2016 on: July 19, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
Denise Austin or Alyssa Milano on the mind?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: July 22, 2015, 05:21:37 AM »
Kiko's TOS solo was the best version since the original.  I loved Glen but that solo kicks the shit out of Glen's and Chris'.  Sounded the most true to Marty while adding some of his own things in there.  Love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2018 on: July 22, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
Kiko's TOS solo was the best version since the original.  I loved Glen but that solo kicks the shit out of Glen's and Chris'.  Sounded the most true to Marty while adding some of his own things in there.  Love it.

His feel was similar to Marty's. The slightly off-key string bends sounded like the original. If this is Kiko's playing style I'm very excited. Megadeth's guitarists have always been great and Kiko is no exception but it's nice to have someone who isn't a robot playing the leads. And this is coming from someone who's a huge fan of Chris Broderick.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: July 29, 2015, 05:41:04 AM »
New album tracklist apparentely confirmed by Mustaine in a fan club online chat;

01. Death From Within
02. Fatal Illusion
03. Conquer... Or Die!
04. Lying In State
05. Me Hate You
06. The Emperor's New Clothes
07. Dystopia
08. Bullet To The Brain
09. Last Dying Wish
10. Post American World
11. Look Who's Talking
12. The Threat Is Real
13. Poisonous Shadows
14. Melt The Ice Away (BUDGIE cover)
15. Foreign Policy (FEAR cover)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeth-new-album-track-listing-revealed-2/

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2020 on: July 29, 2015, 06:30:41 AM »
Me Hate You?

Me hate that title.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:59 AM »
I question the truth behind this as the article doesn't mention the album title, unless it's already known and I've completely missed it.  But it does say confimred by Dave in a chat, but why would the titles be leaked by him without an official press release.  I don't know, some of the titles look like they might be legit, but we'll see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2022 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
I have been listening to Endgame recently.  Time has served this album well.  I am blown away by how good it is, and how much I failed to realize how good it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: July 31, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
I have been listening to Endgame recently.  Time has served this album well.  I am blown away by how good it is, and how much I failed to realize how good it is.

This was me a couple of months ago, couldn't agree more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2024 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »
Bosk, Endgame was great right out of the gate.

I remember thinking that Mustaine was really onto something with the Broderick/Drover lineup, but then released two duds after Endgame.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: July 31, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »

Looks that way, but I was happy to read bosk's post, it made me feel a little bit better about how I totally wrote it off.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2026 on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »

I remember thinking that Mustaine was really onto something with the Broderick/Drover lineup, but then released two duds after Endgame.

I think a lot of folks were expecting more great stuff to come from the band after Endgame was released. Especially after Junior rejoined the band. I know I was.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2027 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »

Well, sure.  But for whatever reason, it fell off my radar pretty quickly.  Not even sure why.  It is a strong album.

I had no problem with the two albums after it.  It is more the three before it that were an issue for me.  TWNAH wasn't bad, and Jimmy's drumming is some of the best in the Megadeth catalog (and I don't say that lightly, given that there has been some beastly drumming in that band).  But it seemed like the start of a dropoff, and just didn't have the staying power of some of the earlier albums.  TSHF wasn't bad either, but had even less staying power for me.  And I just never got into UA at all.  There were a couple of catchy tracks, but nothing that stayed with me.  Maybe that's why Endgame didn't jump out at me and get the recognition from me that it probably deserved.  I think I felt that the band was on a decline and just didn't really care as much.  Or maybe I was just in a space where I wasn't into them.  I dunno.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2028 on: July 31, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »
I thought UA was excellent. Not as good as Endgame.

I thought from TWNAH to Endgame, each album was an improvement on the previous one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2029 on: July 31, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
Well, yeah, but you are strange, so...