Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 350710 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1890 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
I had a hard time remembering who Chuck Behler was.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1891 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:38 AM »
I saw them almost as many times with Chuck Behler(2) as I did with Nick Menza (3).

Makes sense, wasn't Chuck Behler Gar Samuelson's drum tech or summat?  Or was Nick Menza Chuck Behler's drum tech. I forget.

Chuck Behler was Gar Samuelson's drum tech and Nick Menza was Chuck Behler's drum tech.
Is this actually true?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1892 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
Yes.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1893 on: December 17, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »
I think I remember reading the stor(ies)y in the liner notes of the remasters in the early 2000s. I could be wrong.  It couldve been on the Realms of Deth, love that site.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: December 17, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »
It was mentioned in liner notes, the Arsenal of Megadeth DVD, Mustaine's autobiography, everywhere really. :p
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1895 on: December 17, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
Haven't seen the Arsenal of Megadeth thing...

Its not on Realms of Deth, I just checked.  Great info on the albums tho that I read probably bi-annually lulz

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1896 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1898 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:05 AM »
Megadeth just happens to be my favorite band.  How would you guys rank the albums?  I'll do mine, but be warned, it's controversial. I've been listening to Megadeth consistently for 8 years and while that might not be a lot for some of you, I've lstened to every song many, many times.

14. Killing is My Business- Yes...this is the worst in my opinion.  It's very muddy sounding and doesn't flow well at all.  It sounds like garbage, to be perfectly honest.  That being said, I love TSBTS, Mechanix and LRLTD.  But other than that, this album gets very little love from me.  Moving on...

13. Super Collider- Wow, what a disappointment this new album was.  While it's not the worst, it's up there.  Kingmaker, Cold Sweat and especially Dance in the Rain save this album from being complete crap.

12. Risk- The most inconsistent album in Megadeth's entire discography.  Prince of Darkness, Ecstasy, Wanderlust, Breadline and maybe Insomnia make the album stand on its own but it's not enough.  There's too much crap in the middle.  That being said, the songs I mentioned from this album are pretty amazing and are criminally underrated.  This album as a whole isn't as bad as people make it out to be, just very inconsistent.

11. Countdown to Extinction- Extremely overrated.  I don't know what the fuss is with this album.  I guess it's too "mainstream" for my tastes.  That being said, FOAD, TWML, CTE, Psychotron, Captive Honor and especially AIYM make this album a lot better than it would be otherwise.  While songs like SOD and SB aren't bad, they receive much more praise than they deserve, in my opinion.  I also hate this album's guitar tone, it sounds completely dead to me, with no ring to it.  Oh yeah, and I HATE Skin O' My Teeth, one of Megadeth's worst songs.

10. The World Needs a Hero- I used to like this album a lot, but I find myself coming back to it less and less.  The problem with it is, like Risk, it is very inconsistent.  There are some great songs here, but also some crap scattered around as well.  Still, 1000 Times Goodbye, BB and RFH...WH are amazing songs that shouldn't be passed up.  It's most of the other ones you have to worry about.

9. Cryptic Writings- Like TWNAH and Risk, this album is also very inconsistent.  Trust, AH, She-Wolf and Vortex are amazing, but the rest kind of falls flat.  Eh, I guess "A Secret Place" and "Disintegrators" ain't too bad.  This album gets the edge over TWNAH because it's simply more fun to listen to.  Also, if you have the remastered edition, "The Evil That's Within" makes "Sin" about 1000 times better.

8. The System Has Failed- A solid come back album, though it's still lacking something.  I can't exactly pin point why this album is either good or bad, because I like it, but I don't exactly love it either.  Some great songs here, some ok songs.  It feels like a thrash version of CTE; a dull guitar sound combined with a faster tempo overall.  Still a solid album, though.

7.  So Far, So Good...So What!- A very underrated album.  STWA, IMDH and HIM lift this album into almost amazing status.  Liar ain't half bad either.  The rest I can live without, but overall this album gets way too much hate.  It's a very solid thrash album that often gets overlooked because of the two giants sitting between.

6. United Abominations- The first album on this list that I would say is "great".  Not much to complain about here, except for maybe "Amerikhastan".  The perfect blend between thrash and regular heavy metal, this album hits all the marks without going over and above.  A great album from beginning to end.

5. Rust In Peace- Yeah, I have RIP at number five, sue me.  Overall, yeah it's a great album, but it's just overrated in my eyes.  The first two tracks don't do much for me, to be honest.  The rest is stellar, but something about this album just doesn't "wow" me as much as the ones higher on this list.  I don't know.

4. Thirteen- The single most underrated album in Megadeth's discography.  There's not one terrible song on here, and this album is pretty much the perfect metal album.  Sure, it's not that thrashy, but this album shows that Megadeth is more than capable of making a great metal record.  Great album from beginning to end.  There's so much power in that guitar.

3. Youthanasia- One of my personal favorites.  Yeah, it's a bit slow, but the tone of the instruments sends shivers down my spin. This album is dark and extremely heavy.  The darkness and heaviness of it just draws me in and the song writing here is top notch.  Not a single thing to complain about here.

2. Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?- One of my favorite albums of all time.  This album has only been matched by one other Megadeth album.  Pretty much perfect from beginning to end, with maybe only "I Ain't Superstitious" as a slightly weak link.

1. Endgame- And I though PSBWB would never be beaten?  Well, I was wrong.  Endgame is perfect, and is easily in my top 5 albums of all time, maybe even top 3.  It has everything.  It's heavy, it's light, it's dark, it's badass, it's fast, it's slow at times, man this album blows most other albums out of the water.  I don't think this album will ever be beaten by Megadeth...ever.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1899 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:48 AM »
Wow, that is a rather controversial list. I'll do mine without write-ups, but it will be quite different from yours. From worst to best:

14. Risk
13. Thirteen
12. United abominations
11. Endgame
10. The World needs a hero
9. Super collider
8. Yothanasia
7. Peace sells... but who's bying
6. So far, so good... so what?
5. The System has failed
4. Rust in peace
3. Cryptic writings
2. Killing is my business
1. Countdown to extinction

Offline Art

« Reply #1900 on: December 22, 2014, 03:33:58 AM »
Here´s mine:

14: Supercollider (the only one that i think is absolutely crap. every other record has at least 50% of good stuff IMHO)
13: Thirteen (huh?  ;) )
12: United Abominations
11: The World Needs a Hero
10: Killing Is My Business
09: Endgame
08: So Far, So Good...
07: Peace Sells
06: Risk
05: The System Has Failed
04: Cryptic Writings
03: Rust in Peace
02: Countdown to Extinction
01: Youthanasia

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1901 on: December 22, 2014, 03:46:47 AM »

Rest:
6. Countdown to Extinction
5. The System Has Failed
4. Youthanasia
3. So far, So Good ....
2. Peace Sells
1. Rust in Peace

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: December 22, 2014, 04:09:29 AM »
1. Youthanasia
2. The System Has Failed
3. Cryptic Writings
4. Rust in Peace
5. Peace Sells
6. United Abominations
7. Countdown to Extinction
8. The World Needs A Hero
9. So Far, So Good
10. Risk
11. Supercollider
12. Killing is my Business
13. Endgame
14. Thirteen
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1903 on: December 22, 2014, 04:12:46 AM »
14. Super Collider
13. Risk
12. Cryptic Writings
11. Thirteen
10. Countdown to Extinction
09. The World Needs a Hero
08. United Abominations
07. Killing is my Businness... And Business Is Good!
06. So Far, So Good... So What!
05. The System Has Failed
04. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
03. Endgame
02. Youthanasia
01. Rust in Peace
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1904 on: December 22, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
Good to see the Youthanasia love.  Top 10 album of all time for me.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1905 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:28 AM »
I've always disliked Rust in Peace. I don't like any of the songs on that album. Very rough list off the top of my head (will probably even forget some albums):

1. Peace
2. Youth
3. Countdown
4. The World
5. United
6. Killing
7. So Far
8. Cryptic
9. Endgame
10. Rust
11. Risk
12. 13
13. Super

Offline Art

« Reply #1906 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
Good to see the Youthanasia love.  Top 10 album of all time for me.

YEAH!  :metal

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1907 on: December 22, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
What do you guys have against Thirteen?  I'll admit, when it came out I thought it was a massive disappointment after Endgame.  But then I stopped looking at it as a thrash album and thought of it as a straight up heavy metal album.  These songs are definitely growers, and the more you listen to it, the more you'll find those little gems like Deadly Nightshade, Wrecker, Fast Lane and Black Swan.  Overall, I don't think there's a weak song on that album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1908 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
I don't think there's a great song on that album. Even the ones that are good are just slightly above average in my opinion. Such a bland and uninteresting collection of tracks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1909 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:52 AM »
1. ...And Justice For All
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4.The Black Album
5. Kill 'em All
6. Death Magnetic
7. Reload
8. Load
9. St. Anger
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: December 22, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4.The Black Album
5. Kill 'em All
6. Death Magnetic
7. Reload
8. Load
9. St. Anger
:tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1911 on: December 22, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
What do you guys have against Thirteen?  I'll admit, when it came out I thought it was a massive disappointment after Endgame.  But then I stopped looking at it as a thrash album and thought of it as a straight up heavy metal album.  These songs are definitely growers, and the more you listen to it, the more you'll find those little gems like Deadly Nightshade, Wrecker, Fast Lane and Black Swan.  Overall, I don't think there's a weak song on that album.

I think that as an album, it just doesn't really hold up. I really only like the title track. Millenium of the Blind and Black Swan are pretty sweet as well, but I prefer the original versions of those two tracks, and the rest just doesn't interest me. Okay, Sudden Death is alright, I suppose.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1912 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4.The Black Album
5. Kill 'em All
6. Death Magnetic
7. Reload
8. Load
9. St. Anger

Actually it's more like:

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Death Magnetic
3. ...And Justice For All
4. Master of Puppets
5. Kill 'Em All
6. Metallica
7. Load
8. ReLoad
9. St. Anger

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1913 on: December 22, 2014, 11:30:04 PM »
1. Hatebreeder
2. Follow The Reaper
3. Are You Dead Yet?
4. Blooddrunk
5. Something Wild
6. Hate Crew Deathroll
7. Halo of Blood
8. Relentless Reckless Forever

Geez ya dinguses, get it right.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1914 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
https://twitter.com/DaveMustaine/status/547178093333315584

"I wish @Megadeth fans could know what is going on right now…you would be very happy!"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »
Phil Rudd :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: December 23, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
Clearly the best fit for any band.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: December 23, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
Clearly the best fit for any band.  :lol

Trying to get him in the studio is murder :neverusethis:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
Deth Warmed Up

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1919 on: December 23, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
In before Hammett/Ulrich reveal.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Art

« Reply #1920 on: December 24, 2014, 03:30:28 AM »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1921 on: December 25, 2014, 12:14:38 PM »
I've always disliked Rust in Peace. I don't like any of the songs on that album. Very rough list off the top of my head (will probably even forget some albums):

1. Peace
2. Youth
3. Countdown

I don't see how anyone who put PSBWB and CTE that high could dislike Holy Wars (maybe the greatest Megadeth song ever), Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls...  :\
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1922 on: December 25, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »

Actually it's more like:

2. Death Magnetic

lolopinion

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1923 on: December 25, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »

1. Peace
2. Youth
3. Countdown

I don't see how anyone who put PSBWB and CTE that high could dislike Holy Wars (maybe the greatest Megadeth song ever), Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls...  :\

I don't like Holy Wars, I don't like Hangar 18, I don't like Tornado of Souls, I don't like Five Magics, I don't like Poison Was the Cure, I don't like Take No Prisoners.... I do quite enjoy Rust in Peace.... Polaris. I like straight forward thrash that I can headbang to with a generic beat, and RiP has Dave's most unique songwriting. PSBWB is much more straight forward thrash.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: December 25, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »

1. Peace
2. Youth
3. Countdown

That's actually how opinions work.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.