Author Topic: King's X Appreciation Thread  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
King's X Appreciation Thread
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
All hail the mighty KING'S X. Perhaps THE most underrated rock band of all time.

Just listening to my three favs by them - Dogman, Ear Candy, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and realized after doing a search...we have NO THREADS on this mighty band. Situation rectified.

Appreciate. Now.

:hefdaddy
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: King's X Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
They have a great sound.  I like the vocals, including some great lead singing and great harmonies.  They don't quite go "full prog" but their songs tend to have a bit more going on than your average radio dreck.  Also, they always have a positive message, and that's cool too.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
I thought there used to be a thread on them...

Anyway, I love King's X. I started getting into them about 2 years ago. My older brother's a huge fan, so I had always heard their music, but I always dismissed them for whatever reason. I now have most of their albums, and I've seen them live twice (once as the headliner, once opening for Porcupine Tree).

Their live performances are what set them apart, in my opinion. They're just spot on. Well, aside from the end of the one show when Doug accepted a drink from a fan and then looked like he was about to pass out for the last couple songs. He then forgot to re-tune his bass, and they had to restart a song. All of that just made it an even more memorable show, though. :lol But they have such great energy, and Doug is great at interacting with members of the crowd. He's such a sweet, lovable guy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »
LOVE THEM!!!!  Seen them in 89' a few times in the 90's(With Dishwalla) and a few times in the 2000's(Thanks DT and P-Tree!).  I just listened to Out of a Silent Planet this afternoon so quite a coincidence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
King's X are an amazing band. Dogman might be my favorite album of all time.

At first glance, they don't sound all that special. Then you realize their vocalists come from two different backgrounds - pop and soul - and often times they blend the two inside harmonies. Then you realize their music is parts funk, metal, pop and rock.

Then you realize, unlike what Orbert said, they have a lot more going for them than your average radio dreck. A lot more than most bands, actually.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
Good band.  Faith Hope Love and Gretchen Goes to Nebraska are my favorite records of theirs. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
Their first five albums are all great, in my opinion. I think the self-titled and Dogman are my favorites, though.

Offline 02T

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
Ear Candy is my favorite, and "A Box" is one of my top 5 all time favorite songs.
bradbaileymusic.com
Facebook.com/BradBaileyGTR
Twitter @BradBaileyGTR

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
here's my obligatory Manic Moonlight appreciation post.

The album rules, beginning to end. It flows perfectly. Despite even how the band themselves feel about it, I still feel it's the best record they've made since the self-titled.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »
Really good band, but I go in phases with them.  I'll get to a place where I just have to listen to them, and then after a few spins, I can put them away for months without thinking of them again.  Kinda hard to explain why.  But I fully agree with most of the comments above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
here's my obligatory Manic Moonlight appreciation post.

The album rules, beginning to end. It flows perfectly. Despite even how the band themselves feel about it, I still feel it's the best record they've made since the self-titled.

Interesting. I would rank that as my least favorite, or a tie between that and Black LIke Sunday.

For all KX fans, if you haven't read my article on the band (featuring an interview with Doug Pinnick), check it out:

https://breakdownroom.net/kingsx1109.html
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »
The first three albums and the live one have a very special place in my heart, but I love everything they've done. I don't have XV though, so I don't know about that one. How can you not like the groove?

Even the solo and side projects that I have are pretty cool too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
The first three albums and the live one have a very special place in my heart, but I love everything they've done. I don't have XV though, so I don't know about that one. How can you not like the groove?

I personally think XV is better than Ogre Tones.  Go and get it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

I personally think XV is better than Ogre Tones.  Go and get it!

my ratings of those 2:

XV: 86/100
Ogre Tones: 62/100

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
Need to add:  We Were Born To Be Loved is one of the greatest songs ever by anybody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »

I personally think XV is better than Ogre Tones.  Go and get it!

my ratings of those 2:

I don't trust anybody who rates albums out of 100 by choice.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »
I have XV, Gretchen, and Dogman.  Dogman is the clear winner, it really kicks your ass.  My only problem is I have trouble hearing the basslines in the music, and seeing as I've heard a lot of praise for Doug, I kind of wish they were more discernible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
I have XV, Gretchen, and Dogman.  Dogman is the clear winner, it really kicks your ass.  My only problem is I have trouble hearing the basslines in the music, and seeing as I've heard a lot of praise for Doug, I kind of wish they were more discernible.

Sky, are you talking cetain albums or all of their albums.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »

I personally think XV is better than Ogre Tones.  Go and get it!

my ratings of those 2:

I don't trust anybody who rates albums out of 100 by choice.

XV: 8.6/10 or in other words, a good 4-star record.
Ogre Tones: 6.2/10 or in other words a weak 3-star record.

better?