Author Topic: Extreme - Take Us Alive  (Read 2567 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Extreme - Take Us Alive
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
Anyone else have this?  I picked up both the CD and the DVD yesterday.  Bummer that Mutha, War Heads, and Mean Street got cut from both the CD and DVD, but otherwise, no complaints.  The performance was pretty tight and the band were maniacs.  I got a chance to watch the DVD in the background last night while I was working, and although I have seen the band live and experienced their energy firsthand, I will still blown away by their energy on the DVD.  They just look like they are having so much fun. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Extreme - Take Us Alive
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »
I forgot all about this!  Thanks Bosk1, I'm heading out tonight for it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
There are a couple of quick audience shots where I saw a dude a couple of times that looked like rumborak.  Not sure whether it was actually him or not, but it could be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
Got the DVD (as you know). Watching tonight. But I guarantee OUR show was better.  ;)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:20 AM »
CD is on order from Amazon under the super saver shipping, so I will get it eventually...

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
I saw them in August at a small club in New Haven CT. (Toads Place) They were awesome! The only that bummed me out is there was only about 200 people in the club that holds about 800, and it was a Friday night. The energy they put forth was unbelievable. They played as if there was 60,000 people to entertain. They were truly professional.

Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
Great photos, tick.

Watched half the DVD last night. Will probably watch the remainder this evening. Great stuff. Show is as energetic as I remember from the one I saw in Aug. 2008.

Anyone know what that tat on Nuno's arm symbolizes or stands for? It was also used as a light effect on the DVD during a break between songs (it was outlined over the backdrop).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
Anyone know what that tat on Nuno's arm symbolizes or stands for? It was also used as a light effect on the DVD during a break between songs (it was outlined over the backdrop).
I think it's the Japanese symbol for "I'm so awesome that when I walk into a room, guitars start crying and urinating on themselves."  But that's a somewhat loose translation.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
I just watched the DVD this weekend and,

1.  What a great sounding DVD.
2.  They were on that night.
3.  I forgot (or took for granted) how good their harmonies are.
4.  Nuno is a god.

My only regret was that the DVD didn't have then playing Last Hour.  I would have loved to see that live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
4.  Nuno is a god.

Stylistically, I hear a lot of similarities to the way Jake E. Lee and Randy Rhodes played in that it is rare for him to just play a basic riff and repeat it without doing something different to it or just play a chord and let it ring by itself.  His fingers always have to be moving, adding little licks and flourishes everywhere.  He can play the same riff pattern 20 times in a song, and each time, it will have a subtle variation to it that makes it different from the other 19.  And, dare I say it, of those three guitarists, he might very well be the best.  But in any case, he's in some amazing company.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
I find Rhodes gets lost in the "greatest guitarists" discussions. Maybe cause the candle blew out so quickly.....

good photos.

how is the live CD for sound?
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
4.  Nuno is a god.

Stylistically, I hear a lot of similarities to the way Jake E. Lee and Randy Rhodes played in that it is rare for him to just play a basic riff and repeat it without doing something different to it or just play a chord and let it ring by itself.  His fingers always have to be moving, adding little licks and flourishes everywhere.  He can play the same riff pattern 20 times in a song, and each time, it will have a subtle variation to it that makes it different from the other 19.  And, dare I say it, of those three guitarists, he might very well be the best.  But in any case, he's in some amazing company.

It's so effortless for him Bosk1.  He seems to make the hard seem easy, plus from riffing right to singing back to riffing.  The man is a talent.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »
MUTHA GOT CUT FROM THE DVD?!

FUCK
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
I think it's the Japanese symbol for "I'm so awesome that when I walk into a room, guitars start crying and urinating on themselves."  But that's a somewhat loose translation.

While I was entirely inclined to believe this, as I agree whole-heartedly (more bad punnage), it is the logo for his short-lived band "Mourning Widows".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_Widows

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
Thanks Coz!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Ooh, bought this today, running right now in the background :)

But no, bosk, unless they're also showing footage from the other Boston gig (Pavillion), I'm not on that DVD. :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 01:04:25 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be buying this in about 10 minutes

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »
Wow, that is one good live DVD. They are so on, it's not even funny. And Nuno's solo during "Do you want to play" is just jaw-dropping.

rumborak

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »
Wow, that is one good live DVD. They are so on, it's not even funny. And Nuno's solo during "Do you want to play" is just jaw-dropping.

rumborak

They do sound great and the DVD is well done, both from a video standpoint and audio.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
I liked their first three albums, I have not followed them in some time, but the reviews of this DVD are peaking my interest.

smoke signals I think it was called on their first CD was my fav
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyAWA08_V-A

From 3:20 on :eek

rumborak

And that is why he is my favourite guitarist.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyAWA08_V-A

From 3:20 on :eek

rumborak

I love the little bluesy riff he throws in the middle and then back on the the fiery solo.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »
Just watched the DVD. Very enjoyable and very good quality. I wish they didn't exclude War heads, but ya can't have it all.(where would ya put it?)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »
I watched a few songs of the HD Net broadcast last night. VERY cool. It is shot from entirely different cameras, so it's like watching an entirely new show. I really, really hope this becomes available on Blu ray at some point, because the new angles are just killer.