Author Topic: Another example of a band-member who "gets" what fans want  (Read 1781 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Bonus tracks on album.  We love 'em because they are nice extras, and when we love a band, we often want to have everything they put out.  And we hate 'em because we generally have to shell out extra bucks for some import or deluxe edition just to get the extra song(s).  Here's a shining example of a band who gets that and has done something about it.

Y&T's new album, due out May 21, is being released in 3 formats:  U.S. edition with 15 tracks.  European edition with the original 15 + 1 bonus track.  Japanese edition with the original 15 + 1 completely different bonus track.  That means anyone who wants all 17 official tracks must, at the very least, buy both import version, right?  Wrong.  The band didn't want to do it that way, but the label and distributors required the bonus tracks on the import versions.  What the band did about it is this:  They secured the rights to make the two bonus tracks downloadable from their website once the import versions are released.  That way, fans who don't want to shell out the money for an expensive import (2 separate imports, actually) will have the opportunity to purchase the domestic release and then download the two additional tracks for about a buck each.  This may seem like a small thing, and maybe it is.  But the reality is, most bands don't go above and beyond to do things like this for the fans.  Kudos to Dave Meniketti for getting it right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Another example of a band-member who "gets" what fans want
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
I'm not a huge Y&T fan, but that is pretty awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »
Great idea.

Though I have to be the malcontent I must say I don't like bonus tracks in 90% of cases. There are examples where I actually wonder why they are not regular album tracks and work perfectly on the album (e.g. Paradise Lost "Cardinal Zero" on the album Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us, or Katatonia "Ashen" on Night is the New Day), but usually if they are put on the same CD, I don't like it. They're hardly ever good enough to stand up to the level of the album itself, and they break the integrity of the album itself - closing track is a closing track, I don't want anything afterwards. But then, trying to program it so it's somewhere in between hardly ever works either...

I prefer some kind of unreleased track EPs or singles with several B-sides (aforementioned Katatonia has mastered this skill, they have 2-3 pretty cheap and easily accessible singles for most albums with plenty of nice unreleased tracks), it works much better.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »
VERY good move by Meniketti and Y&T.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »
Dave is a living legend, so underrated!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
Making those tracks available :tup
Waiting over a dozen years for 'em  :tdwn

Sersiously, I'm looking forward to Facemelter!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
Sersiously, I'm looking forward to Facemelter!

I was honestly hesitant about having any expectations whatsoever for the new album.  But after seeing the video for I'm Coming Home, I am truly excited.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."