Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 217556 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Batman 3
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
Samsara, to me, the essence of Batman's character (and something of which Nolan in particular is very cognizant) is that he isn't very much less crazy than the maniacs he opposes.  Robin lessens that to the point of Batman becoming just another guy in a costume.  To me, it is demeaning to the character.

If anyone could make it work, it would probably be Nolan, but thankfully he seems very against the idea of Robin - as well as against the idea of any larger DC Universe of which Batman would be a member, like the Marvel Film Universe currently being assembled.  I'm OK with that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
Besides, Robin would sound retarded doing that "loud whisper" thing caped avengers are supposed to do when in costume in Nolan's universe.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
Besides, Robin would sound retarded doing that "loud whisper" thing caped avengers are supposed to do when in costume in Nolan's universe.

Though I'd love to see what actor he had in mind. Remember when you first heard Heath Ledger was playing the Joker?  But I wouldn't want to see it either.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
Michael Cera could play a wimpy Robin who's very indecisive. ;)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »

Hah! What's next? Chris Evans will play a sarcastic punk?

HAH!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »

Hah! What's next? Chris Evans will play a sarcastic punk?

HAH!

Captain America is going to be totally rad, bitches.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
I always liked Killer Croc and Clayface but that would never happen, nor would I really want to see that. Well, maybe Killer Croc.

Online Adami

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »
I think Batman should have to fight a bunch of other people pretending to be batman who want him out of the picture. Unlike the hockey gear people in TDK they can be rich as well, well trained and well costumed. They can be played by Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney and answer to the sinister Adam West.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »
The Dark Knight really wasn't that good... I liked the one before that, and I will probably see the third one in theaters.

Online Adami

« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »
The Dark Knight really wasn't that good...

Between this and your insane praise of avatar, I now value your opinions on movies. I will do the opposite of what you suggest :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
The Dark Knight really wasn't that good...

Between this and your insane praise of avatar, I now value your opinions on movies. I will do the opposite of what you suggest :)

I suggest watching the following;

Patch Adams, Back to the Future, Back to the Future Part II, Back to the Future Part III, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, I Am Sam, Boondock Saints, Home Alone 1, Home Alone 2, Weekend at bernies, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Clerks II, Wayne's World, Starman, Field of Dreams, The Big Lebowski, Independence Day, This Is Spinal Tap, Miracle, Glory, Dazed and Confused, Gladiator, Radio, Mighty Ducks, The Patriot, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Across the Universe, The Pursuit of Happyness, My Cousin Vinny, Contact, The Legend of Bagard Vance, Armageddon, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, National Treasure, Live Free or Die Hard, Transformers, 8 Men Out, The Perfect Storm, American Pie, American Pie 2, American Pie 3, Nothing After That, Tommy Boy, Heavyweights, Taladega Nights, Good Burger, Dumb and Dumber, Waiting..., Just Friends, Behind Enemy Lines, The Replacements, Cast Away, Mystery, Alaska, A knights tale, Apollo 13, Joe Dirt, Camp Nowhere, 40 Year Old Virgin, Office Space, 61*, A League of Their Own, Anchorman, Eight Crazy Nights, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Rain Man, Awakenings, Austin Powers 1 2 Not 3

Online Adami

« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »
Few good movies. Lots of eh ones.

But touche.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2010, 12:19:20 AM »
Few good movies. Lots of eh ones.

But touche.

I head nod to you in respect.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
Avatar is a freakin beautiful piece of art.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:31 AM »
Batman 3: Raping Dead Horses.

I've realized that you're the reliable comedic "finishing blow"
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 01:08:06 AM »
I am not sure how to take that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2010, 01:08:47 AM »
Samsara, to me, the essence of Batman's character (and something of which Nolan in particular is very cognizant) is that he isn't very much less crazy than the maniacs he opposes.  Robin lessens that to the point of Batman becoming just another guy in a costume.  To me, it is demeaning to the character.

That's what I was going to say, but in two rambling paragraphs instead of one really good one.

The core conflict in Batman is how a crazy person channels that craziness into upholding moral ideas. The Dark Knight forced him into making endless compromises until he had to become a fugitive to uphold his principles. Not how Batman can rediscover his humanity. That part of him is dead.

Just to avoid being purely disagreeable, in a Batman TV series Robin would be a good character because he creates more dimension. But in a movie trilogy with a necessarily tight story, it's clutter.

I am not sure how to take that.

Coming up with a punchline to a joke is hard enough. Coming up with a punchline for other punchlines is even harder. I salute you.
Over and over again

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
I think I've said repeatedly that Robin won't be in Nolan's universe.

But this whole notion of Bruce Wayne not being a father is laughable. All people change over time. So you mean to tell me that Bruce Wayne will always be the same?

The point of Dick Grayson/Robin is to help mature both Bruce Wayne as a man and Batman, realizing that you can't always handle the darkness alone.

Again, good discussion, but everyone sort of assumes that Robin is just camp, or not capable as a character of adding to the story in a good way. I will always be firmly against that. If written correctly, he absolutely can do so.

But for probably the third or fourth time, I agree that Robin will not appear in a Nolan Bat film. He's said so.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:38 AM »
But this whole notion of Bruce Wayne not being a father is laughable. All people change over time. So you mean to tell me that Bruce Wayne will always be the same?
Not exactly.  But he won't be much different, either.  That's why, as a comic book character, he has survived so long.

The point of Dick Grayson/Robin is to help mature both Bruce Wayne as a man and Batman, realizing that you can't always handle the darkness alone.
But Bruce isn't alone.  He already has Alfred, and Commissioner Gordon, and that lady that took him in when he was a kid.  Can the point be taken further?  Probably, but the best way to do that can't be reckless endangerment of a minor, while forcing that minor to wear day-glo colors.

Again, good discussion, but everyone sort of assumes that Robin is just camp, or not capable as a character of adding to the story in a good way. I will always be firmly against that. If written correctly, he absolutely can do so.
If you say so.  If that's true, I've never seen him written correctly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
Spoken like a true Robin-hater.   :lol

It's all good hef. We'll just agree to disagree.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »
Spoken like a true Robin-hater.   :lol

It's all good hef. We'll just agree to disagree.
:tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »
I may not be with Hef on his overall point, but I'm definitely with him on the dayglow colors.  The only correct way to write Robin's character in that scenario is to have him constantly mocked about his costume by villain, hero, and everyday citizen alike until he eventually snaps and has to be locked up in Arkham, where he has a long time for his pent-up hatred and resentment to fester toward Bruce for making him wear such a silly outfit and be the butt of jokes during his entire adolescence.  He comes to view Bruce/Batman as a vicious tormentor, and ultimately escapes to become Batman's prime nemesis and will hatch a plan the likes of which the world has never seen to publicly humiliate and ultimately kill him, but not until after leaving town for two years to study fashion in Paris and come up with a better custume in which to carry out his evil plot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Color me a romanticist, but the reason why I like these colors (see below) is that it is a light in a sea of darkness. A reminder that while Batman is dark and does things in the dead of night, you don't forget about humanity and its light. In recent years, they got rid of the green and made it red, black, and a tinge of yellow. But I prefer the green, orange, yellow, with the exterior of the cape being black because of that light-dark reasoning.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
The only correct way to write Robin's character in that scenario is to have him constantly mocked about his costume by villain, hero, and everyday citizen alike until he eventually snaps and has to be locked up in Arkham, where he has a long time for his pent-up hatred and resentment to fester toward Bruce for making him wear such a silly outfit and be the butt of jokes during his entire adolescence.  He comes to view Bruce/Batman as a vicious tormentor, and ultimately escapes to become Batman's prime nemesis and will hatch a plan the likes of which the world has never seen to publicly humiliate and ultimately kill him, but not until after leaving town for two years to study fashion in Paris and come up with a better custume in which to carry out his evil plot.
I WOULD WATCH THAT

But can we work in the horse molestation somewhere?  Probably in France, I would imagine.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
Please, if at all possible, no Riddler.
I really don't understand the slack that the Riddler gets, but I think it's largely due to Jim Carrey's portrayal of him in Burton's film, which is extremely inaccurate of comic book Riddler. In the comic books he's nothing short of a genius, the Joker has no plan as he stated in the film, whereas the Riddler has a plan that you will most definitely follow because he's always two steps ahead of you. Samsara hit the nail on the head whenever he talked about Batman using his detective skills, something a lot of people don't know about Batman because he's too busy being angry and beating people in the face. That's why they were named DC comics: "Detective Comics" (don't believe me, look it up).

The Riddler is the best contender for the 3rd film, I believe it wholeheartedly.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2010, 02:12:01 PM »

Do they ever actually call it the Batmobile in the Nolan movies?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »

No, it was the Tumbler. Although they need a new one for the next film, so perhaps it will be the Batmobile.

BTW, like the image.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »

Is that a real panel from All Star Batman and Robin?
Over and over again

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Characters:

What about Harley Quinn?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »

Is that a real panel from All Star Batman and Robin?

Yep.

Characters:

What about Harley Quinn?

Way to not read the thread at all.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2010, 03:52:16 PM »
Fuck. When you posted that Dr. Who pic I did not bother reading the rest of that page. My bad.

Online Adami

« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
So even though the answer is probably no, but do you think there's a chance of a Justice League movie eventually?

You have a well established and much respected Batman right now, Green Lantern is coming out soon and looks like it will be decent at least. They're trying to figure out a new Superman movie. And with all of the hype over the Avengers movie, do you think a Justice League movie might be in the works?

Like I said, the answer is probably no. But it would be interested to say the least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »
So even though the answer is probably no, but do you think there's a chance of a Justice League movie eventually?

You have a well established and much respected Batman right now, Green Lantern is coming out soon and looks like it will be decent at least. They're trying to figure out a new Superman movie. And with all of the hype over the Avengers movie, do you think a Justice League movie might be in the works?

Like I said, the answer is probably no. But it would be interested to say the least.
I think the "suits" at Warner Brothers would love one, but Nolan wants no part of it, at least with his versions of Batman and Superman.

Online Adami

« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot he's helping with Superman too. Don't think you think it's a bit more likely with them behind two of the members?
fanticide.bandcamp.com