Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 217566 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Batman 3
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
I want The Riddler:biggrin:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:46 PM »
You know what I want? More Bruce Wayne. He was rather absent from TDK. It seemed Batman and Joker too up all the screentime, which was fine, but seriously, Bruce Wayne isn't some inconvient character, he's pretty damn important.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
You know what I want? More Bruce Wayne. He was rather absent from TDK. It seemed Batman and Joker too up all the screentime, which was fine, but seriously, Bruce Wayne isn't some inconvient character, he's pretty damn important.

Yes! Totally agree. This is part of why, for its own reasons, Batman Begins is a fine watch.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
I also heard rumors that they're asking Mikael from Opeth to overdub batmans voice for the 3rd movie. Appearently Christian Bale can't go low and gritty enough, it seems they complain that while he sounds rediculous, he's still understandable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
I think we'll get plenty of Bruce Wayne in the third film. If Nolan is done after three, I would imagine he would craft a film that wraps up this "chapter" of the character's life.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
Christian Bale can't go low and gritty enough

You better take that back or he's gonna CRASH YOUR FUCKIN LIGHTS? DO YOU WANT HIM TO CRASH YOUR FUCKIN LIGHTS?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:16 AM »
reneranucci,

The blog you asked for is now posted. www.gothamcitytimes.blogspot.com

Just my take on your question.  :) It was a good thing to blog on. I kept it short, but gave my thoughts.
Awesome. Thank you very much! Not only was it extremely well-written (really good!) but I think it was very insightful. I´m reading your post about the Dark Knight returns, great stuff there!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
I hope this movie progresses even further and Batman does pig squeals.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
Kinda what I was thinking earlier in this thread

No-one's mentioned her yet but... Harley Quinn...? Kind of ties in with the Joker being in Arkham too.

I've thought of this too. I can kind of see it as her being an emo teenager obsessed with the Joker. After he gets locked up, she tries to continue his legacy, etc. etc. I think is could work.
[/quote]

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:50:20 AM by Volk9 »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
I think that a Riddler + Penguin villains will work pretty good in Batman Three.

Mr. Freeze is not a bad character, and I've heard that Nolan considered doing the new movie with this character, it's just that Arnold's performance will be remembered forever in infamy, and Nolan is aware of this.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »
I think that a Riddler + Penguin villains will work pretty good in Batman Three.

Mr. Freeze is not a bad character, and I've heard that Nolan considered doing the new movie with this character, it's just that Arnold's performance will be remembered forever in infamy, and Nolan is aware of this.
Mr. Freeze is actually a great character... but yeah, they pretty much destroyed him with Arnold and that god-forsaken movie.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
i saw a fake movie poster featuring NPH as the riddler. That would be awesome :D

Online Adami

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »

Actually Nolan said there's no way he'd do Mr. Freeze. And it has nothing to do with trying to top Arnold.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »
I was really excited about the rumored prospect of Johnny Depp as Riddler, but I thought I remember hearing that Nolan didn't want to do Riddler either because he was too similar to the Joker.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
i saw a fake movie poster featuring NPH as the riddler. That would be awesome :D

Yep, there's also two with Kristen Bell as Harley Quinn and David Tenant as the Riddler:

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
I enjoy Harley Quinn as a character, but she's not appropriate for Nolan's universe. The Riddler, if portrayed correctly, is very much appropriate. And David Tennant would do a badass job.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
I dunno. Harley Quinn doesn't have to be the over-the-top character portrayed in animated series at least. I would like to see Nolan try out a strong female villain such as

Online Adami

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »
I doubt Harley Quinn could be a main villain. However, a secondary villain like scarecrow I could see her pulling off quite well.

The Riddler could work, but might be a bit too similar to The Joker. Maybe a lesser known villain, one who isn't as flamboyant as The Joker or Batman. That's what Raz was, just a normal looking guy who was very calm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
I don't think Harley would be too good of an idea for a villain.  The best way I can think of her in Nolan's universe is that she bought in to the Joker's whole crazy plan in the last movie, and strives to be just like her idol.  That would mean basically another Joker, and repeating the last movie in terms of evil plotting.  The Riddler would also be a bit too similar to the Joker, with his "fun" sort of personality.  Plus, he's kinda lame until "Hush."  Hm...Hush, now there's an idea.  Maybe Deadshot would work well too.  Maybe Nolan could try the whole Robin thing out, but use Jason Todd as an example of heroes going too far after he "dies" and becomes Red Hood?  There are so many ideas!  So much speculation!  MUST HAVE NEW BATMAN MOVIE.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
Please, no Robin, no Dick Grayson, no Jason Todd, no others.

Please, no Harley Quinn.

Please, if at all possible, no Riddler.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

I really don't understand the slack that the Riddler gets, but I think it's largely due to Jim Carrey's portrayal of him in Burton's film, which is extremely inaccurate of comic book Riddler. In the comic books he's nothing short of a genius, the Joker has no plan as he stated in the film, whereas the Riddler has a plan that you will most definitely follow because he's always two steps ahead of you. Samsara hit the nail on the head whenever he talked about Batman using his detective skills, something a lot of people don't know about Batman because he's too busy being angry and beating people in the face. That's why they were named DC comics: "Detective Comics" (don't believe me, look it up).

The Riddler is the best contender for the 3rd film, I believe it wholeheartedly.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
Jim Carrey's portrayal of The Riddler was the only good thing about Forever, other than Nicole Kidman -oh the wet dreams I had back then- and that was JS's movie, not Tim Burton.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
If Harley is going to be in it at all, I think she'd only serve as a side character, and not the 'main' villain.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
Harley is a potential chance for Nolan to feed off the Joker's vibe from The Dark Knight and since he's not that kind of artist then I doubt she'll be there.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
Yeah, I doubt she'll be in it. Riddler seems like the most obvious choice.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »

I really don't understand the slack that the Riddler gets, but I think it's largely due to Jim Carrey's portrayal of him in Burton's film, which is extremely inaccurate of comic book Riddler. In the comic books he's nothing short of a genius, the Joker has no plan as he stated in the film, whereas the Riddler has a plan that you will most definitely follow because he's always two steps ahead of you. Samsara hit the nail on the head whenever he talked about Batman using his detective skills, something a lot of people don't know about Batman because he's too busy being angry and beating people in the face. That's why they were named DC comics: "Detective Comics" (don't believe me, look it up).

The Riddler is the best contender for the 3rd film, I believe it wholeheartedly.
If you say so.  I read the Batman comics off and on when I was younger.  Most of the time that I was "on" the Riddler must have been locked up.  I never read a "great" Riddler story - he always seemed a lame, second-rate villain when I did see him.  Maybe I just didn't get to read the right books.

On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly about Batman using his detective skills.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2010, 06:57:32 AM »
So am I the only one who felt that, despite the Joker's claims that he is totally anarchic and doesn't plan anything, that this wasn't true in the slightest? There are plenty of points in the film where it's obvious he's thought through what could follow from one action quite carefully, and has made preparations for those possibilities in advance. The middle sequence of the film makes this pretty clear. (TL;DR, just go to the last paragraph).

When Dent turns himself in as the Batman, the Joker obviously doesn't buy it. He shows no surprise when the Batbike (whatever it's called) shows up. So he attacks the police van with Dent expecting that by doing so, he can lure Batman out, so the public sees he wasn't Dent. On top of that, drawing Batman out is vital to the degree to which his later schemes fuck with his head.

Cos before the Joker even sets out to attack the van, he already has another plan ready to go: capturing Dent and Dawes. He must have planned this in advance, because he can give details on what has happened to them while in jail, and without receiving any phone call. In other words, we can assume he had this other scenario set up to test out Batman after the chase (since the Joker knows that both Dawes and Dent are both extremely important to Batman for different reasons) just in case he did manage to save Dent. (Although it's fairly clear the Joker didn't plan to kill Dent at all).

Add to that the fact that, as Gordon says, the Joker seemed to actually plan to be caught in the chase just so the Rachel/Dent scenario was more effective and he could better screw with Batman...

Either that entire middle sequence in the film hinges on a remarkable string of coincidences, that the Joker had several separate plans ready to go that just happened to coincide with the plot as it unravelled in a way that they gelled into one and delivered X even more interesting implications, or he had anticipated the relationships between the characters, the way they would react in the situation, and planned it all. This is actually one of my only problems with the movie, that for that plot to have actually been remotely possible, the Joker must have been thinking ahead of everyone about ten steps, and the police and Batman did exactly what he wanted them to at every single one.

But my point is, I don't think the Riddler would make an interesting villain in the third film because a villain with elaborate schemes has already been explored (if not to the "oooh, look how clever I am" level of the Riddler). If they did use the Riddler, unless they make incredible efforts to distinguish him from the Joker, it could come across as nothing but a repeat, and I'm not sure that Nolan would run that kind of risk.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
If you say so.  I read the Batman comics off and on when I was younger.  Most of the time that I was "on" the Riddler must have been locked up.  I never read a "great" Riddler story - he always seemed a lame, second-rate villain when I did see him.  Maybe I just didn't get to read the right books.

On the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly about Batman using his detective skills.

Yeah, the Riddler is pretty lame.  He actually becomes respectable in "Batman: Hush" though. 

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
I'd like to see Harley Quinn as a side villain. I think it'd work
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
Jim Carrey's portrayal of The Riddler was the only good thing about Forever, other than Nicole Kidman -oh the wet dreams I had back then- and that was JS's movie, not Tim Burton.

Burton produced the film. I think it's the reason why Forever worked, and still had many dark elements, unlike Batman & Robin.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »

Burton produced the film. I think it's the reason why Forever worked, and still had many dark elements, unlike Batman & Robin.
You think it worked?  I thought it was awful.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »

But my point is, I don't think the Riddler would make an interesting villain in the third film because a villain with elaborate schemes has already been explored (if not to the "oooh, look how clever I am" level of the Riddler). If they did use the Riddler, unless they make incredible efforts to distinguish him from the Joker, it could come across as nothing but a repeat, and I'm not sure that Nolan would run that kind of risk.

Fluff - go read my blog about the Riddler earlier in this thread, or go to the very first posts of my blog - gothamcitytimes.blogspot.com. You can make the Riddler very interesting if you do it right. But he'd be ONE character to make it interesting.

Truth be told, whoever mentioned Harley Quinn, I think it's farfetched. Always did. So a little chippy who is infatuated with The Joker becomes a big deal? Bah, I don't think it'll work out like that.

I just posted a new blog on Ra's al Ghul for the third film. www.gothamcitytimes.blogspot.com. I don't think it would be the right way to go, but it IS a possibility...

reneranucci,

Thanks about the blog. I really would like to see my vision of TDKR come to the big screen one day...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:32:00 AM by Samsära »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

You think it worked?  I thought it was awful.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

You think it worked?  I thought it was awful.
Sure, Forever was campier than the Keaton movies, but at least it got the character right. I tried watching Batman Returns the other day and couldn't get past the following:

Batman torching a guy with his flamexhaust from the Batmobile.
Batman stuffing several sticks of dynamite into a goon's pants.
Batman raining missiles on Penguin.

Batman doesn't kill.

Then there were some rather goofy gadgets for every situation. The large pole that comes out the bottom of the Batmobile to spin it around, the sides that conveniently pop off for narrow alleys, and mini-wings that conveniently pop out the side to knock over guys on stilts. That was almost as bad as ice skates popping out of his shoes to play hockey with a diamond.

For a movie that took itself so seriously, it had an awful lot of stuff that was just plain campy.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Adami

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
Doesn't make Batman Forever any less horrible. Just cause he didn't kill doesn't mean they got the character right.
fanticide.bandcamp.com