Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 217593 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1715 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »
Not to bring all this up again, but I sometimes I love collegehumour

https://www.collegehumor.com/embed/6861344/cinema-sins-everything-wrong-with-the-dark-knight-rises

Only a fraction of these are the reasons it was one of my bigger letdowns this year.  Still a good movie; still enjoyed it; but definitely felt letdown.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1716 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
Nice. There's also that scene where Wayne talks to Fox and he holds his cane differently in different shots.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1717 on: September 11, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
Been re-watching all the batman films lately and just felt like doing a ranking. Not saying any are "better" than the others, but this is just what my personal ranking

1. Batman Returns- just as dark and fucked up as I am. Love it and always identified with it. My personal favorite.

2. Batman 89- The one that started it all. Just love all of it

3. Batman Begins- Wow, oh wow. My jaw was on the ground watching this. After the nightmare that is "batman and robin", I thought the franchise was dead forever and never knew that the series could be portrayed this way

4. Rises- I am captivated by bane. Just wildly fascinated. And I've always loved catwoman, so this one is a no brainer.

5. Dark Knight- Saw it 3 times in the theater. Lost my shit over Ledger's performance as did many, but upon many more viewings I've cooled on it. Still love all the scenes with ledger, but besides that I really feel that 152 minute run time. But that's just me. 

6. Batman forever- A guilty pleasure. I was 7 when it came out and just ate it up. Yeah, its pretty wacky, but no where near as wacky as what would follow and probably because of the nostalgia I still dig it to this day. My only major complaint was that Tommy lee could have been an awesome two face, but with tone of this film, it just wasn't going to happen.

7. Batman and robin- yeah...  no words

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1718 on: September 11, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
Man, not even my hardy for Hardy or love for character of Bane could save Rises for me. So. Damn. Disappointed.

But I do love Begins and TDK so much. I was happy the story closed nicely, but it felt so underdeveloped and dull to me for the most part.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1719 on: September 11, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
1. Batman Begins

2. The Dark Knight

3. Batman (1989)

4. Batman Returns

5. The Dark Knight Rises

6. Batman Forever

7. Batman and Robin

The latter two are so awful that I would actually rather watch the 1960s Adam West series/TV movies since, while BF and B&R are every bit as campy as the sixties dreck, the sixties dreck isn't as annoying.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1720 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:39 PM »
Ya, and I really cannot get over the whole "Oh, your back is broken?  No problem! We'll just pop that right back in.  6 months of pull ups and you'll be right as rain!" angle. 

I mean, you spent 2 movies trying to establish a more "realistic" version of Batman, and then you just completely throw the entire ideal out the window through most of the 2nd act of Rises.    It just ruins the entire feel of the trilogy for me. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1721 on: September 11, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
BTW...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman (always thought Nicholson's Joker was completely disappointing.  If it wasn't for that, it would be much higher)
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Batman and Robin

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1722 on: September 11, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
I actually liked Nicholson's Joker, at least compared to Cesar Romero's, which is all we had to go by.  I even thought that I would never be able to buy another actor in the role, but Heath Ledger greatly surprised me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1723 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
The Joker that was in my imagination was fully realized when Heath Ledger nailed it.   That was the Joker I had in my imagination when I walked into the theater in 1989... that was why what I ended up with fell far short.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1724 on: September 12, 2015, 12:59:31 AM »
1 - The Dark Knight
2 - The Dark Knight Rises
3 - Batman Begins
4 - Batman Returns

Never bothered with the rest.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1725 on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1726 on: September 12, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

Dead on Jimmy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:07:31 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: September 12, 2015, 05:14:53 AM »
Not really, but to each their own.

Dark Knight
Batman
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin (though, it's so bad I've either purged it from my memory, or never have seen it start-to-finish)

I'm totally with Jammindude on TDKR... they just stretched the "shaaww... as if" factor way too much in too many scenario's.  The only thing good about TDKR was the College Humour skit that resulted.  One of the funniest things I've ever watched.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1728 on: September 12, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
Not really, but to each their own.

Dark Knight
Batman
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin (though, it's so bad I've either purged it from my memory, or never have seen it start-to-finish)

I'm totally with Jammindude on TDKR... they just stretched the "shaaww... as if" factor way too much in too many scenario's.  The only thing good about TDKR was the College Humour skit that resulted.  One of the funniest things I've ever watched.

Glad to have been of service!

I disagree with your assessment of TDKR though. It was nowhere near the brilliance of the first two, but it was a good movie anyway - it just felt underwhelming because it closed off a trilogy with two other amazing installments preceding it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1729 on: September 12, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Watching The Dark Knight on MTV right now. 

Even after dozens of viewings, my mouth still drops open at Ledger's performance.     I still say....greatest movie villain in cinema history. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1730 on: September 13, 2015, 02:21:10 AM »

Even after dozens of viewings, my mouth still drops open at Ledger's performance.     I still say....greatest movie villain in cinema history.

He's definitely up there. What I love about him is the unpredictability of his acting. Seeing it for the first time was especially fascinating, because you never knew what he would do next. As soon as he showed up on screen, he just captured the audience.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1731 on: September 13, 2015, 03:09:49 AM »
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

Dead on Jimny.
Yeah I'd probably go with this, possibly swap 2 and 3 around.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: September 13, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman
5. Batman Forever
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

Dead on Jimny.
Yeah I'd probably go with this, possibly swap 2 and 3 around.

Uptown Top Ranking :

1. Batman
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Dark Knight *
5. Batman Forever & Batman Returns
7. Batman and Robin

* I watched it recently and apart from Heath Ledger - it's way too long and that bit on the two boats was completely extraneous. Even if it did represent the theme of the movie. It just felt tacked on.

And Harvey Dent should have had his own movie. He becomes two face right at the end and is dead 20 minutes later.

For all the problems with "...Rises " - I just prefer it. Talia had way more to do than Two Face and Bane is just great.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1733 on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

He's definitely up there. What I love about him is the unpredictability of his acting. Seeing it for the first time was especially fascinating, because you never knew what he would do next. As soon as he showed up on screen, he just captured the audience.

I'll never forget seeing "the pencil trick" in the theater for the first time.   I've never in my life experienced anything like that feeling before, or since.    It was as if the barometric pressure went out of the theater.    It's the only time I can remember being a part of such a collective experience of uncomfortable shock.   No one was quite sure of what they had just seen...and they weren't sure how to react.     

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: September 13, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »

I'll never forget seeing "the pencil trick" in the theater for the first time.   I've never in my life experienced anything like that feeling before, or since.    It was as if the barometric pressure went out of the theater.    It's the only time I can remember being a part of such a collective experience of uncomfortable shock.   No one was quite sure of what they had just seen...and they weren't sure how to react.   

Plus, it was just fuckin awesome.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1735 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman Returns / The Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman Forever

Yeah, I'll be one of those schmucks that loves The Dark Knight the most. The first 3/4 of the most is fantastic and yeah, that last part with the boats does feel a bit tacked on, but it's no worse than some of the stuff in Rises. Both are overly long movies but only Rises feels excessively long.

The Micheal Keaton Batman I think holds up rather well actually. Sure it's not super GRIM and SERIOUS like Nolan's versions, but Burton's take was a logical step from the camp of the 60's era Batman, and for it's time, it was seen as a rather dark movie. I also like Nicholson as the Joker. It's not as iconic or different as Ledgers but it's still quite good.

Begins is almost the perfect intro/origin movie... for the first half or so. Great buildup with Cillian Murphy playing an excellent and sadly completely underused Scarecrow that just absolutely falls apart once the water-vaporiser/mcguffin is introduced in the latter half of the movie. It just becomes almost silly at the end with Gordon driving the bat-tank, the inmates escaping, and Batman righting Ras on the elevated train. It's supposed to epic and climactic but I just don't think it holds up that well on rewatches at all.

Returns and Rises both occupy the same slot relatively but for different reasons. Returns is a fun movie, with Michelle Pfeiffer in her bondage Catwoman outfit being the highlight, but it's just so fucking campy. It almost feels like a complete rejection of the seriousness of the first Keaton movie, but thankfully, Returns kind of embraces the camp so it's just a fun, ridiculous movie that knows it's ridiculous and just goes with it, all out. I enjoy it, but it's definitely not something I'd Return (lol) to often.

Rises is the exact opposite. It revels in how serious it is while filling the plot with a bunch of dumb, nonsensical bullshit that barely makes any sense but it all has to happen because the plot says it must. Most of it would fit perfectly into a movie like Batman Returns, but in a Nolan film, it just sticks out. It certainly doesn't help that I actually really enjoy the first part of the movie, up until Bane's first fight with Batman. That's a great fight scene and far better than anything in the prior movies and Hardy, even with his Darth Connery voice, sells it all fairly well. Bruce Wayne getting his mojo back, anything with Catwoman, and that chase scene with Bane's goons, great stuff. After that, the movie's a mess. Bane breaks Batman's back and somehow ships him out to some random Middle Eastern prison? Batman fixes said back by doing pullups and hanging upside down? Fuck, this is about as realistic as rocket-shooting penguins. Add in some crap about a fusion bomb mcguffin or something and Talia who manages to both completely neuter Bane just by existing and not give us any reason to make us care about her or her goals. Returns is a dumb movie that at least knows it's dumb and accepts it. Rises thinks it's a smart movie, but it really is not.

I think I'd give the edge to Returns but Rises is actually fairly enjoyable on rewatches when I can put aside my expectations and just completely roll with the stupidity. The combination of Bane, Catwoman, and Batman are enough to make me go 'Eh, I guess it's not that bad.'

Forever I've only seen once and I don't remember anything about other than Jim Carrey's terrible, terrible costume and Tommy Lee Jones hamming it up as Two-Face. Maybe I shouldn't rank it then but neither of those memories are positive, so to the bottom this goes!

I've never seen Batman and Robin so I can't rank that one.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1736 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:20 AM »
After the opening scenes with the airplane in Rises you complain that the "back is broken and healed by push-ups" scenario is unrealistic?  :laugh:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1737 on: September 14, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
After the opening scenes with the airplane in Rises you complain that the "back is broken and healed by push-ups" scenario is unrealistic?  :laugh:
Yes, because the opening plane scene is dumb but entertaining, it's typical 'action movie silliness' and I can generally roll with it or ignore it if the surrounding movie is good, but the back-breaking is just dumb. And it's not as if it's the only example, it's just one of the more egregious examples.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1738 on: September 14, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »
Agreed.   Any movie involving a vigilante millionaire dressed as a bat is going to require some measure of "suspension of disbelief"...

The plane scene is plausible to most people's imagination (even if it's not plausible IRL).   But the back-breaking subplot is so grotesquely obvious and silly that it snaps (pun intended  ;D ) you out of your suspension of disbelief.   

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1739 on: September 15, 2015, 12:25:48 AM »
Well he just dislocated his vertrebrae and someone with a little bit of chiropractical knowledge set it straight again. See, totally realistic.  ;D

No, I'm with you in that the scene/idea is dumb, I just find it funny, when in a complete unrealistic movie the complaint is, that certain scenes or ideas are unrealistic.

Nonetheless I really liked the movie, probably better than Batman begins, but to each his own.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1740 on: January 06, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
The scarecrow screen tested to play batman before getting his actual role. Here's him wearing the Val Kilmer batsuit screen testing as batman and bruce wayne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dIHT2Bry8

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1741 on: January 06, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
The scarecrow screen tested to play batman before getting his actual role. Here's him wearing the Val Kilmer batsuit screen testing as batman and bruce wayne.

That was the scariest Bruce Wayne I've ever seen. Good god.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: January 06, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »
It's crazy that Tom hardy is massive as Bane and imposing as fuck and as Shinzon he's a campy dweeb.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1743 on: January 06, 2017, 04:07:39 PM »
It's crazy that Tom hardy is massive as Bane and imposing as fuck and as Shinzon he's a campy dweeb.

Well, while he was a terrible, terrible choice for Shinzon, I don't think a clone of Picard is ever meant to be massive or imposing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: January 06, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »

Cillian Murphy is awesome, but Bruce Wayne/Batman he is not.

I also never even realized Tom Hardy was Shinzon.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: January 07, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »

I didn't realise until I read the credits for Inception and realised Shinzon was " The Forger ".

I was like No Way :o

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1746 on: January 07, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »

I wish he was bigger actually lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1747 on: January 07, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
Batman and Robin has a 3.7 score at IMDB lol

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1748 on: January 07, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »
Right!? It's insane it scored that high.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1749 on: January 07, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Even at 9 years old, I thought that movie was retarded when it came out. "lets kick some ice" give me a break