Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 217605 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1645 on: August 27, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »

Lastly, what is the deal with that bump on Marion Cotillard's forhead?  Ew!  Couldn't stop looking at it and being distracted every time she was onscreen.  Could they not have cast someone who is not a unicorn for the role?

That's her third eye, haven't you heard?  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1646 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
I heard somewhere that after the Dent Act was 'initiated' or whatever they moved all Arkham inmates to Blackgate as well. Anyone else heard this?

I don't recall that, but it's possible I may have missed it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1647 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
Also, was there really a Bane/Talia love interest?  I know they said they "loved" each other during the reveal sequence, but I didn't take it as a romantic love.  I saw it more as a deep caretaker/ward or big-brother/little-sister type love, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Yeah, I never had the impression it was romantic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1648 on: August 27, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
I heard somewhere that after the Dent Act was 'initiated' or whatever they moved all Arkham inmates to Blackgate as well. Anyone else heard this?

I've read from quite a few sources that the Joker is the one and only inmate at Arkham, they just never mentioned it in the film, obviously. This is the only source I could find:
https://batman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Joker_%28Heath_Ledger%29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1651 on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
just stumbled  on it this morning, guess its accurate?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1652 on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1653 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
I've read from quite a few sources that the Joker is the one and only inmate at Arkham, they just never mentioned it in the film, obviously.
Yeah I've heard that too, and it's really cool.

But then I have also heard that there was a scene that was 'storyboarded' for this movie, but never filmed obviously, that shows that when all the other prisoners of Blackgate was set free one prison door remained locked. Then the prisoner inside walked up to the glass, scratched it a little and then turned around to reveal it was the Joker.

Is there any truth in this at all?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1654 on: August 28, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
i don't know why they wouldn't bother just doing a quick mention or a blur shot of him. obviously bane wouldn't set him free, he doesn't want the competition but we could see him locked up in arkham by bane's people.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1655 on: August 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
I've read from quite a few sources that the Joker is the one and only inmate at Arkham, they just never mentioned it in the film, obviously.
Yeah I've heard that too, and it's really cool.

But then I have also heard that there was a scene that was 'storyboarded' for this movie, but never filmed obviously, that shows that when all the other prisoners of Blackgate was set free one prison door remained locked. Then the prisoner inside walked up to the glass, scratched it a little and then turned around to reveal it was the Joker.

Is there any truth in this at all?

First I'm hearing of it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1656 on: August 28, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »
Time to set the record straight:

The official novelization of the film, which was based on the script, had a negligible one line reference to the Joker.
The book states that the inmates of Arkham were moved to Blackgate Prison, but their was a rumor that Joker was
the only inmate left at Arkham. That is it. No story-boards. No deleted scene. No intent to EVER put him or reference
him in the film. Nolan has made it infinitely clear that no mention of Joker would be in the film out of respect to Heath.
Hypothesizing about all this is rather pointless. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1657 on: August 28, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
Hypothesizing about all this is rather pointless. 

Yes, but it's the Internet.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #1658 on: August 28, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
Just saw it this past weekend on IMAX as well.  Better than I was expecting, didn't know going in that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in it, he's awesome.  I never realized that Anne Hathaway was that hot. I couldn't understand what Bane was saying half the time, but didn't ultimately matter given the fact he turned out to be a mere henchman.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1659 on: August 28, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
didn't ultimately matter given the fact he turned out to be a mere henchman.

I wouldn't say he was a henchman, the best way I'd put it is that he's the MAIN villain but Talia is the HEAD villain.....kind of like co-conspirators. My friends and I argue about this quite frequently lol. Then again, just my opinion.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1660 on: August 28, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

I wouldn't say he was a henchman, the best way I'd put it is that he's the MAIN villain but Talia is the HEAD villain.....kind of like co-conspirators. My friends and I argue about this quite frequently lol. Then again, just my opinion.

If you think about it, it's similar to Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. Vader is the MAIN villain but Palpatine is the HEAD villain

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1661 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Referring to him as a mere henchman really misses the point. 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1662 on: August 28, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Referring to him as a mere henchman really misses the point.
I think if they were going to do the Talia being the leader of the villains twist, then they missed an opportunity to do it better by never showing anything of them operating together. Talia is revealed as the villain, then Bane dies and the heroes go and chase Talia. Their relationship and power dynamics are basically left to the imagination of the viewer - was Talia the brains of the operation while Bane was just doing as he was told and acting like he was in charge, was it a partnership of equals, or was Bane really in control but doing things to serve Talia because he cares for and is protective of her (or as repayment for getting him out of the prison). I was pleased to see he was just going to kill Batman even though Talia had said not to, because that kind of showed that he wasn't just a mere henchman who did what he was told, but then he gets blasted away and they just focus on Talia so we don't see much more to establish that.

By the way, obviously lots of people talk about how the Joker would have been in it or mentioned if Heath Ledger was still alive, or joke about how the film is obviously making a point never to mention the Joker. But how often was Ra's al Ghul mentioned in The Dark Knight? I don't remember him, the League Of Shadows or the incident ever being referenced at all, and no one ever thought that was weird or thought they were obviously making a point not to mention it. It seems a pretty normal thing to not mention the villain or events from previous films unless they're actually relevant.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:45:28 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1663 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
I think if they were going to do the Talia being the leader of the villains twist, then they missed an opportunity to do it better by never showing anything of them operating together. Talia is revealed as the villain, then Bane dies and the heroes go and chase Talia. Their relationship and power dynamics are basically left to the imagination of the viewer

I see what you are saying, but I think that was a good choice rather than a missed opportunity.  Bane certainly portrayed more than enough independent strength and thinking throughout the movie.  And his statement of "I am the League of Shadows" says enough about his opinion of himself.  I think seeing more of him and Talia operating together would only have further muddled things.  It doesn't really matter whether they were strictly equals, whether they were mostly equals, but he took orders because it better served their common goals, or whatever.  What matters is that he was an incredibly formidable enemy because he was both very intellectual and brutally powerful.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1664 on: August 28, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »
identical to 'the world is not enough'. the boss is a smart woman, but she has a weapon without whom she can't accomplish anything.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1665 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
Came across a copy of Entertainment today which had an interview with Chris Nolan.  When asked why he didn't mention the Joker in the new film, he said that he didn't want to trivialize the tragedy by explaining away his absence.  He said other directors might have done something different, but he felt, given his relationship to Ledger, that that was the right thing for him to do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:29:01 PM by theseoafs »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1666 on: August 28, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Came across a copy of Entertainment today which had an interview with Chris Nolan.  When asked why he didn't mention the Joker in the new film, he said that he didn't want to trivialize the tragedy by explaining away his absence.  He said other directors might have done something different, but he felt, given his relationship to Ledger, that that was the right thing for him to do.

Makes sense.  I'm not really fussed one way or the other.  I can certainly conceive of many tasteful ways he could have potentially referenced or even shown the Joker.  But his decision was not to, that was his decision to make, and I can completely respect it.  The movie was in no way diminished by that decision, and it can be argued that it was enhanced by not having the distraction.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1667 on: August 28, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
I think if they were going to do the Talia being the leader of the villains twist, then they missed an opportunity to do it better by never showing anything of them operating together. Talia is revealed as the villain, then Bane dies and the heroes go and chase Talia. Their relationship and power dynamics are basically left to the imagination of the viewer

I see what you are saying, but I think that was a good choice rather than a missed opportunity.  Bane certainly portrayed more than enough independent strength and thinking throughout the movie.  And his statement of "I am the League of Shadows" says enough about his opinion of himself.  I think seeing more of him and Talia operating together would only have further muddled things.  It doesn't really matter whether they were strictly equals, whether they were mostly equals, but he took orders because it better served their common goals, or whatever.  What matters is that he was an incredibly formidable enemy because he was both very intellectual and brutally powerful.

This exactly.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1668 on: August 30, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »
An awesome wallpaper I found of the Dark Knight trilogy. For the people that saw Rises multiple times was it better the second? I have a good feeling I'll like it better whenever I see it again.

thanks for sharing it's my new desktop.

Finally got around to seeing this movie and it was amazing. Very entertaining and both me and my wife didnt' really feel like it was that long. We were surprised that it went by so fast for us.

Great read on this thread.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
Mine too.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1670 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
It was mine until yesterday as well, then I changed it to this.

The movie's not as good, true, but it looks pretty badass, and it's a bit easier on the eyes than the Batman one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: September 02, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
 :eek

Wow ! TDKR has officially overtaken The Dark Knight at the worldwide box office.

Currently at 12th All Time with a current gross of 1,005,196,000 !!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1672 on: September 02, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
I'm glad that it passed the Billion mark. It deserves it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: September 02, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
It makes Batman's Begins gross of £330,000,000 seem tiny by comparison.

I bet the Trilogy Boxsets will fly off the shelves.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1674 on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
I'm definitely waiting for a decent bluray boxset, I saw special editions for Begins and TDK but I'd prefer a single boxset with all three films and some special features.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: September 02, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
I'm definitely waiting for a decent bluray boxset, I saw special editions for Begins and TDK but I'd prefer a single boxset with all three films and some special features.

DVD for me. I don't own a BR player.

Offline Prometheus

« Reply #1676 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:21 PM »
I know I'll probably be labeled as a whack-job conspiracist, but I have good reasons to believe that Christian Bale is in fact Bruce Wayne. I mean have you seen the movies? Say to me with a straight face that Bruce Wayne doesn't look exactly like Christian Bale. Haha you can't!

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1677 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:14 PM »
I think you're wrong because Bruce Wayne is a fictional character, but I do think Christian Bale is Batman IRL.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1678 on: September 03, 2012, 02:26:22 AM »
I want some kind of extreme box set. Like the Lord of the Rings 18 disc extended versions bluray mega ultra set.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1679 on: September 05, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »
I really can't wait for them to make a Robin movie. That'd be great.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges