Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218101 times)

Offline jcmistat

Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1610 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
An awesome wallpaper I found of the Dark Knight trilogy. For the people that saw Rises multiple times was it better the second? I have a good feeling I'll like it better whenever I see it again.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1611 on: August 10, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
Maybe he wanted to have a defense in the event a guy started throwing tear gas and pulling out an AR-15

Why would he bring in an arsenal and attract attention to himself if that was really his intention?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #1612 on: August 10, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
Just saw it for a third time, it's gotten better with every viewing for me.  The one gripe I have is with the Bruce/Selina dance scene......And that's because there's a much better Bruce/Selina dance scene in Batman Returns imho......Everything else is wonderful.

Offline TL

« Reply #1613 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
The one thing that always was a bit weird is how doesn't anyone else make that connection? This Batman character appears just as billionaire, infinitely loved by Gotham Bruce Wayne returns.
Cracked had a good video about that a few weeks ago;
https://www.cracked.com/video_18442_the-horrible-truth-about-batmans-secret-identity.html

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1614 on: August 10, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
Just saw it for a third time, it's gotten better with every viewing for me.  The one gripe I have is with the Bruce/Selina dance scene......And that's because there's a much better Bruce/Selina dance scene in Batman Returns imho......Everything else is wonderful.

I dunno, Anne's Selina came off as WAY more creepy, and terrifying in that scene than Michelle's did.

Also I like that this Catwoman was just a very skilled thief and not some secretary who was licked back to life by cats.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1615 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
The first half of Begins is very cool. The ending is so anticlimatic though.
I agree.

The origins part is awesome sauce, but once the deus ex emitter microwave emitter is introduced the movie slides downwards.  Also, I wasn't a big fan of the League of Shadows as the big bad.  It's a logical step, but it's not an exciting one.

I'm really looking forward to watching TDKR again, just to see how it fares on a second viewing.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #1616 on: August 10, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »

I dunno, Anne's Selina came off as WAY more creepy, and terrifying in that scene than Michelle's did.

Also I like that this Catwoman was just a very skilled thief and not some secretary who was licked back to life by cats.

Overall I prefer Nolan/Hathaway's Catwoman, but for that scene my vote goes to Batman Returns.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1617 on: August 11, 2012, 01:13:02 AM »
To answer everything on this page so far, TDKR is my personal favorite Batman film....I love everything about it and I thought the pacing was excellent, it was over so fast for me and it only got better with more viewings......I thought TDK kinda dragged at the end, beginning with the ferry scene.

As far as Catwoman, Hathaway > Pfeiffer in every way.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1618 on: August 12, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
Finally saw it. Damn entertaining though a little too much deus ex machina for my taste. And by that I mean a lot of much.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1619 on: August 12, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Finally saw it. Damn entertaining though a little too much deus ex machina for my taste. And by that I mean a lot of much.

Really?  Where was the Deus ex Machina?
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1620 on: August 12, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
Are you serious? Every single time a character needed to be somewhere, they were there, especially when there was no possible way for them to know where other people were in danger, etc. Maybe deus ex machina isn't the right term but literally no one was in any real danger. I mean how the hell would Batman know that Gordon had been "exiled"? He gets back to the city, suits up and has been out of the loop so long but somehow knows exactly where to go.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1621 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »
Are you serious? Every single time a character needed to be somewhere, they were there, especially when there was no possible way for them to know where other people were in danger, etc.

Every movie is always like that all the time.

Maybe deus ex machina isn't the right term but literally no one was in any real danger.

Oh, come on now.

I mean how the hell would Batman know that Gordon had been "exiled"? He gets back to the city, suits up and has been out of the loop so long but somehow knows exactly where to go.

Fair question.  On the other hand, he's Batman.  It's like when people say "how did Batman get back into Gotham?"  Really?  It's the goddamn Batman!
Over and over again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1622 on: August 12, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
Are you serious? Every single time a character needed to be somewhere, they were there, especially when there was no possible way for them to know where other people were in danger, etc. Maybe deus ex machina isn't the right term but literally no one was in any real danger. I mean how the hell would Batman know that Gordon had been "exiled"? He gets back to the city, suits up and has been out of the loop so long but somehow knows exactly where to go.

He's a detective. Maybe he followed him? He needed to find Gordon one way or another. So he was going to find out where he was, it just so  happens he was on the ice.

And I avoided as much discussion about the movie as possible before watching it, so I knew anything could happen. When Batman first fought Bane, I was honestly considering that he'd kill batman and that Gordon-Levitt would somehow take over the suit. To me at least, in that moment Bruce Wayne was in real danger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1623 on: August 12, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »

He's a detective. Maybe he followed him? He needed to find Gordon one way or another. So he was going to find out where he was, it just so  happens he was on the ice.

And I avoided as much discussion about the movie as possible before watching it, so I knew anything could happen. When Batman first fought Bane, I was honestly considering that he'd kill batman and that Gordon-Levitt would somehow take over the suit. To me at least, in that moment Bruce Wayne was in real danger.

I thought Batman was dead when the bomb exploded.
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1624 on: August 12, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
I'm slow. I just got the autopilot thing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1625 on: August 12, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
The best part.  The movie cuts from Batman to JGL to the timer being at 5 seconds.  You can't say "the movie lied to me by cutting right from Batman to the timer" because it didn't.  Movies make time cuts like that all the time.  This one was just very well placed.
Over and over again

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1626 on: August 13, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
When Batman first fought Bane, I was honestly considering that he'd kill batman and that Gordon-Levitt would somehow take over the suit. To me at least, in that moment Bruce Wayne was in real danger.
I felt like that too - even though I had seen the "Your punishment must be more severe" stuff in adverts already.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: August 17, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
I enjoyed the movie's exploits over Anne Hathaway's ass and she's definitely a sexier lady than Michelle Pfeiffer but her performance was no where as good as Pfeiffer was. As big a Hathaway fan as I am I thought her whole plot was the only dumb thing about the movie.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1628 on: August 17, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Hathaway is gorgeous. She was one of the movie's highlights for me, TBH.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1629 on: August 17, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
Yeah I really dug Selina's character too.  She was a master cat burglar who also happened to be Bruce's love interest, just as it should be. 

And whoever designed those pants that Anne wore (and the ones ScarJo and Robin Scherbatsky wore in Avengers too, seriously were all three of them wearing the same outfit?)- thank you.  Thank you.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »

No argument there.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1631 on: August 17, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »
I really love the dark mascara look. She sports it all the time and I freakin love it.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1632 on: August 17, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Couldn't agree more.

Not only is she gorgeous, but her acting is great in the movie. Her role allows her to shine without overshadowing Christian Bale's character, who was also great in this movie, just like in the first two.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1633 on: August 18, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »

Best. Catwoman. Ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: August 19, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
Well yeah - seeing as Michelle Pfeiffer was about 90 when she was catwoman.

She looked like she had lived to the end of each of her nine lives.

:hat

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1635 on: August 19, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

What the fuck?

Michelle Pfeiffer was HAWT in Batman Returns.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1636 on: August 23, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1637 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »

What the fuck?

Michelle Pfeiffer was HAWT in Batman Returns.

ummmm.....ok....if you say so....

:-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1639 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
^ That was really funny actually.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1640 on: August 25, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »
Will never be better than The Dark Knight. TDKR is still a very good film though.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1641 on: August 26, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
I watched this two days ago. That was so awesome! I might even like it better than TDK.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1642 on: August 26, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
Rewatched TDK, and I'm sure that TDKR is better.

TDK = 10/10
TDKR = 11/10

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1643 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
Just saw it Friday night in IMAX.  Yeah, I know I'm way behind.  Whatever.

Loved it.  Yeah, there were some plot holes.  For the most part, I really didn't care.  A few quick points:

First off, Talia.  I remember reading awhile back that she was going to be one of the villains.  But I completely forgot, and I'm glad.  I wasn't really familiar with her story arc from the comics, so it wasn't obvious to me what was going on.  When she was first brought in to take over Wayne Enterprises, I instantly thought "oh NO!  She's obviously part of the plot!  She's obviously a baddie!"  But Nolan did a pretty good job of persuading me otherwise, and I quickly dropped my suspicion despite Nolan dropping pretty subtle clues throughout.  What was the deal with her scar?  Someone earier in the thread commented that that should have tipped them off.  Again, I'm not familiar with whether it should have any significance. 

Also, was there really a Bane/Talia love interest?  I know they said they "loved" each other during the reveal sequence, but I didn't take it as a romantic love.  I saw it more as a deep caretaker/ward or big-brother/little-sister type love, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I guess the reveal was no big surprise to those who are familiar with the comics.  But for the rest of us, I thought Nolan handled the clues and forshadowing brilliantly.  Once you knew, there were a TON of things you could look back on to make you say, "Man, I should have seen that coming!"  But yet, most of us didn't.  In retrospect, the one I like the most was R'as statement to Bruce that basically said, "there is more than one way to achieve immortality."  Love that!

Lastly, what is the deal with that bump on Marion Cotillard's forhead?  Ew!  Couldn't stop looking at it and being distracted every time she was onscreen.  Could they not have cast someone who is not a unicorn for the role?

Couple of other items:

Most of the criticism of TDKR that I've seen are very valid, and I agree with most of them, but that didn't spoil the movie for me.

With that said, you do not hang a bitch on a rope and let it fix his back.

"oh, I see that there's a vertebrae sticking out of your back, let me just jam it back in with my fist, ok all better"

Yeah, I rolled my eyes, but I still love the movie. 

It wasn't "sticking out of his back."  Medically, a protruding vertibrae doesn't mean it is poking through your skin.  It just means it is out of alignment with the rest of your spine.

But wasn't the Joker in the prison Bane emptied?

No, regular criminals go to Black Gate, the crazy ones go to Arkham.

Exactly.  And Bane/Talia would have been smart enough to not let the insane out of Arkham.  That would just be throwing too many wildcards into the equation.

Although, one inconsistency with that is the fact that Scarecrow was out as well.  I guess we can assume he was eventually released from Arkham and sent to Black Gate, but that's hard to imagine.  Eh, just another minor inconsistency.  But the point still stands that the Joker would have been in Arkham (if he was still alive at that point in time).  They certainly could have still mentioned him, but I see no need.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1644 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
I heard somewhere that after the Dent Act was 'initiated' or whatever they moved all Arkham inmates to Blackgate as well. Anyone else heard this?