Author Topic: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?  (Read 22696 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 09:17:06 AM »
The Clairvoyant hath thpoken
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
I like so much this song,metropolis pt.1 is one of my top-favourites songs,maybe the better according to me,but I like this song more during live concert than in the studio version,so like it played by jordan rudess.
But I don't understand I thing....I saw them during their show at gods of metal 2009 and they played the songs in its entirety...but they cut the song during other shows of this last tour....I don't understand why james doesn't sing the second strophe of the song and they replaced it with a keyboard solo. They did the same thing with take the time cutting part of the songs and with metropolis pt.1 cutting part of the song and the same happened with voices cutting part of the song. To be honest,I would know why,I don't like this situation....
I've never known them to cut any of Metropolis unless they were segueing into another song or in a medley.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
Yeah, James sings everything in Metropolis.  They add a zen riffer/JP duel in the instrumental section nowadays but it doesn't cut into any of James' time.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
They're still doing the Zen Riffer? Ugh.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »
The Zen Riffer jam rules so much!  :metal

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
They're still doing the Zen Riffer? Ugh.

btw, I totally love the studio version, the pure in you face-nessness is awesome.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
Can I assume you got into DT through Panic Attack?

:'(

It's a legitimate question.  A lot of people first hear DT through Panic Attack, since it was on that video game.

Yeah I am one of those people. Seems like I'm not allowed into the cool guy group because I was introduced to the band that way.
 :-[

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »

It's a legitimate question.  A lot of people first hear DT through Panic Attack, since it was on that video game.

Yeah I am one of those people. Seems like I'm not allowed into the cool guy group because I was introduced to the band that way.

Same here. Well, and the next day I was on AOL Radio and Pull Me Under played. But the first song I met from them was Panic Attack :sadpanda:

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »

I didn't say he wasn't cool. But his lack of love for any of the earlier stuff made me think he was introduced through the newer stuff, and Panic Attack, given the exposure it got because of Rock Band, seemed like his starting point

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »
Can't say much without repeating what's been posted already. It's one of my favorite DT songs for sure.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »
It's a good song, but they have done a lot better.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2010, 07:16:29 AM »

I didn't say he wasn't cool. But his lack of love for any of the earlier stuff made me think he was introduced through the newer stuff, and Panic Attack, given the exposure it got because of Rock Band, seemed like his starting point

I think it is a factor in how you view a band. Think about all the people that got into Metallica through The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters. I would bet my house that those types of fans have radically different views/opinions on the band than the ones who got into them at the beginning with Kill 'Em All.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »

I think it is a factor in how you view a band. Think about all the people that got into Metallica through The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters. I would bet my house that those types of fans have radically different views/opinions on the band than the ones who got into them at the beginning with Kill 'Em All.

I got into the band through Train Of Thought/The Glass Prison and I think I&W/Awake are bar none the best.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »
Other than the possible sentimental factor (but really, this could also apply to an album released 20 years earlier, just like I have a sentiment for Iron Maiden "Piece of Mind" which is definitely older than I am), I disagree. It all basically goes down to someone's taste and their appreciation for non-modern sound/production. I've come across people who got into DT through Systematic Chaos and now worship I&W for example, and myself I approached DT as a heavy metal fan, starting from Octavarium where The Root of All Evil and Panic Attack were without doubt my favourite songs at first, and over time I've also grown to love the calmest DT songs and I'm one of the very few people I know who love Repentance for example. There's no rule for this, really, it's just a matter of someone's taste.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:14 PM »
I ranked this song a 5.5 because I wasn't open minded and I wasn't truly willing to enjoy this song, but after watching live versions of it, I have grown to fall in love with it, as with all Dream Theater songs. This song is very beautiful. Nine minutes, and most of it is the instrumental section.

I find the verses to be truly beautiful in every way, naming all three dances. I really love how all the instruments got a solo for this song and that ending though!

Seriously, it is a beautifully composed song.  :tup
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
1. Surrounded
2. Metropolis
3. The Glass Prison
4. Scarred
5. Beyond This Life

To answer the question: EVERYTHING.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »
What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?  That's a really long list of stuff.  The much shorter version would be "what isn't good about Metropolis Pt. 1?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?  That's a really long list of stuff.  The much shorter version would be "what isn't good about Metropolis Pt. 1?

As much as I think the unison is cool, the whole chaotic run-up before the final part of the song doesn't really fit and feels kinda just pasted in to me. I still love the song, this thing is probably the only factor that puts the song bellow LTL-level for me.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »
As much as I think the unison is cool, the whole chaotic run-up before the final part of the song doesn't really fit and feels kinda just pasted in to me. I still love the song, this thing is probably the only factor that puts the song bellow LTL-level for me.

The best part of the song!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »

I like LTL more also just because it has aged much better than Metro, at least for me it has.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
dang I started at the beginning of the thread so I thought lateralus88 was back, I miss the mofo!
Also Metropolis is divine, that's what's good about it.

Metropolis is Dream Theater.

Spot on.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
I will keep this short, simple and on point:

Metropolis and Learning to Live are both f'ing awesome.

'Nuff said. :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »
I will keep this short, simple and on point:

Metropolis and Learning to Live are both f'ing awesome.

'Nuff said. :hat
:metal

Both are in my Top 3.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.