Author Topic: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?  (Read 22644 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: What's so good about Metropolis Pt. 1?
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
Especially whenreading Rich Wilson's Lifting Shadows...

JP didn't even have his own guitar amp at that time, and Kevin Moore didn't know anything about chord voicings. Incredible to think of this stuff without that theoretical background
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
To tell the truth I don´t know what´s special in it...But i know there is something special in it, something big! I love that song and all the live versions I have! (Escpecially the Score one)
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
^the score version is my favorite just cause of the bells at the last verse
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 04:37:25 PM »
Everything about it is amazing.
DT's best song
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
To be honest, while I like it, it started the trend of DT's songwriting pattern with the ridiculous instrumental in the middle that has nothing to do with the song.

Don't get me wrong, I like the song. But Metropolis was an oddity, a song that was sort of unique to me for awhile. And then starting with SFAM (not surprisingly, the sequel), those instrumentals that have nothing to do with the song started creeping in more and more.

I know there is a big slant of my fellow DT fans that LOVE that about DT, but I am not one of you (although I do see the appeal for a certain type of music listener). I think that takes away from the natural ebb and flow of the tune, rather than enhance it.

So while I still enjoy Metropolis, and rank it as a favorite, I can't listen to it now without going "this started it all," and being a little annoyed. It's a love-hate relationship with that tune now.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 05:14:26 PM »
To be honest, while I like it, it started the trend of DT's songwriting pattern with the ridiculous instrumental in the middle that has nothing to do with the song.

Don't get me wrong, I like the song. But Metropolis was an oddity, a song that was sort of unique to me for awhile. And then starting with SFAM (not surprisingly, the sequel), those instrumentals that have nothing to do with the song started creeping in more and more.

I know there is a big slant of my fellow DT fans that LOVE that about DT, but I am not one of you (although I do see the appeal for a certain type of music listener). I think that takes away from the natural ebb and flow of the tune, rather than enhance it.

So while I still enjoy Metropolis, and rank it as a favorite, I can't listen to it now without going "this started it all," and being a little annoyed. It's a love-hate relationship with that tune now.
I love Metropolis, but I agree with you 100%.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
Well, it's great. Incredible intro, incredible singing, incredible ending, and the harmony in the first part of the instrumental section it's admirable. However I still can't get into the 07:10-07:30 instrumental part. I'm trying to like it and I know it's just 20 seconds, but it's too... I dunno, I just can't get into it. However the rest of the song is incredibly great and epic. Not one of my favorite songs, but I understand why it's considered as one of the greatest and quintessential songs DT has ever made.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:27:18 AM by LCArenas »

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »

I love Metropolis, but I agree with you 100%.

I love Metropolis, but I definitely agree that the instrumental does seem a bit out of place. But when listening to SFAM, they used that instrumental bit to compose a whole album. I don't think other songs really do it to the extent of this song, so I wouldn't say it "started it", but more of epitomizes it.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
Okay, after giving it a few more listens, I'm starting to see what people love about it. I still  maintain that DT have made far better songs, but I quite like the vocals in this song, and the final part of the song.

To those here who say that there's something "special" about it, I think I know why you'd say that. As it is played in so many gigs and so highly revered by the band itself, you'd naturally start to feel the same warmy fuzzy feelings of love toward that song. I completely understand - Citizen Erased by Muse is extremely similar. On first listen, it doesn't blow you away. As you watch more and more videos, however, you start to feel the love, heightening your listening experience. Then, when you "get" the song, it is fucking epic. So I can see where you guys are coming from.

Another question: which DT dvd should I get? I'm leaning towards Score, since it has a freaking orchestra, yet at the same time, I prefer latter DT to retro DT, so I could be getting Chaos in Motion. Which one did you like better?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »
Get Score or Live in Budokan.

This song is the quintessential DT song, as hef said.

It is the perfect song: time length is just right, instrumental fits even when it shouldn't, melodies are beautiful, solos are memorable, the song gives a unique feel (it's hard to describe, but it feels like a song about a city and the someone's life, the music captures the lyrics well), and, while being something of an odd song in relation to the rest of the album, it works.

It's no wonder why almost all DT fans love this song.

Also, if you want a band that has based their entire style off of this one song, check out Spheric Universe Experience. :biggrin: :lol :lol

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
Get Score
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 09:54:27 PM »
I still  maintain that DT have made far better songs

So we can see where you're coming from, what are some of those songs, in your opinion?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
Citizen Erased by Muse is extremely similar. On first listen, it doesn't blow you away.

Quite the opposite, I needed new pants after hearing Citizen Erased for the first time.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
I still  maintain that DT have made far better songs

So we can see where you're coming from, what are some of those songs, in your opinion?

Sure. I much prefer the newer Dream Theater. It's got a much darker and grander sound.

Octavarium
Misunderstood
The Count of Tuscany
Ministry of Lost Souls
The Root of All Evil
Panic Attack
Losing Time/Grand Finale

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
Can I assume you got into DT through Panic Attack?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Sure. I much prefer the newer Dream Theater. It's got a much darker and grander sound.

Could you elaborate on this "darker and grander sound" of which you speak?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
"Metropolis Pt. 1," as everyone has said, is pretty much THE Dream Theater song.  All of their best qualities are in it: memorable solo sections, epic ending, soaring vocals from James, Myung bass solo, Mike's cool intricate drumming, the intro (including the pretty simple but instantly recognizable riff.  You know the one), and the seamless transition from verse to big instrumental section, which seems to be overlooked a lot sometimes (I'm looking at you Scarred).  Its not my favorite song by DT, and I'm not even sure if it would be in my top ten, but it really is a great song. 

@m0hawk: Apparently the only thing separating "retro DT" from "latter DT" is one studio album?  Get Score.  James sounds fantastic, you get to hear "6DoiT," "Octavarium," "Sacrificed Sons," and "Metropolis" with an orchestra, not to mention "Under a Glass Moon," "Raise the Knife," and "The Spirit Carries On."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
Where the keys go up, and the guitar and bass go down chromatically.
God, one of the best 5 seconds in the history of prog!  :metal

It's just a perfect song, nothing to dislike about it.  :)

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:04 AM »

Lol, no. I was previously a huge Muse fan (don't kill me please i beg you please), and I heard that DT paid homage to Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria in Never Enough. I heard the song, and my brain imploded. After picking up the remnants off the floor, I... welll, "acquired" the album  Octavarium. Which was all decent, until I heard the song Octavarium, which is the closest thing to perfection i've heard from a prog band. But Panic Attack is quite brilliant, yes.

This darker, more theatrical aspect is something that's a lot more common in their later albums. Take Nightmare to Remember, for example. That opening is wonderfully dark and quite satisfying. Sorry to upset some hardcore fans, but their early, more Retro stuff doesn't appeal to me as much. There's not as much atmostphere. Ministry of Lost Souls has so much, well, feeling that isn't as prevalent in the older material. That said, I love the organs in "The Mirror". Stuff like that is great!

Let the flaming begin. I'm going to watch The Untouchables. Ciao!

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 01:26:39 AM »

There's not as much atmostphere. Ministry of Lost Souls has so much, well, feeling that isn't as prevalent in the older material.

WAT

Trial of Tears would like a word with you.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 04:49:14 AM »

There's not as much atmostphere. Ministry of Lost Souls has so much, well, feeling that isn't as prevalent in the older material.

WAT

This, among others. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »

WAT

So would Voices, Scarred, Lines in the Sand, and Learning to Live

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »

WAT

This.  Fucking this.  Ministry has a pretty cool atmosphere, but the reason I never listen to it anymore is that ear-raping misplaced instrumental section that kills it.  Songs like "Trial of Tears," "Voices," and "Learning to Live" maintain it the whole way through. 

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »

:'(

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »
I see it as a microcosm of DT.  Its got all the good shit.

I learned a new word today!  :hat
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »

:'(

It's a legitimate question.  A lot of people first hear DT through Panic Attack, since it was on that video game.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Clairvoyant

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 04:46:50 AM »
I like so much this song,metropolis pt.1 is one of my top-favourites songs,maybe the better according to me,but I like this song more during live concert than in the studio version,so like it played by jordan rudess.
But I don't understand I thing....I saw them during their show at gods of metal 2009 and they played the songs in its entirety...but they cut the song during other shows of this last tour....I don't understand why james doesn't sing the second strophe of the song and they replaced it with a keyboard solo. They did the same thing with take the time cutting part of the songs and with metropolis pt.1 cutting part of the song and the same happened with voices cutting part of the song. To be honest,I would know why,I don't like this situation....

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
Epic.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:43 AM »
In retrospect, the OP would have been better off asking "What's so great about sex?"   :D

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
Nothing else in the song catches my attention or makes me want to listen to it again.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »
Regarding the question in hand raised by the OP: So enahjee!...Powah!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:10 AM »
What's that? Engrish yellow?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
Can't really add much. I guess it could be the quintessential song though I've personally never gotten any excitement out of it. Yeah all the elements are there but I get bored halfway through the song. If we're talking Images and Words songs I'd pick Learning To Live over Metropolis by miles.

This sums up my feelings exactly.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
I like so much this song,metropolis pt.1 is one of my top-favourites songs,maybe the better according to me,but I like this song more during live concert than in the studio version,so like it played by jordan rudess.
But I don't understand I thing....I saw them during their show at gods of metal 2009 and they played the songs in its entirety...but they cut the song during other shows of this last tour....I don't understand why james doesn't sing the second strophe of the song and they replaced it with a keyboard solo. They did the same thing with take the time cutting part of the songs and with metropolis pt.1 cutting part of the song and the same happened with voices cutting part of the song. To be honest,I would know why,I don't like this situation....

This man shouldn't be left with his words unnoticed. This must be discussed.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »
I already left my opinion.