Author Topic: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)  (Read 25397 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
Not for me. A few songs were great but on a whole. It was such a disappointment for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:48 PM »
Oh boy.

Man, you just don't go from my 2nd favorite band at a time to "I'm not that excited for a new album from them anymore." without releasing a really disappointing album and Shinedown did that with Threat to Survival.  They didn't fare any better with the follow up in the form of ATTENTION ATTENTION (it's actually titled in all caps).  That band that created three great albums in Leave a Whisper, Us and Them, and Sound of Madness was gone to me at this point.

Also, 2010 me thought that Alter Bridge's AB III was a disappointment (but then again the follow-up to a tremendous album, Blackbird, would be hard to live up to for them).  Then 2011 me got a huge dose of harsh reality that made me relate hard to the lyrical content of AB III and then a lot of those songs really helped lifted my spirits up in those hard times (especially Life Must Go On).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
I dont know, I absolutely love Jump so I guess if that's how you feel than yea 1984 would be a dissapointment.  I also love Ill Wait.
Something else you have to consider it that in that era there was a big pushback against keyboards in what we then considered heavy metal. Ozzy could get away with it because it was all so gothic, but other bands really caught a lot of flack for it (and at the time, rightly so). DD and 1984 were both disappointments, but the latter had that added knock against it.

Yea true and Bruce Dickinson saying how keys aren't metal  :lol
The problem was that they really weren't back then. Bands have certainly learned how to use them to that effect, but back then they were generally used to move in a more poppy, commercially successful direction. VH, and to a lesser extent Priest were prime examples of that. Maiden got away with incorporating synths because, at the end of the day they still sounded like Maiden.

El Barto is spot-fucking on here.   It was ballsy (and not really in a good way) for Dio to come right out the gate with "Rainbow In The Dark", and while he played it, it was way heavier live and Claude Schnell spent the first two tours playing keys from behind a curtain on the back of the stage.   I probably have 10 albums from that era that have "No Keyboards!" in the liner notes.

Maiden (and Priest) both used them on one album, and both noticeably came back with WAY heavier albums. 

For me:

First and foremost:  Marillion "Holidays In Eden" and Fish's "Internal Exile".  I was a MASSIVE Marillion fan then, I listened to Clutching as much or more than any album in my collection.   It's still a top five record ever for me.   With "Season's End" and ""Vigil" I knew the world wasn't like it was, but there was promise there, and the world would... then those two duds came out and I knew the world would never be the same.  I think the worst part of it?  I though at least with Marillion, we'd have the music and at least with Fish we'd have the words; and yet "Holidays..."  was a light-weight poppy mess, with all of about 6 minutes of prog on it (part of "Waiting To Happen" and parts of the "This Town" suite), and most of "...Exile" was a wordy, complicated mess.  Only "Credo" stands the test of time for me.

Areosmith: Get A Grip; not that it was bad, because the progression to commercial was relatively gradual (and Pump RULED). But the rest of the album was soulless compared to the lead single, "Living On The Edge".  A real letdown that you could hear they were trying too hard.

Ozzy:  Bark At The Moon; despite Coz's enlightening me to the solo, I still think Bark At The Moon is one of Ozzy's worst songs ever, and while I've come to appreciate the deeper cuts a lot, it's still a sorry followup to Diary Of A Madman (one of my top five albums of all time).   

Priest: Ram It Down; I got Turbo, and gave it a pass. It's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.  Ram It Down is.  If you need to make a "mettle" (because that's how Rob pronounces it) statement, it's not "Johnny B. Goode".   Still don't care for that record. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »
Ozzy:  Bark At The Moon; despite Coz's enlightening me to the solo, I still think Bark At The Moon is one of Ozzy's worst songs ever, and while I've come to appreciate the deeper cuts a lot, it's still a sorry followup to Diary Of A Madman (one of my top five albums of all time).   

It's not a sorry follow up. I mean Blizzard and Diary are two of the most iconic albums of that era. Of any era in metal, really.
It's hard to live up to that. I get it.

But it is still easily Ozzy's 3rd best album and I don't even think it's close. No More Tears is pretty strong too. Especially when you consider the humongous dropdown that is The Ultimate Sin.

Bark At the Moon wins just for Waiting For Darkness, which is a Top 3 Ozzy tune for me, along with Diary and Mr TAC.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
I can get on board with Get a Grip.  Pump is 5* pretty much top to bottom (the 'hits' are the lesser ranked ones).  Stevie and the boys went full-on commercial appeal with Get A Grip.  The radio hits on that one are so tiresome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
I mostly agree, but I still enjoy Cryin' a little, and it goes without saying that Livin' on the Edge freaking smokes. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »
Re The Ultimate Sin I love it.

I think to some extent we all favour important albums in our lives and often the first album we bought from a certain artist and for me TUS is both.   My first Ozzy album and really my first "metal" album.  So I didn't have the context of the Randy albums to compare to and I was 11 years old.

I was mostly interested in the guy on the left - not the singer in the weird sparkly gear.

My memory for things isn't great but I remember watching the Lightning Strikes video for the first time and just loving his playing , his look etc.......and racing out with my Dad to buy the album. When he saw the cover art (another thing I loved) he  was a bit iffy.   It was almost the last straw when I asked if I could buy the album behind it in the rack

I do sort of understand the issues with the glammy look and a few more commercial songs vs past albums but to me The Ultimate Sin has a heavier guitar sound than BATM so I can only assume that the claims of it being soft are related to the songwriting.  I like both albums but have never really understood the idea that BATM is heavy and TUS is soft.

Anyway........my love for the album is/was based around the guitar playing in large part and I cannot imagine there is too much argument about the quality of that.  Jake is just on fire and I was really pissed when he left the band for the next album.

I'll leave you with a link to the solo section of Never -  there is more feeling in that one bent transition note as he bends and then vibratos the hell out of it ( or whahibridopickingants the hell out of it) than in most whole albums I hear these days.  He was a guitar God for those couple of Ozzy albums.

https://youtu.be/r7Sg0B9EfTo?t=159

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:21:30 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2019, 09:17:16 PM »
Cherry picked the Def Lep one. They died for me after Hysteria. That one is a good call.

Def Leppard / Adrenalize

These next ones all came right to me after just seeing the criteria for the thread.

Opeth - Heritage

Incubus - Everything after Crow

DT - I have 3:

• Octavarium tour, Congress Theatre Chicago - James was so off, I decided then and there to never pay to see them live again. I didn't enjoy myself at all and was tired of his subpar performances.

• A Dramatic Turn of Events

• The Astonishing

I will say that I did see DT when they opened for Maiden. They stuck to a metal setlist and James sounded fine, but I attribute that to him singing the lower, angrier vocals.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »

It's not a sorry follow up. I mean Blizzard and Diary are two of the most iconic albums of that era. Of any era in metal, really.
It's hard to live up to that. I get it.

But it is still easily Ozzy's 3rd best album and I don't even think it's close. No More Tears is pretty strong too. Especially when you consider the humongous dropdown that is The Ultimate Sin.

Bark At the Moon wins just for Waiting For Darkness, which is a Top 3 Ozzy tune for me, along with Diary and Mr TAC.

Now, yes.  I love that album, save "So Tired", the rest of Side One after the title track is killer in my view.  Agreed on Waiting For Darkness.  At the time, though, I preferred The Ultimate Sin though; I think it was Jake coming into his own, and other than the "hit", it's a pretty solid rock record ("Fool Like You" is KILLER). 

I can get on board with Get a Grip.  Pump is 5* pretty much top to bottom (the 'hits' are the lesser ranked ones).  Stevie and the boys went full-on commercial appeal with Get A Grip.  The radio hits on that one are so tiresome.

It's sad, because they're actually good at the ballads, from all the way back to "Season's Of Wither" and "You See Me Crying'".  I like "Nine Lives", but for me, big picture, they never recovered.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »
Blur: Self titled through Think Tank.  It's fine to evolve and change but these were too different for my liking.
The Incident
I don't feel some of DT's albums are disappointments, they're just OK. 
Warpaint's 2nd and 3rd albums are not as good as their first, so that's a disappointment
Metallica: Load through Anger.  Love the last 2
Green Day: post Dookie up to AI
Catherine Wheel: Adam And Eve.  LOVE the first three albums then they went soft
Radiohead: Post Kid A.  Almost 20 years of this weird sleepy shit.  ROCK!!!
Fat Boys: Crushin and beyond
Duran Duran: Notorious through Pop Trash.  No magic without the main 5.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2019, 12:18:21 AM »

What? I wouldn't call Kid A much of a straight "rock" album. Hail to the Thief fits that more than it. And A Moon Shaped Pool was fantastic.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2019, 03:27:11 AM »
Some Dream Theater albums have been better than others. While I've not always been impressed with some albums on first listen, with time they've grown on me. I absolutely hated 6DOIT when it came out, but now I think it's one of my favourites. Others that I liked at first have lost some of their sparkle since, while some I loved at first listen and still love now.

But the single biggest disappointment from any band or artist ever has to be:

The Astonishing.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2019, 03:35:45 AM »
I absolutely hated 6DOIT when it came out, but now I think it's one of my favourites. Others that I liked at first have lost some of their sparkle since, while some I loved at first listen and still love now.

But the single biggest disappointment from any band or artist ever has to be:

The Astonishing.

I agree with much of that.   I hated Disc 1 of SDOIT so much that I didnt even play Disc 2 (which I like much more) for many years  ::)   I had grown gradually more and more disappointed with DT since Awake and it was do or die for them at that stage.  I did grow to like that album enough that it's mid tier for me now.   I have been back on board much more with DT since Mangini arrived and things got more melodic again - but yeah..........The Astonishing wasn't my cuppa tea either , even allowing for 2 or 3 songs I did like quite a bit.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »
That whole keyboards aren't metal thing was stupid back then and is stupid now, especially considering that some of the pioneers of that genre used keyboards a lot like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and even Black Sabbath had some synths on their records. Good thing we prog-heads aren't close-minded.  ;D

And reading this thread I realize again how different music tastes are, even among fans of the same band (not that this is something new).

VH's 1984 is a killer record imo. Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, I'll Wait (what a cool guitar solo !!!) are top tracks and Jump, Hot For Teacher (although silly) and House Of Pain are still very good. The only obviously (imo) filler is Girl Gone Bad, one of the worst songs in VH history.

Regarding my own disappointments:

The obvious ones:

Queensryche - HITNF
Metallica - St. Anger
Iron Maiden - Virtual IX
Yes - Open Your Eyes and The Ladder
Opeth: Heritage

And the (maybe) not so obvious ones:

Spock's Beard - Snow: The expectations were very high after the stellar V and then this overlong, boring and not really proggy record with a strange story comes out. And this turned out to be the swan song for Neal Morse led Spock's Beard. Many will disagree but this is clearly at the bottom of SB's discography.

Edit: and whoever said Tesla's Bust A Nut and Aerosmith's Get A Grip, I have to disagree, both are killer records for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »
I was honestly expecting more blowback from Ultimate Sin than 1984. I'm not a big fan of Bark, either. At the same time that's largely because it follows up Ozzy's masterpiece, and I'm not inclined to hold that against it. TUS just didn't work for me.

That whole keyboards aren't metal thing was stupid back then and is stupid now, especially considering that some of the pioneers of that genre used keyboards a lot like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and even Black Sabbath had some synths on their records. Good thing we prog-heads aren't close-minded.  ;D
Yeah, but few of us were real prog-heads back in 1983. But more to the point, what Deep Purple was doing with keyboards was very different than what Priest did. That Hammond/Marshall sound was heavy as fuck, as was Jon Lord. What EVH was doing just sounded like cheesy pop synths. Same with Priest. They had moved their sound in a starkly different direction. One that wasn't appealing to people brought up on The Cradle Will Rock and Unchained.

And it might have been Stadler that brought up Rainbow in the Dark. It's worth noting that Dio fucking hated that song. Didn't want it on the album and didn't like playing it every night. He did because he was fucking Dio and knew the fans wanted to hear it, but if it were up to him it never would have existed, and I can only imagine the poppy keyboards were the biggest reason why.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
I guess it wasn't a big disappointment, because I did not expect too much, but Yes - Heaven & Earth comes to mind first. Wow that album sucked.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline pg1067

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
El Barto is spot-fucking on here.   It was ballsy (and not really in a good way) for Dio to come right out the gate with "Rainbow In The Dark", and while he played it, it was way heavier live and Claude Schnell spent the first two tours playing keys from behind a curtain on the back of the stage.   I probably have 10 albums from that era that have "No Keyboards!" in the liner notes.

Maiden (and Priest) both used them on one album, and both noticeably came back with WAY heavier albums. 

Well...Maiden used guitar and bass synthesizers on Somewhere in Time and on SSOASS.  That they also used an actual keyboard as the input interface on the latter seems to be a distinction without a difference.  Same with Priest on Turbo and Ram It Down, and in Priest's case, Turbo was the far more keyboard-y sounding album.  In my view -- and I think this is general consensus -- Ram It Down was far superior to Turbo, although I agree that it had a handful of clunkers.  Similarly, while SSOASS had lots of clunkers, No Prayer for the Dying was the weakest of the Dianno/Dicknoson I era albums by a country mile (even though it might have been heavier than SSOASS).

As far as the original topic of the thread:

Styx - Kilroy Was Here:  This is more of a retrospective opinion.  At the time, I liked it well enough, but I didn't know enough at the time to truly understand how disappointing it was.  Looking back, it's easy to see it as the album that killed what was, at that time, my favorite band.

Rush - Roll the Bones:  Such a massive disappointment after the bounceback album that was Presto.

Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity:  I've written volumes in other threads.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos:  After SFAM, 6DOIT, TOT and 8VA, it felt like DT could do no wrong.  This album proved that hypothesis to be wrong.

Judas Priest - Turbo:  It's the only Priest album I didn't replace on CD when I trashed my vinyl records.

Fates Warning - Disconnected:  This is a little unfair given that it followed up a masterpiece, but it never grabbed me, although it has a couple good songs.  Although I liked FWX even less, I think Disconnected is more disappointing just because it was such a letdown after APSOG.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »

What? I wouldn't call Kid A much of a straight "rock" album. Hail to the Thief fits that more than it. And A Moon Shaped Pool was fantastic.

Not to speak for dparrott, but my interpretation of his post was, "Instead of releasing sleepy music, Radiohead should rock."   I, of course, totally disagree with that line of thinking.  Radiohead has done plenty of rock tunes since Kid A, but rocking out like they did in the 90's is not who they are anymore, and I'd rather a band be true to themselves rather than trying to appease fans who can only handle their music done a certain way.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »

Uhh... there's plenty of synths on Seventh Son too. Although Iron Maiden used them more in the sense of creating athmosphere (I think Moonchild is the only song from that era that has a melody played on a synthetisizer). As for the heaviness, I'm not sure which album you're referencing here, but I don't think Seventh Son is that much heavier than SIT, and No Prayer veered off into more hard rock-y direction.

On the topic:

Disappointments:
DT12
Ministry - AmeriKKKant

Slight disappointments:
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Deftones - Gore

WTF is this shit?:
Queensrÿche - Dedicated to Chaos

Some extra assorted thoughts... Resistance Is Futile by Manic Street Preachers wasn't really memorable, but I didn't have any expectations whatsoever. I should probably giving DT12 another chance, I remember hating The Bigger Picture intensely when it came out but I gave it a listen quite lately and it wasn't half bad. Come to think of it... probably all the albums I've mentioned would deserve another chance... except for Dedicated to Chaos. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:12:21 AM by Ruba »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2019, 10:12:13 AM »
I was honestly expecting more blowback from Ultimate Sin than 1984. I'm not a big fan of Bark, either. At the same time that's largely because it follows up Ozzy's masterpiece, and I'm not inclined to hold that against it. TUS just didn't work for me.

Yeah, but few of us were real prog-heads back in 1983. But more to the point, what Deep Purple was doing with keyboards was very different than what Priest did. That Hammond/Marshall sound was heavy as fuck, as was Jon Lord. What EVH was doing just sounded like cheesy pop synths. Same with Priest. They had moved their sound in a starkly different direction. One that wasn't appealing to people brought up on The Cradle Will Rock and Unchained.

And it might have been Stadler that brought up Rainbow in the Dark. It's worth noting that Dio fucking hated that song. Didn't want it on the album and didn't like playing it every night. He did because he was fucking Dio and knew the fans wanted to hear it, but if it were up to him it never would have existed, and I can only imagine the poppy keyboards were the biggest reason why.

For those of us at the time, we were closer to the Deep Purple where Jon Lord was the "rhythm guitar" of Deep Purple; listen to "Last Concert From Japan" where Bolin is basically standing there looking pretty while all the riffage is done by Lord.  Also, "Perfect Strangers".   El Barto is correct that it is apples and oranges.

He's also right about Dio.  "Holy Diver" was the first single, not RitD. 

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2019, 10:31:09 AM »
Iron Maiden - X Factor. I went from being one of the biggest Maiden fans, I have a lot of the vinyl singles from back in the day, to not even buying Virtual XI. I really hated this album. So repetitive and Blaze is incredibly monotone.  I remember the first time I listened to this I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach.

Queensryche - HITNF and Q2K. Another band that could do no wrong. Until they did.

Van Halen - III. I loved Van Halen and Extreme. This was a no-brainer. What a great album this would be! Hmmm. Not so much.

There are probably others, but these are the standouts.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:52:32 PM by v_clortho »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
Interesting topic. I only have a few:

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Not trying to add more flack to this album than it's already gotten. But I remember being so excited for the release, what with the fun promotional roll-out and having really enjoyed DT12 at the time. My first listen left little impression on me, and the more chances I gave it, the more of a slog it just felt as a whole.

Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
Their last album before they disbanded, this is probably my least favorite in the band's discography. The Mantle is one of my favorite metal albums of all time, and Marrow of the Spirit was great as well, and left me really looking forward to what they would do next. This album, though, just felt like a generic and by the numbers retread of what the band has done before. It has some good moments but was mostly just painfully average for me.

American Football - American Football (2016)
For the longest time, the band's 1999 midwest emo classic remained the only full length album in their catalog, and then came the announcement of a new one to come in 2016. I was so hopeful, but what we got was something of an average Owen record in disguise. Many of the songs just kind of blend together and lack the strong staying power as their debut.

Tortoise - The Catastrophist
From post-rock legends Tortoise, in 2016 we got this underwhelming collection of middling post-rock and electronic tracks. It has some good ideas, but the few it has get strung out for longer than needed and overstay their welcome. At worst it gets grating. At best, it's just forgettable.

Arcade Fire - Everything Now
When I first heard the track Chemistry off of this thing, i simply could not believe what i was listening to. If you're gonna go make dance tunes, then hit me with actually catchy hooks and some bright and punchy production, not broken grooves washed with reverb.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Van Halen - III. I loved Van Halen and Extreme. This was a no-brainer. What a great album this would be! Hmmm. Not so much.

Yeah, I forgot about this one; it's an easy record to pile on in hindsight, but in real time it really was a disappointment.  I'm a HUGE Cherone fan and it seemed like the best of both worlds; he could bring the songwriting of Sammy, but maybe some of the cheek and humor of Dave ("Decadence Dance", "Suzi...") and it didn't happen that way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
BOSTON. They had four previous albums that were top notch, and then they decided to release a udder pile of crap called Corporate America.
I don't know what Tom Scholz was thinking, but letting Kimberly Dahme and Anthony Cosmo (Fran Cosmo's son) write some songs for that album was the worst idea in the long sad history of bad ideas!  Brad Delp only sang on some of the tracks, he was alive and well at the time and should have been top priority.  It's an abomination I tell you, an ABOMINATION!  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »
Queensryche - HITNF and Q2K. Another band that could do no wrong. Until they did.

For me, it's Promised LandEmpire was a bit of a letdown after O:M, but it was still good, and I was hoping for something special with PL.  Instead, I got two good songs and a pile of hot garbage.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »

For me, it's Promised LandEmpire was a bit of a letdown after O:M, but it was still good, and I was hoping for something special with PL.  Instead, I got two good songs and a pile of hot garbage.

Thank you, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »

That's weird. I got one of the greatest records I've ever heard. Maybe you got a wrong copy of Promised Land or something...:P

When I first heard the track Chemistry off of this thing, i simply could not believe what i was listening to. If you're gonna go make dance tunes, then hit me with actually catchy hooks and some bright and punchy production, not broken grooves washed with reverb.

That album is a mixed bag for me.  The middle of it is not good and has some of their worst songs ever, but it starts and ends great.  The title track, Signs of Life, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are all major keepers. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »

That's weird. I got one of the greatest records I've ever heard. Maybe you got a wrong copy of Promised Land or something...:P

For whatever reason, I very specifically recall my then girlfriend/now wife buying PL for me for my first birthday after we started living together (it was released about 10 days before my birthday, and I'm not sure I knew it was in the works).  I listened to it a few times, and it didn't grab me, so it sat on the shelf for a LONG time.  I checked it out again after seeing QR open for Heaven & Hell in October 2007, but really only liked "I Am I" and "Damaged," but it went back on the shelf pretty quickly.  Last year, I gave it a really deep listen, but my opinion didn't change.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2019, 06:13:42 PM »
That's what the kids nowadays call TAC-like fail.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2019, 06:42:19 PM »
Like you even know what kids today are even saying! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:13 PM »
And you do?  :biggrin:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

That album is a mixed bag for me.  The middle of it is not good and has some of their worst songs ever, but it starts and ends great.  The title track, Signs of Life, Creature Comfort, Put Your Money on Me and We Don't Deserve Love are all major keepers.

Admittedly, the first few and the last few tracks aren't awful or anything. But none resonated with me like the band's other work has. Even with this new direction they seem to be going in, it was done very well in certain tracks on Reflektor (such as the title track and Orpheus).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2019, 07:29:58 PM »
And you do?  :biggrin:

I assume, when it comes to all you guys, the kids are saying "GET THE HELL AWAY WEIRDO!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »
Are you calling me a weirdo?