Author Topic: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)  (Read 25635 times)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »
Sure am!

Octahedron - Mars Volta.
This album has a few good tracks, but mostly it's a snorefest. Granted, it's been a while since I listened to it. Maybe it needs another go!

You should. It didn't click with me at first, but after not listening to it for over two months it finally did.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
Q2K.  One of the biggest letdowns of a band I loved.

Kiss.  Asylum.  One great song and a whole lot of meh.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:40 AM »
I can point to an album here and there by a lot of band that didn't quite do it for me, but to me, that doesn't really fit what the thread is about.  None of those are major disppointments.  But I can point to a couple for sure:

Queensryche:  In a nutshell, the series of events over the last decade or so that has left this once-great band a hollow shell of itself that feel like a laughing stock when compared to a time when people referred to them as "the thinking man's metal band" and actually meant it and could say it with a straight face.  Operation Mindcrime was a metal concept album masterpiece.  Empire, while decidedly having a very commercial edge, was incredibly solid and managed to garner mainstream exposure while maintaining the band's pencheant for complexity and layering of sonics and mood.  Promised Land was perhaps their moodiest and most experimental.  At this point in time, they were on top of the world in terms of musicality.  But the band was imploding, which completely altered their writing style.  It had begun prior to Promised Land, but the fact that the guys lived on the island in Big Log for the writing and recording forced them to work together.  After that, for HITNF, while DeGarmo was still in the band, things were different and they did not write as they had in the past (which, to me, wasn't a problem because I love this album).  Then DeGarmo left, and things were decidedly different.  Unfortunately, it was not the right time for Gray to be in the band.  Over time, the Tate family gained complete control over every aspect of the band and the rest of the band stopped caring and participating, and things have gone from bad to worse as the band's marketing has been one cash-grab publicity stunt after the next, the music is written by outside writers instead of the band, and Tate's voice has deterioriated as a result of him not caring enough to take care of it.  As a fan, it has been painful watching this once-phenominal band decline to the point where their current output is something I wouldn't even notice or care about if not for their past legacy.

Def Leppard:  I was a fan in the early '80s when they were considered a "rock" band as opposed to the pop band they eventually turned into.  Although Hysteria was a huge move in the commercial direction, it still felt fresh and had an edge to it.  The follow-ups have felt, in varying degrees, like a band who is just going through the motions.  There have been some definite high points since then, but I feel a bit let down by what the band turned into vs. what they were.  And given Joe's severe vocal deterioration, I have no interest in seeing them live again.

Journey:  I lost interest toward the end of the Steve Perry years.  Then they found Steve Augeri and things were good.  This guy could sing.  He could sound like Perry when he wanted to, but still had enough of his own personality and attitude that you couldn't really look at him as "just a Perry clone."  I felt like he was a perfect fit.  The songwriting also seemed to step up a notch or two again when he was in the band from where it was on the last two Perry albums.  The band had energy and were, in a nutshell, interesting.  Then he left, and...as much as I like JSS, he was doomed to fail in that role.  And Arnel, while a talented singer, does nothing for me whatsoever.  Journey now seem stale and uninteresting and seem supremely content to be a nostalgia act.  And that's fine.  But seeing them with Augeri, where I felt a genuine excitedment and enthusiasm (which, I must say, is really an anomaly for a band that has been around that long and has broken up and reformed years later with a brand new vocalist) that has since left again.

Those are mine.  I could probably add Metallica as well.  While they've also had some high points since the Black album, it just feels like they lost their roots after that and have no idea what kind of band they are supposed to be.  DM recaptured a lot of their core sound, but still somehow felt forced to me instead of sounding fresh.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet

There was a short period time for me where, after coming off of In Absentia and Deadwing, Porcupine Tree were one of those bands that could do no wrong in my opinion.  When I heard the first single off of Fear of a Blank Planet, I was less than impressed. When I heard the rest of the album, with Steven Wilson's old-man lyrics and its heaviness (I'm not against heaviness, but PT do NOT know how to do it right), PT quickly plummeted in my book. With the Incident they've managed to crawl back up, but only a little bit.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
The only one that's happened real-time is Dream Theater. I've gone out and purchased each album since SDOIT, and I've been more disappointed with every one. I think it's pretty safe to say that, after 4 sub-par albums (in my opinion, of course), they aren't going to pull themselves back up to the level of quality I once expected of them.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
The only one that's happened real-time is Dream Theater. I've gone out and purchased each album since SDOIT, and I've been more disappointed with every one. I think it's pretty safe to say that, after 4 sub-par albums (in my opinion, of course), they aren't going to pull themselves back up to the level of quality I once expected of them.

My feelings exactly, BUT

The title track alone of Octavarium saved it enough for me to regain some false hope.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Sorry, got depressed, not feeling the funny right now
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
Barenaked Ladies - The past five years. They've gone from quirky alterna-rock to barely-there soft rock, the lyrical quality only shows up on a song or two from each album, and they lost their best vocalist without having a suitable replacement. Their live shows, however, are still pretty consistently good from what I've heard, though.

Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. Once Trent released Year Zero, it was like the band had been reinvigorated with a new sound and new direction. Then along comes The Slip and is pretty much half what you've already heard and half boring sonic experiments. The good songs are great, but the rest just drags it down, and there's no new progression, really.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Most of the bands I listen to I somehow managed to get on the bandwagon late, so don’t often get the chance to follow a band in ‘real time.’

But for real time: Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity. I&W was instantly my favorite album in the early 90s, and Awake, while taking longer to appreciate, was right up there as well. When FII came out, I didn’t know they had a new member until I saw it in the booklet, but didn’t want to make too much of it. Bands change members all the time. But after my first listen, it totally sounded like a different band. I wanted to chalk it up to a new member, but thought 1 new keyboardist couldn’t change the sound of a whole band. Anyway, major disappointment at the time, and still is but it’s ok now since Mike said it’s the record label’s fault

The past five years or so of Dream Theater, including overall album quality, song composition, lyrics, overall creativity and innovation (or lack thereof), general musicianship, and live performance.

It seems like fans still give high marks to their live performances, despite what they may think of the material. Is it something in particular?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
It's not an album but...the Transatlantic show last month. I was terribly excited about this show that somehow, I felt disapointed by it. Maybe it's a combination of bad sound and feeling tired, but I didn't enjoy the show as much as I would have loved to.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
For Rush the only recent disappointment I can think of was the song swaps they made for the 2nd leg of the Snakes and Arrows tour. They took out some really rare stuff and put in mostly regular stuff. Also wish they would have given Witch Hunt and later Red Barchetta a break if they were going to end up playing Moving Pictures in full on the coming tour, though they probably didn't know that at the time. I also wish they would have swapped some of the Snakes material for other Snakes material, just to keep it fresh.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
The only one that's happened real-time is Dream Theater.
This. With most other bands I like I´m just catching up with their material. And no new album has disappointed me yet.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 01:39:58 PM »

I kinda liked Asylum.  Pretty much everything from Creatures to Asylum I really liked.  My biggest disappointments from them were Dynasty, Unmasked, and Hot in the Shade (this one in "real time").  Ugh, did they ever shit the bed on those albums.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:47:06 PM by GuitarCozmo »

Offline SinisterMinisterX

• Grand Poobah of Small Miscellaneous Objects
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
Maiden, both Blaze albums. I have since grown to enjoy those albums, but hated them when they came out.

I didn't hate them because of Blaze, who I've always liked as a singer. I thought the songwriting was weak, with too much repetition (especially on Virtual XI).

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 01:52:35 PM »
Megadeth's The World Needs a Hero...can't put my finger on why, I just felt like there was so much wasted potential on that album.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »

I kinda liked Asylum.  Pretty much everything from Creatures to Asylum I really liked.  My biggest disappointments from them were Dynasty, Unmasked, and Hot in the Shade (this one in "real time").  Ugh, did they ever shit the bed on those albums.

I loved Creatures and Animalize.  Mabye because Animalize was such an ass kicking album that made me dissapointed with it..  I agree with Unmasked and HITS.  That only had a few good songs.  Though, the tour was their best in that deacade.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
For Rush the only recent disappointment I can think of was the song swaps they made for the 2nd leg of the Snakes and Arrows tour. They took out some really rare stuff and put in mostly regular stuff. Also wish they would have given Witch Hunt and later Red Barchetta a break if they were going to end up playing Moving Pictures in full on the coming tour, though they probably didn't know that at the time. I also wish they would have swapped some of the Snakes material for other Snakes material, just to keep it fresh.

They tend to do that on the second leg a lot Nick.  I've always wondered why the pull out the standards for the second leg?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »

I have never been big time disappointed by Rush, even by Test for Echo, which I listened to like crazy for a long time before the majority of it grew off of me, but I have to admit to being a tad disappointed by the fact that the second leg of the S&A tour was almost identical to the first, except for the changes you mentioned.  I think the biggest thing was the fact that they kept that string of five straight S&A songs at the beginning of the second set.  I like all of those songs, but doing five songs in a row from it like that was a crowd killer on the first leg, and I was a little disappointed that they kept it the same way on the second leg.  I love that they play a lot of new songs, but mix them up in the set, instead of just spitting five out in a row like that.  By the time they got to the fourth song, you could tell the crowd was getting restless, like, "Okay, play something that we all know and love."

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
Rush - Vapor Trails
Probably the biggest disappointment of an album I've ever heard. Easily the most disappointing album of the 00's, and among Rush's worst albums (only Rush and Caress of Steel are worst, imo). Aside from Secret Touch, every song ranges from average to bad.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
I'm weird in the way that it's very hard for me to not like something by a band that I love. For instance, I love St. Anger and The World Needs A Hero, Def Leppard's recent album (which is closer to pop rock, and I hate pop rock), and I also like the duller AC/DC albums like Blow Up Your Video and Ballbreaker. I rarely ever dislike something from a band that I like a lot.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »

I have never been big time disappointed by Rush, even by Test for Echo, which I listened to like crazy for a long time before the majority of it grew off of me, but I have to admit to being a tad disappointed by the fact that the second leg of the S&A tour was almost identical to the first, except for the changes you mentioned.  I think the biggest thing was the fact that they kept that string of five straight S&A songs at the beginning of the second set.  I like all of those songs, but doing five songs in a row from it like that was a crowd killer on the first leg, and I was a little disappointed that they kept it the same way on the second leg.  I love that they play a lot of new songs, but mix them up in the set, instead of just spitting five out in a row like that.  By the time they got to the fourth song, you could tell the crowd was getting restless, like, "Okay, play something that we all know and love."

I wished they would have kept going! That was definately one of the highlights of the tour for me.

Disappointments:

Kevin Moore leaving Dream Theater - I thought the band was toast (I found out a few months before Awake came out). I didn't fully accept it until I heard Kevin's demos and then understood completetly why he had to leave.

Falling Into Infinity - I thought the band was going to break up. Felt that way until Jordan joined.

DeGarmo leaving Queensryche - You just can't replace something like that. Took me years to get over that one.

Fish leaving Marillion - hearing Seasons End took A LOT of the sting out it, but hearing Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight brought it back a bit.

It still depresses me when I throw on the bonus disc of the Clutching At Straws remaster (I guess that's why I try not to listen to that one much).

The water on this is so far under the bridge though that the only thought I ever have is that they play on Fish's solo album as guests (at least Rothery anyway), but Hogy might get a bit jealous about that.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
SikTh breaking up

My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »

Incubus - Everything after Morning View

I agree with this, all of their pre A Crow Left of the Murder albums are equally great imo. They had their sound perfected, but got so poppy and generic with everything afterwards, especially their latest abomination.

Granted A Crow had a couple of good tunes, but they had lost their personality and the ability to give their songs this amazing atmosphere.  I just cringe thinking about Light Grenades.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »

BUT

The title track alone of Octavarium saved it enough for me to regain some false hope.

Agreed.. except I enjoyed Train of Thought and liked a few more tracks on Octavarium than just the title one.

The past five years or so of Dream Theater, including overall album quality, song composition, lyrics, overall creativity and innovation (or lack thereof), general musicianship, and live performance.

It seems like fans still give high marks to their live performances, despite what they may think of the material. Is it something in particular?

I guess there's just nothing special about it anymore... and it doesn't help that their sets have been pretty lame the past few times I've seen them. How can I enjoy the performance if the material is blah, yknow?
I think it also ties into some of the other stuff I mentioned. I just haven't liked the members' general performance as much, other than Jordan.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Mine are:

Metallica's Reload in 97.  When that album came out, I quit Metallica for 11 years.

Symphony X's Paradise Lost, either their worst or second worst album, especially considering the wait we had.

Chidren of Bodom's Blooddrunk

Falconer's Grime vs. Grandeur has turned me off them almost completely (not that they were anything more than average to start with)

Iron Maiden's Virtual XI - I feared the end was near

Nightwish's Dark Passion Play - too much filler

Royal Hunt's Paper Blood really dampered my enthusiasm for the band

Threshold's Dead Reckoning was quite a step down IMO and lacked the "grabbers" that previous albums had.

And that's just looking at bands on my iPod.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
The Resistance by Muse. I've grown to really enjoy a couple of songs from that album, but as a whole it's terrible, and United States of Eurasia is so awful I thought it was a joke initially. I couldn't believe how one of my favourite bands could let me down SO badly, now I'm over it and still listening tonnes to their previous albums and hoping they find their way again on the next.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
Oh that reminds me of one.

Blackholes. Terrible album.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »

It's high quality filler though.
caw caw

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
Oh that reminds me of one.

Blackholes. Terrible album.

OH GOD YES

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »

It's high quality filler though.

I wouldn't even call it filler. One of the reasons I love that album so much is because I consider it to be a "full" album if that makes any sense. Every song is worthy of inclusion.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »

I have never been big time disappointed by Rush, even by Test for Echo, which I listened to like crazy for a long time before the majority of it grew off of me, but I have to admit to being a tad disappointed by the fact that the second leg of the S&A tour was almost identical to the first, except for the changes you mentioned.  I think the biggest thing was the fact that they kept that string of five straight S&A songs at the beginning of the second set.  I like all of those songs, but doing five songs in a row from it like that was a crowd killer on the first leg, and I was a little disappointed that they kept it the same way on the second leg.  I love that they play a lot of new songs, but mix them up in the set, instead of just spitting five out in a row like that.  By the time they got to the fourth song, you could tell the crowd was getting restless, like, "Okay, play something that we all know and love."

Although I personally wasn't disappointed by the decision, I agree that it wasn't the best possible move and that a lot of people were not happy with it. I think simply moving Subdivisions to either the 3rd or 4th song in the 2nd set would have helped keep people happier.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
I'm struggling to think of many albums that were completely, irredeemably failtastic.

The worst was probably Machine Head's Supercharger. I mean, Jesus Christ.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
Disappointments:

Kevin Moore leaving Dream Theater - I thought the band was toast (I found out a few months before Awake came out). I didn't fully accept it until I heard Kevin's demos and then understood completetly why he had to leave.

That's a good one.  I, too, was pretty disappointed when I found it.  And the kicker is, we found out literally minutes before buying tickets to our first DT concert.  Nothing like a huge killjoy, eh?

Although I personally wasn't disappointed by the decision, I agree that it wasn't the best possible move and that a lot of people were not happy with it. I think simply moving Subdivisions to either the 3rd or 4th song in the 2nd set would have helped keep people happier.

Maybe, but six new songs in the second set (not counting "Hope") was just too much.  Play most of the new stuff in the first set and go with only a few new ones and then the tried and true classics the rest of the way.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
That's a good one.  I, too, was pretty disappointed when I found it.  And the kicker is, we found out literally minutes before buying tickets to our first DT concert.  Nothing like a huge killjoy, eh?

Oh no, you can't watch the static keyboard player put on an uninteresting show live. :loser:

(And to be honest, I'd rather have Rudess in DT and Moore to do Chroma Key and OSI :tup)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »

And the kicker is, we found out literally minutes before buying tickets to our first DT concert.  Nothing like a huge killjoy, eh?
I found out when they hit the stage in Providence for the first night of the tour. You can clearly hear me questioning it on my boot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
Mine change over time, but ones off the top of my head:

Ditto on Chris DeGarmo leaving Queensryche

Dream Theater's direction post-FII

Honestly, my two biggest disappointments, since Queensryche and DT were #1 and #2 for years until that all happened.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!