Author Topic: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)  (Read 25498 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I thought this would be an interesting topic, but let's try to to do it without going crazy with the criticism.  It is natural for even your favorite bands to disappoint you at one time or another, but it is the best ones that rarely do it, which is why they are probably our favorites, right? ;)

And to explain the "IN REAL TIME" things, means it has to be something that disappointed you at the time it actually happened, whether it be a studio album, a concert, an incident, etc.  In other words, it can't be a "I got into so-and-so band, and when I listened to all of their albums from 20 years ago, the one I heard was really good wasn't, so it was disappointing to me," or anything like that.  Make sense?

Okay, I'll take a shot at this by starting off with a few:

Porcupine Tree - The remaster of Up the Downstair.  I was so looking forward to this, but it was a major letdown.  The timing of the disappointment was ironic, too, as I had just seen PT for the first time in Chicago back in '05, and when I got home the next day, the remaster had came in the mail, so I busted it right out and listened to it, only to be very disappointed.  It has never really grown on me at all, and I always listen to the original version, when I listen to that CD.

Queensrÿche - They were one of my favorites back in the mid to late 90s (although they were only 27 in the recent favorite artists thread I did), thanks in large part to the awesomeness of Promised Land.  Sadly, they followed that up with the major thud otherwise known as Hear in the Now Frontier.  I tried like hell to like that CD, and even went through spells where I listened to it quite a bit, but I eventually had to accept that it just wasn't any good, outside of a few songs, making it one of the biggest disappointments in real time for me to date.  My expectations for them went way down after that, which is why everything else new I have heard by them didn't register as as big a disappointment.

Dave Matthews Band - Everyday.  I cannot put into words what a disappointment it was to follow up the masterpiece that was Before These Crowded Streets with something as pitiful as Everyday.

Spock's Beard/Neal Morse - Neal leaving the band in 2002.  I remember the utter shock and dismay of the entire membership at SB's forum (which was pretty kicking back then) when it became official that Neal had left the band.  Regardless of the reasons why he left, and whether anyone agreed with or understood them, it was still extremely disappointing to see the creative driving force of the band depart just when they had hit their stride.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The biggest disappointments by your favorite bands (in real time)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
Systematic Chaos.  I was just getting into DT, had all of their discography when it came out.  Liked it at first, but slowly grew to become my least favorite.  I was very bummed that I might have really gotten into a band that was at the end of their creative life.  Good thing BC&SL proved me wrong.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Porcupine Tree - The remaster of Up the Downstair.

The only pre IA albums I have are the remasters. I was under the impression that it was difficult to get original versions.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:01:10 PM »
Two recent ones:

Dream Theater - Black Clouds
While I've kinda accepted what the music will sound like on a new DT release I was really excited that the lyrics were going to not be stupid fantasy stuff like SC but more personal. I figured they'd spend more time on them and actually make them good. Not only did they come out as sounding like they didn't even bother making more than one draft but I actually burst out laughing on the street the first time I heard the "finest wines" thing during The Count of Tuscany, and in a bad way. How you go from making fantasy lyrics to personal lyrics and somehow get worse is beyond me.

Between The Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
Since Colors and Alaska had finally clicked and I was really digging them I naturally couldn't wait for TGM. While stuff like Mirrors and Desert of Song is kinda cool the rest bored the shit out of me. The band is clearly trying to go in a direction that compliments their technical abilities more than their songwriting abilities which they were able to pull off well with Colors but at least that album had really good arrangements. TGM, especially stuff like Swim To The Moon and Fossil Genera sound like really rough cut and paste jobs with the riffs. I dunno what the hell happened but I've felt the urge to spin that CD in awhile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
Systematic Chaos.  I was just getting into DT, had all of their discography when it came out.  Liked it at first, but slowly grew to become my least favorite.  I was very bummed that I might have really gotten into a band that was at the end of their creative life.  Good thing BC&SL proved me wrong.

I actually liked SC quite a bit at first, too, mostly because I hated "Constant Motion" and was pretty iffy on "The Dark Eternal Night" when I heard them before the rest of the CD, and was pleasantly surprised when the rest of the CD was seemingly far superior to those two CDs. That didn't last long, however, as none of the tracks had any staying power with me.  And I agree that BC&SL was a very nice comeback!

Porcupine Tree - The remaster of Up the Downstair.

The only pre IA albums I have are the remasters. I was under the impression that it was difficult to get original versions.

The original UtD was still available before the remaster was released in '05.  I still have both.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
Muse - The Resistance

Barring the title track, Eurasia, and Uprising, this album was a major disappointment.

BTBAM - The Great Misdirect

For everything that Orcus already stated.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:59:59 PM »
The Great Misdirect.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
The past five years or so of Dream Theater, including overall album quality, song composition, lyrics, overall creativity and innovation (or lack thereof), general musicianship, and live performance. Total snowball for me.

I loved a lot of Octavarium but it was really the first album where I had trouble listening to a significant chunk of it (Okay, FII has about the same amount of songs I can't listen to but they don't seem to take up as much space :lol)... and I have barely listened to the last two. I also really don't want to see them live anymore because I've been so disappointed lately. The only reason I went twice on the last tour was ZPZ (and Bigelf).  

Edit: Oh, I also just remembered how disappointed I was in the seventh grade when Korn put out Follow the Leader :lol
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:46:37 AM by Boba2Crash »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Here are some:

Megadeth - Endgame

Although I'd been a Megadeth fan for many years, I was just starting to get out of thrash metal. Nevertheless I still had somewhat high hopes for this album. I don't know why, but I did. And upon my first listen, the generic song structures and completely uninspired playing just stuck out like a sore thumb. I couldn't stand it. I've only listened to that album once in full. And never again.

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Though I am not a big fan of this band any more (probably due to this album!) at the time it came out, I was just in love with V: The New Mythology Suite and Twilight In Olympus. I honestly had no idea what their new album was going to be like. The first track came on and it blew me away. The orchestration was just so cool melded with the metal. And from that point on, most of the songs went by in some sort of samey blur of riffs upon riffs. It just sounded so contrived. Trying so hard to appeal to a new group of fans.

Porcupine Tree - The Incident

Well, here is a good story for a change. I had finally got into Porcupine Tree and was LOVING Fear of a Blank Planet. So I was really excited for The Incident. And upon my first listen, my only thoughts were "Is that it?". It was just so underwhelming for some reason. It was rather boring, which was nearly the opposite to FOABP whose every second I loved. Only in February of THIS YEAR after I saw PT do an amazing show in my city, that I saw The Incident live and it fully clicked. It sounds cliche'd but I went back to the studio version after seeing it live and it was superb. Either it's a grower or I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I first listened to it. Either way, now I love it.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath.

Having gotten into Deloused (& Francis) in a big way, and being one of the few people I know who actually like Amputechture, Bedlam was a huge let down.  It just feels like a big wandering mess to me, and the few moments of glory (mostly from Pridgen's end) are not enough to save it from being lost in a murky slough of uninspired poop.

The White Stripes - Under Great White Northern Lights (Audio only)

The Stripes are awesome.  I'm a fan of every album, and on a good night, Jack and Meg can rock harder than anything.  They'd previously released a live DVD, Under Blackpool Lights, which is oodles better than this, capturing the band at the peak of their popularity during the Elephant tour.  This release is mainly full of below-par performances, and I think it just catches the band at the end of their tether, for now anyway.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:57 AM »
I don't think i've been let down by a band that's in my top10 or so, but some other bands:

Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight, like there aren't enough boring rock-bands out there

The Killers - i really liked their first 2 albums, but when their latest album came out, it was just a MAJOR disappointment, and i don't consider myself a fan anymore, since that's the way they're taking.

In Flames - A Sense of Purpose which wasn't close to earlier stuff

just to name a few

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 02:49:46 AM »
Slayer - Melbourne, October 9, 2009
Araya's voice was completely shot, he stopped the vocals maybe after the first song which was World Painted Blood. I was on the right side of the venue so I had to put up with an extremely loud Kerry King which was on the same side I was on. His solos were 90% wah wah'd and it was just ear piercing in every bad way possible. Barely could hear Jeff Hanneman too. When Megadeth was on, everyone was going nuts except for the Slayer fans, they were all sitting down on the seated areas where I was. I was very happy with Megadeth's performance. Slayer made me feel the opposite.

I really liked WPB when it was new, but after about 2 or 3 weeks the album became more and more dull and eventually I hated it. The title track is only maybe worth checking out, oh and the production is just incredi-bad. If you unhappy with Death Magnetic's sound/production you'll also be unhappy with WPB's.
Anyway that's the past and just a few disappointments I've encountered.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:58 AM »
Porcupine Tree - The last decade or so.
Being able to stand In Absentia, and only slightly being able to listen to Deadwing, after that it went further downhill. And just at that time I started to really get into The Sky...,Voyage 34 and Signify.

Dream Theater - Kinda what Jackie said, only I'd want to see them live once more, just to prove my point. I can still listen to them, every month or so, but the spark's gone.

Neal Morse - Lifeline
I remember really looking forward to it, loved every album he put out before that, the only problem was Sola Scriptura's lack of creativity, but I figured he would straighten that out with Lifeline. Only halfway through my first listen I noticed it had been going downhill with his creativity since SS. And this was no exception.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
Yeah, amen to the spark thing.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 04:11:22 AM »
I can only think of one, and a band you probably don't know, but anyway.

Samael - Above. A band I've really liked since I was like 12, they started as a black metal band so I'm not interested in the early albums, but since the album Passage they went into more of an electronic direction, sometimes even with an Eastern feeling, and the result is amazing - Passage and Eternal are recommended to everyone. The album that followed, called Reign of Light, wasn't as great, but still very good, but even more obvious oriental influences. The next one, Solar Soul, was unfortunately almost exactly the same... only not as good. And last year, they released Above. It was supposed to be "heavier than Passage". Well, I don't know what the hell is this, but it's nothing even close. Sounds like two guitar riffs throughout the album, drum programming set to "permanent blastbeats" (and from Passage onwards, it was almost impossible to tell they don't use real drums), and every song sounding the same, when on the previous albums each one was something different.

I still haven't considered the band "dead", especially that I've seen them live twice in 2009 and they absolutely kick ass, but I hope it's just a temporary loss of creativity.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
I really liked the first 2 albums from this band and while I was aware that they were moving away from Nu Metal on this album, I thought it was for the better, but barring 2-3 songs this albums blows.

BtBaM - The Great Misdirect
After how surprisingly awesome I found Colors to be, this was a big, big letdown.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 05:25:35 AM »
In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape. Ugh.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:36 AM »
Children of Bodom - Bloodrunk.  Absolute rubbish.

Hammerfall - All albums after Crimson Thunder.

Iced Earth - Crucible of Man - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Incubus - Everything after Morning View

Joe Satriani - Everything after Is There Love in Space

Mastodon - Crack the Skye *ducks for cover*

I loved Mastodon's trilogy of Remission, Leviathan and Blood Mountain.  I could not get into Crack the Skye at all.  A huge step down for them IMO.  I know I will get flamed by that's my opinion, it is an absolute snooze fest.

Slipknot - All Hope is Gone.  Absolute garbage.

Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays.  Unia was a masterpiece, this is not.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Perpetual Flame.  With Ripper is should have rocked, but I couldn't help but be disappointed.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos, this album was unacceptable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:07 AM »
Cliché, but Metallica - St Anger. I love Load and I enjoy ReLoad, but St. Anger was a big ass WTF for me. Completely lost faith in them and still haven't recovered (no, I don't like Death Magnetic).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
Cliché, but Metallica - St Anger. I love Load and I enjoy ReLoad, but St. Anger was a big ass WTF for me. Completely lost faith in them and still haven't recovered (no, I don't like Death Magnetic).

I love St Anger, but hated Death Magnetic.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
Dream Theater - everything on BCSL between ANTR and TCOT. I was a  :sadpanda:

Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone, I absolutely hated it. Everything after the intro was horrible. It made me want to burn all my other albums.

Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk, I HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT.

gone

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »

I disliked both of them.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:04 AM »
Children of Bodom - Bloodrunk.  Absolute rubbish.

Slipknot - All Hope is Gone.  Absolute garbage.

Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone, I absolutely hated it. Everything after the intro was horrible. It made me want to burn all my other albums.

gone

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »
Dream Theater - everything on BCSL between ANTR and TCOT. I was a  :sadpanda:

I don't even remember what the intro is to All Hope is Gone.  I'm not gonna find out either.  I think if I put that album on again I will puke.  It's bad, very very bad.

I agree 100% with Blooddrunk.  I also literally hated every fucking microsecond of that album.  Sooooo dissapointing.  Are you Dead Yet was a step down, but it was still a good record, Blooddrunk is just taking the piss.

Good to see great minds think alike.

Offline LTE

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 07:29:23 AM »

Incubus - Everything after Morning View

I agree with this, all of their pre A Crow Left of the Murder albums are equally great imo. They had their sound perfected, but got so poppy and generic with everything afterwards, especially their latest abomination.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 07:38:52 AM »

I really like both.  :P

For me, this will get laughed down, but:

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

I know I'll be slightly outnumbered on a prog forum, but I actually really really enjoyed American Idiot. I was so disappointed with how shockingly little new there was on 21stCB, even though it was a Green Day album. At least American Idiot had two 9 minute songs which made a nice change. :P

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
Green Day - Warning and beyond

Offline LTE

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »
At least American Idiot had two 9 minute songs which made a nice change. :p

Green Day has 2 9 minute long songs???

What the hell do they do for those 9 minutes?
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »

Teenage angst.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »

They're actually pretty good, although they're admittedly just four 2 and bit minute songs stuck together. They're stuck pretty well though.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
Protest the Hero - Fortress.

Reason: it had more than 30 seconds of music that I didn't like

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Though I am not a big fan of this band any more (probably due to this album!) at the time it came out, I was just in love with V: The New Mythology Suite and Twilight In Olympus. I honestly had no idea what their new album was going to be like. The first track came on and it blew me away. The orchestration was just so cool melded with the metal. And from that point on, most of the songs went by in some sort of samey blur of riffs upon riffs. It just sounded so contrived. Trying so hard to appeal to a new group of fans.

Good call on "Paradise Lost".

Also:

The "Load" album.   At the time, I just couldn't handle Alternica.   I like the album just fine now.

"90125" and "Big Generator".  Trevor Rabin-era Yes killed me.  I still haven't included these albums in my collection

Mercyful Fate breaking up after putting out their masterpiece album "Don't Break The Oath".  I was devastated.  In hindsight, we got something equal, if not better, with the King Diamond band.

"Led Zeppelin III".  After the heavy metal crunch of II (the Brown Bomber), I was completely taken aback by III and remember thinking WTF when I first heard all the acoustic tracks.  It was only much later that I came to recognize the real depth of this album, which worked to set up the brilliance of Zoso IV.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:46:53 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline porksoda

• Sorry 'bout the window
  • ...what a nice throw
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
The Incident - Porcupine Tree.
I dunno, it just really feels like this was strictly a one-man operation, with the other members just going along. Foabp felt fresh to me, and had much more band-oriented tunes on it. The incident tries a little too hard being a really really long song. I also can't shake the STRONG "Dogs" vibe all over Time Flies. I like the last parts, though. After Time Flies.

Dream Theater - Raw Dog
Ok, not exactly an album... I wish DT would have dropped the Meshuggah-riffing. It doesn't suit them, IMO.

I'll post more when I think of more
https://myspace.com/lobotomitheband

Do you find John Petrucci attractive?

JW...

That's bestiality, and is unrelated to this discussion

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »
YOU'RE ALIVE!!

Offline porksoda

• Sorry 'bout the window
  • ...what a nice throw
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »
Sure am!

Octahedron - Mars Volta.
This album has a few good tracks, but mostly it's a snorefest. Granted, it's been a while since I listened to it. Maybe it needs another go!

https://myspace.com/lobotomitheband

Do you find John Petrucci attractive?

JW...

That's bestiality, and is unrelated to this discussion