Author Topic: New Y&T tune: Shine On, live in Chicago  (Read 3697 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
New Y&T tune: Shine On, live in Chicago
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »
This is one of the new tunes from the Facemelter album, which is due out later this month.  First time it has ever been played:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDz4imRipjg

And because I know Cozmo will ask, since he always does:  Yes, that's the Bonnie Raitt strat with lace pickups.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Y&T tune: Shine On, live in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:33:02 AM »
Underrated band.

Here's there new clip.  Very impressive IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw63i6fbAQI&playnext_from=TL&videos=PHiKhdJE1vE&feature=sub
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Official video for the new song: 

Blabbermouth has posted the video release for "I'm Coming Home".

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139544

"I'm Coming Home", the new video from Californian rockers Y&T, can be viewed below. The song comes off the band's first studio album in 13 years, "Facemelter", which is scheduled for release in Europe on May 21 via Frontiers Records.

Y&T's current lineup features original members Dave Meniketti and Phil Kennemore (bass), along with longtime members John Nymann (guitar) and Mike Vanderhule (drums).

Regarding the "I'm Coming Home" track, Dave Meniketti recently said, "Everyone can identify with this song. That is why I think this song will be a strong contender live. At least I hope it does. It is probably one of those songs you can take four different ways. But it is all about the same basic idea, which is about finding a place where you consider home and how much that means to you in one way or another. Whether that means you have been traveling forever and you just can't wait to get home because you know how much that means to you. Or you are a service person that can't wait to get home or you are lost sort of in life and didn't realize the place that was going to offer you comfort that you needed was right in front of you. For me, personally, it was all of those things but also meant for another reason. It was sort of a thank-you to the great fans that we got that sort of make us feel that we are at home when we are away from home. In particular there was at least one show last year that personified that for me when I had gotten very ill from a flu-like kind of virus and I lost my voice. It was a very big show in Newcastle, England. Here we are with thousands of people and I couldn't sing a note but I tried my hardest but they knew I was sick and I couldn't do it. They sang every song for me out there in the crowd and they didn't give me hell. In fact, most of them posted online and said, 'We respect the hell out of you for showing up and not canceling the show and trying your hardest. It was fun just singing all of those songs and helping you out.' See, that is the kind of special we can say is something that we can be proud of. I felt that when I wrote that song that also was something that I was trying to say. Thank you for making it home for us when we go out there."

"Facemelter" track listing:

01. Prelude
02. On With The Show
03. One Life
04. Shine On
05. Wild Child
06. I Want Your Money
07. I'm Coming Home
08. If You Want Me
09. Hot Shot
10. How Long
11. Gonna Go Blind
12. Don't Bring me Down
13. Blind Patriot
14. Losing My Mind (European bonus)
15. Deadly Deceiver (Japanese bonus)

As the title indicates, "Facemelter" is a hard-rockin', song-oriented album that lives up to its name: it captures the band's raw energy and tightness that they've become known for. Featuring heavy grooves, powerful guitars, and strong melodies, the band shows their versatility, delivering a range of high-energy rockers, mid-tempo head-bangers, modern rock grooves, majestic ballads, and signature Y&T rock anthems. To mark the return, the band engaged John Taylor Dismukes — the same artist who designed covers for Y&T's classic albums "Mean Streak", "Black Tiger" and "In Rock We Trust" — to create the amazing art of the new "Facemelter".

Face-melting is a term that has been with Y&T since the mid-'70s, when a rabid fan ran backstage and told the band, "you melted my face," which inspired the group's first publishing company: "Facemelting Music."

Y&T is:

Dave Meniketti - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitars
Phil Kennemore - Bass Guitar, Vocals
John Nymann - Guitar, Vocals
Mike Vanderhule - Drums & Percussion, Vocals
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
I had the new video on kind of in the background this morning, and just got a chance to crank it up a bit and actually watch it.  Just...wow.  I am pleasantly surprised by how good both the song and the video are.  I was worried that this latest album would not live up to expectations, even after hearing clips of all the songs (which sound good, by the way).  But this song definitely delivers.  And if the clips are any indication, this is not anywhere near the best song on the album.  Major thumbs up for this one!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
Agree.  I was just watching the clip again too.  I wasn't too thrilled with the sound bites at first, but this video and song is killer.  That Shine On song sounds quite excellent also.  Dave is such a great underrated talent.  Will look forward to getting this album and just enjoying some good classic hard rock.

Oh and the lack of Y&T appreciation on this board makes me sad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
I like I'm Coming Home a lot!

Bosk, is there a US release date for this?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
I like the chorus a lot.  You don't get to hear that style of choruses anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »
There were a couple of moments that reminded me of Midnight In Tokyo.

It's nice that Meniketti hasn't lost that signature guitar sound. I hope this album stays away from some of the juvenile lyrics and themes that really seem to undercut the class of the band. Scorpions suffer from the same issue, especially on their new album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Bosk, is there a US release date for this?

5/21.  You can preorder on www.meniketti.com.  I think the band gets a better cut if you order direct, but I havent' gotten confirmation from them on that.

I like the chorus a lot.  You don't get to hear that style of choruses anymore.

Very true.

Yeah, I definitely hear it as well.  I don't get the "they ripped themselves off" vibe.  But there is definitely a comforting air of familiarity there.

I hope this album stays away from some of the juvenile lyrics and themes that really seem to undercut the class of the band.

From what I've heard so far, I think they mostly have, but not entirely.  They've always been a band to throw in a song or two each album that are just tongue in cheek and frivolous to the point some would consider them juvenile.  It is what it is.  Most of the songs are pretty serious and mature sounding.  But when you've got Phil Kennemore writing lyrics to a song called Gonna Go Blind...I'm sure it's not hard to figure out what that'll be about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
But when you've got Phil Kennemore writing lyrics to a song called Gonna Go Blind...I'm sure it's not hard to figure out what that'll be about.

I hear he's already working on the sequel..Growing Hair In My Palms

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
:lol  Actually, I think this is the sequel to Messin' With Mr. Big.  (great, now I'm going to have that riff stuck in my head...)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:52:59 AM »

Coming Home is basically finishing the trilogy that Tokyo and Forever started!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:15 AM »
I think you'd have to throw Still Falling in there as well.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
I'm coming home is a pretty good song.  Pretty cool video also.  I definitely like Shine On better of the two, though.  Just has a lighter, more "feel-good" feel to it.  And yes, that Strat has an absolutely AMAZING tone to it.  Holy shit.  I also listened to Summertime Girls live from the same show.  The harmonies with those guys are fantastic.  Love it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
You must see them on tour.  :hefnotoad:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
It was much better than 'Cats.' I would see it again and again and again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
:tup  Nice quote.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
I had some doubt as to whether or not anybody would have a clue what I was talking about.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »
No, I got it.  Points to me for picking up on it as a quote from a SNL skit.  Bonus points to me for knowing that quote is a takeoff on a line from Six Degrees of Separation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 01:32:17 PM »
You know, I was just thinking the other day that Summertime Girls really isn't a bad song.  The primary stigmas associated with that song come from (1) the label making them add keyboards to give it more of a pop sound and crossover appeal, and (2) the video.  But what if we pretend we never saw that video?  The song has tremendous riffs, melody in spades, and a cool guitar solo.  Take away the keyboards, and you've actually got a pretty good rock song.  Yeah, the lyrics aren't deep and are completely frivolous, but lots of good bands were doing the same thing when it came to "partyin' with my friends and just havin' a good time" songs.  (Van Halen's Summer Nights fits the bill perfectly)  Anyway, just sayin'.  Respond now, Cozmo.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
This is exactly what I've always said about this song.  It's fun, it's catchy, it DOES have a great riff, it DOES have a great solo, the vocal harmonies are heavenly, Dave sounds awesome on it.  Even though I'm not usually a HUGE keyboard fanatic, I think here, they add that extra little bit of something that pushes the awesome factor over the edge.  The video may have been a little on the cheesy side, but that was 25 years ago, so I think they get a pass.  ;)  Also, it's chock-full of chicks in bikinis.  Not a thing wrong with that.

It is one of the most perfect party tunes I can think of (good call on Summer Nights).  It's on the playlist for when we host wet t-shirt contests at gigs.  It's carefree and it speaks to every guy on the planet.  Anytime it comes up on my iPod, for three minutes and twenty-eight seconds of the day, my world is a better place.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
Must've been a slow day Bosk! :lol

I'm thinking of Bon Jovi's In And Out Of Love video. I recall that was pretty good for the summer of 85 as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 04:53:58 PM »
Get well soon Phil.  :'(

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:03 AM »
I'm thinking of Bon Jovi's In And Out Of Love video. I recall that was pretty good for the summer of 85 as well.

I've heard it a zillion times, but I really don't think I ever saw the video.  I must check it out, then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »

I've heard it a zillion times, but I really don't think I ever saw the video.  I must check it out, then.

yeah, make sure you youtube it. It was filmed down at the shore and has a great summer vibe to it. I probably haven't seen it in over 20 years :D

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
listening right now...first listen for Y and T (other than maybe as a kid, but I don't remember for sure)...not bad.  sounds like good ol' rock and roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
Which song, Yesh?  The live clip?  As far as the new stuff, the video I posted farther down the page is 10 times the song that live one is.  Coming Home

But if you've never really heard the band before, this is really the quintessential Y&T song, performed live:  Forever

EDIT:  Of course, Meniketti isn't quite up to this guy's level as a singer, but he does what he can:  Jeff Scott Soto couldn't even finish this one!   :biggrin:

EDIT2:  I have no idea why links aren't posting properly, so let me fix...   >:(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:28:42 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
So when will you get to sing War Pigs?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
:lol  Whenever someone'll play it.  (But I should'a said "Freebird")

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »

But if you've never really heard the band before, this is really the quintessential Y&T song, performed live:  Forever

I agree. This song still gives me chills almost 30 years later.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
listening to forever right now...loved the intro

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
Rob Halford once said in an interview that Forever is the quintessential '80s metal song.  (well, he didn't say "'80s," but I added that for clarification since he said it in the '80s)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 03:41:39 AM »
Really digging Facemelter, a great collection of songs.