Author Topic: The Theocracy Thread  (Read 44632 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: The Official Theocracy Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
nothing like Christians and Pagans teaming up for a heavenly release of new music!
I think that should be a festival tour: Christians and Pagans.

For the Christian side I would pick: Theocracy, Tourniquet, and Believer.

How about the Pagan side?  You would need one power/progressive metal band, one progressive metal band, and one progressive/thrash metal band.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
Thread bumped because they came up in FB chat.  So awesome.

EVERYONE GO LISTEN TO THEOCRACY NOW
   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
AS I STEPPED INSIDE
I COULD SEE ANOTHER MIRRROOORRRR
A MIRROOORRR SO BRIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHTTT
THAT MY EYES MUUSST TURN AWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
I RUN AWAY AS FAST AS MY FEET CAN CARRY ME!!!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »
Bump for a few new updates and whatnots:

Interview with Matt Smith

Song making fun of LeBron James

Matt Smith laying down some vocals for the new album

Also, must note this comment on the vocal video from SuperTheocracy:

"this is singer!!!!!!! Matt, theocracy are beast :)"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »
WHEN THE F#%K IS THE NEW ALBUM COMING OUT???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
WHEN THE F#%K IS THE NEW ALBUM COMING OUT???

IDK... AT LEAST HE'S DOING VOCALS!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
WHERE THE F#%K CAN YOU FIND ANY OF THEIR ALBUMS???

I KNOW!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
WHERE THE F#%K CAN YOU FIND ANY OF THEIR ALBUMS???
I KNOW!
I know Mirror Of Souls (their most recent) is on itunes.  That album and the debut (s/t) are probably available from Amazon as well.  I doubt you'd find it anywhere in a physical store, though.  While the debut has some decent stuff on it, Mirror Of Souls is light years ahead of it.  Are we to take your interest as a sign of liking this band, bosk? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
I really like what I've heard so far (and, no, I can't tell you the names of specific songs I've heard without going back and checking again, but there are quite a few songs on YouTube that I've checked out).  But can't find them in any store, and I've been looking since :spider: first mentioned them to me about 2 years ago.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
Well, the debut was released on God only knows what label.  Mirror Of Souls is on Ulterium/Nightmare, which I'm guessing is still pretty obscure, at least here in the states.  I would recommend getting a copy from Amazon or from the Theocracy website because you ain't gonna find it in a store anywhere.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
They need to quit jerkin' around and get popular.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
I'm sure they have all intentions of that, specially with this third album.  They all still work their day jobs.  Also, BTW, they're from the same town as me: Athens, Ga.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »
Cool.  I like GA a lot, but never ran into anyone down there who liked good music.  :biggrin:

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
Some would say you still haven't

:neverusethis:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Mirror of Souls = :metal :metal :metal

Will give more listens, but first listen is awesome metal.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »
Shit yes it is. The title track is fuckin' immense on so many levels, I love it.

Plus, On Eagles Wings always brings a smile to my face.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
It's gonna need more listens to fully digest like any album, but I was very happy with it. Title track was ace.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
 :tup

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:23 PM »
Fuck yeah, Theocracy -- flying the flag for Christian metal  :metal

Matt Smith sits at the right hand of God and gives vocal lessons to mere mortals.

You know something I find interesting, especially within the genre this music is in, is that the album never gets boring at all even though there are comparatively few guitar solos.  I think it really shows the strength of the songwriting. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 05:34:04 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
Well, the debut was released on God only knows what label.  Mirror Of Souls is on Ulterium/Nightmare, which I'm guessing is still pretty obscure, at least here in the states.  I would recommend getting a copy from Amazon or from the Theocracy website because you ain't gonna find it in a store anywhere.

The debut was released on a label called Metal Ages Records, which as near as I can tell is defunct; the fact that the latest thing I can find connected to them on Google is a page from 2006 strongly suggests that. Metal Ages also released Power of Omens' excellent Rooms of Anguish the same year the Theocracy debut came out, which meant that a tiny label that apparently had only six or so releases put out two of my favorite CDs of 2003. Mirror of Souls was an improvement of light years over the debut, which I enjoyed greatly but kind of suffered from being a one man band project. (Programmed drums, I just can't get into them.) Glad to hear they're working on a new CD.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jsem

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
I'm currently giving Mirror of Souls a listen. 2 tracks in atm.. I'm liking some of the stuff in the verses...

So much cheese in the choruses though, wow.  I'm usually not too picky on stuff being cheesy or whatever, but this is just borderline on the songs becoming unbearable.

edit:

Writing in the Sand = :hefdaddy
Martyr = :letam: :metal
Title Track = wow
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:51:53 PM by jsem »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »
jsem - glad you liked some of the songs.  That title track truly defines epic!  The thing with the "cheesiness" or whatever is that, while I can totally understand why someone would have that opinion, I don't care.  I just adore what Matt Smith does vocally: choruses, verses, whatevs.  Maybe it helps that I'm a fan of the lyrical content, too.  I could definitely see someone who wasn't particularly religious really hating the lyrics, although there are several peeps on this board who like Theocracy just fine without being religious.  So who knows?  One person's cheese is another person's glory sent down from heaven. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
Matt giving a little behind the scenes on some choir harmony parts.  Also, he says recording for the new album is drawing to a close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILZhE91Z2k

Offline jsem

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
jsem - glad you liked some of the songs.  That title track truly defines epic!  The thing with the "cheesiness" or whatever is that, while I can totally understand why someone would have that opinion, I don't care.  I just adore what Matt Smith does vocally: choruses, verses, whatevs.  Maybe it helps that I'm a fan of the lyrical content, too.  I could definitely see someone who wasn't particularly religious really hating the lyrics, although there are several peeps on this board who like Theocracy just fine without being religious.  So who knows?  One person's cheese is another person's glory sent down from heaven. 
Cheese... yeah. I wasn't really talking lyrically, more musically.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
the new album will be out when HE says so.

bosk I mentioned to you via pm the availability of their music.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
Mirror of Souls = :metal :metal :metal

Will give more listens, but first listen is awesome metal.

This.

Anyone know where I can find Matt Smith's Obsidian Conspiracy? The youtube video in the OP was deleted.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
I think Matt Smith took it down, either because the contest was so old or he was asked to -- not sure.  Sucks, though, cause he put an incredible vocal on that track.  Wish I would have downloaded it while it was still up.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
Poo gas.

I listened to Mirror Of Souls twice today. The christian fantasy lyrics (see what I did thur?) don't bother me too much any more. I'm gonna buy this album soon.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
I gave the first album a go, and it wasn't too bad, but this band improved by a gazillion with Mirror Of Souls. Having a full band works much better. Will be ordering said album on Thursday. :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
I like the first album, but hearing it after Mirror of Souls really makes the lower production value noticeable.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
Finally got Mirror Of Souls. I bought it from a place called ImportCDs, who specialize in import versions of CDs hence the name, yet I got the regular addition without the bonus track, Wages Of Sin, which was advertised in the description as being on the album. I listened to it on YouTube and it's a pretty good song. Reminds me of a heavier Offspring.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
Finally got Mirror Of Souls. I bought it from a place called ImportCDs, who specialize in import versions of CDs hence the name, yet I got the regular addition without the bonus track, Wages Of Sin, which was advertised in the description as being on the album. I listened to it on YouTube and it's a pretty good song. Reminds me of a heavier Offspring.
Cool.  I just got the album in mp3 format off of emusic several years ago.  Does the booklet have anything cool in it?  Lyrics?  Artwork?