Author Topic: The Theocracy Thread  (Read 44544 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Theocracy Thread v. 1ST MUSIC VIDEO
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
So, seeing this was not posted. Kind of older news, but:

They have found themselves a new drummer and are recording a new album! They are in the studio this week.

(live rehearsal with the new guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYuJCiJZP08)

Oh, and Matt released a charity single (not under the name of Theocracy, but similar music nontheless) with some guest vocalists last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weSXbY6qcYM

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
Great. Can't wait for new music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
New album details! 

https://www.facebook.com/theocracyband/photos/a.10150350063982462.349370.70080572461/10153946519587462/?type=3&theater

THEOCRACY: NEW ALBUM "GHOST SHIP" ANNOUNCED

The Athens, Georgia-based melodic metal band THEOCRACY will release their new album "Ghost Ship" on October 28th in Europe and North America through Ulterium Records. Information on different editions and formats will be announced soon.

With Ghost Ship, Theocracy perfects the lively and fully-realized sound of As the World Bleeds, delivering 10 muscular and streamlined tracks that never lose focus and combine for one memorable journey. You like midtempo singalong anthems? Try the “Ghost Ship” title track. Thrashy rhythms and intensity? “The Wonder of It All” should be to your liking. Emotional ballads with huge melodic hooks? Go “Around the World and Back.” Or if you prefer epic, progressive tracks that do all these things and more, 10-minute album closer “Easter” is sure to be a favorite. Each song on Ghost Ship stands alone and has a unique signature, but every moment sounds unmistakably like Theocracy.

“So many kids were coming up to us after shows and telling us their stories,” says Theocracy vocalist Matt Smith. “A lot of them were searching for purpose and a place to fit in, and having grown up as an awkward and unpopular kid myself, their words really stuck with me. I started thinking about what a band of misfits Jesus’ disciples were: fishermen, tax collectors, and people of little consequence in the eyes of the world. Sometimes the ones most people don’t see, or choose to look straight through—the ghosts of society, as it were, dead to the world—end up having the biggest impact. That’s where the title and idea for Ghost Ship came from: all the misfits, the uncool, the outcasts, there is a place where you do fit in. Although Ghost Ship is not a concept album, this is a recurring theme, particularly in the title track and ‘Castaway.’”

"Ghost Ship" track listing
 01. Paper Tiger
 02. Ghost Ship
 03. The Wonder Of It All
 04. Wishing Well
 05. Around the World and Back
 06. Stir the Embers
 07. A Call To Arms
 08. Currency In A Bankrupt World
 09. Castaway
 10. Easter

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
AWESOME!!!!  :metal

Offline contest_sanity

Re: The Theocracy Thread v. Ghost Ship (NEW ALBUM 10/28)
« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
thread title changed accordingly

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
New album teaser
https://bravewords.com/news/theocracy-release-teaser-video-for-upcoming-ghost-ship-album

So stoked for this. Been listening to them for the last couple of weeks. No way they can beat the last two albums. Can they?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
No way they can beat the last two albums. Can they?

Um...do you want me to answer truthfully?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2016, 04:11:22 PM »
Anything close would be an awesome album. Mirror Of Souls and As The World Bleeds are close to perfect albums IMO.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
I have faith in Matt Smith to top himself. And why Bosk gotta troll us Theocracy fans? He really didn't like ATWB? At least the title track? I have a few metalhead friends who dislike Theocracy in general but still love that track.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
The entire album is damn near perfect.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »
That teaser is brilliant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »
You guys have heard this, right?
Matt's Project Aegis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BLEFkQGpg

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
I have faith in Matt Smith to top himself. And why Bosk gotta troll us Theocracy fans? He really didn't like ATWB? At least the title track? I have a few metalhead friends who dislike Theocracy in general but still love that track.
:dunno:  As I've said, on paper, I really should like this band.  But in practice, I just find that their songs leave a LOT to be desired.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
The devil has spoken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
And I wouldn't say no.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Personally for me, there are some songs on each of the last two albums that I LOVE.  But there are also skippers on each (for me, at least).  The good songs more than make up for the OK songs and it's an automatic buy for me anyway.  So they absolutely can improve on an album for me, but they are already great quality.

I don't mean the above paragraph as a knock at all.  I feel bad even presenting criticism.  I love the band.  Every time I think about Theocracy I kick myself mentally for not meeting Matt Smith when I had the chance, I saw him at the first Morsefest and totally could have approached him but chickened out and decided against it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2016, 07:28:14 PM »
You guys have heard this, right?
Matt's Project Aegis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BLEFkQGpg

Yes! Awesome stuff. Me want more.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
Great song!  A few listens and I think I like it even more than the other release "Wishing Well."

And, the video features Faythe!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
That was actually pretty good.  And Wishing Well was even better.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
Is this the album where Theocracy finally impresses Bosk? Stay tuned to this thread...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
VIDEO SINGLE DROPPED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fpNQ67SaE

Is this the album where Theocracy finally impresses Bosk? Stay tuned to this thread...

Considering Bosk is playing bass in the video, there's a good chance!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Freaking awesome tune!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
First impressions...

The wait is finally over!!!  I've been anxiously waiting for this release - didn't want to be disappointed.  I'm totally not disappointed, Ghost Ship rocks!!! 

After reading reviews, I was kind of expecting it to be "As the World Bleeds: Pt 2" or continuing down more of that melodic path.  And maybe I could see why some would think that (and for the record that wouldn't even be a bad thing as that album was so great). 

Instead, I was pleasantly surprised at the heaviness and thrashy riffs throughout.  It's obviously still melodic, as that's what makes Theocracy great (one of the things).  But my first impression is that it just has more overall power than their previous album.  Not any more or less progressive, just great new power melodic metal.  The songs don't sound like rehashed versions of previous Theocracy albums.  Matt Smith proves again what a great songwriter he is (still regretting not meeting him when I saw him from a distance at the first Morsefest - darn my shyness!).

"Paper Tiger" "Ghost Ship" and "Wonder of it All" are all great examples of the heavy songs (of these 3 my favorite is Paper Tiger).  Then there's the "ballad" on the album, "Around the World and Back."  This is THE song on the album for me, I got misty eyed when I first heard it honestly.

One review compared the song "Easter" to "I Am" and pulled the "Neal Morse influence" card.  I don't hear it.  Maybe I will with more listens, but to me they are nothing alike, and I don't hear Neal influence (although I do with "I Am").  Not a good or bad thing.  "I Am" is a one of a kind song that may never be topped. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2016, 07:54:27 PM »
This album is very heavy. Loving it. So happy for new Theocracy. Did anyone catch Jonathan Hinds' wristband in his CD pic?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2017, 07:32:49 PM »
Been listening to Theocracy a ton over the last week. Even included them in my Top 10 in the other thread. This band gets better with each album, and this is exactly how I like my music.

Probably the best band I've discovered in the last 15 years.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »
awesome band.  Really consistent output.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »
Man, I wonder if Theocracy is on DT's or maybe even Portnoy's radar? Would be dope to see them get an opening gig or a cruise slot with some bigger names. Although they already get huge crowds in Europe, not so much here in the States. The lead singer, Matt Smith, and I, have kinda become virtual friends over social media. We live in the same town (Athens, Ga), and we correspond on occasion over NBA-related content on Facebook. I try not to fan out too much over Theocracy, but I'll bring their music up every now and then. Anyway, all their success is deserved. Couldn't happen to a nicer (or more hard working) group of guys. Hope they continue to grow for decades to come.

For your amusement: Youtube reviewer (who I assume normally doesn't do too much power metal), loses his mind over "Laying The Demon To Rest":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXCjiPxJr5M

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
For your amusement: Youtube reviewer (who I assume normally doesn't do too much power metal), loses his mind over "Laying The Demon To Rest":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXCjiPxJr5M
:rollin

I usually reach for a beer when I hear Matt scream at the beginning too!

"Fuckin' right, man" :lol
"That song had every-fuckin'-thing in it". :metal

That's pretty much my reaction every time I hear LTDTR. What a great song!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
Posting.  Following.  Loving this band.  Just discovered them as well in the last year - despite YtseBitsySpider giving them to me in my first roulette - ironically, Laying the Demons to Rest ... too thrashy for me, it just didn't click.  Other than that putting me off them for a few years, I'm kicking myself, because all four albums are top notch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
It's funny, because Laying The Demon To Rest is pretty much the only song I'll listen to from them anymore. Loved Theocracy back when that album came out. When I listened to As The World Bleeds, I realized I had gotten over their sound. Should give that record another chance someday.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
I've never really paid much attention to this band, but just listened to the title track from Ghost Ship - that is one killer riff and the vocals are amazing. 

I may have to get that disc.   :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
Ghostship is fantastic. Listen to the thrashtastic start to Wonder Of It All:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkoKD8lSsNo&list=RDTkoKD8lSsNo

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »
Whoa. Theocracy vs. Faythe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fpNQ67SaE