Author Topic: In Flames  (Read 75814 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: In Flames
« Reply #315 on: April 13, 2014, 03:06:50 AM »
I like Playground. I used to love ASOP but I don't anymore. Regarding the whole post-Clayman era, Come Clarity definitely takes the cake for me.

Offline Onno

« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »
Cover art has been revealed on the website. I think it looks amazing. Also, the snippet on the website, though rather short, sounds good.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2014, 04:44:20 AM »
The cover reminds me of Come Clarity... I'm not expecting a return to roots, but the snippet sounds a little bit like older IF and I might have to check the album out if there's more of that style.

Also, they signed to Epic? Few metal bands are on major labels nowadays.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
I'm so excited, the album cover is great and the snippet sounds money. But why are they releasing it in September?? Pretty far down the line...

Offline adace

« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
The new single Rusted Nail was released on Spotify in Scandinavia but you can find it on Youtube.

I really don't dig it. The last album was pretty decent but this song is just boring and uninspired.

Hopefully there's much better tracks but I'm not really looking forward to the new one at this point. :-\

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2014, 04:43:58 AM »
Yea pretty much follows the standard formula they have been doing for the last couple of years.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Onno

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:09 AM »
The intro is very good, but the verses suck bigtime, wow. The choruses are decent; I like how the intro guitar lick comes back in the background. The solo is boring. Overall, it's a big 'meh' for me. I liked the singles from SOAPF a whole lot better.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
I listened to the new song and all I can say is: meh. I like the intro, but after that it goes to hell. I respect the band's desire to move on musically, but by now it's pretty clear that post-Reroute IF isn't meant for me. It's a shame, because they used to be damn good and I usually like it when bands evolve, but IF's new stuff is pretty generic IMO. Even Jesper himself has admitted that the last 3 albums he made with the band were not that good.

On a more positive note, I got Subterranean yesterday and it rocks! :metal Now I'm just waiting for my copy of the Lunar Strain box to arrive in the mail.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Remember the first time I heard Embody the Invisible from Colony. Never heard that mix of melodic and death metal before, I loved everything about it, it felt so refreshing and  :metal back then. I think it was around the beginning of 2000.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01:12 AM »
Man, I just love the Post Clayman In Flames.  I think both eras are teriffic, but I just can't deny how much I like what they have done since RTR.  New song is great, I guess I'm a bit of a fan boy though it seems.  The verse is a bit weird, but the chorus is great.  Really looking forward to this album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #325 on: June 09, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
Man, I just love the Post Clayman In Flames.  I think both eras are teriffic, but I just can't deny how much I like what they have done since RTR.  New song is great, I guess I'm a bit of a fan boy though it seems.  The verse is a bit weird, but the chorus is great.  Really looking forward to this album.
I mostly agree with this, I'm just as much a fan of the new stuff than old, and I thought Playground is one of their strongest releases......but the new song is probably gonna grow on me, cuz it didn't hit me right away.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2014, 06:48:42 PM »
I mostly agree with this, I'm just as much a fan of the new stuff than old, and I thought Playground is one of their strongest releases......but the new song is probably gonna grow on me, cuz it didn't hit me right away.

Definitely, but for me Playground is really strong, but took a long time to grow.  When I first heard it, it didn't do much for me at all, but now I think it's killer.  Just a shame the new album is so far away.

Offline Onno

« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »
Yeah, I loved Playground.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2014, 05:05:33 AM »
Yeah, I loved Playground.

It's just a well balanced, mature album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:57 AM »
I'm actually really loving this new song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
I gave up on the band after A Sense of Purpose to be honest. That album was pretty bad, but at the time I kept telling myself that it was good, and I think I believed it at the time. I saw the band live on that tour and they put on a good show. Since then I have just totally lost interest in them. Maybe melodeath isn't for me anymore, because I don't even revisit their classic stuff, and they do have some good albums in their back catalog. I feel bad saying that, considering they are from my home city.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
Yeah, ASOP is a pretty bad album. I've listened to SOAPF and it's a bit better but, as with other new IF albums, there were just a couple of songs I liked (the title-track and A New Dawn) and the rest was forgettable. Even the few songs I like on the newer releases suffer because of Anders' moaning :-\

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
Remember the first time I heard Embody the Invisible from Colony. Never heard that mix of melodic and death metal before, I loved everything about it, it felt so refreshing and  :metal back then. I think it was around the beginning of 2000.

that was my intro to the band as well (a couple years after you). absolutely refreshing then, and even now – there's really nothing bad about that song, and the album was one of their last strong ones. i have the same reaction to "Zombie Inc.," which may have sold me even more than ETI!

Offline adace

« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
another new song: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/in-flames-new-song-through-oblivion-available-for-streaming/

This one actually isn't too bad. Pretty catchy.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
Anyone with Chrome that can play the track?

Offline Onno

« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
I can't play it with Chrome either.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »
Will listen to this later, but why release two songs so damn early before release?  If the album is ready and we are hearing two tracks, it should be out next month or early August.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2014, 07:12:24 AM »
another new song: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/in-flames-new-song-through-oblivion-available-for-streaming/

This one actually isn't too bad. Pretty catchy.

Call me a fan boy, but I really liked that.  Terrific atmosphere, but just like most of their later stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »
I just YT:ed it. I thnk it's a conflict with Chrome having buildt in adobe flash that Soundscloud dosen't fancy or something like that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »
I had to youtube it too.

Offline Onno

« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »
I just YT:ed it. I thnk it's a conflict with Chrome having buildt in adobe flash that Soundscloud dosen't fancy or something like that.
Most Soundcloud shit seems to work for me though. Just not that one, apparently.

Through Oblivion isn't that bad at all, it's better than Rusted Nail IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2014, 07:36:35 AM »
Looking through the comments, it's amazing at the high percentage of people that write the band off because of their early career.  I think if people just accepted the band is not what they were, they would find some great metal in the last handful of albums.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
It's a classic thing and will always happen with bands that have been gong on for a while and have established a certain genre. It's the constant circlejerk discussion about staying true or evolve.

Look at Opeth right now, even DT have hade their fair share of disbelief.

It's funny because over the years, basically since Bruce and Adrian joined there's no denying that Maidens formula of staying true have helped them gaining and keeping alot of their fans. It's a winning formula in the end whether you like or not. Fans know what to expect and let's face it, the casual/majority of fans couldn't care less about keeping something fresh or original. They just what an album that sounds good and can recognise soundwise being the band they love. You throw something indie or mainstream in the mix of a band with a steady fan base it's a collective suicide most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:08:47 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #343 on: June 13, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
Well, the downside of Maiden's approach is that you don't spread your net so wide. But the benefit is that, on the whole, people either like your stuff or don't.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: June 13, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
Yea I agree but keeping it "true" is also how Maiden grew their fan base through the years because it works both ways. Hardcore fans now what to expect from Maiden which spreads to younger fans that then get hooked on their newer stuff. Of course they have albums that are more popular than others but the core sound of Maiden have basically been kept intact through the years.

IM are unique though because basically every metal band old or new have some form of connection to Maiden. Every time all these bands in whatever genre talk about their childhood idols or favourite bands and Maiden comes up, all their younger fans will check them out in some way or another.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: June 13, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
Looking through the comments, it's amazing at the high percentage of people that write the band off because of their early career.  I think if people just accepted the band is not what they were, they would find some great metal in the last handful of albums.
Or perhaps people just don't like the new stuff, regardless of who made it :P As I said earlier, I accept the change, but the new stuff isn't the kind of music I like.

I'm not surprised that so many old fans feel alienated, because IF have abandoned a lot of the elements that made them so special back in the day - the intense instrumentation, the cool guitar harmonies, the powerful vocals and the thoughtful lyrics. Instead we get American-sounding simplistic riffs, whiny vocals and lyrics like "I feel like shit, but at least I feel something". I'm not expecting another Colony or Clayman, but listening to the new songs is kinda sad, because this is the band that wrote Artifacts of the Black Rain, Jotun, Zombie Inc. and Square Nothing. Luckily the old albums are still there for me to enjoy, and I guess IF are doing something right because they have over a million FB likes, sell lots of records and play at fairly big venues.

I think I'll just stay out of this thread, because I don't want to whine all the time :lol At least Dark Tranquillity still put out quality melodeath...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2014, 05:15:19 AM »
Rusted Nail video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9lCXVFCs20

Man, I'm loving this.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:39 PM »
MUH DESTINATION MUH MISSION MUH INTUITION

Yeah, I guess the chorus is cool but... Man I don't know what to think about these singles. I don't have a good feeling about this album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: August 17, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
Rusted Nail is better than Oblivion, but I'm hoping Oblivion is the only song of its kind on the album.  I'm actually really looking forward to this album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #349 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:30 AM »
Once you get over the fact that In Flames of today and the last couple of albums, bear no resemblance to the old IF melodic death metal sound, then I reckon your on the right track.
I don't care what kind of metal IF play, as long as the songs are good.