Author Topic: I have lost my Pain of Salvation virginity today, I purchased......  (Read 27706 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: I have lost my Pain of Salvation virginity today, I purchased......
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
  Daniel has a pretty awesome voice. We can all agree on that. 

:facepalm: I definitely do not agree with that. :biggrin:

I wish I could hate you to death.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
Forgot to leave this here:

for wolfking (as it might confuse him :P): It's a picture of the worlds best vocalist covered in fake blood for the video of a new song called 'Where it hurts'.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
Haven't noticed that but Flame to The Moth is a bit faster.

(The song which needed the most time to grow on me from Scarsick and now one of my favourites.)

It is? I didn't notice, but you could be right. Was Ending Themes played to a click track? I couldn't tell based off the behind the scenes stuff since he was talking about the BE dvd so often.

And FTTM is one of my favs too, but it didn't take any time to grow. In fact the only 'grower' on that album for me was Enter Rain. I still don't worship it the way everyone else does, but I like it a lot.
Yep, I noticed it immediately. The tempo is slightly faster. As for Flame to The Moth, I didn't like it at first, especially the nu-metallish vocals. Over time, I've grown to like it, and now I love it. Especially the lyrics.

Okay. I'll give my reasons as to why Scarsick is nowhere near what POS is capable of. First off, vocals. Daniel has a pretty awesome voice. We can all agree on that. Why someone with a voice like his would choose to rap is completely beyond me. Second, lyrics. Daniel is an amazing lyricist, yet much of the lyrics on Scarsick are nothing short of deplorable. Third, music. POS has made some of the most emotionally touching progressive metal I've ever heard, and they chose to make Disco Queen.

All of DT's albums have a different sound too. Systematic Chaos is EASILY their least awesome effort. Now, POS is a very diverse band. I agree there. But, Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element sound very similar. They follow the same styles, for the most part. It's what they do best, and that's why I believe those two are their strongest efforts. I'm all about being progressive, but when the music takes such a serious turn for the worse like Scarsick does, I should be allowed to dislike it. I shouldn't have to alter my opinion on it because "Oh, they're trying something new. I have to like it out of respect for the band." Objectively, Scarsick is pretty bad.
You're missing the point entirely. It's like wondering why should they create songs like Undertow when they can do 10-minute technical songs. He's chosen to use rapping because he wanted to, it fits the concept, it fits the idea, it fits the lyrics. And the effect is great (and I'm a person who usually despises rapping). Same thing for Disco Queen.

Saying your opinion as objective is retarded, no offence.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »
Forgot to leave this here:

for wolfking (as it might confuse him :P): It's a picture of the worlds best vocalist covered in fake blood for the video of a new song called 'Where it hurts'.

WTF?!!  :rollin

This video will certainly be a MUSIC VIDEO WIN!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
Modern Mother Mary - zzzzzzzzz (sorry fanboys)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Nothing to sorry about, imo it's the weakest point of Scarsick (after a very promising intro, unfortunately).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Nothing to sorry about, imo it's the weakest point of Scarsick (after a very promising intro, unfortunately).

Agree.

Looks like I'm getting into this band at the right time with a new album out this month.  Interesting to see the direction.  That new song is promising so far.  Also much shorter songs this time.  

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
Okay. I'll give my reasons as to why Scarsick is nowhere near what POS is capable of. First off, vocals. Daniel has a pretty awesome voice. We can all agree on that. Why someone with a voice like his would choose to rap is completely beyond me. Second, lyrics. Daniel is an amazing lyricist, yet much of the lyrics on Scarsick are nothing short of deplorable. Third, music. POS has made some of the most emotionally touching progressive metal I've ever heard, and they chose to make Disco Queen.

All of DT's albums have a different sound too. Systematic Chaos is EASILY their least awesome effort. Now, POS is a very diverse band. I agree there. But, Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element sound very similar. They follow the same styles, for the most part. It's what they do best, and that's why I believe those two are their strongest efforts. I'm all about being progressive, but when the music takes such a serious turn for the worse like Scarsick does, I should be allowed to dislike it. I shouldn't have to alter my opinion on it because "Oh, they're trying something new. I have to like it out of respect for the band." Objectively, Scarsick is pretty bad.
You're missing the point entirely. It's like wondering why should they create songs like Undertow when they can do 10-minute technical songs. He's chosen to use rapping because he wanted to, it fits the concept, it fits the idea, it fits the lyrics. And the effect is great (and I'm a person who usually despises rapping). Same thing for Disco Queen.

Saying your opinion as objective is retarded, no offence.
No, it's nothing like that. Undertow holds emotional depth. Most of Scarsick does not. I agree that it fits the style of music, but the style of music is quite poor compared to everything else POS has done.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Now I am really going to bed.
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »
It saddens me too see that 'Conditioned' isn't on the new album. I've seen it live twice now, and it is f'ing amazing.

But I am really looking forward to it as well. 2 weeks remaining :dangerwillrobinson:.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2010, 07:11:01 PM »
No, it's nothing like that. Undertow holds emotional depth. Most of Scarsick does not. I agree that it fits the style of music, but the style of music is quite poor compared to everything else POS has done.
Poor for you. Poor for those who can't get, or still haven't, into the album. What doesn't mean the album is bad by definition, it's just extremely weird for usual rock/metal standards and that's why it's insanely difficult to crack for most people.

I wasn't talking about emotional depth. I was talking about "what's the point of doing something technically simple, when you can do something BIG and technical".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Idiocracy - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
Poor for you. Poor for those who can't get, or still haven't, into the album. What doesn't mean the album is bad by definition, it's just extremely weird for usual rock/metal standards and that's why it's insanely difficult to crack for most people.

I wasn't talking about emotional depth. I was talking about "what's the point of doing something technically simple, when you can do something BIG and technical".
That's not what I was saying at all.  ???
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

If these songs really do NOTHING for you, while songs like Spitfall and Scarsick do, this might be a very bad sign.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »
In parallel, it is.
Why someone with a voice like his would choose to rap is completely beyond me.

If these songs really do NOTHING for you, while songs like Spitfall and Scarsick do, this might be a very bad sign.
I was similar, I've loved Scarsick since the first listen (actually it was the song that made me buy the album), but Idiocracy also needed time. Spitfall was like Flame to the Moth.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
 Daniel has a pretty awesome voice. We can all agree on that.  

:facepalm: I definitely do not agree with that. :biggrin:

I wish I could hate you to death.

:lol :biggrin: :hat

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
Wait what the fuck? You don't think DG is a good singer?

You just broke my mind.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »

You just broke my mind.

I didn't say that.  I disagreed with the assertion that he has an awesome voice.  There is a difference. ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Flame to the Moth - A much better song than the last two.  Definite nu metal influences but an enjoyable song throughout.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
In parallel, it is.
Why someone with a voice like his would choose to rap is completely beyond me.
...okay.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »

Why is that??

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

You just broke my mind.

I didn't say that.  I disagreed with the assertion that he has an awesome voice.  There is a difference. ;)

Even still, that's pretty damn blasphemous.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
Yeah... while I could understand why some people would dislike his voice, and while I agree that he is overrated by a lot of people here (I think he's incredible and one of the best vocalists in metal, and certainly my favorite, but there's far too many people that run around declaring him the best ever), I don't understand how someone could consider him bad, especially when compared to 99.8% of vocalists in progressive music, who are usually dull at best and godawful and hilarious at worst.

Flame to the Moth - A much better song than the last two.  Definite nu metal influences but an enjoyable song throughout.

Nothing wrong with that.

And I feel Idiocracy is the best damn song on the album :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »

You just broke my mind.

Even still, that's pretty damn blasphemous.

Not really. :)

Yeah... while I could understand why some people would dislike his voice, and while I agree that he is overrated by a lot of people here (I think he's incredible and one of the best vocalists in metal, and certainly my favorite, but there's far too many people that run around declaring him the best ever), I don't understand how someone could consider him bad, especially when compared to 99.8% of vocalists in progressive music, who are usually dull at best and godawful and hilarious at worst.

Who said he was a bad singer? ;)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
I know you didn't here, but I'm fairly certain you did elsewhere :lol if not, apologies. But then there's people like Zook, who called him something along the lines of an average power metal singer, which was mind-boggling to me, especially as I'm deathly allergic to power metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

Nothing wrong with that.

And I feel Idiocracy is the best damn song on the album :lol

Definitely nothing wrong with that.

Idiocracy may take more listens, I haven't discovered it's beauty yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »
On first listen, I think Daniel is a fantastic vocalist.  Not the best in the world, but there is nothing 'bad' about about his voice at all.  he's emotional, varied and has a great range, and that's just what I get from Scarsick.  He has great phrasing and excellent pitch control and note selections.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
Enter Rain - epic finale to the album.  AMAZING chorus.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
The entire song is amazing. It leaves me speechless after every listen of Scarsick.

As for the vocals, Scarsick doesn't expose his "normal" singing skills because it focuses more on the more unusual styles, and also uses more whispering and similar, he just took a different approach here. The previous albums show how amazing his singing is more clearly, especially songs like Idioglossia and Undertow.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Eh, Enter Rain is great but compared to other finales of theirs definitely pales. It did not stick with me nearly as much. Beyond the Pale and TPE are so powerful they have actually brought me to tears on bad days...  and Leaving Entropia  :heart

Scarsick.  Was this a smart move?

Wolfenstein, you and I seem to be on the same page very often regarding taste in music so I feel pretty confident suggesting The Perfect Element. Check out Reconciliation, The Perfect Element, and Used on youtube to get a taste since those are three of my favorite tracks from it.

Yeah, but I don't think these disembodied tracks will do the album justice. It needs to be heard all in one sitting... multiple times :)

Anyway, why isn't this all in the PoS thread??
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »
As far as TPE goes, King of Loss was the absolute last song to click for me. I had never noticed the reprise of Used that kicks that song up to a whole new level. I guess my brain just turned off during that song because the first half didn't sit well with me. I officially love every second of TPE now though.

Offline Adami

« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2010, 07:44:49 PM »
Wait, King of Loss has a used reprise? Where?

Also, thanks Jack, you're the first person on this board who agrees with me about Enter Rain.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
Wait, King of Loss has a used reprise? Where?

Also, thanks Jack, you're the first person on this board who agrees with me about Enter Rain.
Towards the end of the song. I'll get a timestamp. 7:03

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
HOW CAN SOMEONE NOT HEAR THAT ON THE FIRST LISTEN

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
HOW CAN SOMEONE NOT HEAR THAT ON THE FIRST LISTEN
I honestly don't know. It's one of my favorite moments on the album now that I know it's there.

Offline Adami

« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
The "we're all crying" part?
fanticide.bandcamp.com