Author Topic: Circle II Circle (Where should I start)  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Circle II Circle (Where should I start)
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:37:23 PM »
I was going to just PM this to Nick since he's probably the only one qualified to answer this, but I figured someone else may benefit from this as well.

Which albums should I start with for Circle II Circle?  I like Savatage and the few C2C songs Nick has played on WPAPU.  Since there are only 4, could anyone possessing them all rank them?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Circle II Circle (Where should I start)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:37:45 AM »
I was going to just PM this to Nick since he's probably the only one qualified to answer this, but I figured someone else may benefit from this as well.

Which albums should I start with for Circle II Circle?  I like Savatage and the few C2C songs Nick has played on WPAPU.  Since there are only 4, could anyone possessing them all rank them?

Circle II Circle is such an amazing, underrated band.  I have been in love with them since their first album.  Really, all albums are quality.  Let me break it down;

Watching in Silence:  Zak clearly hasn't broken out of the Savatage mould.  Of course, songs written with the help of Caffery and Oliva wouldn't help either.  This is a flat out amazing record.  If you like Savatage, this is a no brainer.  Melodic, symphonic, catchy, great record.  (This album basically has Jon Oliva's Pain band minus Jon Oliva)

Best tracks: Out of Reach, Sea of White, Into the Wind  :heart, Watching in Silence, Forgiven.

Middle of Nowhere:  A more slicker, modern album.  They are starting to form their own sound and not follow in the Zak era Sava stuff.  The guitar work here is really good.  The team of Andrew Lee and Evan Christopher is fantastic.  It's no where near as long lasting and memorable as Watching in Silence, but a great record all the way through.  It has some amazing moments.

Best tracks:  In This Life, Holding On, Cynical Ride, All That Remains

Burden of Truth:  One of the greatest melodic rock albums I have in my collection.  I have listened to this record so much it's not funny.  This album is perfect IMO.  Every song is memorable, melodic, well structured and well performed.  The main theme of the Da Vinci Code is and interesting concept and the songs flow through one another all the way to the end.  The guitar solos on this album are phenomenal.  Some of the greatest, most tasteful shredding I have ever heard, and Zak is on fire all the way through.  He sounds, inspired and powerful.  This is the essential C2C album and one of the finest melodic albums.

Best tracks: Who Am I to Be?, Matter of Time, Heal You, Revelations, Evermore, Messiah, Sentenced, Burden of Truth

Delusions of Grandeur:  The boys pretty much tried to keep the Burden of Truth feel on this one.  Some songs are recycled with Waiting a direct rip off of Revelations (I think) from Burden.  Nevertheless, this is a pretty strong record.  It has some filler, but some really epic moments.  I have not listened to this as much as the others, mainly because of the production, it's pretty thin and doesn't pack much punch.  It really lets it down for me.  If it had the production qualities of Middle of Nowhere or Burden of Truth, it would be really, really good.  Nevertheless, they really seem to be getting their own signature sound.  I might get this album out again and give it a spin.

Best tracks: Fatal Warning, Dead of Dawn, Echoes, Every Last Thing

Album rankings;

1. Burden of Truth
2. Watching in Silence
3. Middle of Nowhere
4. Delusions of Grandeur

Hope this helps.  Here's a couple of links;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUEkZyollU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrsXsEOUQiQ
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
Heh, I'll see your long, detailed, and excellent post by just adding that Burden of Truth is probably the best place to start. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
Being the fan of Savatage I am, I should probably check these guys out at some point... them and Jon Oliva's Pain.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
Thank you for your thoughtful, detailed post wolfking.  Sounds like I have my starting point  :tup  It seems like you saved Nickeh some work - I'm sure he doesn't mind though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »
Not at all, especially since I don't know Circle II Circle as well as he does.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Sorry Nick, I saw the thread title and got all excited!  :(

I have always just loved their sound, great band.  I've followed them since the start.  Anyone remotely interested in this melodic style of music should give this band a go.

Oh, dreamtheatervt, go and get Burden of Truth, NOW!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
For the record, Heal You is my favorite song from them, and if you don't like that one then I doubt you will like them at all!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
For the record, Heal You is my favorite song from them, and if you don't like that one then I doubt you will like them at all!

A perfect song  :heart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »
I just ordered all 4 albums on - Blind Faith :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 06:29:32 AM »
I just ordered all 4 albums on - Blind Faith :neverusethis:

Well done.  There is a lot of listening pleasure coming your way.  Please keep updating when you discover the albums.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Circle II Circle (I started)
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »
Well, after a week of listening, I have to agree with your rankings wolfking.  Good stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Circle II Circle (I started)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 05:21:08 AM »
Well, after a week of listening, I have to agree with your rankings wolfking.  Good stuff.

Glad to hear, I'm glad I gave you accurate reviews.  Please keep listening and tell us your favourite tracks.