Poll

Of these movie soundtracks, which is the best (pick based on the soundtrack, not the movie)

Top Gun
6 (24%)
Iron Eagle
2 (8%)
The Karate Kid
4 (16%)
Rocky IV
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Samsara's 1980s Movie Soundtrack Poll  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Samsara's 1980s Movie Soundtrack Poll
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:50:32 PM »
Ok, so, which of these four movie soundtracks (the song compilations, not scores) do you like better? I was going to include Batman (1989), but that's all by Prince essentially, so it would be more like a Prince album, so it doesn't count.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Samsara's 1980s Movie Soundtrack Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
I would have has Fast Times At Ridgemoint High.  That soundtract rocked.

I like some somes of the sings on each as an individual.  but as albums, I was never big on soundtracts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
I know a lot of people would add more, but these are my favorites, so I wanted to see out of them, which one folks liked the best.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »
Of all the movies in that list I've only seen Top Gun.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
No transformers?

FAIL!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
I had to look up the track listings on those.  Couldn't remember what was on them (except for the obvious big radio hit from each).  Short breakdown:

Top Gun:
Sorry, Kenny Loggins fans, but Danger Zone doesn't really thrill me.  Not a bad song, but not a great one either.  It was really catchy, which is probably why it got so much radio/MTV play, but if I never heard it again, that'd be fine by me.  So this soundtrack really just boils down to the fact that it's got two really good songs by two really good '80s bands:  Berlin and Miami Sound Machine.  And that ain't bad.

Iron Eagle:
I looked, and I don't know a single one of these songs.  But I know a lot of the bands.  Queen.  Dio.  Helix.  What's not to like?

Karate Kid:
I had to read the track listing 3 times, and I'm still in disbelief that Cruel Summer isn't on there.  How on earth did that get left off?  What moron at the record label said, "yeah, Bananarama are okay, but these other songs are better than theirs?"  I'm eliminating this one from consideration just on principle.

Rocky IV:
Eye of the Tiger is a gimme.  Nobody in their right mind could honestly dislike that song.  And you've got James Brown (Living In America) as well.  This one is a solid contender (no pun intended).

The verdict:
Rocky IV.  Each of these only has a handful of songs that I really remember and like.  And sure, Iron Eagle has more metal on it.  But EOTT and LIA are great songs.  Unfortunately, I voted already and voted for Iron Eagle.  But as I was typing this, I talked myself out of it.  So imagine this poll with one less vote for Iron Eagle and one more for Rocky IV.

Oh, and I would have voted for Batman.  Love him or hate him, but Prince is a musical genius by any standard.  He was kind of hit and miss for me over the years, but the Batman soundtrack fired on all cylinders.  Great album.  I also would have picked Purple Rain over any of the above if that had been listed. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:35:47 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
Top Gun was an awesome soundtrack. My parents had that on vinyl! 'Danger Zone' is a pretty weak song, it's just the one most are familiar with. I think it even had a song by Cheap Trick on it. I do remember the last song was a cool instrumental with awesome guitar work (at least it were awesome when I was 12).

I can't speak for the others, but I thought 'Eye of the Tiger' was from Rocky III, not IV. 'Living in America' is a lame song, and while an amusing part of the film (seeing Drago look at everything going on with a WTF? look on his face), it goes on way too long.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High obviously had a great soundtrack, but those were all songs previously recorded.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Top Gun was an awesome soundtrack. My parents had that on vinyl! 'Danger Zone' is a pretty weak song, it's just the one most are familiar with. I think it even had a song by Cheap Trick on it. I do remember the last song was a cool instrumental with awesome guitar work (at least it were awesome when I was 12).

I can't speak for the others, but I thought 'Eye of the Tiger' was from Rocky III, not IV. 'Living in America' is a lame song, and while an amusing part of the film (seeing Drago look at everything going on with a WTF? look on his face), it goes on way too long.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High obviously had a great soundtrack, but those were all songs previously recorded.

How many songs though, are realy made for movies on an album.  A couple mabye?

How about Back To School with Oingo Boingo's Dead Mans Party!  BTW I voted for Rocky IV.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
Definately Rocky
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
I love the Top Gun soundtrack.  There's some cheese in there, but it helped to define the 80s.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:26 PM »
Of the ones listed, Rocky IV.

Write in vote, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.   

EXCELLENT!  *air guitar*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »
"Eye of the Tiger" was Rocky III, not IV.  But Rocky IV is still the easy winner here.

However, I swear, every time "Take My Breath Away" is played at a bar or club, the loud scream from the girls as soon as the song begins reminds me of the way girls used to scream for the Beatles way back in the day.  Women really love that song.

And I agree that Fast Times at Ridgemont High was the bee's knees...the movie AND the soundtrack! :tup :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Rocky IV is the winner here.  Some of the instrumental songs are almost progtastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:19:44 AM »
I'm actually not familiar with any of these solundtracks. Wasn't Queen on Iron Eagle..maybe Dio?

Sam, you need to lay your hands on the soundtracks for River's Edge (Fates warning, Slayer), Decline Of Western Civ Pt2, Dudes, and Shocker.
And even though it's early 90's..Last Action Hero had a great soundtrack.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 08:28:36 AM »
"Eye of the Tiger" was Rocky III, not IV.  But Rocky IV is still the easy winner here.

I know, but when I looked up the track listing on Amazon, it was on there, so it counts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
"Eye of the Tiger" was Rocky III, not IV.  But Rocky IV is still the easy winner here.

I know, but when I looked up the track listing on Amazon, it was on there, so it counts.

Burnning Heart was though and that's a very good song.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 08:25:17 AM »
Of these four, probably a tie between Rocky IV and Top Gun and if I was forced to pick one, Top Gun. But I am not sure any of them would rank in my top 10 of 80s movie soundtracks (Top Gun might sneek in), which is topped without a doubt by the soundtrack to Highlander. Queen did a masterful job with the music in that movie.

Ok, so, which of these four movie soundtracks (the song compilations, not scores) do you like better? I was going to include Batman (1989), but that's all by Prince essentially, so it would be more like a Prince album, so it doesn't count.

I could see your point if it was just a compilation of existing music with maybe one or two new songs from a single artist (i.e. the majority of AC/DC's Who Made Who, which doubles as the soundtrack to Maximum Overdrive). If it was all original music recorded specifically for the movie (as Queen's work on Highlander is), I don't see why you would leave Batman off the list...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »
I picked Top Gun.  Don't think I've seen Iron Eagle.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
This thread has a serious lack of love for Hearts on Fire. The keyboard solo is beyond epic.  :metal

Rocky IV

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Bloodsport
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
I picked The Karate Kid.  Back to the Future has a good soundtrack too, I think, no?  I'd have to look.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
The lack of Transformers the Movie in this list makes the results incorrect regardless.

Stan Bush owns. And I believe Vince di colla..or something like that worked on the Transformers st and the Rocky one.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.