Author Topic: Vlasto Day in the FAQ  (Read 8745 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
Vlasto Day in the FAQ
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
Icanhaz?
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Online ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
Re: Vlasto Day in the FAQ
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
No.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
Well that seemed to have resolved quickly.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Might you explain why?  It's obviously a problem here since most people don't know what it's about.  I know it's been explained, but if it was in the FAQ it would keep people from having to post the quote.  I thought that was the whole purpose of the FAQ....
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
I concur.  I've been here three years and still don't get it.
I am an SJW (Super Jewish Warrior)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
If I remember correctly, FAQ = frequently asked questions. I think "What is Vlasto day, and why do you celebrate it?" is a frequently asked question.
gone

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
  • SDN>SDV
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
If anyone has the DTFwiki saved, that might help matters.  I remember joining three years ago, finding the wiki, and reading up on a bunch of the inside jokes.  Its why I know how to celebrate Vlasto Day.

Btw, Happy Vlasto Day!

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
Well who knows if it has a meaning at all? Who knows if no one in DTF knows what it means, but we all just celebrate it because someone randomly started it?

"Mindcrime."
*goes hypnotized*
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
  • Cause you're in the danger zone
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Might you explain why?  It's obviously a problem here since most people don't know what it's about.  I know it's been explained, but if it was in the FAQ it would keep people from having to post the quote.  I thought that was the whole purpose of the FAQ....

No, the problem is that people don't know how to stay away from threads they don't understand, that they spam and troll when they don't like something. Although I'm for adding this to the FAQ there is no reason we have to, if you appreciate and know Vlasto day and why it's important, then celebrate it, if not just keep out of the threads and don't stir up shit.

Edit: In fact, all the shit stirring and spamming in the thread goes against the very principles of Vlasto Day.

Edit: Just to end this, and so the n00bs can finally get it, because being left out is *such* a crime, I will explain the origins and use of Vlasto Day.

Any and every day is Vlasto Day, it is the ever present holiday, and it is called upon to brighten dark days, break the silence, or simply to spread general good times and happy feelings. Vlasto Day is something we've had forever as far as I can remember, and that goes back to December of 2003. The reason why Vlasto Day started is unimportant, but what is important is when someone wants to celebrate Vlasto Day we meet it with good vibes and combined celebration, a coming together for the sake of coming together.

Hopefully now you and everyone else understands why Vlasto day dissenters and whiners are frowned upon.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »

No, the problem is that people don't know how to stay away from threads they don't understand, that they spam and troll when they don't like something. Although I'm for adding this to the FAQ there is no reason we have to, if you appreciate and know Vlasto day and why it's important, then celebrate it, if not just keep out of the threads and don't stir up shit.

Edit: In fact, all the shit stirring and spamming in the thread goes against the very principles of Vlasto Day.

Sounds like an apt addition to the forum definitions thread.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

Hey Nick (and any other mods/Bosk who may be reading this), this is kinda what a lot of people had a problem with. The unwillingness of anybody to explain what was going on, and instead constantly warning for spamming seems unfair. I didn't get it, and a lot of others didn't get it, yet when we asked why, we were treated as spammers.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how you must have felt, but don't you think it'd have been easier to explain it first before constantly warning us?

A lot of us thought that it was only celebrated when Vlasto posted. Thus some of us took the thread to be just another spam thread (considering Vlasto had not posted that day). So instead of actually explaining what happened, a few mods and Bosk himself decide to write us off as spammers. I left the thread, but I followed it. I was very disappointed as to how it played out, and I felt that it could have been handled a lot better

Sorry if this seems long-winded, but it's been bothering a lot of the members and we just didn't understand why the thread took the direction it did

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
I see what you're trying to say, but the bottom line is if you didn't get it you could have just stayed out of it. It's that simple, there was no reason you had to continue to egg us on and on. We could have chosen to explain it, but there was no reason we should have had to.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »
So there's no private forum because to avoid creating a 'clique' feeling among the board, but then you refuse to properly explain a forum tradition to newer members and proceed to warn members who protested it because they misunderstood that tradition... makes total sense.  :-\

the bottom line is if you didn't get it you could have just stayed out of it.

The problem wasn't that people had no idea what was going on, the problem is that they had the wrong idea of what was going on and acted on that, and then no one took the time to actually explain it in any detail.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »
So there's no private forum because to avoid creating a 'clique' feeling among the board, but then you refuse to properly explain a forum tradition to newer members and proceed to warn members who protested it because they misunderstood that tradition... makes total sense.  :-\

the bottom line is if you didn't get it you could have just stayed out of it.

The problem wasn't that people had no idea what was going on, the problem is that they had the wrong idea of what was going on and acted on that, and then no one took the time to actually explain it in any detail.

Precisely.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

http://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Nick

• Call Kenny Loggins
  • Global Moderator
    • My Radio Show!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:40 PM »
There is a definition between clique and tradition.

And people weren't warned because they didn't understand it, they were told exactly what not to do, and then they proceeded to do it. Agree with the decision or not I hope you can appreciate that was not the greatest move on their part.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
You guys never had that young cousin that tried to hang out with you and the older lot? You had your inside jokes, you had fun when it was only you and the gang. You even started laughing at a new and now recurrent inside joke of yours. Inevitably, this joke was told in front of your family who asked "what's so funny?" -"nothing" you would reply, "it's an inside joke", your family would smile and roll their eyes, letting it slide, and carrying on with the evening. The problem was that your young cousin would get irritable because he wanted to know what this inside joke was. He started asking "what's the joke, what's so funny?" You didn't want to tell him because he wasn't part of the joke. Not satisfied by this, the fucking young cousin kept insisting you and your cousins for an explanation. You began to get annoyed and tried to ignore him. He started nagging at your aunts & uncles, your parents and grand parents, demanding you and your cousins to explain the joke to him so he could feel part of the group. You alleged that it was just a joke between you and your cousins and that he doesn't need to know. He should ignore something he is not a part of. But he kept insisting and insisting. He nagged for so long that he finally ruined the joke.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »
Agree with the decision or not I hope you can appreciate that was not the greatest move on their part.

I can completely understand that.

It just seems nonsensical to me to not take the minute or two to explain something to people who didn't get it and instead say 'if you don't get it stay out'. There's a difference between a clique and a tradition, but when you refuse to 'let in' newcomers on said tradition you're building some very discernable walls between various member groups.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
I see what you're trying to say, but the bottom line is if you didn't get it you could have just stayed out of it. It's that simple, there was no reason you had to continue to egg us on and on. We could have chosen to explain it, but there was no reason we should have had to.

To clarify, I left the thread on page 2 after it became apparent I wasn't getting anywhere.

Agree with the decision or not I hope you can appreciate that was not the greatest move on their part.

I can completely understand that.

It just seems nonsensical to me to not take the minute or two to explain something to people who didn't get it and instead say 'if you don't get it stay out'. There's a difference between a clique and a tradition, but when you refuse to 'let in' newcomers on said tradition you're building some very discernable walls between various member groups.

I agree with Sigz. It seemed like you were just saying: "lol its just for us old DTFers, you wouldn't understand", and dismissed the rest of us who weren't around when Vlasto day was started

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »

People didn't refuse to explain it.  Hef explained it.  The people who were getting in trouble were the people who were posting "happy not Vlasto day" and "Vlasto sux lololol" and such.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »
You guys never had that young cousin that tried to hang out with you and the older lot? You had your inside jokes, you had fun when it was only you and the gang. You even started laughing at a new and now recurrent inside joke of yours. Inevitably, this joke was told in front of your family who asked "what's so funny?" -"nothing" you would reply, "it's an inside joke", your family would smile and roll their eyes, letting it slide, and carrying on with the evening. The problem was that your young cousin would get irritable because he wanted to know what this inside joke was. He started asking "what's the joke, what's so funny?" You didn't want to tell him because he wasn't part of the joke. Not satisfied by this, the fucking young cousin kept insisting you and your cousins for an explanation. You began to get annoyed and tried to ignore him. He started nagging at your aunts & uncles, your parents and grand parents, demanding you and your cousins to explain the joke to him so he could feel part of the group. You alleged that it was just a joke between you and your cousins and that he doesn't need to know. He should ignore something he is not a part of. But he kept insisting and insisting. He nagged for so long that he finally ruined the joke.

First off, this analogy was pretty spot on

Wasn't really the greatest move from a few people, and I don't mean Zook
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

http://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:18:45 PM »
If anyone has the DTFwiki saved, that might help matters.  I remember joining three years ago, finding the wiki, and reading up on a bunch of the inside jokes.  Its why I know how to celebrate Vlasto Day.

Btw, Happy Vlasto Day!

Where is this DTFwiki? Icanhaz?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »

Are those the sorts of relationships we want to create on DTF?  That sounds like an example of exclusivity; I'm fairly certain the whole point of this forum (and any forum, for that matter), is to build community, to encourage inclusivity.  It really bothers me actually that exclusive groups would not only be formed but fervently defended like this.  There shouldn't be that young cousin I agree, but there shouldn't be that "you and the gang" either; if there is, we should all be the gang.  We're all here in this forum together, so why should we start getting divisive?

Offline yeshaberto

• P/R Mod
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
happy vlasto day to all

Online ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
What bosk said. Hef explained it fairly early in the thread, in pretty much the same words as Nick did in this thread. He even quoted himself because people carried on questioning it. If you demand explanations and then ignore them anyway, that's entirely your own fault. :P

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
    • My blag
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 02:44:54 AM »
We have a FAQ?

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
    • My blag
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
oops, found it.

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 02:50:50 AM »
We have a FAQ?
:rollin
at this post after the whole discussion.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »
What bosk said. Hef explained it fairly early in the thread, in pretty much the same words as Nick did in this thread. He even quoted himself because people carried on questioning it. If you demand explanations and then ignore them anyway, that's entirely your own fault. :P

Is this the explanation you were referring to?

It is a day of celebration among the DT internet community.  Its rich history dates back years and years (at least 4 or 5, anyway).  It is a way of celebrating life, and our wonderful community.  Vlasto Day is always a joyous occasion.  It is celebrated any day in which someone remembers to celebrate it.

'Cause I gotta be honest, this was neither early in the thread nor helpful.  He said a lot without actually saying anything.  What we non-Vlasto people are looking to know are simple things, really: what is it about?  Why do we celebrate Vlasto Day?  How did it come about?

These are really simple things we're asking.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 06:53:40 AM »
It is a day of celebration among the DT internet community.  Its rich history dates back years and years (at least 4 or 5, anyway).  It is a way of celebrating life, and our wonderful community.  Vlasto Day is always a joyous occasion.  It is celebrated any day in which someone remembers to celebrate it.

'Cause I gotta be honest, this was neither early in the thread nor helpful.  He said a lot without actually saying anything.  What we non-Vlasto people are looking to know are simple things, really: what is it about?  Why do we celebrate Vlasto Day?  How did it come about?

Except that nobody asked those questions.  If you needed further clarification, you could have asked those questions in the thread.  Nobody would have fussed if you did.  I already posted above what the problem was, and asking questions was not it.  While I appreciate emindead's attempt to draw a useful analogy, his post misses the point as well.  It's not about one group knowing and another not knowing.  If you want to know, ask the question.  If you don't understand the answer, ask a follow up question.  Do not simply decide you don't like the answer and derail/spam/troll the thread.  That goes for any thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »
It is a day of celebration among the DT internet community.  Its rich history dates back years and years (at least 4 or 5, anyway).  It is a way of celebrating life, and our wonderful community.  Vlasto Day is always a joyous occasion.  It is celebrated any day in which someone remembers to celebrate it.

'Cause I gotta be honest, this was neither early in the thread nor helpful.  He said a lot without actually saying anything.  What we non-Vlasto people are looking to know are simple things, really: what is it about?  Why do we celebrate Vlasto Day?  How did it come about?

Except that nobody asked those questions.  If you needed further clarification, you could have asked those questions in the thread.  Nobody would have fussed if you did.  I already posted above what the problem was, and asking questions was not it.  While I appreciate emindead's attempt to draw a useful analogy, his post misses the point as well.  It's not about one group knowing and another not knowing.  If you want to know, ask the question.  If you don't understand the answer, ask a follow up question.  Do not simply decide you don't like the answer and derail/spam/troll the thread.  That goes for any thread.

1. I did ask those questions.
2. I never trolled the Vlasto Day thread.
3. So now that I have asked those questions, how about an official place where those answers can be found?  It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to incorporate those answers into the DTF FAQ.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 07:06:19 AM »
Plenty of people have asked those questions in God knows how many Vlasto threads but never got an answer.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 07:10:58 AM »
1. I did ask those questions.

As far as I saw, everyone who asked a question got it answered.  If yours were missed, you are partly owed and apology by whoever you directed it to who didn't answer, and partly owed an apology by those whose spamming and trolling likely created such a distraction that your question was missed.

2. I never trolled the Vlasto Day thread.

I didn't say you specifically did.

3. So now that I have asked those questions, how about an official place where those answers can be found?  It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to incorporate those answers into the DTF FAQ.

Okay.  I don't think anyone is against the idea.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:17:49 AM by bösk1 »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
Thanks.  And my apologies for being so blunt.  I'm pretty sure the Vlasto Day thread was frustrating for every side, including the spammers.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
I looked through the thread again and Hef gave an explanation on page 4.

So yeah it was answered, but it could have been answered earlier, especially on page 2 or 3 when Hef says that Vlasto haters "should just stay the fuck out of Vlasto Day threads"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
    • Hopped on Pop
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:52 AM »
I looked through the thread again and Hef gave an explanation on page 4.

So yeah it was answered, but it could have been answered earlier, especially on page 2 or 3 when Hef says that Vlasto haters "should just stay the fuck out of Vlasto Day threads"

See my quote of it a few posts up. :P