Author Topic: Why do bands always sound terrible on the Late Night shows?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Why do bands always sound terrible on the Late Night shows?
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
Like Jimmy Fallon, Leno, Letterman, and SNL. Every band, no matter how good they normally are, sounds like shit. Do their producers just have no idea how to get a good sound? Or do they just not care?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:33:24 AM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Why do bands always sound terrible on the Late Night shows?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »
I remember watching Mastodon on one of those shows, and they sounded shit. Saw them live in person not long after, and they sounded incredible.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
I remember Megadeth sounding terrible on Jimmy Fallon, and Anvil sounding incredibly amateur on Conan O'Brien. That's a good point there, Sigz, but I don't know the answer.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:04:47 AM »
There's probably a significant difference in the acoustics in a tv studio compared to a music venue.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:18:50 AM »
And actually I feel like the more "radio friendly" acts don't have such a hard time.  I saw Barenaked Ladies on either SNL or MadTV (I can't remember, it was many, many years ago), my first ever exposure to Barenaked Ladies, a live performance no less.  They sounded great. :hat
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:30:18 AM »
And actually I feel like the more "radio friendly" acts don't have such a hard time.

Many of them mime though.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:06 AM »
I imagine it's because they have to do a quick job eqing the band and setting everything up, it's a very different venue from what they play.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:26:46 AM »
I don't agree or disagree with this statement.  I've seen some great sounding songs on talk shows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:45 AM »
I think it's because there is next to nothing when it comes to sound check, which is incredibly important. The stage they play on is often set-up after the host no longer intends to use it, so they just have to roll the equipment out there and get it set-up in time before the commercials end.

But vocally Mastodon is terribly live.....*runs and hides*

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
I think it's because there is next to nothing when it comes to sound check, which is incredibly important. The stage they play on is often set-up after the host no longer intends to use it, so they just have to roll the equipment out there and get it set-up in time before the commercials end.

Strange coincidence that this thread inspired me to check out their performance of Oblivion on Letterman. They've certainly done a passable job at the very least considering that all 4 band members sing at various points in their songs and usually over odd rhythms and also there's the fact that their original singer left before Remission their debut EP, Lifesblood, even came out and they mentioned in the Workhorse Chronicles DVD that they more or less patched a broken pipe with used bubble gum by simply taking on vocals primarily by Brent and Troy and foregoing the option of getting a true vocalist.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:41:37 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
Blink 182's performance of "Down" on one of those late night shows is what turned me off of them.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Strange coincidence that this thread inspired me to check out their performance of Oblivion on Letterman. They've certainly done a passable job at the very least considering that all 4 band members sing at various points in their songs and usually over odd rhythms and also there's the fact that their original singer left before Remission even came out and they mentioned in the Workhorse Chronicles DVD that they more or less patched a broken pipe with used bubble gum by simply taking on vocals primarily by Brent and Troy and foregoing the option of getting a true vocalist.

I didn't know they had a singer, but I don't listen to Remission very often so that's probably why. Either way, everything they've written past that point has been covered by their vocals, the problem lies with their bass player as far as I can tell. Getting a true vocalist would be nice, but hopefully one that's more Blood Mountain/Crack the Skye-esque than one who would sing Remission type music.

Offline SinisterMinisterX

• Grand Poobah of Small Miscellaneous Objects
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
I imagine it's because they have to do a quick job eqing the band and setting everything up, it's a very different venue from what they play.

An exception to this is SNL, which starts setting up the musical guest and soundchecking on Thursday. So they have no excuse... but you're right for all the others, I think.

While the sound is often iffy, I've seen a lot of superb performances on Letterman's show.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Strange coincidence that this thread inspired me to check out their performance of Oblivion on Letterman. They've certainly done a passable job at the very least considering that all 4 band members sing at various points in their songs and usually over odd rhythms and also there's the fact that their original singer left before Remission even came out and they mentioned in the Workhorse Chronicles DVD that they more or less patched a broken pipe with used bubble gum by simply taking on vocals primarily by Brent and Troy and foregoing the option of getting a true vocalist.

I didn't know they had a singer, but I don't listen to Remission very often so that's probably why. Either way, everything they've written past that point has been covered by their vocals, the problem lies with their bass player as far as I can tell. Getting a true vocalist would be nice, but hopefully one that's more Blood Mountain/Crack the Skye-esque than one who would sing Remission type music.

My bad. Although they did have a singer he departed even before their debut EP, Lifesblood, was released so there is only the few and far between live clip of VERY early Mastodon material to see him on. I'll edit some links into this very post once I find them.

EDIT: Wowsers! Didn't expect to find it this quickly and what a setlist(the entire Lifesblood EP I think.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-Cjd6d_d4
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:51:55 PM by black_floyd »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »

Strange coincidence that this thread inspired me to check out their performance of Oblivion on Letterman. They've certainly done a passable job at the very least considering that all 4 band members sing at various points in their songs and usually over odd rhythms and also there's the fact that their original singer left before Remission their debut EP, Lifesblood, even came out and they mentioned in the Workhorse Chronicles DVD that they more or less patched a broken pipe with used bubble gum by simply taking on vocals primarily by Brent and Troy and foregoing the option of getting a true vocalist.

That's a great DVD.  A lot of rare footage.  Could have used some more pro shot footage though.  Would have liked the inclusion on the contamination festival performance.  Although the performance of Mother Puncher on the DVD kills.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »

I love Troy's vocals myself.  I'll take him over Brent anyday.  I have gotten a bit more dissapointed every album because they are steering away from the Remission/Leviathan type thing.  Leviathan had a good balance of vocals between Brent and Troy, now there are too much from Brent IMO.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 07:23:05 PM »
I love Troy's vocals myself.  I'll take him over Brent anyday.  I have gotten a bit more dissapointed every album because they are steering away from the Remission/Leviathan type thing.  Leviathan had a good balance of vocals between Brent and Troy, now there are too much from Brent IMO.

I think he's kind of emerging as the front man but it just happened to take five albums for it to happen. I like Troy as well but lean a tad toward Brent overall since he's not noticeably any worse than colonel Sanders on the stoner-rock clean vocals(Josh Homme-core) and a good bit better than him at heavy shouts and roars.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »

I think he's kind of emerging as the front man but it just happened to take five albums for it to happen. I like Troy as well but lean a tad toward Brent overall since he's not noticeably any worse than colonel Sanders on the stoner-rock clean vocals(Josh Homme-core) and a good bit better than him at heavy shouts and roars.

Nevertheless, they make a great team.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »

EDIT: Wowsers! Didn't expect to find it this quickly and what a setlist(the entire Lifesblood EP I think.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-Cjd6d_d4

The whole Lifesblood EP  :hefdaddy

I'm off now, but I will be watching this whole thing later!!