Author Topic: Frost* news  (Read 4319 times)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Frost* news
« on: April 30, 2010, 06:22:07 AM »
Posted by Jem today:

So summer’s nearly here! What better time then to start getting ready for Christmas! Yes, the smell of mulled wine wafting round the house as carols softly soothe us into another couple of mince pies while we wrap the presents in preparation for the big day is all I can think of right now... Peace on Earth.

And you’ll be needing a bit of peace and quiet to be honest as you’ll no doubt still be recovering from the Frost* Christmas Extravaganza, this year taking not place not once, but thrice! We’re out for 3 dates starting at the Islington Academy 2 in London on Friday December 3rd, the Manchester Academy 3 on Saturday 4th December and rounding off at The Robin In Bilston on Sunday December 5th. Playing a bunch of new Frost tracks as well as all the old stuff that makes my fingers bleed. Support for all 3 dates will be the freshly resurgent Ark (now with added Jowitt) back with a new album and tour after a 35 year layoff. It promises to be 3 nights of relentless fun and revelry with as much improper behaviour as we can get away with before the Rozzers get involved.

You owe it to your liver and certainly your finely tuned ears to join us in kicking off the festive season in proper style.

But wait, there’s more…stepping back in time to Friday October 8th 2010, Messers Godfrey and Mitchell will be headlining the opening night of Summer’s End in Lydney under the esoteric guise of “Defence Of The Realm with 3 J’s and a P”.

Continuing on from last year’s critically acclaimed “Esoteric Evening with 2 J’s and an A” gigs, but this time in proper loud, proud, amped up and ready to go full band mode. We’ll be playing many songs from the Frost* and Kino vault with possibly some other choice wee nuggets in there too. This is going to be a f****** belter of a gig as my old gran used to say, bless ‘er. You’d be literally certifiably melted in the brains places to miss it.

Support will be Unto Us who I’m looking forward to seeing for the first time and the much needed Tinyfish who need no introduction here.

But wait! There’s more. Yes more! Today finally sees the opening of the Frost* shoppe for pre-orders of The Philadelphia Experiment - a triple disc package recorded live at the Rites Of Spring Festival held at the Keswick theatre in Philadelphia, USA last year containing nearly TWO hours of music including Milliontown, Falling Down, Hyperventilate, The Other Me, Black Light Machine, Snowman and “The Dividing Line” Frost*’s brand new 17 minute studio track recorded specially for The Dividing Line Broadcast Network’s 10 Anniversary last month. In addition there is a 42 minute DVD documentary that goes behind the scenes in the run up to the gig plus out takes and a 5.1 surround mix of The Dividing Line.

But wait! There’s more. The first 500 pre orders will also receive a free FrostFest T-Shirt with each album.

And all this for £15 excl P+P. Even my accountant thinks that’s a good deal. And he’s a scary Geordie.

The shop will start taking orders at 5pm AND NOT A MOMENT BEFORE so please don’t order until then. Your order could get lost before 5pm.

The album will ship on June 1st 2010. Tell everybody you’ve ever met including those who you’ve not met yet either. And animals, tell lots of animals. Animals love Frost*.
So get shopping!

Merry Christmas chums. Jx

PS. Just to say again, no orders before 5pm today please. The shop will go off in a huff and it takes ages to coax it back out of the pub.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Letter M

Re: Frost* news
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
Damnit... I was just going through the Pre-Order process when I finished reading the update... no orders before 5pm. Is that UK time? If so, what time is it there right now? That is, if he even means 5pm there. What if he means 5pm US EST?! I'm so confused!

EDIT - I went ahead and ordered anyway, and it went through! And actually it seems I was one of the first 20 people to place a pre-order already, and if you look at the bottom of the pre-order page, it'll say how many is left out of the 500, and I'm pretty sure mine was no. 480 or 481 because when I went back to look at the page, it said 479 were left... and now it says 478, so people are pre-ordering.

I'm very excited at getting a live Frost album! And of course, a physical copy of "The Dividing Line".

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:59:13 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
Now it's down to 464 units left... if you're going to pre-order, I would do it in the next couple hours! It may be gone by 5pm US EST! Better safe than sorry... I mean, for about $31 USD, you get the 3-Disc set AND a T-shirt! It's practically a steal!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
Pretty sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »
Exciting news! I was reading through it wondering whether there was going to be any news about the live album, and then it appeared. YAY! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
I was hoping for a live DVD, to be honest...
But of course I ordered, though I'm already owning the live EP from the gig - and the shirt. Gotta love Frost*!  :tup

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
Ordered - I got #239

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
Well about 15 hours after my initial post, the count of units left went from being 478 to currently being 274. They sold nearly half in the first day, so come Sunday, I'm sure they'll be down to the last 50 or so, once word spreads about the pre-order.

Can't wait to get mine! Only about 5 weeks til it ships at the beginning of June! Between this and PT's Anesthetize, it'll be a great month for new live releases!

-Marc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »
Yeah I ordered mine as well, didn't check what number it was but it was within the batch of 500. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline veronica

• Bosk-approved weird aunt
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Something must be done about this girl at once!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 04:46:14 AM »
Husband ordered it (order no 20!) so I guess he'll be the one wearing the t-shirt. Drat :P

Honorary Junior Old Fogey
I have a dual-citizenageinternetgroupship.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
FYI, I don't think your order number corresponds to what number out of 500 you ordered. I only think this because when I ordered, my order number was 37 and when I checked the page, only 20-21 units were pre-ordered, and I doubt there's that much of a lag on orders-to-units represented on the page. The store had other items for sale before this pre-order so I'm sure there were other orders before this, but you can bet that every order SINCE the pre-order was put up has been for the pre-order itself!

-Marc.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
I was within the first 500, so that's all I really care about.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
I wasn't huge on the first Frost* album so I didn't bother with the newest one, but I respect a band that gives their fans a good deal, so for $31 for 3 discs AND a shirt I am more than happy to give the tracks from the new album a chance in a live setting.

Hope I enjoy this. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
I wasn't huge on the first Frost* album so I didn't bother with the newest one,
Dammit Nickfail!

But yeah, I hope you enjoy it as well!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »
IT ARE ARRIVED! :D

It's such a good live album, I already have half the tracks from the tour CD they were selling when supporting DT, but the rest are fab as well. And the bonus track of The Diving Line is amazing, such a great addition to Frost's repertoire.

And the t-shirt is rather snazzy too. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm wearing mine now. Beautiful, it is. :hat

I really like the new version of Snowman. And of The Other Me, actually, although I heard that when they supported DT.

And, of course, Story Time is essentially brilliant.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
I just hope mine crosses the pond and gets here before I leave on vacation.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
Ahahaha so am I! We're like telepathic t-shirt buddies, or something. :hat

:lol It is indeed awesome, and I LOVE the intro song. Just sheer genius.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
Ahahaha so am I! We're like psychic t-shirt buddies, or something. :hat
[/quote]If yours is a medium too, we may have just entered the Twilight Zone.

:lol It is indeed awesome, and I LOVE the intro song. Just sheer genius.
"Our name is Frost*! How do you do? We're here today, to play for yoooooou!"

Have you watched any of the DVD yet? The Frost reports are always grand; it's an exciting day when planetfrost uploads a video. I get namechecked in one of them, actually, followed by a minute of footage of him talking to me on the phone. I may have mentioned this. That one's not on TPE, though. Gutted. D:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
Oh lord, mine is indeed a medium. That's just scary.

Not watched the DVD yet, was playing football after work so only really had time to listen to the CDs. I'll check it out at the weekend though!

I get namechecked in one of them, actually, followed by a minute of footage of him talking to me on the phone. I may have mentioned this. That one's not on TPE, though. Gutted. D:
That's awesome! Any way I can see it?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
Oh lord, mine is indeed a medium. That's just scary.

I feel a strange closeness, right now.

I get namechecked in one of them, actually, followed by a minute of footage of him talking to me on the phone. I may have mentioned this. That one's not on TPE, though. Gutted. D:
That's awesome! Any way I can see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ti_F8v5zE4

Thurr we go! I'm mentioned about three minutes in, I think.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
https://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243/ariich/forum%20stuff/Picture2.jpg
https://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3426/photo274n.jpg
I feel a strange closeness, right now.
I want to hug you.

By the way, I went into RYM to rate the album, and saw that you and I are two of only three people to have rated it. So I decided to add you as a friend. :D

And holy crap, of the 129 albums that we have both rated in common, 106 of them we agree to within a star. You have awesome taste. :hat

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Not only that - just had a look and 72 of that 106 are to within half a star! That's mental.

My collection is, however, tiny in comparison. D: God I need to get more CDs down me.

Although, admittedly, some of those ratings should probably have changed since I first got the albums. I'm not very good at maintaining that bugger.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Your collection is perfectly acceptable! Only 330 or so of my ratings are albums that I actually own, the rest are all albums I have in mp3, have borrowed of friends/brother, or have heard on spotify. And besides, I have a good 5 years on you; plenty of time to catch up! :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
Ok so I've decided that The Dividing Line is probably Frost's best song. Just, so completely epic and wonderful. The "YOU ARE ALL LIARS" bit at the end of the motivational speaking gives me goosebumps every time!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »
It's grand, isn't it.  One of my favourite things about TPE.

Actually, no. My favourite thing about it is that I'm constantly forgetting the tracklisting.

"This is our last song." "BOOOOO!" "And before we play Milliontown." "WAHEY." "See, bit of good cop bad cop."

And then it finishes after thirty long minutes. And I hear the crowd die down, and I have that stunning moment when I catch myself and remember "Ahh, but this isn't the real end, we've got one of the best performances of the night, yet." And then The Other Me starts and everything is good.

When The Other Me finally finishes, I heave a deep sigh and think "Well, that's that over. What a ride. This really is a stunning live--"

But I don't get to finish that thought, because that's where I get interrupted by the first bellowing note of The Dividing Line. Spectacular.

Incidentally, my ticket to Summer's End came today! I'm going just for Jem Godfrey. Got no idea how I'm getting there, let alone back, and I'm going alone. I don't usually go to gigs alone as I'm a bit of a social animal, but I don't think I know anyone who'd care about seeing Jem live as much as I do, and I know I'll have a good time regardless if Frost* are there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
So, is there somewhere online you can buy "The Dividing Line" as a single song?  I looked on iTunes, but didn't see it.  I almost never buy live CDs anymore (since I never listen to them after the first week, except for select tracks from certain live albums), and I am not buying this one just for one song. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »
Can't say I know of anywhere, to be honest. I think part of putting it on the live album was to 1) make it more special, and 2) persuade more people to buy it. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline j

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
So, is there somewhere online you can buy "The Dividing Line" as a single song?  I looked on iTunes, but didn't see it.  I almost never buy live CDs anymore (since I never listen to them after the first week, except for select tracks from certain live albums), and I am not buying this one just for one song. 

Took the words outta my mouth Kev.

-J

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
I've never had the opportunity to see Frost* live, so I was greatly relieved when I put the CD and it blew mah mind. Of course, TDL is a fantastic song.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
That's pretty lame.  It reminds me of when bands used to release greatest hits records, but with one or two new songs, making the diehards buy a CD filled with mostly songs they had already, just to get a new song or two.  This is pretty much the same thing. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline robwebster

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 06:13:09 AM »
FWIW, it's a very good live CD, at a really competitive price. In the end I paid £15 (about $10?) for two CDs, a DVD and a t-shirt... that's pretty stellar. And as far as I'm aware, the song was up on The Dividing Line's website for free for a while.

https://www.thedividingline.com/archives.html

It might be tapped onto the end of the Jem Godfrey interview. You could AudioHijack that right out. If it's there. I haven't checked.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 06:50:41 AM »
Oh! Additionally...

Quote from: Jem Godfrey's blog
In other news, we now have a Band Camp site. There’s bugger all to see there at the moment, but in the coming few weeks, I’ll be uploading The Dividing Line and tracks from The Philadelphia Experiment along with other items of sonic interest. This will be the main portal of digital delivery for us and I’ll be looking to stock it with new and interesting things as time allows. I know there have been quite a few requests to buy Milliontown from our shoppe, but the price Inside Out want to charge me per disc is absolutely mental and counter productive. I’d actually end up making about a £2 loss on each sale!! I get the rights to Milliontown back in 2013, so after that all will be well. Until then however…

So... just wait!

It's not so much that they did it to make us buy a CD full of songs we have already. (And most diehards would consider it to be a fairly hefty difference between "songs we already have" and "a live CD.") It's more just 'cause he wanted TPE to be that phenomenally good.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »
FWIW, it's a very good live CD, at a really competitive price. In the end I paid £15 (about $10?) for two CDs, a DVD and a t-shirt...

Actually, after adding in shipping it was about $30 for me (the £ is worth more than $US) - and I'm sure he wouldn't be able to get the shirt now anyway.  Since we're posting ourselves with the Frosterik shirt, here is my ugly mug wearing it posing with Don Jamieson.