Author Topic: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 48019 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »
Global, you know this is Nick we're talking about, right?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:36 AM »
Yeah, I was aware of the Arena / Pendragon connection.  Immortal isn't the place to start with Arena, The Visitor is a top 20 album of all time, it's that amazing, and Contagion is pretty close to it; and I can see some people liking Contagion a little more because the production is better, the story is a little easier to follow, and the tone is more aggressive than The Visitor.  If you don't like those albums, I'm going to have to quit defending your choices.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
I started this morning but didn't have much time before work, so now I'm going to go and look into those numbering errors and fix them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Yeah, I was aware of the Arena / Pendragon connection.  Immortal isn't the place to start with Arena, The Visitor is a top 20 album of all time, it's that amazing, and Contagion is pretty close to it; and I can see some people liking Contagion a little more because the production is better, the story is a little easier to follow, and the tone is more aggressive than The Visitor.  If you don't like those albums, I'm going to have to quit defending your choices.

If I see one of those albums cheap at some point I'll give them another shot.

I started this morning but didn't have much time before work, so now I'm going to go and look into those numbering errors and fix them.

This is done now, sorry for the errors.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:22 PM »
Global, you know this is Nick we're talking about, right?

Haha, yeah I know.

This is done now, sorry for the errors.

No worries, mate. It don't care about the errors themselves, I'm just surprised that no one else noticed.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:38 AM »
14. Neal Morse
Paraphrasing Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse is, simply put, one of the greatest song-writers of our day. He is a man that can write songs that force you to sing along due to vocal melodies that are nothing short of stunning. If you are a Spock's Beard or Transatlantic fan you absolutely MUST check out Neal's solo records. I will say more than any other project, this is the one where Portnoy comes in and plays simply what is needed to suit strong song-writing and it comes across great in the final product. On top of all that the man is certainly prolific and you can constantly look for more output from him.

Favorite Albums: ?, One

Favorite Songs: Living Out Loud, Nowhere Fast, California Nights, Ready to Try, Sing it High, The Man's Gone, The Creation, Cradle to the Grave, Reunion, ?, Lifeline, Children of the Chosen, So Many Roads

13. Symphony X
One of the best live club shows you'll ever see. It's that simple, and the biggest piece in that puzzle is Russell Allen. The man is the greatest live vocalist around today. Not only does he bring a massive stage presence, but his vocals live are powerful and accurate, allowing him to totally own the stage and the show. Although Symphony X has a lot of great material, I still can't say I feel they have that crucial 10/10 album, and a lot of their material can be a bit samey after awhile. That's actually the reason Paradise Lost might be my favorite Symphony X album, although I wish there were more keyboards on it I can generally remember songs from it better because for whatever reason they seem to have a bit more staying power and individuality somehow.

Favorite Albums: V, Paradise Lost, The Odyssey

Favorite Songs: Masquerade, Of Sins and Shadows, The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, Smoke and Mirrors, Church of the Machine, Through the Looking Glass, Evolution, Communion and the Oracle, Inferno, The Odyssey, Set the World on Fire, Domination, Serpent's Kiss, Paradise Lost

12. Royal Hunt
Probably the most underrated band in all of prog-metal. Royal Hunt put out their first studio album in 1992 and have since put out a total of 10 albums. They have done multiple albums with some of the best vocalists in the business, D.C. Cooper, John West, and Mark Boals, and yet they remain a practically unknown entity. Anyone who enjoys good keyboard work laced with fancy guitar interplay and a steady rhythm section needs to check this band out immediately, if not sooner. They have produced one of my favorite albums of all time, they have a few interesting and different early albums, and in general have produced solid material throughout their career, Eyewitness aside.

Favorite Albums: Paradox, The Mission, Collision Course: Paradox II, Paper Blood

Favorite Songs: Land of Broken Hearts, Martial Arts, Kingdom Dark, Wasted Time, Clown in the Mirror, Epilogue, Last Goodbye, 1348, Makin' a Mess, River of Pain, Message to God, Long Way Home, Time Will Tell, Cold City Lights, follow Me, The Mission, Surrender, World Wide War, Total Recall, Edge of the World, Break Your Chains, Paper Blood, The First Rock, The Clan, Hostile Breed, Back to Square One

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »

SYMPHONY X :metal :metal :metal :metal
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »
Moving Target > Paradox II and Paper Blood

Dammitnick!

Nick did get one thing right (even thought he forgot to name it explictly), Paradox is in the top 2% of my music collection, it is ESSENTIAL listening to this day.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »
I thought for sure that SX would be in the top ten

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »

Dammitnick!

It's just nice to have another person on here who actually knows all those albums.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
The only three RH albums I know are Paradox I and II and Paper Blood. All three are great though.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
Symphony X really are a joy live.  I would say they are the ultimate live power/prog/symphonic metal band out there.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
I could've sworn you'd put Royal Hunt in the top 5.  I thought they were one of your favorites ever.

*insert "nick you fail" for SymphX here*

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
I'd say Royal Hunt and Symphony X are both some of my all time favorites, I just have a lot of all time favorites. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2010, 05:12:51 AM »

Dammitnick!

It's just nice to have another person on here who actually knows all those albums.

At least you didn't include Eyewitness...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
I even said in my description that that is their one non-respectable release. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »
Missed that.  I tend to gloss over the descriptions of bands I'm already familiar with.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2010, 05:26:36 PM »
11. Queensryche
How much higher these guys could be... I am a rare breed of Queensryche fans it seems, in that I can generally enjoy the albums since DeGarmo's departure, but I will surely admit they are nothing compared to the absolute excellence that was everything they did with him in the band, excluding the craptastic Hear in the Now Frontier. The EP and following 5 albums are all classics in their own way and very few bands have ever matched putting out so many great albums in a row. Seeing them live is always a great show, and generally they do a good job of switching up sets between tours. I'd say Stone was definitely the low water mark of the band, as his style, writing, look and tone all clashed with classic Queensryche. The new kid shows promise in a lot of areas, and although I don't expect Queensryche to ever reclaim a fraction of their former glory I do hope they will continue to be able to put together decent tours.

Favorite Albums: Operation: Mindcrime, Rage For Order, Promised Land

Favorite Songs: Queen of the Reich, Nightrider, Prophecy, Take Hold of the Flame, N M 156, Walk in the Shadows, I Dream in Infrared, Chemical Youth, Suite Sister Mary, Breaking the Silence, I Don't Believe in Love, Eyes of a Stranger, Bridge, Promised Land, My Global Mind, Someone Else, Best I Can, Resistance, Hand on Heart, Anybody Listening, Sign of the Times, Liquid Sky, Burning Man, Open, The Great Divide, Hostage, The Hands, Signs Say Go, The Chase, Unafraid, Home Again

10. Pink Floyd
I guess I could be considered a bit of an odd Floyd fan, although I love their two classics I can say I prefer Animals to The Wall and The Division Bell to Dark Side. I'm not much of a fan of their work pre-Meddle, but that leaves plenty to love, including the under-appreciated Final Cut. For those who care, I side with Gilmour in the never ending debate with/about Waters, and I would definitely rather see David live these days instead of Roger.

Favorite Albums: Animals, The Division Bell, Wish You Were Here

Favorite Songs: Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, One of These Days, Fearless, Echoes, Speak to Me/Breathe, Us and Them, Brain Damage/Eclipse, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One), Welcome to the Machine, Wish You Were Here, Pigs, Dogs, Sheep, In the Flesh, Another Brick in the Wall (All Parts), Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Your Possible Pasts, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, What Do You Want From Me, A Great Day for Freedom, Wearing the Inside Out, Take it Back, Coming Back to Life, High Hopes
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:05:22 AM by Nick »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
For those who care, I side with Gilmour in the never ending debate with/about Waters, and I would definitely rather see David live these days instead of Roger.
The thing is that Roger's pulling the big shows on a WORLDWIDE scale. Fans know that he was the mastermind behind their best albums. Gilmour was THE GUITAR and THE VOICE. Also, Gilmour always brought the rest of the band to play with him on his shows. He gives great treats. Roger, today, is bringing the show.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »
The show doesn't have much effect when the guy can't sing worth a damn anymore.  I'd definitely see Gilmour over Waters.

And Nick, I think its actually common for people to like Animals more than The Wall.  Saying Division Bell > Dark Side though is absolutely bonkers.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »
For a long time Division Bell was my favorite Floyd album, I only recently decided Animals was better.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
Sorry for the wait again guys, but I promise an update for tonight. Two bands that have a few passing similarities, even if their style of music is rather different.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
The two following bands represent the best things to emerge in progressive metal in the last decade. One represents what is simply the best in traditional prog-metal and the other is a powerhouse in taking progressive metal and merging it with dark influences and other styles. They have both produced 4 albums, for a total of 8. Of those 8 I'd say 1 is a masterpiece, 6 are fantastic, and 1 is very good. For them to make the top 10 with only 4 albums is quite a feat, so if you haven't, check these guys out.

9. Redemption
Nic Van Dyk is a genius. His song writing is superb, his guitar playing is amazing, and his albums all sound great. If I had one complaint about Redemption it would be that I can never decide which of the last three is my favorite. Although I can't quite come to calling any of their albums a masterpiece, the last three all hover dangerously close to being 10/10. On top of that the band seems to get more cohesive with each release and the band shows no signs of stopping their strong run.

Favorite Albums: Snowfall on Judgment Day, The Origins of Ruin, The Fullness of Time

Favorite Songs: Desperation: Part II, Nocturnal, Threads, Scarred, Sapphire, Release, The Suffocating Silence, Bleed Me Dry, The Death of Faith and Reason, Fall on You, Walls, Leviathan Rising, Black and White World, Another Day Dies, Love Kills Us All/Life in One Day

8. Riverside
Often dark and hauntingly beautiful, Riverside deliver the type of innovative prog you'd expect to come from a hotbed of the genre like England, but in fact the band hails from the unusual home of Poland. The four members came together from different backgrounds and seemed to unite in a way to rival Captain Planet. If you didn't get that reference you need to retry your childhood. And just when you thought the band might settle into a groove after their initial trilogy they completely changed the game when releasing their latest album, Anno Domini High Definition. As long as these guys stay together they are going to be a force to watch.

Favorite Albums: Second Life Syndrome, Anno Domini High Definition

Favorite Songs: I Believe, Reality Dream, Loose Heart, The Curtain Falls, Volte-Face, Conceiving You, Second Life Syndrome, Artificial Smile, Dance With the Shadow, Schizophrenic Prayer, Cybernetic Pillow, Ultimate Trip, Hyperactive, Egoist Hedonist

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
The four members came together from different backgrounds and seemed to unite in a way to rival Captain Planet.
:lol
Reference noted and appreciated. 

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:41 PM »
Nice move on Pink Floyd - absolutely love The Division Bell.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2010, 07:41:28 AM »
Of those 8 I'd say 1 is a masterpiece, 6 are fantastic, and 1 is very good.

9. Redemption
...Although I can't quite come to calling any of their albums a masterpiece...

8. Riverside

So, just for clarification, which Riverside album is the masterpiece IYO, Second Life Syndrome or ADHD?  I think I know which album is just "very good" (Redemptions Self Titled), but please correct me if that guess is wrong.

Both excellent choices, but I tend to prefer Redemption because I relate and feel personally connected to more of their songs than pretty much every other band not named "Dream Theater" combined.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »
Second Life Syndrome > ADHD DTvt.

I kind of have the same "problem" with Redemption that you do, Nick.  I hated The Origins of Ruin, and while Snowfall and Fullness are both pretty dang good, they aren't masterpieces.  If they manage to get one 10/10 album under their belts then I might be listening to them a lot more.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
So when Nick finishes his list, I think I'll do a top 50. Or top 40. Or top 25. Is that cool?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »
No you can't.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
So when Nick finishes his list, I think I'll do a top 50. Or top 40. Or top 25. Is that cool?
:coolio

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2010, 12:22:57 PM »

Why wait?  Start your own thread.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
Yeah, you can start yours now if you so choose. :)

Anyway, I consider Second Life Syndrome the masterpiece and Redemption's self-titled to be the very good album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
ahh, someone else is going to do one of these as well. Maybe I'll just start doing them in my blog, and when the time is open, I'll eventually create a thread/post the whole thing in 1 topic.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
I've heard of only about half of the bands on this list so far.  :lol

Guess I should expand my horizons a bit.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »
I've heard of only about half of the bands on this list so far.  :lol

Guess I should expand my horizons a bit.

It's the same for me, and I love listening to new music, so this is really awesome for me.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.