Author Topic: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 47902 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
No, it was one of the Styx/Kansas tours.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »
Nick, Lawrence Gowan doesn't sound like a chipmunk! :D  I thought he was good!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 02:33:07 AM »
Nick,
      along with Kev, you apparently aren't so crazy about Jethro Tull's A Passion Play, or for that matter, Minstrel in the Gallery as well. Both of those rank in mine and I imagine many others top 5 Tull records.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
Nick,
      along with Kev, you apparently aren't so crazy about Jethro Tull's A Passion Play, or for that matter, Minstrel in the Gallery as well. Both of those rank in mine and I imagine many others top 5 Tull records.

This.

My top 5 Tull is

Thick as a Brick
Aqualung
Minstrel in the Gallery
A Passion Play
Songs from the Wood
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »
Minstrel and Passion Play would probably be my 3rd and 4th favorites.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

43. Jethro Tull
Here's another band I've been listening to for a *long* time. I'm not as much into them as I used to be, but to give you an idea of how much I love some of their stuff I used a quote from one of their songs on the cover of my biggest high school English project. However I find a few of their albums feature a few great tracks with a bunch of alright ones, and they did produce Rock Island, one of the worst albums in my collection.

Favorite Albums: Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Songs From the Wood

Favorite Songs: Locomotive Breath, Thick as a Brick, Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day, Songs From the Wood, Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die

Minstrel and Passion Play would probably be my 3rd and 4th favorites.

so maybe one of those jumped up in the last few days? Also among favorite Tull tracks, "Baker St.Muse," all 16+ minutes of it, is certainly among my favorite Tull songs. But you and Kev apparently don't rank it quite so high I guess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 01:06:34 PM »
Shit, sorry, meant 4th and 5th.

I'll be doing another update at some point this afternoon/evening. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
41. Kamelot
Kamelot is one of those bands people from a lot of different places can appreciate. I actually wasn't very warm to Kamelot when I first heard them, for a long time I considered them OK, but then one day the albums I had really clicked with me, and I really came to appreciate the vocals, and then the additional albums I picked up I liked even more than the ones I had. In hindsight now I can see why these guys are as popular as they are when compared against their peers, and I'd definitely list them as a band to check out for those beginning to get into a variety of different genres of metal.

Favorite Albums: The Fourth Legacy, Epica

Favorite Songs: Nights of Arabia, On the Coldest Winter Night, When the Lights are Down, The Haunting

40. Sonata Arctica
Another speed/power metal band I've been into for a long time now, they have aged much better on me than contemporaries Stratovarius. Even though I find Unia to be by far their worst album, I felt that The Days of Greys really found them taking a new sound and getting it right. Newer stuff aside, so much of their old stuff is absolutely classic, and their live CD/DVD set "For the Sake of Revenge" sets a goal for other similar bands to aim for.

Favorite Albums: Ecliptica, Silence

Favorite Songs: Replica, FullMoon, Tallulah, Broken, Blinded No More, Don't Say a Word

39. Amorphis
A band with a growler in my top 40, you people probably think you've seen it all now! I prefer the older vocalist who didn't growl, but basically I love any Amorphis that doesn't have growling, so new and old there is plenty for me to love. I also like the fact that they don't mix their growls as high as many bands, so they detract from the music less. I love what the guys do musically, many of the guitar parts and tones are just awesome.

Favorite Albums: Am Universum, Skyforger

Favorite Songs: Sky is Mine, Silent Waters, The Night is Over, Crimson Wave

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
I only have The Black Halo by Kamelot, and the lack of songs from that album severely disturbs me.  That band/album has the honor of being pretty much the only power metal I listen to not for the lolz.

As for Amorphis, you're fine with growls if they're used sparingly, right?  Seems like Amorphis would be right up your alley.  Good stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Like I said, that's why I still love newer Amorphis, because growls are used, but they don't dominate the albums.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
One of these days I'll remember to check out Kamelot. A lot of people on DTF seem to enjoy them so I've been meaning to.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »
The Black Halo is the place to start. Memento Mori  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
caw caw

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 06:30:39 AM »
Amorphis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
38. Metallica
I'm not much of a thrash guy, but I really enjoy Metallica's classic albums, and I think their newest was definitely a solid release, though certainly not the album of the year so many here and elsewhere claimed it to be. I'm not sure what else to say, as pretty much everyone here probably has at least a basic idea of what Metallica sounds like, so...

Favorite Albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Metallica

Favorite Songs: Fade to Black, The Call of Ktulu, Master of Puppets, Welcome Home, Orion, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, All Nightmare Long

37. Secret Sphere
This is a band I doubt anyone else on the forum is a fan of. They are a prog/power hybrid from Italy and they have a lot of great stuff, much of which has a slightly unique twist to it that is hard to describe. If you like bands like Symphony X that do heavier prog metal then these guys are at least worth checking out.

Favorite Albums: Heart and Anger, A Time Nevercome

Favorite Songs: Recall of the Valkyrie, Where the Sea Ends, Loud and Raw, Lady of Silence, Welcome to the Circus, Butterfly Dance

36. Vanden Plas
Even if you think this is just a random general prog-metal band, you have to at least give credit to what the very unique Andy Kuntz brings to the table vocally. Listening to the man sing is an adventure in itself, and although he's not one of my very favorite vocalists he is almost always entertaining.

Favorite Albums: Christ O, The God Thing, Beyond Daylight

Favorite Songs: Rainmaker, Crown of Thorns, Iodic Rain, Cold Wind, Phoenix, Beyond Daylight, Shadow I Am, Gethsemane
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:56:06 PM by Nick »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »
40. Metallica

Favorite Albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Metallica

Nice call on that one.  :tup  The self-titled, while not as complex, is still a lot of fun.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Yeah, I understand why hard-core Metallica fans have a sour taste in their mouth about that album, but I personally love a lot of the tracks on it.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
I actually don't understand it at all. It's got the same grit and attitude of the early albums, just slowed down a bit.

And when you really examine the song lengths, they aren't that much shorter than the songs on the early albums are.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
35. Time Machine
I'd say this is easily the most obscure band on this list. Time Machine are an interesting progressive metal band from Italy that takes the tricky maneuver of boasting a new vocalist on every major release. A majority of the time they've found guys who I really enjoy, with Nick Forterezza being my favorite, too bad I've never come across him working with any other band. The music of the band is primarily written by the bassist, and you can really tell in some of the grooves, especially in the early material. Most of their catalog is experimental to some degree, and even if you think prog-metal generally has little to offer I think you'll find this band an exception to the rule and worth checking out.  

Favorite Albums: Eternity Ends, Act II: Galileo, Reviviscence

Favorite Songs: I Hold the Key, Falling Star, Eternity Ends, I Believe Again, Sphynx (The Witness), Angel Lucifer

34. Pain of Salvation
Most here love them or hate them, and if I had to lean one way it would certainly be towards the former, but in honor of the late Mitch Hedberg, I think they're okay. There is no question what a versatile singer Daniel Gildenlow is, and like it or loathe it they certainly bring a fresh spin to the table. With Scarsick actually being my favorite album it will be interesting to see where they go with the new album, as they have set out to change their sound a bit.

Favorite Albums: Scarsick, Remedy Lane, The Perfect Element Pt. 1

Favorite Songs: Ashes, Reconciliation, Undertow, Rope Ends, Chain Sling, Scarsick, Disco Queen

33. Muse
Well, I'll start by saying that like many fans, I was a bit disappointed with the newest release, The Resistance, however I will take it a bit farther and say it's their weakest album to date as I actually like the debut album a lot and it does not get nearly the credit it deserves. It doesn't have any of my favorite songs, and it doesn't jump out at you like the later albums did, but it's a nice solid album from start to finish and there is a lot of really good stuff on it. No point in saying much more about the later stuff here as most here seem to have at least a slight knowledge of it already.

Favorite Albums: Black Holes and Revelations, Origins of Symmetry

Favorite Songs: Feeling Good, Plug in Baby, Time is Running Out, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Starlight, Map of the Problematique, Knights of Cydonia, Undisclosed Desires
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:56:35 PM by Nick »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »
I've never heard of Time Machine before. That's strange they have a different vocalist for each album. Is it by choice or has it just worked out that way? You'd think it would make it harder to get into a band that way.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »
Scarsick actually being my favorite album

It's Nick alright! Scarsick's got its moments...but I don't see how you can place it above much of their other work.
caw caw

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
It's tough to get good information on such an obscure band, but from what I understand they started out not having that intention, but after it just happened to work out that way after 2 or 3 albums, and knowing that they would be mainly a studio/project band it was decided that they would continue to use a new vocalist on each album.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »
Quit worrying about a new avatar and continue the list NAO!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
Was going to wait till the morning to do another update, but I'll give you one guess now, and if you can name a band that would make it in my next update, I'll do it yet tonight.

Pointless and retarded internet games ftw.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:16 PM »
Coheed and Cambria
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Holy shit, I didn't expect anyone to actually do it. :lol

Okay, I'll work on it now. :lol

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »
Holy shit, that was a totally random pick :lol

Sorry Nick :heart
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
32. Kansas
Considering Kansas is a home bred progressive rock icon I didn't really get into these guys until surprisingly recently. I mean I had always enjoyed the radio hits, and eventually I got the two big albums, but then around a year or so ago I dug deeper and really enjoyed a lot of what I was hearing. The bands golden era produced a lot of classic songs that are both catchy yet unquestionably progressive in many ways. And of course the trademark violin is used SO well in their music. Seeing them live earlier in the year was a great experience!

Favorite Albums: Leftoverture, Point of Know Return (Daring, I know)

Favorite Songs: Belexes, Icarus, Child of Innocence, Song for America, Miracles out of Nowhere, Paradox, The Spider, Sparks of the Tempest

31. The Flower Kings
If I had to elect one band to hold the title of too prolific, it would be these guys. They had about 14 discs of studio material produced in only 12 years, which is more impressive when we're not talking about the days of vinyl, where you could only have around 40-45 minutes on an LP. The band has produced a lot of memorable stuff, and they carved out a style that bands like Karmakanic, The Tangent, Beardfish, and others have all tried to tap into. My only complaint is there is that there is probably too much. The music wanders too often for my tastes and because of it some of their catalog fails to be memorable to me. The fate of the band is currently uncertain, but I have a feeling these guys love making music too much to call the band quits.

Favorite Albums: Paradox Hotel, Stardust We Are

Favorite Songs: In the Eyes of the World, Church of Your Heart, Different People, Stardust We Are, City of Angels, The Truth Will Set You Free, Love Supreme, Monsters and Men, Hit Me With a Hit, Minor Giant Steps, Life Will Kill You, Paradox Hotel

30. Coheed and Cambria
Being a very green Coheed fan it was somewhat difficult to rank them, but generally the longer I've listened to them the more I've liked them, so expect them to be even higher ranked in the future. I really love the bands guitar work, I just wish it was mixed better on the first four albums and much of the new album didn't sound crappy overall. The music is fun, energetic, engaging, and has a cool story through everything. Although I think they've come close before, with the right producers/engineers, I think they could take the forward musical steps they took with the newest album and make the next one their masterpiece.

Favorite Albums: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, No World for Tomorrow

Favorite Songs: Welcome Home, Ten Speed, The Writing Writer, The Suffering, The Telling Truth, No World for Tomorrow, The Hound, The Running Free, Justice in Murder, The End Complete, Here We Are Juggernaut, Pearl of the Stars

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »
No love for In Keeping Secrets or the song Mother Superior?
caw caw

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
There is no mention of the album In Keeping Secrets or any of the songs from it.  Please tell me you at least have it.  It is their masterpiece after all.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
There is no mention of the album In Keeping Secrets or any of the songs from it.  Please tell me you at least have it.  It is their masterpiece after all.

I have it and the live version of it. For me none of the songs on it live up to any of the songs I mentioned in my post.

No love for In Keeping Secrets or the song Mother Superior?

I love the song Mother Superior, but I had to draw a line somewhere and stop listing songs. If I had to put on one more from the Good Apollo albums that would likely be it.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
I have it and the live version of it. For me none of the songs on it live up to any of the songs I mentioned in my post.

But...but...the title track, The Crowing, The Light & the Glass, and 21:13....
caw caw

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »
21:13 does reference a song that will eventually be on this list. :p

I know a lot of people here find it odd, but I just can not get into the first two albums in the same way I can get into the good Apollo albums. In Keeping Secrets is definitely good, with a lot of really good songs, but to me it falls short of greatness.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
i sense a fail spiral to rush at number 1.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm just getting into The Flower Kings now. They have a lot of really good material but I can deffinitley see what you mean about them meandering a bit too much sometimes.

I sense a win spiral to rush at number 1.

Fix'd

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »
i sense a fail spiral to rush at number 1.

I'm sure Rush will be #1, but as long as its in his top 3 there will be little if any fail here.  Other than my greater acceptance of metal, Nick and I seem to have very similar tastes, and anything on the list I'm not familiar with make me really want to check them out.