Author Topic: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 47909 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:44 PM »
Ah yes, another idea shamelessly stolen from Kev! While he finishes the original I will start the blatant rip-off.

A few guidelines before we begin. I am not including any artists with two or fewer studio albums. Although there are a few who might otherwise make my top 50 they simply can not have enough material to be judged against bands I have 10+ albums by. As is it is very difficult to rank bands with 3 albums against those with 6.

When naming favorite albums and favorite songs I won't stick to any particular number, for albums I'll generally name the ones I consider amazing albums, keeping into consideration how many albums the band has. For example if a band has 5 albums I'm going to do my best not to name 4 of them. :lol I will also name them from most essential to least essential.

I will, on a few occasions, lump several bands together under one primary composer, this is my call and you just have to live with it. :p

On with the fun...

50. King Crimson
This is one of those special bands that when I'm in the mood they are absolutely terrific. From the well known debut to their newest every King Crimson record I own demands my attention in some way. The coolest thing is, no matter how wacky a Crimson record gets, no matter how out there it seems, at the end of a focused listen it all seems to make sense. Funnily enough Crimson makes breaking the rules the a rule, and I can't see someone at least giving them credit for being inventive and interesting.

Favorite Albums: The Power to Believe, Discipline

Favorite Songs: In the Court of the Crimson King, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Thela Hun Ginjeet

49. Genesis
I know some of you here will not be happy seeing these guys so low, but simply speaking I don't find their golden years to come close to contemporaries like Yes and Rush. Still, there is a lot of classic material, and one has to appreciate the very theatrical aspects of the band, they were, in the beginning at least, truly art for art's sake. However, musically I'd say they were very good, but falling short of true greatness, and a band held high more due to nostalgia than a large amount of fantastic output. And then there is of course the Collins led Genesis, which does have some redeeming qualities, and is certainly catchy, but not overall as good as the older stuff.

Favorite Albums: Selling England By the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Favorite Songs: The Cinema Show, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

48. Spock's Beard
This is a band that would almost definitely be higher if their albums could be obtained at a decent price, but seeing as I can never find their stuff cheap, I only own 5 albums. Now here comes the shocker. Although I really like the Morse-era stuff I own, I love the D'Virgilio era a tad more. I just love the loose rocking song-writing that the band fully developed after Morse's departure. Still I'd suggest either era to anyone, with a preference suited to their tastes.

Favorite Albums: Octane, V

Favorite Songs: Crack the Big Sky, All On a Sunday, At the End of the Day, Wind at My Back, Surfing Down the Avalanche, Climbing Up That Hill
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Re: Nick's Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:35 AM »
Insta-fail for not mentioning Snow. But I agree with you partly as I also love the D'Virgilio era. 'On a Perfect Day' is one of my favourite SB songs.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
God dammit. I want to do something like this but I keep waiting for the amount of these things to die down so I'm not cluttering up the forum BUT THEN PEOPLE POST EVEN MORE.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »
this ought to be fun

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »
Insta-fail for not mentioning Snow. But I agree with you partly as I also love the D'Virgilio era. 'On a Perfect Day' is one of my favourite SB songs.

Funny you should mention that song, if I had listed just one more in my list it would probably be that one.

As for Snow, it definitely has some strong moments, and it's a good album overall but I don't find it to be the amazing album many seem to think it is.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
Great bands so far, but I think you need to name more favorite albums and favorite songs.  :biggrin:

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

Funny you should mention that song, if I had listed just one more in my list it would probably be that one.

As for Snow, it definitely has some strong moments, and it's a good album overall but I don't find it to be the amazing album many seem to think it is.

To be honest, I only really like Disk 1

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
Considering how much you love Transatlantic and how similar the bands can be I'm really surprised Spock's Beard is that low.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
I expect, in time, Spock's Beard will move steadily up, but I just need to get more of their albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
If "Surfing Down the Avalanche" is one of your favorite SB songs, then you definitely haven't heard enough of their material. :lol

And you could have at least waited until I was finished when my thread, ya know. ;) :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
Yeah, I could have, but I was excited as I've been making my list, editing it, and re-editing it since you started yours, and everyone was just waiting for the order of the final bands.

And yes, I agree I have not heard enough of their material, and I will get more in time.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
It's interesting that you don't have In the Court of the Crimson King listed as a favorite album but two out of your three favorite songs listed are from that album. Oh, and I'm noticing a severe lack of Red.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Yeah, I could have, but I was excited as I've been making my list, editing it, and re-editing it since you started yours, and everyone was just waiting for the order of the final bands.
Take care not to leave your Word document behind in the bar after a night of drinking, or your list might get leaked, probably on Cozmodo.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
It's interesting that you don't have In the Court of the Crimson King listed as a favorite album but two out of your three favorite songs listed are from that album. Oh, and I'm noticing a severe lack of Red.

That's because I find Power and Discipline to be great albums from front to back, whereas In the Court has awesome as book-ends, but the middle is some of my least favorite Crimson.

Take care not to leave your Word document behind in the bar after a night of drinking, or your list might get leaked, probably on Cozmodo.

:lol But a word to the wise, I keep my list in Excel, I travel with a fake list in a Word file just in case people try and steal it from me!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »

:lol But a word to the wise, I keep my list in Excel, I travel with a fake list in a Word file just in case people try and steal it from me!
Apple could learn a thing or two from you, but they don't use Office, do they?  I prefer to keep all my important documents in PowerPoint -- because who's gonna look there?

EDIT: for a brief moment I contemplated creating a fake top 50 Nick list and posting it as a leak, but 1) I really should be doing homework and 2) don't want to take up all that space in the thread.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

That's because I find Power and Discipline to be great albums from front to back, whereas In the Court has awesome as book-ends, but the middle is some of my least favorite Crimson.

Epitaph would like to have a word with you.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »
Nick's opinion on KC has always been fail. Moonchild, I talk to the Wind, hell, all of the middle songs are great to me. And Nick hates Red for some reason.  ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
I don't hate Red, but I fail to see the hype. To me that album has always been alright, but not the stunning piece others see it to be. I am much more blown away by albums like Power and Discipline.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »
Are you updating this today?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
No.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
:lol Okay.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
Actually I'm working on an update right now. :lol

Offline contest_sanity

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »
47. Fish
Fish's solo material wanders off from his work with Marillion and is certainly not as progressive in a sense, but it certainly maintains a few unique twists and each album is almost always interesting in some way. However many of Fish's albums suffer from filler in my opinion, many having up to a half dozen or fewer amazing tracks and then the rest I might not care much about at all. The big exception is his newest, 13th Star which is very strong from start to finish.

Favorite Albums: Internal Exile, 13th Star

Favorite Songs: Big Wedge, Shadowplay, Credo, Internal Exile, Goldfish and Clowns, Faith Healer, Long Cold Day, Manchmal, Open Water

46. Stratovarius
One of the first full on power/speed metal bands I ever listened to, Stratovarius is a band that performs a particular type of music and they do it well. However they don't hold nearly the luster to me as the once did, in large part due to the similar sound and the long time I've known them now. Doesn't help that their last two albums haven't been great, with the self-titled boasting perhaps 3 really good tracks, and the latest, Polaris, having nothing to really want to make me go back and listen to it ever again.

Favorite Albums: Elements Pt. 2, Visions

Favorite Songs: Alpha and Omega, Visions, Black Diamond, Eagleheart

45. Supertramp
Supertramp's greatest hits is an album I've been listening to, and loving since probably around age 6. In their prime I'd consider Supertramp to be some of the greatest song writers available. Their stuff was in some ways simple, almost always catchy, and yet it had its share of interesting ideas and progressive tendencies.

Favorite Albums: Crime of the Century, Breakfast in America

Favorite Songs: Crime of the Century, Hide in Your Shell, Asylum, School, The Logical Song, Take the Long Way Home

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 05:12:35 AM »
I wonder who is going to be number one  :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:57 AM »
Favorite Albums: Elements Pt. 2
Now, this is something you don't see every day.  :biggrin: Interesting choice, mate.  :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
Destiny is my favorite Stratovarius album.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
We Are Not A Match
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
I pretty much disagree with all of your picks/placements so far.  :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »

I must be doing something right then. :p

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »

I must be doing something right then. :p

Given your track record, I doubt it. :p

I'm sure our lists will be somewhat similar when you get down to the top 10... or at least the top 5.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Yeah, I figure like Kev those who have been posting with me any length of time will have a general idea at my top 5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
Well, I've got your Top 3 down....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
44. Tiles
Here is an interesting progressive rock act that is a diamond in the American rough. Much like another act I'll mention later it's a shame we haven't really picked up on these guys too much. They feature a very nice blend of prog and jazzy sound in a very up-tempo fashion that is quite entertaining. If you don't mind a high vocalist with a quick tongue and think you can keep up with the instrumental madness you should check these guys out.

Favorite Albums: Flypaper, Presents of Mind

Favorite Songs: Back & Forth, Landscrape

43. Jethro Tull
Here's another band I've been listening to for a *long* time. I'm not as much into them as I used to be, but to give you an idea of how much I love some of their stuff I used a quote from one of their songs on the cover of my biggest high school English project. However I find a few of their albums feature a few great tracks with a bunch of alright ones, and they did produce Rock Island, one of the worst albums in my collection.

Favorite Albums: Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Songs From the Wood

Favorite Songs: Locomotive Breath, Thick as a Brick, Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day, Songs From the Wood, Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die

42. Styx
Another nostalgia trip for me. I was very happy to see these guys live a few years ago, and aside from DeYoung's replacement sounding a bit like Alvin from the Chipmunks at times they put on a really rockin', enjoyable show. They did arena rock records in a way that blew many other bands out of the water, and their multi-vocalist attack is something I've always loved.

Favorite Albums: Paradise Theater, Pieces of Eight

Favorite Songs: Snowblind, Miss America, Suite Madam Blue, Long Nights
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:43:28 AM by Nick »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
I think you and me might be the only Tiles fans here Nick.  Nice to see some Tiles love though.

No less a musician than Alex Lifeson likes Tiles, which is probably why he did a guest spot on the last album.

I'll be following this list very closely, as your tastes seem to match up very well with my lighter side of my listening spectrum

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
When did you see Styx? Was it on their co-tour with Boston? I saw them on that tour and I thought they blew Boston off the stage, even though I wasn't really a fan of Styx before that show.