Author Topic: [Music] Haken - Aquarius  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Haken - Aquarius
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
Reviewed By: Nick
Artist: Haken
Album: Aquarius
Genre: Progressive Rock
Year of Release: 2010
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Haken/dp/B0036OOWR4

From the very beginning of “The Point of No Return” Haken proves to be a trip through the unexpected, while still maintaining elements of progressive rock and metal that will allow fans of the genre to love them. In one moment the band can show master craftsmanship in carving out very beautiful music, and in the next they can be doing something completely off the wall in a fashion Frank Zappa would be proud of. With that said let me say that if you criticize a band like Dream Theater for the occasional “circus music” then Haken may not be for you, but if you dig it, then you’ll probably love Haken.

The primary musical mind behind the band, Richard Henshall manages to make a great use of symphonic keyboards to build suspense, as can be heard in the second track “Streams”, and keyboard player Diego Tejeida does a good job handling quick piano runs on “Eternal Rain”. That track also features what guitarist Charles Griffiths is capable of as it features guitar solos that fits the song perfectly.

It’s around this point that I should point out one of my few complaints about the disc, which is the way singer Ross Jennings is included in the sound of the album. I’m not sure whether it’s his voice or the production of the album but at times he sounds a bit synthetic and pulled into the music, making it hard for him to have his own punch really be heard. It’s not necessarily a bad thing throughout, as the voice is a musical instrument and many times he adds fantastically to the album when blending so thoroughly with the music, but there are certainly moments where I wished he stood out a bit more. Also, the blending often makes it a bit hard to hear his enunciation. Despite those complaints I’d say Ross does a very good job throughout the record, especially on longer held notes in which he maintains power in a very nice way.

The final track, “Celestial Elixir” showcases both Haken’s ability to write longer, diverse, and ever changing songs and their ability to simply create musical excellence. Although the entire seventeen minutes of the track is amazing the chorus stands out to me as the highlight of the album. It’s also amazing how well the final lines of the verses merge themselves perfectly into the chorus. After all the beauty that is the first eight or so minutes of the song it’s amazing how well the band can transition into crazy and then later back into something softer and soothing. And although this song may be the best example of it there is evidence of it all around the album.

Musically this album is a complete gem, and come the end of the year I doubt I’ll find a new act with a debut album as promising as this one. From a production standpoint, aside from the vocal aspect mentioned earlier I’d say the album sounds great. If you live in the UK and have a chance to see these guys, you should, and if you live anywhere in the world you should buy this album. 

Nick’s Rating: 9.5/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: [Music] Haken - Aquarius
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Great to hear you like it so much Nick! :tup

Interesting to read your point about Ross's vocals. I've read a couple of reviews online that praise it as one of the good things about the album, that for the most part the vocals blend in with the music well to create an overall atmosphere rather than showcasing at the forefront. That's pretty much how I feel as well, and besides, there are still moments where the vocals are right out front, like the funk rock section in Aquarium. :metal

Oh, and the enunciation isn't because of the production, that's just the way Ross sings. :lol

Oh and just to make sure you're aware, both Griffiths and Henshall solo. And they're both beasts.

Other than that, cool review. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:05:57 PM »
Yeah, when commenting on guitars and keyboards I kind of had to take a shot in the dark as to who was doing what.

As for Ross's vocals, like I said, I like his voice, a lot, and at times the blend is definitely cool, but after hearing the entire album I'd just like at times at least for him to really stand out, and he very rarely ever does.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
Yeah I think it's something that's very much down to personal taste. But yeah, I'm really impressed with his vocals throughout the album, he just gets better and better.

One review I read said his voice has a bit of a Chris Cornell quality to it, and I can see what they mean at times!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
I pretty much hate Chris Cornell, but I can see the comparison a bit. The big difference Ross never really gets that huge grating edge to his voice, which is why I don't like Chris. :lol

P.S. Hop on MSN.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
Great review Nick! Also, I think Ross' vocals have really improved since the Demo.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
Great review Nick! Also, I think Ross' vocals have really improved since the Demo.
This!

And I kinda like the level that the vocals sit in, as I don't tend to be much of a lyrics kinda guy anyway...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />