Author Topic: Nigthwish appreciation thread  (Read 20486 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Nightwish appreciation thread
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »
Maybe the big twist is they're gonna do an electronica style album like Evanescence's next album. Wouldn't that be fun, kids?! I miss Tarja.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »
Maybe the big twist is they're gonna do an electronica style album like Evanescence's next album. Wouldn't that be fun, kids?! I miss Tarja.

The last thing we need is for Nightwish to sound like Evanescence. And I'm glad Tarjas gone. Nightwish's sound was changing too much and she was having a hard time adjusting, her voice just didn't fit anymore. Unfortunatly they found a rock singer who can't do the opera stuff. They needed to find someone who could do both.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
What was wrong with Tarja? I liked where her voice was going and Ghost Love Score proves she still had it. She was a perfectly fine rock singer too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
Nightwish's sound was changing too much and she was having a hard time adjusting, her voice just didn't fit anymore.

This is legitimately the first time I've ever heard that opinion expressed by anyone.  Personally, I love her work on the last two albums they did with her, and would take either one of those albums over all their previous albums combined.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »
Again, I rarely complain about stuff like that, and I understand the need to take time off, but this is still a ridiculous delay.  That will make it 4 years between albums.

That's becoming more and more common though, you have to admit...just look at Nevermore.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
just look at Nevermore.

I usually try to avoid doing so whenever possible.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 02:25:22 PM »
Aww hold on now, Nevermore is amazing.  :metal

You don't like them?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
The only thing I've really heard from them is what they had on the Gigantour CD a few years back, and it didn't really do anything for me.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »
Well that sucks. You're missing out IMO

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Bosky, ever get around to getting Tarja's solo album?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
Nope.  Can't find it at anything less than an outrageous price.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
Ive just finally got into Dark Passion Play after really enjoying Oceanborn through Once (including End of an Era on Blu Ray  :metal).  I really liked Tarja and didn't really want to hear the new singer, but I was really impressed.  SHe is a very different singer, but her voice is so awesome.  While DPP isnt as good as Once, Wishmaster, or Century Child, it is still a really awesome album.  I really like the softer songs like Eva and The Heart I Once Had.  I also downloaded a few bootlegs of Nightwish with Annete and I really like how she sings the old songs especially Ever Dream and The Siren.

Online Adami

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
Nope.  Can't find it at anything less than an outrageous price.

Aside from some odd pacing it's REALLY good. I think.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:57 PM »
Just saw on Amazon that there is a U.S. release that is $14.95.  I wasn't aware of this.  I just might have to get it now. 

Online Adami

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2010, 02:40:28 PM »
Just saw on Amazon that there is a U.S. release that is $14.95.  I wasn't aware of this.  I just might have to get it now. 

It's not as epic as DPP, but I'd say it's more cleverly written. Less popish material and less sillyness. Not that I don't like DPP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
Well, I'm not huge on DPP, so all of your comments make me think I'll like it.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
Ive just finally got into Dark Passion Play after really enjoying Oceanborn through Once (including End of an Era on Blu Ray  :metal).  I really liked Tarja and didn't really want to hear the new singer, but I was really impressed.  SHe is a very different singer, but her voice is so awesome.
I prefer that, really. As well as Tarja's vocals always did suit Nightwish, I think it would be a shame to have auditioned a lot of talented singers and then asked the one who got the job "Right, let's hear you do your best Tarja impression. Constantly."

The most exciting thing about a change of singer is the fact that two singers are incapable of sounding the same. The dawn of a new age and looking forward to hearing a sound which is, at its core, fantastically different. The music stays the same but getting to see a brand new interpretation is really reinvigorating and it gives it a completely different and new dimension, which is fantastic. While DPP wasn't as stellar as Once, I was always glad that they decided to use the opportunity to change things up a bit. Variety is a fantastically exciting thing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
Yup. Tarja never had that rock voice, like Annette does. Her voice makes songs like Dark Chest of Wonders, Wish I Had An Angel, and Nemo to name a few that much more metal. While at the same time The Siren and their more operatic songs don't have that power of that singing style
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Yup. Tarja never had that rock voice, like Annette does. Her voice makes songs like Dark Chest of Wonders, Wish I Had An Angel, and Nemo to name a few that much more metal. While at the same time The Siren and their more operatic songs don't have that power of that singing style

In the studio, yea Anette would rock those...well...rock songs. However, live she is just plain lame. I've seen her twice and watched tons of bootlegs. She's usually lacking power, upper range and does this annoying trill thing every few seconds.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
Didn't Tarja start lip syncing quite a bit?

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »

I think they did 1-2 shows that way, but against the bands wishes. Aside from that, they used a lot of studio backing tracks, but I think she actually sung her lead stuff herself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »

I think they did 1-2 shows that way, but against the bands wishes. Aside from that, they used a lot of studio backing tracks, but I think she actually sung her lead stuff herself.

Ahh ic

Online Adami

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
Hey El JoNNo, did you post something? I can't tell....

...boobs.....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
Yeah, with a sig like that no one will ever actually read what you have to say, in any topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline robwebster

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGQiGEYl4Y

Oh. My. God. :hefdaddy
Incidentally, this is what Ned Flanders is doing with himself nowadays.

I need to be crucified or something.

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGQiGEYl4Y

Oh. My. God. :hefdaddy
Incidentally, this is what Ned Flanders is doing with himself nowadays.

I need to be crucified or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2010, 09:25:10 AM »
Diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly-DUN-DUN-DUN!
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Nigthwish appreciation thread
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2010, 08:15:09 AM »
Just had to revive this thread to discuss the band's plans for the immediate future which consist of:  absolutely nothing.  :(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
RESTING ON THEIR LAURELS.

Tbh, I'm not too bothered. I think it's a bit of a shame they're not capitalising on the fact they've got a new singer... if I were them, on the heels of Tarja I'd probably want to release two albums in fairly quick succession to really give Annette a chance to get settled in and really prove her place in the band.

I'm finding this fairly hard to articulate, actually. But, I mean, Tarja was so integral to the band and to what the fans took from Nightwish. If you've got one album out with Annette, then it's the odd one out. By the time you're doing a second album then you're reinforcing the point that this is how the band sounds now. That's the point where she becomes a mainstay, and a crucial pillar of the way the band sounds. She'll have settled in and really defined her place. They should really be sculpting the new sound of Nightwish, and demonstrating how different - or similar - it is to what came before. Losing the chance to say "Look, see, we're still the same band who put out Once!" or "This is what we're about now, we started it on DPP and now it's bigger and better and more powerful than anything you've ever heard before" while it's still an exciting statement.

I dunno. I think it's fairly bad business not to be moving more quickly in what should be a turbulent, stimulating, and possibly career-changing point in the history of Nightwishness. But however slow they are, I'll still come back as soon as they do something interesting again, so you know. Swings and roundabouts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2010, 08:46:30 AM »
Yes, exactly.  Swings and roundabouts.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:51 AM »
Are they really going to put four years between albums?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
The last thing we need is for Nightwish to sound like Evanescence. And I'm glad Tarjas gone. Nightwish's sound was changing too much and she was having a hard time adjusting, her voice just didn't fit anymore. Unfortunatly they found a rock singer who can't do the opera stuff. They needed to find someone who could do both.
They need Floor Jansen! :P

Shame they're taking so long to do anything. While the lyrics on DPP were even more iffy than usual, most of the music outright rocked.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »
I think the problem with Nightwish is the same with tons of other bands. Tuomas started it as a way to deal with his depression and anger. He's no longer really depressed or really angry, and the music isn't changing with his attitude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com