Author Topic: Nigthwish appreciation thread  (Read 20422 times)

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
Nigthwish appreciation thread
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
Well...duh.  We don't have one. 

But now we do. 

*appreciates*

:hearts:

Favorite album:  Once
Favorite song:  That's probably obvious.
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Nigthwish appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23:22 PM »
From Samsara's Breakdown Room-

"So I got my first Nightwish album...

Dark Passion Play of course. One of my major complaints about Nightwish was always Tarja from what I had heard of older material, but with Anette at the helm I finally decided to pick this album up. Musically it is a lot like what I remember hearing in the older stuff, which is mostly very good! I really love Anette's vocals. One of my major complaints about the old stuff was how the guy seemed to overuse harsh vocals, and suck at them in the process, but on this record he seems to do a lot more good clean singing. Overall a very strong album and I look forward to the next one.

Favorite Tracks:
The Poet and the Pendulum
Amaranth
The Islander
7 Days to the Wolves"
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DarkChestOfWonders

• The Slayer
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Resident Nightwish fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
I need to sign up for an accunt over there. 

Nick, I am shocked that somebody who runs a show called "When Prog and Power Unite" has never owned a Nightwish album.  For shame, sir.  SHAME!  :caffeine: 

You picked good songs.  I'm a big fan of the Tarja albums, but not so much the last one.  I think Anette is a good singer, and I like her back story.  But I'm a Tarja fan at heart.  Nightwish was just about perfect with her and Marco together in the band.
\"thats Mr McDogwick to you.  (...come back after nine. bring LOTS of leather.)\"  ~Sabredog.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »
I was just never a fan of Tarja's singing, or Marco's vocals half the time. Even tho I generally really enjoyed the music it was a real hard spot for me. Same can be said for stuff like newer Amorphis, when the vocals are right, I eat it right up.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
I saw them live twice in philly and they were both good shows  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:29:05 PM »
I just bought a special edition of Oceanborn with extra songs, and their sigs printed on the CD. Now I own that and Century Child officially. I used to have Once but traded it in.

*Appriciates*

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
SLAYING THE DREAMER  :metal

Fav album is Century Child, followed by Dark Passion Play.  And no, Anette is not bad.

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »
I love dark passion play, and I just picked up the other two albums but still working on them

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 08:06:56 PM »
Going to see them on Saturday.  Can't wait.
(Like Nick, I was never a big fan of Tarja.... but I LOVE Annete).

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »
You picked good songs.  I'm a big fan of the Tarja albums, but not so much the last one.  I think Anette is a good singer, and I like her back story.  But I'm a Tarja fan at heart.  Nightwish was just about perfect with her and Marco together in the band.

It's so lame that you have a screen name after one of your favorite bands. That's really lame.

I'm ashamed of you.

/sarcastic green

Offline Summers

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
*appreciates*

Absolutely love this band I'm somewhat of a Nightwish fanboi.  

Favourite album...  Probably Wishmaster, although Once is also a masterpiece and has my favourite song, Ghost Love Score.  Ahh love that song.  

Dark Passion Play is great but I think that Tarja's voice was a key ingredient of the huge Nightwish sound and gave it that extra whack, but I still appreciate Anette and think she's come along great, she has certainly improved a hell of a lot on live performances of 'old' songs recently, at least from what I can tell in videos.  

I was actually hoping to go see them in Hartwall Arena in September as I missed the March UK gig, but flights to Finland aren't too cheap  :sad:

/fanboi off
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
Seen them live once (pun not intended :P). My favorite album of theirs is Oceanborn.

*appreciates*

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
First of all, love the band (prefer Tarja over Annette).  Can't narrow down a favorite.

Second, love your username DarkChest.

Third ... SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »

Nick, I am shocked that somebody who runs a show called "When Prog and Power Unite" has never owned a Nightwish album.  For shame, sir.  SHAME!  :caffeine: 

It's not like NIghtwish are prog or something. I agree with Nick completely. Tarja was annoying and boring as hell, for me. Sure, she could sing and all that but her style was so boring and the same it put me off completely. With Annette the vocals are much catchier, dynamic and interesting to listen to. DPP didn't click with me and I can't say I'm a fan of the band all of a sudden, but I definitely look forward to their next album where Annette will have a word in the writing process (something Tarja, as far as we know, never chose to do).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:34:22 PM »
What sucks most about Anette being in the band is that they will have VERY little focus on older material. I can't imagine a single song from the first two albums being played with, very few from Wishmaster, and just a little more from CC and Once.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »
Ghost Love Score is a reeeeally good song.

Offline Summers

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:28 PM »
What sucks most about Anette being in the band is that they will have VERY little focus on older material. I can't imagine a single song from the first two albums being played with, very few from Wishmaster, and just a little more from CC and Once.

Well they seem to play Sacrament of Wilderness and Sleeping Sun (both 2nd album songs) with Anette. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
I've loved this band since I picked up Oceanborn in 99 I think.  Once sealed the deal - that's by far their best album, though I love the first 4-5 songs on Century Child as well.  Phenominal band.

Everyone should read Once Upon a Nightwish if you want to know the details between the band/Tarja split.  All I have to say is that Marcelo Cabuili is an idiot.

Offline Summers

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
Yeah he seems to have been the driving force behind the split.  I guess Tarja is a bit impressionable.

It's kinda sad to see her now, she's shrunk so much since Nightwish.  Theres a vid on youtube with her doing a terrible cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit...   she used to be the queen of symphonic metal. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:26 AM »
Well for me it all started back sometime in 1997, one of my (then) online pals was raving to me about this band called Nightwish.
He ended up sending me the CD, I was blown away by the music, but the voice I was not so sure about, as I had never heard anything quite like it.

It was Oceanborn that really sold the band for me, I was in the Navy at the time, away at sea and listend to it 3 or 4 times a day, it got me through some rough times, so this is my Favourite Nightwish release to this day.

Wishmaster I like but is let down by lacking that certain X factor for me. CC is where Tarja's vox changes down a bit and the band added Marco and he certainly brings Nightwish back to life.

Once, is my second fave, pretty close to Oceanborn, almost the perfect album, that band sounding at it's peak, despite all the friction between Tarja/Marcello and the rest of the band.

DPP, I love, it took some getting used to hearing the music of Nightwish with a different singer.
Anette I love on the album, but the couple of times I have seen her live, she struggles sometimes and a couple of the old songs sound plain wrong with her voice.

Tarja, I love her voice, but her album, 'My Winter Storm', is a snooze for me, I still have never heard it all the way through.
I hope the next one is better.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »
l like em.

album ranking

century child
wishmaster
once
dark passion play
oceanborn
angels fall first

favorite song
poet and the pendulum

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:21 PM »
In the Tarja vs Annette debate, I definitely prefer Annette's voice. Which isn't to say that I dislike Tarja's, I just don't find it entirely suitable for the style. A lot of the old music is still great, Once and CC are really excellent albums and in fairness there are still plenty of songs where Tarja's voice fits fine.

I do love the new album though :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 03:06:38 PM »
I can’t figure out Nightwish.

Whenever I listen to their music, which is fairly periodic (I own Wishmaster/CC/Oceanborn/Once), I really enjoy it. But as I sit here, I probably couldn’t tell you the names of 5 of their songs, nor could I hum more than a couple riffs or sing more than a couple lyrics.

I don’t know why their music isn’t more memorable to me, especially since I enjoy listening to it.

And since everyone is doing it: I like Tarja’s work in NW very much – aside from some periodic lack of understanding of what she is saying. I’ve only heard clips of DPP, but liked what I heard. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
In the Tarja vs Annette debate, I definitely prefer Annette's voice.
Hey, we agree yet again. It's odd because 2012 is still quite far from now :D I'm afraid that if we keep agreeing so much we could start the apocalypse. :d

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »
Noooooooooooooo!
:splodegent:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »
Last night's show was pretty awesome.  Annette's mic wasn't really loud enough and she got kind of drowned out at times, but other than that it was a killer show.  I definitely recommend seeing them live.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Last night's show was pretty awesome.  Annette's mic wasn't really loud enough and she got kind of drowned out at times, but other than that it was a killer show.  I definitely recommend seeing them live.

Setlist?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
Nightwish is a fantastic band, and I do prefer Annette to Tarja. Why? Because Annette's voice gives Nightwish more of a metal symphonic band appeal opposing to the whole operatic scene Tarja brought into Nightwish. Don't get me wrong, Tarja is fantastic and definitely one of those virtuostic voices that will amaze you, but she fits much more in pure opera surroundingsl.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 03:20:04 PM »

Setlist?

No idea.  I'm generally terrible with song names, plus I only have like 3 of their albums anyway.

The only songs that I did catch the names of somehow or another are:

7 Days to the Wolves (opener, after some weird Bagpipe guy intro)
The Poet and the Pendulum
Amaranth
The Siren
Wish I Had an Angel (Closer)

Obviously they played a lot more than that, but I have no idea what the names of the songs were.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Nightwish appreciation thread
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
One incredible band for sure. They were strong and operatic with Tarja, but I am eagerly awaiting a new album with Annette, because that woman fits them real hard. I'm listening to Dark Passion Play right now and man, such a great album.  :tup
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Nightwish appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
I'm learning to love the old stuff, but the latest is amazing....is there rumors of the next album?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »
I want my wife to look like Anette when she gets around her late 30's. She sounds so great and sexy.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:52:38 PM »
I want Jamesman to look like Anette when he gets around his late 30's.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »

I'm aiming for it, but the leather outfits make it hard to breathe down there.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »

I'm aiming for it, but the leather outfits make it hard to breathe down there.

S'okay, I'd accept velvet, too.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy