Author Topic: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion  (Read 144419 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Genesis Appreciation/Discussion
« Reply #1505 on: December 08, 2023, 10:59:23 PM »
There are two versions of Three Sides Live. One consists completey of live version, the other one has some studio tracks on the fourth side, among them Paperlate and other songs from the 3x3 EP and some Duke b-sides.

Have them both. Had 3 sides originally not long after I got my CD player and sold it back before I got the "Definitive Remaster" only to find out it was the English "4 Sides" live and had to find and rebuy  the original US version.

Listen to both fairly regularly and during my Genesis binges.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1506 on: December 08, 2023, 11:07:32 PM »
Paperlate feels like a song I had to have heard somewhere, but I cannot imagine where that would have been.

Paperlate got considerable airplay, at least where we live (Midwest).  It was the "other" Genesis song with the Phoenix Horns (aka the Earth, Wind & Fire horn section).  The one everyone knows was No Reply At All.  Both were recorded during the Abacab sessions, but they felt like they should only keep one for the album, so No Reply At All became the single and Paperlate was relegated to B-side/unreleased status.  That is, until it showed up on the (original) U.S. release of Three Sides Live.  I definitely remember hearing it on the radio around then.

It was all over radio at that time. Actually both songs were. But back then a ridiculous about of Genesis from that era was played on the radio. I'm sure that helped me get into the band. That and listening to Duke, Abacab and Three Sides Live on my friend's stereo system. Then again Peter Gabriel was also played a ton.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1507 on: December 08, 2023, 11:10:26 PM »
Paperlate feels like a song I had to have heard somewhere, but I cannot imagine where that would have been.

Paperlate got considerable airplay, at least where we live (Midwest).  It was the "other" Genesis song with the Phoenix Horns (aka the Earth, Wind & Fire horn section).  The one everyone knows was No Reply At All.  Both were recorded during the Abacab sessions, but they felt like they should only keep one for the album, so No Reply At All became the single and Paperlate was relegated to B-side/unreleased status.  That is, until it showed up on the (original) U.S. release of Three Sides Live.  I definitely remember hearing it on the radio around then.

I can understand that decision at the time as they probably thought that two songs with the horns might be too much, but what I cannot understand is how they thought Who Dunnit? was good enough to put on the record.  I never heard that song until a few years ago, and I remember thinking, "this probably won't be as bad as everyone says it is."  And yet it was. :lol  Just goes to show that even the best bands swing and miss badly sometimes, even when otherwise on their game.

Some misses are others hits.
Like that one a lot though it isn't too accessible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1508 on: December 09, 2023, 06:46:22 AM »
I'll take your word for it. ;)

Back to the good stuff, I have been checking out some of their b-sides/non album tracks lately that I had previous never heard.  Some good stuff in there. Paperlate feels like a song I had to have heard somewhere, but I cannot imagine where that would have been.

Stone cold classic. but then anything from '76 to '83 is in my Genesis wheelhouse. Love everything from that period.

Yeah, the consistency in that era as something else.  A Trick of the Tail and Duke are two albums I can turn on and never think about hitting skip over any song, which I cannot say about any PG-era album, even my favorites like Selling England and The Lamb (More Fool Me and The Waiting Room can both go jump in a lake).

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1509 on: December 09, 2023, 12:34:50 PM »
Mad man moon:  probably the best song they never played live.  A Trick of the tail is my all time favorite album.  So withou any bass tab to find on the net, I took my time and did a cover of Mad man moon that you might want to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJFWnPJyQo
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1510 on: December 09, 2023, 04:13:40 PM »
Mad man moon:  probably the best song they never played live.  A Trick of the tail is my all time favorite album.  So withou any bass tab to find on the net, I took my time and did a cover of Mad man moon that you might want to hear.

I'm not a fan of watching stuff like that, but props to you for giving it a go.

It is hard to believe that they never played Mad Man Moon live.  It is definitely on my short list of best Genesis songs ever.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1511 on: December 09, 2023, 09:24:06 PM »
That break in the middle would be nearly impossible to recreate live.  It's basically a miniature piano concerto; you can hear the strings, woodwinds, percussion, brass, everything.  I think of it as one of Tony's early ventures into the neo-Classical stuff he does now with a real orchestra.  Back then he had to do it all with synthesizers.

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #1512 on: December 09, 2023, 09:57:01 PM »
"Mad Man Moon" is my favorite song on a really good album.

Alan Parsons must have been a fan, too, if you've heard "Silence and I".

Offline HOF

« Reply #1513 on: December 09, 2023, 10:04:22 PM »

:tup

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1514 on: December 10, 2023, 08:26:24 AM »
"Mad Man Moon" is my favorite song on a really good album.

Alan Parsons must have been a fan, too, if you've heard "Silence and I".

I know so little about them beside the obvious couple of great commercial hits.  This is a masterpiece!

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #1515 on: December 10, 2023, 08:28:09 AM »
That break in the middle would be nearly impossible to recreate live.  It's basically a miniature piano concerto; you can hear the strings, woodwinds, percussion, brass, everything.  I think of it as one of Tony's early ventures into the neo-Classical stuff he does now with a real orchestra.  Back then he had to do it all with synthesizers.

I agree, the middle section is basically all Tony but it is so beautiful.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1516 on: December 10, 2023, 10:50:35 AM »
Been digging a bit into Genesis following the Top 25 Artists thread. Currently listened to Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound and Duke.

Yea the 70s output is really solid and I'll definitely revisit some of these. My Dad was a big prog head, but he was never hugely into Genesis. He did lend me a copy of Foxtrot over 10 years ago though.

They are really quite similar to Yes, but if anything I think I may prefer Genesis on what I've heard.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1517 on: December 10, 2023, 07:46:52 PM »
There's the obvious similarity in lineup structure, and they're both English and from basically the same time frame.  And a lot of high-quality prog output, of course, especially in the 70's.  But one important difference between the two bands was that Yes seemed to have a lot of focus on the individual musicians, whereas Genesis with its more stable lineup tended to emphasize the ensemble and the composition more.  They each had their moments to shine, but to me it still felt like the song itself came first.  With Yes, I think it was either Bruford or Squire who said that it seemed like a contest to see who could play the most notes per minute.  There's a lot of showboating in Yes.  I'm okay with that; I like hearing the guys push each other.  But I also like the focus on composition that Genesis had.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1518 on: December 10, 2023, 08:13:10 PM »
Yeah, I think Genesis had the more mature compositions and Yes had the more extreme instrumentalists.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1519 on: December 11, 2023, 05:40:01 PM »
I'll take your word for it. ;)

Back to the good stuff, I have been checking out some of their b-sides/non album tracks lately that I had previous never heard.  Some good stuff in there. Paperlate feels like a song I had to have heard somewhere, but I cannot imagine where that would have been.

Stone cold classic. but then anything from '76 to '83 is in my Genesis wheelhouse. Love everything from that period.

Yeah, the consistency in that era as something else.  A Trick of the Tail and Duke are two albums I can turn on and never think about hitting skip over any song, which I cannot say about any PG-era album, even my favorites like Selling England and The Lamb (More Fool Me and The Waiting Room can both go jump in a lake).

I could probably fill up a disc of the Gabriel years that I'd probably enjoy. And even then I'd take Collins singing it live over Gabriel.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1520 on: December 12, 2023, 07:59:29 AM »
Agreed on that.  I like Peter, but Phil just has the better voice to me.  It's funny how they sound somewhat similar on the early records in places.  To me, Phil really found his voice in the late 70's to mid 80's era.  I love listening to shows from that era.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1521 on: December 12, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »
Agreed on that.  I like Peter, but Phil just has the better voice to me.  It's funny how they sound somewhat similar on the early records in places.  To me, Phil really found his voice in the late 70's to mid 80's era.  I love listening to shows from that era.

I'm biased, and this was reflected on my "singers" list (he was 6) but I think Collins has a VERY underrated voice. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: January 17, 2024, 07:54:21 AM »
The new Steve Hackett album is available for review.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1523 on: January 18, 2024, 07:57:39 PM »