Author Topic: Steve Vai - Finally off the deep end?!?  (Read 10476 times)

Offline cfmoran13

Steve Vai - Finally off the deep end?!?
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »
I know that Steve Vai is a pretty phenomenal guitarist and all.  But, what the hell was he thinking when he put together that "all-star" collaboration to remake (of all songs) "Stairway To Heaven"?!?  I mean, Holy Cow!!!  Mary J Blige singing Zeppelin?!?  I just got finished watching the Youtube clip of them performing on American Idol.  What an absolute abomination!  If you're gonna tread on sacred ground, you better not f*ck it up.  I've never been a fan of MJB or any of that other "R&B" cr*p.  It's mainly just vocal masturbation with all the annoying vocal runs runs and improvisation they do.  And, this performance certainly did nothing to change my opinion of her.  That performance was just one big turd!

Offline Pyroph

Re: Steve Vai - Finally off the deep end?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:03:52 AM »
Well, the first 3 minutes were okay. And there was a lot more wrong with it than just her. Those guitar soloes were awful.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
I love when people get heated over a cover song, who cares. They did it, you don't like it, cool story bro.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
I enjoyed it. 

And what do you mean, "what was he thinking?"  He's a professional musician.  It was a gig.  That's what he does.  Especially on a show with as many viewers as AI.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
I think Orianthi should be grateful to even have had the opportunity to share a stage with Steve Vai.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
I think Orianthi should be grateful to even have had the opportunity to share a stage with Steve Vai.
Granted her album is pop, but she's a pretty good guitarist.  And, she's played with a lot of music heavys - Carlos Santana, Steve Vai (at age 15), Prince, Michael Jackson.  You gotta give her some props.  She's way better than your average bubble gum teeny-bopper chic.

And, you're right, Pyroph.  The solos were pretty bad.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Not that she isn't good, didn't mean it that way, but my brain keeps going back to "It's Steve fucking Vai".  In my mind, an absolute legend.  So yeah, that was more of it that "Hey this guy's a legend and though you're good and all, be grateful you have this moment."

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
Even thought STH on Idol was terrible, no remake will ever be as bad as S. Crow doing Sweet Child O' Mine.   Would rather listed to fingernails on a chalkboard.

IMO, no SV record has been/will be better than Passion and Warfare.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
IMO, no SV record has been/will be better than Passion and Warfare.

Truer words were never spoken.  Passion and Warfare is an absolute masterpiece.

Offline elyster

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Even thought STH on Idol was terrible, no remake will ever be as bad as S. Crow doing Sweet Child O' Mine.   Would rather listed to fingernails on a chalkboard.

Apparently you have yet to hear Celine Dion sing Shook Me All Night Long.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
Oh my god, I'd forgotten all about that.  She really shit the bed on that one.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 04:14:15 PM »
I haven't seen it so I have no idea (Steve Vai on American idol??) but guys, it's fucking Stairway to Heaven. Do you have any idea how many millions of times that song has been badly covered?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 05:19:48 PM »
Not a fan of Bilge at all, she strayed too much from the melody. Vai was definetely the backbone, even though he let Orianthi do the solo.  She's good in her own right, but she was lost and resulted to improvised generic licks just to make it through the end.  Vai's leads and bends at the end gave me images of the original which was cool, but overall, not that impressive.  Randy was solid on the bass.  The key changed up like a 4th or 5th didn't do the song any covers either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Anyone ever see old footage of RJ playing bass for Journey?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Yep.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
Saw it earlier. Just horrible. They edited the HELL out of it. The only good part was the final awesome heavy part. Everything else was terrible. Just terrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »

Look imma letchoo finish and all but Limp Bizkit had the worst cover ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJ-vQ-Ud9c
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
Yep.  :tup

Yeah, super awesome.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 11:32:12 PM »

Look imma letchoo finish and all but Limp Bizkit had the worst cover ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJ-vQ-Ud9c

Okay, the second I saw Fred Durst looking like that with his shirt off I had to turn it off. I've heard the song and ugh. I thought you were going to say '"Faith," but that one wasn't so bad. I loved it when I was 13 :D

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:53:10 AM »
That Limp Bizkit cover is not that bad. I say Snoop Dogg 'singing' sad but true. :)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
That Limp Bizkit cover is not that bad. I say Snoop Dogg 'singing' sad but true. :)

https://www.miracle-ear.com/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 06:14:53 AM »
Yes. Yes, he is.  :omg:

Teeth of the Hydra

I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 07:00:14 AM »
haha wtf is this thread :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »
The fact that this question is being asked so late in the game makes me think a lot of people haven't actually seen the video for For the Love of God. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 12:06:17 PM »
The fact that this question is being asked so late in the game makes me think a lot of people haven't actually seen the video for For the Love of God.
:biggrin:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 01:48:51 PM »

Teeth of the Hydra
Cool tune! I haven't followed Vai's output for a super long time, but I dig that track! Pretty neat to see him put that triple neck to good use!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 02:30:32 AM »

Teeth of the Hydra
Cool tune! I haven't followed Vai's output for a super long time, but I dig that track! Pretty neat to see him put that triple neck to good use!

Technically four. There’s @ set of harp strings too 😳😱

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 02:48:26 AM »
I just got Inviolate, and all I can say is... wow! I didn't you could do those things and make those kind of melodic lines on guitars. :hefdaddy

Oh yeah, and I've watched the video of Teeth of the Hydra... man, Vai is a mad musical scientist.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »

Indeed. Jamming the spoken word ending from Liberty onto the end of the FTLOG video instead of the original ending was odd.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2022, 06:27:56 PM »
Anyone familiar with his first solo album Flex-Able? Blind-bought it because I loved his new album but based on what I’ve heard about it and the song I listened to from it (Little Green Men) that might have been a mistake. Anyone likes it?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:45:57 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2022, 07:48:52 PM »
Anyone familiar with his first solo album Flex-Able? Blind-bought it because I loved his new album but based on what I’ve heard about it and the song I listened to from it (Little Green Men) that might have been a mistake. Anyone likes it?

I prefer Flex-Able Leftovers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bentower

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2022, 03:54:56 AM »

I haven't listened to it much, simply because nothing kept me coming back. The Attitude Song is definitely cool, but later versions like the one on the first G3 live album eclipse the studio version. I don't think Vai had hit his stride at that point. It would take him a few years of further honing his craft for it to come to fruition, culminating with that amazing flexi disc recording of Blue Powder in ´86. That was actually when he peaked as a player IMO, with great tone and technique and a ton of character.

I assume you're familiar with Passion and Warfare and subsequent albums?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:41:07 AM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »

I haven't listened to it much, simply because nothing kept me coming back. The Attitude Song is definitely cool, but later versions like the one on the first G3 live album eclipse the studio version. I don't think Vai had hit his stride at that point. It would take him a few years of further honing his craft for it to come to fruition, culminating with that amazing flexi disc recording of Blue Powder in ´86. That was actually when he peaked as a player IMO, with great tone and technique and a ton of character.

I’ve got the original vinyl - the first released in th uk anyway. I gave the remaster a listen a few days ago. There’s a load of Zappa in it and I can’t say I really enjoy much of it. There are some good tracks though.

I had P&W on in the car a few days ago, and was trying to explain to my son wtf we were listening to 😁😁

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2022, 10:00:34 PM »

Finally listened to it. I like it but it’s not great. I don’t think I’ll be coming back to it often.

I’m familiar with a few popular Vai tracks but the only full albums I’ve listened to are his first and last. I loved his last so I’m definitely gonna check out some of his other albums like P&W.