Author Topic: Tori Amos  (Read 9840 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Tori Amos
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Ribbons Undone....just wow.    But as a whole, I thought The Beekeeper was a disappointing follow up to Scarlet's Walk (which I thought was her best album since Little Earthquakes...and that's saying A LOT!)   Then I just couldn't get into American Doll Posse.   And now I just havn't heard the last two albums at all.

I'm extremely "on again/off again" when it's comes to her stuff.  I was working in a CD shop when Little Earthquakes came out, and it completely hit me like a brick.  (in a good way)   It was just so different from anything I was listening to at the time.   I immediately developed a HUGE crush, and ran out and bought any single I could get my hands on and listened to it constantly.   Waited with baited breath for Under the Pink...which was almost as good, but had a couple of skip tracks.   Then she just flat out LOST me on Boys for Pele.   I've thought about re-visiting that album though.  I'm a bit more open to weird stuff now than I was then...but that album just seemed so out of left field for her.   I worked at a different CD shop later on when TftCH came out.  I thought it was ok....better than BfP, but nothing grabbed me and I just figured that I wasn't into it anymore.

Somehow, somewhere along the line.  Something got me curious to check out soundbites when Scarlet's Walk came out.   Maybe it was just the right album at the right time...but I fell in love with Tori all over again.     Now...not so much.    Maybe I just really like her style, but tire of it very quickly.    She's definitely one of those women that manage to be incredibly sexy without necessarily being all that attractive.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 08:00:51 AM »
I've actually worked my way through her discography in a somewhat chronological way, I started with Little Earthquakes and moved on with each studio-album, giving all a fair chance, somewhere around ~10 plays for each album.
Not long ago her new album came out, so I sorta messed up my chronological discovery by listening to it, but I really loved it, so that sorta makes up for it.
I've heard all her studio-albums except American Doll Posse, Abnormally Attracted to Sin and Midwinter Graces, but hopefully I'll get through them in a good timing, so that Midwinter Graces will be played near Christmas, seeing as it's apparently a Wintery-album.

Ranking-wise it's very hard for me to rank her albums, because I think she has very high low-points, and many high-points, and her discography so far is just amazing.
From the Choirgirl Hotel is most likely my favorite album of hers, but when I think about it, Under the Pink, Little Earthquakes, Boys For Pele and To Venus and Back are really not far behind at all, those are some fantastic albums as well.

Scarlet's Walk would be slightly lower then these. While I do love it, and the concept, I don't think that it's AS strong as these other albums, there are a few songs that, while not being particularly bad or anything, there is a few places on the album where there are a few of these songs in a row, which sorta makes me loose the attention for a bit.
SW does have my favorite Tori song though, "I Can't See New York", which is simply fantastic.
I would also rank her latest album about equal to SW in terms of being just slightly lower then the others I mentioned earlier, I think the highs on her new album are equal to her highs in the past, Star Whisperer in particularly, but again just minor complaints really.

Strange Little Girls and The Beekeeper would be slightly lower again.
While I don't dislike these albums, again, they just aren't AS good to me as the other's I've mentioned.
I would actually like to praise The Beekeeper a bit, I think it get's a lot of bashing all the time, but I really don't think it's as bad as people point it out to be.
I would say that most of TBK is some pretty good songs, with just a few being "decent", but my only issue with it would be that it's strongest points aren't as strong as her other strong-points, if that makes sense.
I really do like most of TBK, but there aren't any particular standout songs for me, perhaps "Martha's Foolish Ginger".
Strange Little Girls has some really good covers and some interesting ones, but personally I'm not much of a cover-person, so that kinda explains my ranking of it.
I do appreciate a good cover, but a full album of covers isn't as interesting. On the plus-side though, Tori does make her own versions very unique, and it does sound more like a "new" album, then a cover-album.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
I just started to listen to Night of Hunters. Does this album represent her sound very well? I haven't really heard anything else. I'm liking it a lot thus far though.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
I just started to listen to Night of Hunters. Does this album represent her sound very well? I haven't really heard anything else. I'm liking it a lot thus far though.

Glad that you are liking it, one of my favorites of 2011 for sure! :)
I wouldn't say that it's typical for her sound, because it's a lot more "Classic Music" then her other albums, so in comparison, many of her other albums are more simple, singer-songwriter ish, then classic.
If you do love it however, there's really nothing stopping you from checking her four classic albums (Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, Boys For Pele and From the Choirgirl Hotel), and maybe more after that if you like it. :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:04 AM »
Bump because thread deserves more attention.

I'm really tempted to buy the pink vinyl of "Under the Pink", it looks pretty cool. I must say that "Flying Dutchman" and "Upside Down" are two amazing B-Sides, and it's really a shame that they didn't end up on "Little Earthquakes". Nowadays I don't listen to that album very much, but instead I listen to the full version of it, aka. the first CD in A Piano - The Collection. (It's the full length version of Little Earthquakes, with B-Sides)

I haven't listened to Tori in a few months now, but since the summer is coming I feel an urge to spin her albums again. I discovered her last summer, so I guess she will always be connected to that time period for me. :)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 06:38:22 AM »
Tori is great during the summer! I'm just heading into winter so its kinda the opposite for me :p

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
Coincidentally, I've been listening to her a lot this week as well.

I seem to go through a period every now and then during which Tori's music is the only thing I want to listen to.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
Quote from: Tori Amos
Really exciting news! Tori is releasing a new album entitled ‘Gold Dust’ set for release in October.
Tori has re-imagined a personally hand-picked collection of songs spanning her entire catalogue for her thirteenth studio album. It features re-workings of songs in orchestral settings, which Tori produced in the studio with the Metropole Orchestra conducted by Jules Buckley with arrangements by John Philip Shenale

Tori will also be doing a very limited number of orchestral shows in the US and Europe around the release. Click here for tour date info! www.toriamos.com

I am really excited for this. :)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 05:22:15 AM »
I can't stop listening to Yes, Anastasia, it's been in my head for over a month now   :|

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
I can't stop listening to Yes, Anastasia, it's been in my head for over a month now   :|

It's an awesome song!  :hefdaddy

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2015, 06:24:05 AM »
Bump.

Dunno if anyone else has seen this, but she's remastered Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink.

The sound on the remasters is, by my reckoning, absolutely incredible. I didn't hear these albums until about 2003 or 4, and the production on those early albums has always sounded a bit dated to me. Without overmodernising them, they now sound so crisp and clear and just damn good.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 01:29:48 AM »
I was a big fan of hers when she first started putting out CDs, but lost interest after From The Choirgirl Hotel came out.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:19 AM »
I was a big fan of hers when she first started putting out CDs, but lost interest after From The Choirgirl Hotel came out.

I don't like most of her post-Under the Pink output...   But Scarlet's Walk was a BIG return to form in my book.   That album is brilliant. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
I would say everything up to (and including) To Venus and Back was awesome. After that she has had some hits and misses, but each album has songs I enjoy.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »

I don't like most of her post-Under the Pink output...   But Scarlet's Walk was a BIG return to form in my book.   That album is brilliant.

Maybe I'll check that one out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »
I only got as far as Choirgirl Hotel, though I'm listening to her quite a bit again and I think I'll explore further.

Boys For Pele was my first of her albums, and is probably still my favourite. There's a wee bit of stuff on there that's not amazing, but of all twenty songs, none are actually bad, and the best are up there with her best on other albums. And all her other albums have a track or two I'm not so fond of.

After Scarlet's Walk definitely seems to be the point that more or less everyone agrees she wasn't putting out great albums anymore. I've heard minor rumblings that her past few (Night of Hunters and Unrepentant Geraldines) have been better than she's been in a while though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
Night of Hunters is definitely a great one, and I'd say the best one she has put out in the last 10 years. I think overall, even the worst 00-albums like The Beekeeper or American Doll Posse still have some nice songs. I don't consider either to be bad albums, just kinda average. There's fewer standout tracks and the overall quality is lower, but it's still listenable IMO.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:49 AM »
She strikes me as a good enough songwriter that even if she put out a bad/average album, she'd be incapable of not getting at least one or two great songs on there.

I intend to approach those albums of hers like lesser Dylan albums. I know they're supposedly not great albums, so if I like even half of what's on there, I'll be happy.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »
She has always been hit and miss with me. Her best songs are absolutely amazing though - Winter, angel, precious things and silent all these years are great!

I loved her 1st 3 albums and I bought a few after that on the release dates but they weren't the same.  The songs were not catching me anymore like on Little Earthquakes or Under the Pink.

Any of her recent work up to the same quality as the old stuff?  I stopped getting her CDs after a few meh ones

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
I love the Choirgirl Hotel album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »
I love the Choirgirl Hotel album.

Her best one!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
 :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 12:22:53 AM »
Bump.

I finally got around to checking out a bit more music of hers.

To Venus and Back (the studio disc) is really not good. I've listened to it three times and not a single song has jumped out at me. There's nothing glaringly terrible about any song on there, it has basically the same vibe as Choirgirl, but I'm bored of the album by halfway because nothing strikes a chord.

I also got a live album of her performances at Montreux Jazz Festival in 91 and 92, all solo piano. There are some pretty neat performances on there.

And I went through a bunch of her (according to her fanbase) better B-Sides on youtube. Sirens, Mountain, Apollo's Frock, Garlands, Ruby Through the Looking Glass. She's as bad as Bob Dylan is about leaving astounding songs off of her albums.

Calvin6s

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »
Her first few albums had me listening quite frequently.  But I seemed to listen less and less with the new albums, and then I didn't even feel an urge to listen to the first ones to the point where I almost never listen to her any more.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:23 AM »
I don't think she ever topped Little Earthquakes.    But Scarlet's Walk is a freakin AMAZING latter day album that is overlooked by many.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 01:22:13 AM »
Still haven't gotten as far as that one. It'll be the next studio album of hers I check out now.

(Scarlet's Walk, I mean).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:02 AM »
I actually like To Venus and Back quite a bit. Not AS good as Choirgirl, but with songs like Dātura, Spring Haze, Concertina and Bliss. I don't love all of Scarlet's Walk, but it has probably my favorite Tori-song in "I Can't See New York", so there's that.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2016, 09:12:54 AM »
I'm not a fan of Venus.

I think her most recent album is her best since Scarlet.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »
I liked her newest album but it wasn't better than Abnormally Attracted to Sin, and definitely not Night of Hunters IMO. I think the main problem nowadays (since Scarlet really) is that she still puts out really long albums with many songs, and there's always a fair chunk that feels like filler. With an album like Night of Hunters, it at least felt consistent to the idea and different sound, and the whole album was a nice homage to the more classic music that influenced her.

Overall I'd rate her albums:

From the Choirgirl Hotel
Under the Pink
Little Earthquakes
Boys For Pele
To Venus and Back
Scarlet's Walk
Night of Hunters
Abnormally Attracted to Sin
Unrepentant Geraldines
American Doll Posse
Strange Little Girls
The Beekeeper
Gold Dust
Midwinter Graces

LE and UtP are interchangable, but I'll give the slight edge to UtP. I might bump up LE if we were talking about the full extended version of it, that appears as CD1 on the "A Piano" collection. Funny enough, the best songs IMO were the ones that were cut from the album and only appeared on the full version of it, Upside Down & Flying Dutchman especially. I will say that as much as I like LE, I still think Crucify and Me and a Gun brings it down for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »
Oh wow....Me and a Gun is one of the most amazing things ever.   The only reason I don't listen to it very often is because it is simply *too* emotionally eviscerating.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »
I might add that acapella is one of the cringiest things I know, so it's really not so much a problem with that song but the fact that there's no music behind it.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
Oh wow....Me and a Gun is one of the most amazing things ever.   The only reason I don't listen to it very often is because it is simply *too* emotionally eviscerating.

Look at the OP... Turns out that was one of the last times she's performed it live, I think she only did it a few times in South Africa since then. And that was 9 years ago.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »
I only like her first 3 albums.  For years I would buy every album at release until I finally gave up.  Is any of her newer music reminiscent of the old?  Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink were masterpieces.  Nothing after Boys for Pele caught me.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
I only like her first 3 albums.  For years I would buy every album at release until I finally gave up.  Is any of her newer music reminiscent of the old?  Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink were masterpieces.  Nothing after Boys for Pele caught me.

There are songs off of the newer albums  that are very similar to the old, but there really isn't an album that sounds exactly like little earthquakes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
I love Tori Amos.

I hold Under the Pink very close to my heart.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing