Author Topic: Live in Bucharest DVD  (Read 8964 times)

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
Live in Bucharest DVD
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
So tell me a bit about it. Is it worth getting?

Factors for consideration:
-Audio quality
-Video quality
-Setlist
-Overall performance
-any other factors you can think of are welcome

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Live in Bucharest DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Performance is on the level of Scenes from a Memory.

Audio is good, video is iffy. Sometimes it's great, other times it's bad, but mostly it's better than the worst CiM had to offer.

Bonus disc is great, too.

I'd recommend you get this as your first Official Bootleg DVD, unless you like Pink Floyd a lot.

Offline metalandi

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
I have it, but i only recommend it if you at least already have one of the "really official" DVD's. the video quality is pretty good for a TV broadcast what it was, and the setlist is great, aswell as the performance..but what really bothers me is the sound quality..it could be much better. MP and JP did some remastering ont he Santiago 05 DVD that made it sound a lot better than the original broadcast, but it seems bucharest has just been left as it was. The guitar almost isn't hearable at least in the beginning, and the whole recording misses some power IMO.

oh and yeah, the bonus DVD is awesome, i like the backstage documentary.

So in the end, yes i'd recommend it, if it isn't your first DT dvd.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
I would say it's one of the better live bootlegs available.  It's worth it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
-Audio and video are good.  Keep in mind it was shot for a TV broadcast and you'll be fine.  Cinematically and audio-wise, it isn't the same as a DT-produced concert DVD.  But still good.  Since it was professionally shot, it's almost misleading to call it a "bootleg"--it is far beyond bootleg quality.

-Set:  A++

-Overall performance:  Very good.  Toward the end of Six Degrees, James is noticeably starting to tire.  I mean, he doesn't miss bad like on 5YIALT, but you can tell he's getting worn down.  That's really my only criticism, and it's actually just an observation rather than a criticism.

Misc. and overall recommendation:  Really good DVD.  The bonus concert footage isn't as good a performance, but it's bonus material--still very cool and adds to the overall package.  Unless you don't like the set at all, you should like the DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
Definitely. The only (I think...) great release of my favorite DT tour is a must. James is actually pretty good in the first half, but tires in the second part of the concert, as bosky said. Nevertheless, it's an enormous set with lots of surprises (and an amazing live version of Scarred too!)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
Well that settles it. I'm getting it. Thanks for all the insight  :tup

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
-Audio and video are good.  Keep in mind it was shot for a TV broadcast and you'll be fine.  Cinematically and audio-wise, it isn't the same as a DT-produced concert DVD.  But still good.  Since it was professionally shot, it's almost misleading to call it a "bootleg"--it is far beyond bootleg quality.

-Set:  A++

-Overall performance:  Very good.  Toward the end of Six Degrees, James is noticeably starting to tire.  I mean, he doesn't miss bad like on 5YIALT, but you can tell he's getting worn down.  That's really my only criticism, and it's actually just an observation rather than a criticism.

Misc. and overall recommendation:  Really good DVD.  The bonus concert footage isn't as good a performance, but it's bonus material--still very cool and adds to the overall package.  Unless you don't like the set at all, you should like the DVD.
I don't remember what you said about James, but overall that's exactly the impression I had. Quality is not like official DT DVDs but still ok, and the set is absolutely amazing. One little complaint I had myself, though - the camera is sometimes a bit weird. I remember in the beginning JP is almost not shown, and later he's almost all the time - things like that.

But these are really details, it's definitely worth getting.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:43:23 AM »
Yes, camera angles are my only complaint, otherwise awesome DVD  :tup . Bonus disk is great also.

Offline jmarkwilson

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »
Is this where JLB falls over during Scarred?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
He falls in Another Hand/The Killing Hand.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
I hope the next batch of Ytsejam releases include more dvd's especially if its one of the I & W Anniversary shows.

Offline metalandi

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
i'm not so sure these (the first bunch of 2007 shows) were filmed..

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:40 AM »
All the shows are filmed for the video screen. That's how we got chaos in motion.

Offline metalandi

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »
i know that, but weren't the first 2007 shows without a screen?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
Some of those shows were filmed but not by DT's means.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
Got this a while back and am pretty happy with it.  Sure, it is a bit raw, but that is part of its charm.  And it is nice to see John Myung quite a bit for once. :lol  And having not bought Score or Chaos in Motion, I am happy to finally have the following on a live DVD:

"The Glass Prison"
"Another Hand/The Killing Hand"
"Lines in the Sand"
"The Great Debate"
"Scarred"
"Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" (even though I am not overly wild about this song as a whole, I am still happy to get an orchestra-free live version of it)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »
Go buy score. Ignore Chaos in Motion if you so choose, but buy score.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
I didn't ignore CiM; I saw it at my brother's last year, and that was all I needed to see.  JLB's bad vocals made me not waste my money on it.  I was bummed, too, as it would have been cool to get "Scarred," "Lines in the Sand" and "Blind Faith," but not with vocals that bad.  Fortunately, all of them are on the Bucharest DVD ("Blind Faith" being an extra on the bonus disc).

I doubt I will ever buy Score.  The set list looks weak, and there isn't anything on there I feel I really need.  With Live in Tokyo, 5 Years in a Livetime, Live Scenes, When Dream and Day Reunite and Bucharest, I feel I have almost everything I need for now.  The only songs I am really missing from the first six albums that I wish I had live versions of are "Misunderstood" and "Trial of Tears," as well as some of the Awake songs, but oh well, you can't have everything.  

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
Score gives you a great performance and gives you Innocence Faded, Raise The Knife and an amazing rendition of Metropolis.

It's worth it, despite the bore that is 6doit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting those songs, but I am not gonna buy a live DVD for just a few songs, when most of the other songs are ones I already have or don't really care that much about having live versions of.  

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »
Your mother.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
You make a strong case. :p :lol :biggrin:

But really, I am a bit conservative with live DVDs I buy nowadays.  I don't just buy any live DVD by any band I like.  I already have five by DT, which is more than enough for now. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »
Only thing I don't like about this show is the horrible director, worst among all DT proshots, I think it's because it was shot by a Romanian TV station.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
I didn't ignore CiM; I saw it at my brother's last year, and that was all I needed to see.  JLB's bad vocals made me not waste my money on it.  I was bummed, too, as it would have been cool to get "Scarred," "Lines in the Sand" and "Blind Faith," but not with vocals that bad.  Fortunately, all of them are on the Bucharest DVD ("Blind Faith" being an extra on the bonus disc).

I doubt I will ever buy Score.  The set list looks weak, and there isn't anything on there I feel I really need.  With Live in Tokyo, 5 Years in a Livetime, Live Scenes, When Dream and Day Reunite and Bucharest, I feel I have almost everything I need for now.  The only songs I am really missing from the first six albums that I wish I had live versions of are "Misunderstood" and "Trial of Tears," as well as some of the Awake songs, but oh well, you can't have everything.  

How about Budokan? Absolutely pristine sound.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »
Bucharest is the best them.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:47:21 AM »
I used to own Live at Budokan, but I don't anymore.  Yes, it was well-shot and all that jazz, but I never watched it.  I always found myself going for one of their other DVDs, if I was in the mood for live DT to watch. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »
Buy it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:08 AM »
My favorite of the live DVDs.  Great setlist.  Tasteful talkbox work from JP.  Great version of LitS.  Encore version of Home is blistering.  Fantastic bonus content.  The only criticism I have, Metty nailed.  I can live without pristine A/V in a concert DVD, but DT has spoiled us with the editing of their other videos.  The Romanian dude didn't know the songs and it showed in how it was directed. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
Live in Budakon has Trial of Tears live. I bought this just for Blind Faith. JR's keyboard solo is absolutely amazing, wish his solos were like this more often instead of a big synth lead solo that's just like "yeah. you can play we know already."

Score is worth it for JLB's great vocals, but i love the way john plays the solo in The Spirit Carries On. It feels he put more emotion in it than on live scenes. sacrificed sons and Octavarium are amazing live
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
Bucharest is a great DVD however, on the Mexico bonus material the recycled footage of JP really gets on my nerves at one point in 2112 it looks as if he is in two places at once (speaking 'attention all planets' and playing near the drums at the same time  :facepalm:).

Mind you, you never know with JP maybe he has mastered being in two places at once ::)

Matt

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 07:15:53 AM »
Bucharest is a great DVD however, on the Mexico bonus material the recycled footage of JP really gets on my nerves at one point in 2112 it looks as if he is in two places at once (speaking 'attention all planets' and playing near the drums at the same time  :facepalm:).

Mind you, you never know with JP maybe he has mastered being in two places at once ::)

Matt

Yes, bad editing, but has anyone noticed that the sound quality is actually better on that bonus disk? JP's guitar especially is super-crunchy (check out BMS for example).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 07:24:01 AM »
What's cool about this video, taking into account the video quality, the size of the gear, and the setlist, is that I feel like I'm watching a Zeppelinesque concert.

I love watching MP on this DVD. He looks like he's having a party all to himself back there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:30 AM »
What's cool about this video, taking into account the video quality, the size of the gear, and the setlist, is that I feel like I'm watching a Zeppelinesque concert.

I love watching MP on this DVD. He looks like he's having a party all to himself back there.

This.  The reason my fav three DT DVDs are (in order) Bucharest, Santiago, and LSFNY is that they feel alive.  Budokan, and to a lesser extent Score, seem sterile and lifeless.  The two unofficials and Live Scenes are just rocking shows where you can see that everyone is having a blast.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 04:42:03 PM »
  Budokan, and to a lesser extent Score, seem sterile and lifeless.

I can't say that about Score, since I haven't seen it, but I agree about Budokan.  Yes, it is their most well-shot DVD from a technical standpoint, but it looks more like a documentary than a real concert.  Like you said, the feel and vibe of it is just very sterile.  

The only criticism I have, Metty nailed.  I can live without pristine A/V in a concert DVD, but DT has spoiled us with the editing of their other videos.  The Romanian dude didn't know the songs and it showed in how it was directed.  

I am not spoiled by the editing of their other videos.  In fact, while raw and a bit unfocused at times, this DVD benefits by the directors not knowing any better, meaning we got to see John Myung a lot more than we do on any of the "official" DT live DVDs.  The director must not have known that DT likes to barely show Myung on their videos. :lol