Author Topic: Bad Salad vocalist tryout, please spread the word!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline zolhof

Bad Salad vocalist tryout, please spread the word!
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:29:58 PM »
Hello my friends, my band Bad Salad is searching for an undiscorevered vocal talent to join the band.

We recorded a section of one of the songs (pre-production, not the real deal) to tryout vocalists around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_bg4HFr5M

Please spread the word and share this link with anyone you think might be interested (all details on how to apply in the "video description" on YT).

Thanks a lot for you help!!
César Zolhof<br />Korg Oasys 88, Kurzweil PC3x, V-Stand KS-V7, Furman PL-Plus, Yamaha HS-80M<br />www.youtube.com/zolhof

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Bad Salad vocalist tryout, please spread the word!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Sorry, I was actually looking to join a band, but I already found one named "Semi Decent Salad"

And as you can see, they're at least a little better than you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Man fuck you for having an awesome clip :lol

I came in here wanting to make fun of you because I thought Bad Salad was an awful band name but then I checked out the youtube clip and was floored. It sounds like Symphony X managed to get rid of any cheesiness they had and began writing songs where the instruments don't quite smother each other and allowed for a little breathing room so to speak. You guys are the real deal and PLEASE SEND ME A FUCKING PRIVATE MESSAGE WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR MUSIC AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE WITH OR WITHOUT VOCALS!

:metal

I also like how your drummer uses traditional grip as opposed to matched and doesn't hide behind double-bass pulses as much as most other drummers in this style.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:24:43 AM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
Yeah, my vocal talents are pretty undiscorevered, maybe I'll give you a call.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »
Okay, that was pretty cool.  :metal

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
 :omg: my mind was blown  :metal
gone

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:51:48 PM »
I'll be honest, at the beginning I thought you guys were just another DT soundalike band, but by the end I thought it was pretty awesome.
Good luck with finding a singer!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
I'll be honest, at the beginning I thought you guys were just another DT soundalike band, but by the end I thought it was pretty awesome.
Good luck with finding a singer!

Same here. I strongly suggest getting a singer that can sound vocally impressive without having the setbacks of typical progressive metal singers. By this I mean: use high notes only if necessary for emphasis instead of just for showing off, take it easy on the vibrato(some is good but using it on every long note gets very old), don't be too melodramatic/sappy(there's a big difference between being emotionally expressive and just trying to make it all about the singer), and finally, have balls. Russell Allen from Symphony X is one of the very few singers I've heard in the prog metal scene who have these "balls" as in being able to have strongly masculine vocal delivery.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:12:37 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
Everyone else seemed to like it so I checked it out.  I have to agree with everyone here and say I'm looking forward to hearing more, especially when you get things finalized.  Only thing I don't like is the band name, but that's really not a big deal.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
wow, great song...wish I could sing

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:31:22 AM »
WOW, that clip is awesome. Gonna subscribe so I can hear when you release something. I would love to get a copy of your debut album, you sound amazing. Like black_floyd said, you kinda sound like SX with a lot of the cheesiness removed... this is exactly what I wanna be listening to right now.

I can't sing btw, and I'm not in Brazil, good luck finding a good enough vocalist to complete the band!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 07:39:08 AM »
I just watched your Metropolis Pt 1 cover too, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I'm drooling.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
I knew I recognized your bassist. Yea, you guys sound great.

But seriously...bad salad?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »

Perhaps it's a play on words like "sad ballad". Still doesn't make any sense, but it sure is fun to switch letters.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »

Perhaps it's a play on words like "sad ballad". Still doesn't make any sense, but it sure is fun to switch letters.

Agreed. With a name like "Bad Salad" I'd be looking to toss it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
I remember this guy now! You're the one who posted the awesome video of the Metropolis cover with the guy who used to sing in his car?
gone

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
I remember this guy now! You're the one who posted the awesome video of the Metropolis cover with the guy who used to sing in his car?

chknptpie's bf?

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »

Unintentional pun?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »

Unintentional pun?

No, I am that sly and immature...we'll figure out the ratio between the two at a later time.

Here's me in unintentional lolz mode: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=12233.msg402306#msg402306
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:03:25 PM by black_floyd »

Offline zolhof

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
Thanks for your feedback guys!

Our name is a love or hate thing, just hope that it becomes related to something good when the album is released :)

We already received some pretty cool vocal entries, we're very optimist!
César Zolhof<br />Korg Oasys 88, Kurzweil PC3x, V-Stand KS-V7, Furman PL-Plus, Yamaha HS-80M<br />www.youtube.com/zolhof

Offline TheGlassPrison

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »
agree on basically everything said here.

the band is awesome, the name is sort of  :huh:

looking forward to listening to more of you guys when you get a vocalist.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:02 PM »
Aw MAN!!!  That was amazing.  Great job!

I would KILL to join you guys!  And I fit the criteria... I'm 27 and from Chicago... however I'm married with a baby on the way and I'm a teacher, so I can't really uproot.  I'm in a Gentle Giant tribute band... my vox would probably be too clean for you anyways :lol I do have a wide range.  But yeah it's a no go... but I'll keep an eye out on you guys because if you come to Chicago I would want to see you!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 06:01:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm patiently waiting for your first album...
gone