Author Topic: Tool. New album. Let the salivating begin.  (Read 24631 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Tool. New album. Let the salivating begin.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
Why exactly do some of you folks feel that the band (or any band) owes you something?  The sense of entitlement that some of you display is mind-boggling.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »
Why exactly do some of you folks feel that the band (or any band) owes you something?  The sense of entitlement that some of you display is mind-boggling.
I know.  I don't get it, either.

AEnima is great, Lateralus is fantastic.  And heck, I really like 10,000 Days as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
Last three posts:  :tup :tup :tup
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »
Er, Strawman much? No-one thinks that the band owe anyone anything. It's simply frustrating for a band to spend consistently long periods of time between albums, when compared to... well most other bands. That's all.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
Why exactly do some of you folks feel that the band (or any band) owes you something?  The sense of entitlement that some of you display is mind-boggling.
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but Maynard came to me personally in a dream and said he would deliver me a new album to ease my existential agony.

He also told me he's writing a one-act play called Yummy Yummy In My Tummy.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
In all honesty, judging by the pattern of how many excellent albums (all of them) they've had over mediocre albums (none of them), I will say that if this is what it takes to come up with music they have in the past, why change their methods? It seems to work every time.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
Because they could make more money and more music if they tried more frequently? I doubt it would be of any lesser quality. All I was saying in the first place is that its a shame that we have to wait for 5 years for the next album to come out, nothing more.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
Now someone needs to make the argument how making music should never be about the money, but the music itself.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
It's not like it takes 5 years for them to write the music, and they're not really touring more then other bands.
The reason they're slow, is because Maynard has several other side-projects (none of them really interesting), which he focuses on more then Tool it seems. :P

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
You guys think all their albums are connected and tell a story?

Undertow is a person who has reached the bottom of life, bottom of the barrel, they feel they need cleansing.
Aenema is the cleansing process of the mind looking inward into one's demons. In turn they open their eyes and have a spiritual awakening.
Lateralus, here they experience this awakening through confronting ones self. It's hard, they want to give up but patience is a virtue to pass this test, so they pass the test and becomes aware and in a way enlightened.
10,000 Days is this person looking at the world with a new outlook on life, a new pair of eyes, and sees the problems of this world and wonders why is the world like this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
Yeah, Octavarium is a concept album.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Uh, no. As famously stated on this forum, "every album is a concept album, you just have to over-analyze it enough."

I mean, I could see where you get those ideas, and some of them sound like they could be connected. But Hooker With A Penis is about a conflict with a fan, 10,000 Days is about Maynard's mother, Rosetta Stoned is about a dude who gets high and sees an alien who tells him about the end of the world, etc. :P

Offline LTE

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
I see Lateralus' general concept as seperating the mind from the body, and realizing the pantheistic connection between everything.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
^Yup it is. Which is why its spacey.
10,000 Days sounds more raw and back to Earth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »
It's all about the aliens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »
It's all about the aliens and Jesus.
Fix'd.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
Er, Strawman much? No-one thinks that the band owe anyone anything. It's simply frustrating for a band to spend consistently long periods of time between albums, when compared to... well most other bands. That's all.

When the word "gracious" gets busted out in this context, yes it is about entitlement and being owed something.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:15 AM »
Damn, so much complaining in this thread. Not every band can put out an album every year or make the ideal album for YOU.

And I would not start with Lateralus. Aenima got me into them...

I think the enormous time between albums complaint is totally valid. The dissenters aren't bitching for Tool not putting out an album every year but rather that since Undertow came out in '93 we've gotten 3 albums in 17 years.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 05:51:04 AM »

Quoted for truth, it is completely reasonable to expect more from your favourite bands. Expecially when their output has been just 3 albums in 17 years.

I'm not sure why people have been shut down in this thread for wanting more output and not being able to get into Aenima.

"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
This might just be a Tool fanboy answer (well, it definitely is) but it does sort of add to the whole air of mystery surrounding everything that Tool do, because their methods are so unorthodox and the waits for new material so long.

On another note, while Lateralus is probably my favourite Tool album/favourite album ever, on a purely song by song basis (excluding 'non-songs') Aenima is easily as good, if not maybe even better, in my opinion. Every single song on Aenima is near perfect, and it's maybe a bit more varied than Lateralus lyrically too.

Also, while I think 10,000 Days is a great collection of Tool songs, I don't think it's quite as great as being a Tool album. The appeal of Opiate through Lateralus to me is that they had this perfect flow and, more importantly, feel to them, that was unique to every release, that I don't quite think 10,000 Days managed to capture, at least for me. The track order also doesn't help, with the epic title track(s) being so close to the start of the album. So while I agree that 10,000 Days has some fantastic Tool songs (Vicarious, 10,000 Days, RIGHT IN TWO) Lateralus and Aenima, and even Undertow and Opiate just seem to have a more consistent and engaging flow, which is what I want from the new album.

[/Rant demonstrating Tool fans' pretentiousness]

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
it is completely reasonable to expect more from your favourite bands. Expecially when their output has been just 3 albums in 17 years.
If you know they've only put out 3 albums in 17 years, then by what definition of "reasonable" is it reasonable to expect more? 

It is certainly reasonable to want more, but it defies logic to expect more.

BTW, I like Tool, but I'm no die-hard fan or anything.  I'm speaking in general terms, not just Tool.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
it is completely reasonable to expect more from your favourite bands. Expecially when their output has been just 3 albums in 17 years.
If you know they've only put out 3 albums in 17 years, then by what definition of "reasonable" is it reasonable to expect more? 

It is certainly reasonable to want more, but it defies logic to expect more.

BTW, I like Tool, but I'm no die-hard fan or anything.  I'm speaking in general terms, not just Tool.

Thanks, Hef. This is exactly what I was going to say but didn't have the energy to type it out :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
I'd like that energy back now please.  I have entered the long dark teatime of the soul (i.e., sleepy at work).

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »
I don't find AEnima to be very memorable at all, it's imo their worst album, and can't be compared to 10k days or Lateralus.
I know a lot of people praise it, but i don't see why.
And "you haven't listened to it enough" won't make any sense either, because i've tried countless times. ;)

:heart
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
I don't find AEnima to be very memorable at all, it's imo their worst album, and can't be compared to 10k days or Lateralus.
I know a lot of people praise it, but i don't see why.
And "you haven't listened to it enough" won't make any sense either, because i've tried countless times. ;)

:heart

Huge, huge, huge disagree. Aenima is so different to Lateralus but almost as, if not as good as, it in my opinion. I would suggest listen to it more as it took FOREVER to grow on me, but fair enough if you have tried, I suppose it's just not for you.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »

Huge, huge, huge disagree. Aenima is so different to Lateralus but almost as, if not as good as, it in my opinion. I would suggest listen to it more as it took FOREVER to grow on me, but fair enough if you have tried, I suppose it's just not for you.

Well, personally i think its too weird for my taste. ;)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
As for the long wait between albums, one should also keep in mind that they tour a lot.  Certainly more than most bands.  Not only will they play fairly obscure places, but they'll play them multiple times.  While it might be 5 years between albums, you generally get two very long tours, then a shorter summer tour before they really hunker down for a while.  I'm pretty happy with 1 album and 3 concerts every 5 years.  I'm damn sure that the folks in Corpus Christie and Beaumont Tx appreciate their efforts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »

Aenima is weird??

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Aenima is probably their most straightforward :lol (and I mean that in a good way)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
As for the long wait between albums, one should also keep in mind that they tour a lot.  Certainly more than most bands.  Not only will they play fairly obscure places, but they'll play them multiple times.  While it might be 5 years between albums, you generally get two very long tours, then a shorter summer tour before they really hunker down for a while.  I'm pretty happy with 1 album and 3 concerts every 5 years.  I'm damn sure that the folks in Corpus Christie and Beaumont Tx appreciate their efforts.
They certainly don't in the UK. They played Glasgow, Manchester and London last tour (something like 2005). Very typical cities to play gigs in.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 02:19:27 AM »

Aenima is weird??

Uhm.. Die Eier von Satan is a good example of it.
When i think about it, Ænima has some great tracks, but overall i don't really like the 'filler'-tracks on the album, and i do have a small problem with the guitars/vocals on the cd, that from time-to-time sounds 'weird'.
Overall, i guess this album feels less progressive to me compared to Lateralus for example, and that is why i don't like it as much.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »

Aenima is weird??

Uhm.. Die Eier von Satan is a good example of it.
When i think about it, Ænima has some great tracks, but overall i don't really like the 'filler'-tracks on the album, and i do have a small problem with the guitars/vocals on the cd, that from time-to-time sounds 'weird'.
Overall, i guess this album feels less progressive to me compared to Lateralus for example, and that is why i don't like it as much.

The filler tracks are completely useless on Aenima but that is my only knock on the album. All the actual songs are great, if the fillers annoy you that much I would burn an album without them and listen to that or just skip them like I do.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2010, 04:26:23 AM »
Aenima is probably their most straightforward :lol (and I mean that in a good way)

Not more straightforward than Opiate or Undertow.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
Yeah, I agree.