Author Topic: Tool. New album. Let the salivating begin.  (Read 24980 times)

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Tool. New album. Let the salivating begin.
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
Source

Members of the band are still in the process of writing new material (three days a week), and with the latest leg of the “Puscifer” tour nearing completion, it shouldn’t be long before the dry-erase board is filled with a bewildering array of color-coded intros, progressions, agitatos, con sordinos, crescendos, diatonics, inversions, resolutions, transitions, variations, obbligatos, consonance, and endings – the arrangements that millions will attempt to down-load off the internet.

There ya go, guys.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline shadowfex

Re: Tool. New album. Let the salivating begin.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
I would really like someone to explain to me why they take so long to start working on their next album.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
Posted already elsewhere, but nice to have it at the top of its own thread.

I can't fucking wait, being the pseudo-intelligent misanthropic teenager that I am.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:47:39 PM »
Because they got lives outside of music. It's like a thing they do when they feel it's right.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LTE

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
Hoping for more spiritual, existentialist, and pantheistic themes like in Lateralus.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »
Because they got lives outside of music. It's like a thing they do when they feel it's right.

If you're making the kind of dough they are BECAUSE of music then it's kinda shitty to have that attitude about it. If the average Joe took that attitude about his job he'd end up homeless and probably starve to death.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »

If you're making the kind of dough they are BECAUSE of music then it's kinda shitty to have that attitude about it. If the average Joe took that attitude about his job he'd end up homeless and probably starve to death.

Absolutely this. It's poor work ethic and painful for fans.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »
It's not like Maynard was being lazy... he has a ton of projects he works/helps out on, not all related to music.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:47:47 AM »
It's not like Maynard was being lazy... he has a ton of projects he works/helps out on, not all related to music.

This. It's not like they just sit on their ass all day basking in their wealth, they're doing shit they enjoy. Expecting someone to only work on one thing just because it was their most successful project is ridiculous.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 12:56:39 AM »
:caffeine:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:15 AM »
i hope they release SOMETHING within the next 2 years.

they are one of my fav bands but i can get pretty impatient with them because they release an album every 5 years.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »

This. It's not like they just sit on their ass all day basking in their wealth, they're doing shit they enjoy. Expecting someone to only work on one thing just because it was their most successful project is ridiculous.

None of us can prove whether they spend their time efficiently or not but I can't think of any other band that releases such little material. Obviously i'm only complaining because I love the band so i'm sure you guys can understand the frustration.

I never said I expected them to only work on one project either I just get the impression they intentionally delay the releases of their albums, now that they've set the precedent, to add to the prestige of their upcoming releases.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:10 AM »

I'm not calling him lazy but rather suggesting that since Tool is obviously the main reason he has the comfort in his life to do what he wishes when he wishes that it'd be much more gracious to try and put out albums every two or three years which is far from asking all that much. Shit, DT has wayyyy more shit going on and manages to never even go a full three years between releases.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:15:17 AM »
I hope they decide to change their sound for this record.

That's right, I went there.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »

This

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 04:36:45 AM »
Posted already elsewhere, but nice to have it at the top of its own thread.

I can't fucking wait, being the pseudo-intelligent misanthropic teenager that I am.

Agree completely, not even ironically.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

This

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
Hopefully this album will be awesome.
I heard someone that said that 10 000 Days was made out of some riffs that had been played between songs on previous tours, and even though it doesn't bother me (since i discovered 10k days after it came out, and therefor didn't have to wait 5 years), i would feel really screwed over if it happend again.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »
Why?  The music has to come from somewhere.  Why does it matter whether inspiration hits in a rehearsal studio, a living room, or on stage?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
I'm guessing they'll either go back to the rawer sound of Opiate/Undertow, or go more ambient focused like a lot of 10K Days/APC stuff. But then it is Tool, so they could just do something completely random and awesome. This seems to be the make it or break it album, as although I loved 10K Days a lot seemed to see it as a failure.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 05:34:36 AM »
I'm guessing they'll either go back to the rawer sound of Opiate/Undertow, or go more ambient focused like a lot of 10K Days/APC stuff. But then it is Tool, so they could just do something completely random and awesome. This seems to be the make it or break it album, as although I loved 10K Days a lot seemed to see it as a failure.

It's not a failure but it is far inferior to Lateralus and Aenima.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:35:50 AM »
Why?  The music has to come from somewhere.  Why does it matter whether inspiration hits in a rehearsal studio, a living room, or on stage?
From a fan point of view, i don't think i would appreciate waiting 5 years for a new album, and then the album would consist of riffs i've already heard countless times.

Sound-wise, i do like 10 000 Days and it's production.
The drums make it sound really bad-ass. =D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
From a fan point of view, i don't think i would appreciate waiting 5 years for a new album, and then the album would consist of riffs i've already heard countless times.
If it's the best stuff they've come up with, why shouldn't they use it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
Wasn't the comment in the OP in the other Tool album speculation thread anyway? I've seen it before, anyway, and I could've sworn it was weeks ago, perhaps even longer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:38 AM »
In 10 000 days's case, it clearly wasn't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »
How do you know?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 08:27:56 AM »
How do you know?

Because Lateralus > 10 000 Days.  :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
How do you know?

Because Lateralus > 10 000 Days.  :biggrin:

That's entirely subjective. I happen to like 10,000 Days more.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
A little off topic, but if I want to give Tool a try, which album do I start with?

Offline LTE

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:58 AM »
A little off topic, but if I want to give Tool a try, which album do I start with?
Lateralus
And then Aenima
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
Lateralus

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
I wish they would an album up on spotify...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
Damn, so much complaining in this thread. Not every band can put out an album every year or make the ideal album for YOU.

And I would not start with Lateralus. Aenima got me into them...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:06 AM »
I don't find AEnima to be very memorable at all, it's imo their worst album, and can't be compared to 10k days or Lateralus.
I know a lot of people praise it, but i don't see why.
And "you haven't listened to it enough" won't make any sense either, because i've tried countless times. ;)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
How about because people are different and like different things?
I just happen to love it and it's probably my favorite.
That said, I did like 10k Days more after listening to it more.