Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 31873 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
Not so much.  I am not fond of much from either Lizard or In the Wake of Poseidon, and while I like Larks' Tongues in Aspic, I don't go bat shit over it like a lot of people do.  Oh, and Starless and Bible Black has its moments, but overall, I find it to be lacking, as well. 
I love Lizard, it's without a doubt my favorite King Crimson release. Although I adore ITCOTKC and Larks tongues almost equally. I'm not familiar with anything Crimson put out after Three of a perfect pair, but seeing how high you ranked The Power to believe, I'll definitely have to give it a spin sooner or later.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
30. Neal Morse

My thoughts on Neal Morse haven't changed much in recent years: I love his natural singing voice, and he has an uncanny knacks for combining progressive elements with very catchy melodies.  I think he has the tendency to repeat himself too much times, both from album to album and with reprises on the same album, but his somewhat heavy-handed religious lyrics do not bother me most of the time.  Love him or hate him, there is no denying his passion for music.  He puts everything he's got into all of his work.

Favorite albums: ?, Testimony and Neal Morse

Favorite songs: "Everything is Wrong," "The Storm Before the Calm," "12," "In the Fire," "Solid as the Sun," "Emma," "Somber Days," "Moving in My Heart," "Sleeping Jesus," "The Conclusion" and "Break of Day."

29. Spock's Beard

Ah, what could have been.  You can't help but wonder how the band's catalog would look right now had Neal Morse not left the band and they had continued on the roll they were on, having done their two best records right before he departed.  But, it is what it is, and we are still left with a pretty darn good catalog of music.  I have to admit that my interest is low for their new album, as they have gone downhill with each post-Neal release, IMO, but there is always hope that they will catch lightning in a bottle again.

Favorite albums: V, Snow and Beware of Darkness

Favorite songs: "The Light," "The Doorway," "At the End of the Day," "Waste Away," "Solitary Soul," "Wind at My Back," "Harm's Way," "East of Eden, West of Memphis," "Flow," "I Will Go," "The Great Nothing" and "Ghosts of Autumn."

28. Styx

A longtime favorite.  For a brief spell back in '90/'91, they were my 2nd favorite band.  I always loved their prog-lite approach...it was like they had the vibe and drama of prog, but never went overboard with the song structures or playing.  They just had tons of catchy songs, and the vocals...my god, the vocals.  Dennis DeYoung is hands down one of rock's best vocalists ever, Tommy Shaw has always been tremendous, and James Young could do the occasional good lead vocal.  Together, their harmonies were some of the best the rock genre has ever seen.  It is sad what has become of them in the last decade, with all of the animosity and whatnot, but that doesn't erase all of those good songs.

Favorite albums: The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Equinox

Favorite songs: "Crystal Ball," "Come Sail Away," "Queen of Spades," "Suite Madame Blue," "Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)," "Pieces of Eight," "One with Everything," "Dear John," "Mother Dear," "Man in the Wilderness" and "Renegade."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »
Ooooh, Spock's beard, great stuff!  :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »
Assuming Marillion makes your list, I would agree that SB is the weakest of the 4 mother bands of Transatlantic.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
Assuming Marillion makes your list, I would agree that SB is the weakest of the 4 mother bands of Transatlantic.

You are assuming wrong. ;)  Marillion wouldn't make my top 200. :lol :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »
Oh. =(
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »
I really tried to like them, and even gave Misplaced Childhood, Brave and Marbles all many chances, all at different times, but, except for a handful of songs, Marillion does nada for me. *shrugs*

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
I really tried to like them, and even gave Misplaced Childhood, Brave and Marbles all many chances, all at different times, but, except for a handful of songs, Marillion does nada for me. *shrugs*

Granted, they aren't much higher then Spock's Beard, and both would even be lower on my list then you placed SB, but I still like them.

EDIT: For some perspective, Neal Morse rates much higher than both for me.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »
I've been on a Styx kick of late so I'm happy to see them on the list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
EDIT: For some perspective, Neal Morse rates much higher than both for me.

Neal would have been much higher on my list five years ago.  Interestingly, when looking at my iTunes, which I started using about three years ago, the other day, I was shocked at how low the play count listens were for him.  I simply don't listen to him nearly as much as I used to.  ? has by far the most listens, and how few listens all of the songs on One have shocked me.  I loved that album when it came out, but I guess it hasn't aged well, otherwise I would listen to it more often.  All of the songs on it are under five listens each.  Not surprisingly, the Neal song with the most listens on my iTunes is "Everything is Wrong."  I love that song.  :coolio

I've been on a Styx kick of late so I'm happy to see them on the list.

:tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
27. Queensr˙che

Despite the debacle they have turned into lately, QR still makes it this high, merely on the strength of their material from '84-'94.  Rage for Order through Promised Land, in particular, is a helluva four-album run, and Warning is a good record, as well.  But, for me, it is all about Promised Land; that is hands down one of my 20 favorite records ever.  That is the album that made me go from "this band is pretty good" to "this band is damn good."

Favorite albums: Promised Land, Operation: Mindcrime and Empire

Favorite songs: "Anybody Listening?," "Suite Sister Mary," "Promised Land," "Lady Jane," "Out of Mind," "The Mission," "Screaming in Digital," "Empire," "Speak," "Damaged," "Someone Else?," "Eyes of a Stranger" and "I Dream in Infrared."

26. The Moody Blues

Another sort-of retired favorite, this is probably the "retired favorite" I listen to the most.  A great band to just chill out or relax to, the Moodies always seem to get unfairly overlooked when talking about the pioneers of progressive rock, but they were one of the first prog rock bands, and a terrific one at that.  Their first seven albums, all done in the span of six years (!!), collectively were a remarkable achievement.  Their more pop rock material from the late 70s and 80s produced some terrific songs, too, even if the overall consistency wasn't there as much.

Favorite albums: In Search of the Lost Chord, To Our Children's Children's Children and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

Favorite songs: "Legend of a Mind," "Ride My See Saw," "Gypsy," "Your Wildest Dreams," "Voices in the Sky," "Visions of Paradise," "Beyond," "I'm Just a Singer (in a Rock N' Roll Band)," "Question," "Have You Heard/The Voyage," "The Story in Your Eyes" and "Gemini Dream."

25. Frank Zappa

I wouldn't even know where to begin in describing Zappa's music.  Those who are familiar with at least a decent amount of his music will know what I am talking about.  I have only heard around 11 or 12 of his records, which is barely scratching the surface.  Odds are that I will never hear it all, but most of what I have heard, I like a lot.  A true musical genius in every sense of the word, Zappa was.

Favorite albums: Hot Rats, Apostrophe (') and The Grand Wazoo

Favorite songs: "Peaches en Regalia," ""Willie the Pimp," "Zoot Allures," "Penguin in Bondage," "Watermelon in Easter Hay," "Son of Mr. Green Genes," "Apostrophe'," "The Grand Wazoo," "St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast," "Father O'Blivion" and "Crew Slut."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
The Moody Blues :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
Excellent posting. <3 The Moodies.

Also :tup for "Speak," my favorite QR song.

Oh yea, Zappa is excellent too.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2010, 03:37:05 PM »
Just out of interest Kev, i'm pretty sure you're not a Christian, so how much do Neal's lyrics annoy you? I don't see them as too preachy, but I can't imagine anyone would go crazy for them... Maybe you liked them less in the beginning?

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Just out of interest Kev, i'm pretty sure you're not a Christian, so how much do Neal's lyrics annoy you? I don't see them as too preachy, but I can't imagine anyone would go crazy for them... Maybe you liked them less in the beginning?
They annoy the hell out of me  :\.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
They annoy the hell out of me  :\.

Then don't listen to him.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
I haven't heard any of Neal's solo stuff yet but his lyrics in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic are fine with me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »

Out of curiosity, why would you be sure I am not a Christian?  I am, in fact.

As for the lyrics, they are definitely not too preachy, especially when compared to worship music and stuff like that, but I can see why those who aren't religious would think they are.  I do wish Neal would be a little more diverse with his lyrics, but his religious lyrics generally do not bother me, except in a few isolated cases.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »

Out of curiosity, why would you be sure I am not a Christian?  I am, in fact.

As for the lyrics, they are definitely not too preachy, especially when compared to worship music and stuff like that, but I can see why those who aren't religious would think they are.  I do wish Neal would be a little more diverse with his lyrics, but his religious lyrics generally do not bother me, except in a few isolated cases.

Allow me to take a stab and say Sola Scriptura?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
Good stab.  The lyrical content and overall subject matter on that CD is a major turnoff.  The music was already a big drop-off from his usual greatness, the last song notwithstanding, and then it just gets dragged down ever further by the lyrics. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »
Good stab.  The lyrical content and overall subject matter on that CD is a major turnoff.  The music was already a big drop-off from his usual greatness, the last song notwithstanding, and then it just gets dragged down ever further by the lyrics. 

I'm guessing your Catholic?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »
I'm guessing your Catholic?

Well, yeah, but the turnoff is more about the album being centered around a well-known antisemite like Martin Luther (No, I am not Jewish :lol).  But I don't want this thread to turn into a religious discussion, so I digress.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
24. Death Cab for Cutie

My favorite discovery of the last two years, this is a band I could see continuing to climb up the ladder in the years to come.  Ben Gibbard has quickly become one of my three or four favorite lyricists; he has such a unique way of writing.  And their songs always manage to be catchy and infectious, even the mellow, melancholy ones, to go along with their upbeat ones.  The combination of their melodies and great lyrics results in absolutely wonderful music.

Favorite albums: Transatlanticism, The Photo Album and Plans

Favorite songs: "I Was a Kaleidoscope," "What Sarah Said," "Transatlanticism," "A Movie Script Ending," "My Mirror Speaks," "The New Year," "Brothers on a Hotel Bed," "Styrofoam Plates," "Crooked Teeth" and "Why You'd Want to Live Here."

23. Black Sabbath

The greatness of some bands go without saying..Black Sabbath is one of those bands.  Those first six albums...my goodness, if anyone who likes hard rock and/or metal can listen to those first six albums and not have their face melted many times, then they should have their man card revoked. :p  I am not overly wild about much after those first six albums, Heaven and Hell being the big exception, but those first six albums plus that one Dio record are more than enough to earn them this spot.

Favorite albums: Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Sabotage

Favorite songs: "War Pigs," "Fairies Wear Boots," "Sleeping Village/Warning," "Children of the Sea," "Under the Sun," "Black Sabbath," "Meglomania," "Wheels of Confusion," "Hand of Doom," "Solitude" and "Heaven and Hell."

22. Camel

Now we are talking great 70s prog, but without the excessive song arrangements or overblown solos.  Not that I mind either of those things, when done well, of course, but Camel managed to excel at producing terrific prog rock despite not having to rely on either of those traits.  I'll take their first four albums vs. those of just about any other band; those four albums really are that good.  While the consistency wasn't there after Moonmadness, they still managed to write plenty of great songs since.

Favorite albums: Moonmadness, Mirage and The Snow Goose

Favorite songs: "Another Night," "Lunar Sea," "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider," "Air Born," "Rhayader," "Supertwister," "Earthrise," "Ice," "Mystic Queen," "The Snow Goose," "Never Let Go" and "Lady Fantasy."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
Now there is variety!!  I love soaking in all different styles of music and now matter what, if it has a hook,  I'm in.

DCFC, hooks galore
BS-Riffs galore
Camel-- old prog with hooks

Can't wait to read more Kev.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
Nice to see Zappa, Death Cab and Camel. :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
<3 Death Cab

This list keeps getting better and better.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2010, 07:30:50 PM »
I don't remember hearing you talk about Sabbath before so I'm kind of surprised to see them up this high on the list.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »
Now there is variety!!  I love soaking in all different styles of music and now matter what, if it has a hook,  I'm in.

DCFC, hooks galore
BS-Riffs galore
Camel-- old prog with hooks

Can't wait to read more Kev.

Could not agree more (on what I bolded).  Good music is good music, regardless of genre.  And thanks! :)

Nice to see Zappa, Death Cab and Camel. :tup

:hat

This list keeps getting better and better.

That tends to happen when you count from 50 to 1. ;) :p :biggrin:

I don't remember hearing you talk about Sabbath before so I'm kind of surprised to see them up this high on the list.

Sabbath doesn't seem to get talked about that much in general around here.  Not sure why.  ???

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2010, 06:01:13 AM »
Not only did you list Sabbath, but you listed my three favourite albums of theirs.

This pleases me greatly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »
21. Judas Priest

The first metal band I really loved.  Even before I really got into metal, I liked a lot of Priest.  They are unique in that pretty much every Priest record has at least two or three Priest classics on it, even on their worst albums like Turbo and Ram It Down.  I finally saw them live last summer, and while Rob Halford's voice ain't what it used to be, it was still great to finally see them.

Favorite albums: Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance

Favorite songs: "Beyond the Realms of Death," "Sinner," "Desert Plains," "Victim of Changes," "Dream Deceiver/Deceiver," "Bloodstone," "The Rage," "The Ripper," "Run of the Mill," "A Touch of Evil" and "Before the Dawn."

20. Muse

Dramatic hard rock that you can sometimes dance to...talk about a great combination!  Muse is unique for me as they are one of the very few bands I saw while still in the honeymoon phase with.  I got into them in the summer of '06, and they were here in September '06, so I was still in that "going hog wild over this great new band I just discovered" phase when I saw them live.  Can't beat that.  And I will be seeing them again this November, which should be another treat, as they absolutely slay live.

Favorite albums: Black Holes and Revelations, Origin of Symmetry and Absolution

Favorite songs: "Take a Bow," "Map of the Problematique," "Space Dementia," "Butterflies & Hurricanes," "Stockholm Syndrome," "Knights of Cydonia," "Apocalypse Please," "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist," "Citizen Erased," "Darkshines," "I Belong to You" and "Bliss."

19. Transatlantic

How does a band with only three studio albums end up in the top 20?  By making three absolutely phenomenal records.  Check.  It is mind-bogglingly scary to think of how prolific and how great this band could be, if they went full-time.  It will never happen, but, oh man, just the thought of it can't help but make you smile.

Favorite albums: SMPTe, Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind

Favorite songs: "All of the Above," "My New World," "Stranger in Your Soul," "We All Need Some Light," "The Whirlwind," "Spinning" and "Duel with the Devil."  

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »
20. Muse

Dramatic hard rock that you can sometimes dance to...talk about a great combination!  Muse is unique for me as they are one of the very few bands I saw while still in the honeymoon phase with.  I got into them in the summer of '06, and they were here in September '06, so I was still in that "going hog wild over this great new band I just discovered" phase when I saw them live.  Can't beat that.  And I will be seeing them again this November, which should be another treat, as they absolutely slay live.
Curious then to know your opinion on Dream Theater's "Muse influence."  I'm sure the topic was discussed ad nauseam during the time of 8V and SC, but I wasn't on the boards yet at that point.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
I actually thought you would have Transatlantic ranked higher.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:40 PM »
I think Muse's influence on DT is more than obvious on a couple of songs, most notably "Never Enough," where the main riff is eerily similar to "Stockholm Syndrome"'s.

I couldn't rationalize putting TA any higher, given that they do only have three albums, and given how prolific pretty much all of the artists above them are.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
I don't really like Muse, but i can see the reason you have for putting them there.
Overall, interesting choices.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
I think Muse's influence on DT is more than obvious on a couple of songs, most notably "Never Enough," where the main riff is eerily similar to "Stockholm Syndrome"'s.
Right.  I was more getting at whether you liked the influence or not.  Obviously, PoW has that danceable hard rock vibe you described as a Muse trademark, and I know a lot of people have nothing good to say about that particular song (I like PoW, though, as well as NE).