Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 31876 times)

Online Mladen

Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »
Some great bands so far.  :tup

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Billy's one of my all-time faves  :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »
Strangely enough, from the list so far, Godspeed, Bowie, Billy Joel, and The Who are all on my to-check-out list, and dredg too, to an extent (I have Catch Without Arms, and I'm kinda iffy on it, but want to hear more at some point).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »
I might need to ask your opinion on Bowie. I've found that I really, really, really like Life on Mars, but I don't know much about the rest of his catalogue. How did you start to get into him? Is that a good-ish meter for the rest of his catalogue? That you've heard, natch.

Low, "Heroes", Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars were the most recommended records, so those are the ones I checked out.  I find the first two of those to be the best; the second two, despite having some terrific individual songs, are a bit uneven, although I admittedly haven't listened to both from start to finish in a while.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
Update...

38. Jethro Tull

You gotta love a rock band that features both a folksy sound and a flute.  That is major win right there.  Tull has always been one of those bands I go through a big phase with about once a year.  It usually lasts a week or two, and I always wonder why I don't listen to them more.  That has been my routine with them for nearly 20 years.  Kind of weird, but it is what it is.

Favorite albums: Aqualung and Songs from the Wood

Favorite songs: "Mother Goose," "The Whistler," "Heavy Horses," "Boureé," "Aqualung," "Farm on the Freeway," "Locomotive Breath," "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day" and "Cross-Eyed Mary."

37. The Police

My first favorite band ever.  Back in 1983, Synchronicity was the first vinyl I ever owned, and I played it to death.  And MTV always played some of their videos from previous records, so it was easy to be a fan.  Stewart Copeland is one of the best rock drummers ever.  And it is worth mentioning that I have always hated, and will always hate, "Roxanne"; what a terrible, terrible song.  But a band with this many good songs is allowed one stinker.

Favorite albums: Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine

Favorite songs: "Wrapped Around Your Finger," "Spirits in the Material World," "Walking on the Moon," "Synchronicity," "Synchronicity II," "Invisible Sun," "When the World is Running Down," "Walking in Your Footsteps" and "Murder by Numbers."

36. Triumph

Gotta love some straight-forward, kick ass hard rock.  Their peak was short (1979-1984) was short, but stellar, nonetheless.  Four of the five albums released in that span are damn good, with the other still being pretty good.  In the annals of rock guitarists, Rik Emmett is still the most criminally underrated; he is nothing short of outstanding, and his playing, while a bit showy, never sounded too showy, if you know what I mean.

Favorite albums: Allied Forces and Thunder Seven

Favorite songs: "Ordinary Man," "A World of Fantasy," "Just a Game," "Fight the Good Fight," "Killing Time," "Never Surrender," "Blinding Light Show," "Hold On," "Little Boy Blues" and "Magic Power."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
How could you mention Tull and not say anything about Thick As A Brick?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »

Because it isn't one of my favorite albums or songs of theirs.  I know the average prog fan goes crazy over it, it being a 40 minute plus song and all, but I have never found it to be that great as a whole.  I love the first 10-11 minutes and then I lose interest.  Not that the rest is necessarily uninteresting, but something has to be consistently great for me to invest 40 minutes in it every single listen, and that just doesn't pass the test.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Great read. Keep it up.

Orcus, love your new pic!

Haha thanks. I saw the picture on a google news article and couldn't resist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:42 PM »
35. The Flaming Lips

Despite not being a fan of very much of their pre-'99 material, I still love this band on the strength of their last four albums, all of which are tremendous in different ways.  If you have never given this band much of a chance, it is all about The Soft Bulletin.  In 50 years, a new generation will be listening to that record, and it will still sound just as innovative, daring and spectacular as it does today.  And if you ever have a chance to see them live, do not hesitate...buy yourself a ticket and get ready for some fun.  Remember, music is supposed to be fun, and no band's live show embodies that more than the Lips' live shows do.

Favorite albums: The Soft Bulletin and At War with the Mystics

Favorite songs: "The Gash," "Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung," "The Sound of Failure," "One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21," "The Spark That Bled," "What is the Light?," "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell," "Sleeping on the Roof," "Vein of Stars" and "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion."

34. King Crimson

Crimson is one of those bands that, for me, when they connect, they knock it out of the park, and when they miss, they miss badly.  Their great albums are ones I cannot get enough of sometimes, and many of their lesser albums are ones that I probably wouldn't care if I never heard them again.  Not that they are bad or anything; it's just that their best albums are sooooo much better, when I am in a King Crimson phase, I am going for the good stuff, ya know? 

Favorite albums: The Power to Believe, Red and Discipline

Favorite songs: "Starless," "The Power to Believe II," "The ConstruKction of Light," "One More Red Nightmare," "Thela Hun Ginjeet," "Eyes Wide Open," "Elephant Talk," "The Talking Drum," "Level Five," "The Sheltering Sky" and "Dangerous Curves."

33. Van Halen

Similar to The Who for me in that they are also like a retired favorite.  I have been listening to this band almost as long as any other, except for a handful, and I still get a kick out of their music, especially during the summer.  I am a fan of all three eras: the Roth era, the Hagar era, and, yes, the Cherone era.  It is too bad that Eddie Van Halen is such a train wreck, as they probably still had plenty of good music left in them, but have been nothing but a nostalgia act, when acting like a band, for well over 10 years now.

Favorite albums: I, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Fair Warning

Favorite songs: "Pleasure Dome," "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "Once," "Mean Street," "Unchained," "Runnin' with the Devil," "Dreams," "Humans Being," "Poundcake," "Feelin'," "Panama" and "Little Dreamer."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »

Because it isn't one of my favorite albums or songs of theirs.  I know the average prog fan goes crazy over it, it being a 40 minute plus song and all, but I have never found it to be that great as a whole.  I love the first 10-11 minutes and then I lose interest.  Not that the rest is necessarily uninteresting, but something has to be consistently great for me to invest 40 minutes in it every single listen, and that just doesn't pass the test.

Pfffft you need to revoke your prog fan card. Obviously the most important factor in what makes a song good is its length, duh.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
Kinda shocked no love for In The Court Of The Crimson King

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
I love the first 10-11 minutes and then I lose interest.

Totally agree.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »

Pfffft you need to revoke your prog fan card. Obviously the most important factor in what makes a song good is its length, duh.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »

:lol :lol Well-played, sir!  :tup :tup

Kinda shocked no love for In The Court Of The Crimson King

Good record; just not one of my favorites by the band.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »
I really need to find a copy of Discipline.  I've only heard "Elephant Talk," but it was a really good song.  I just have Red and ITCOTCK.  Still a great read so far!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
I really need to find a copy of Discipline.  I've only heard "Elephant Talk," but it was a really good song.  I just have Red and ITCOTCK.  Still a great read so far!

Also get Larks' Tongues In Aspic, great album!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
Two more today...

32. Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Even though they symbolize what a lot of people hate about prog rock - pretentious, arrogant, bombastic, over the top, etc. - I still love their music.  Their first four albums were mostly money, and the underrated Black Moon showed their ability to write well-crafted shorter, catchy songs.  I remember going completely ape shit over them when I got the Atlantic Years double CD compilation sometime in late '92/early '93.  Those CDs dominated my CD player for many, many months. 

Favorite albums - Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Black Moon and Trilogy

Favorite songs - "Take a Pebble," "Tarkus," "From the Beginning," "Trilogy," "Pirates," "Knife-edge," "The Endless Enigma," "Paper Blood," "Karn Evil 9" and "Romeo and Juliet."

31. Jeff Beck

Arguably the greatest rock guitarist that ever lived, I love how Jeff Beck's music never seems to sound like that stereotypical guitar hero instrumental stuff that certain other guitarists' work does.  From the fusion-driven albums of the 70s to his more electronic-driven music of the modern era, he has tons of awesome tunes.  Thankfully, I will finally be seeing him live...in 11 days. :)

Favorite albums - Blow by Blow, Wired, Who Else! and You Had It Coming

Favorite songs - "Scatterbrain," "Roy's Toy," Space for the Papa," "Freeway Jam," "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat," "Sophie," "Diamond Dust," "Nadia," "THX138," "Too Much to Lose" and "Angel (Footsteps)."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 10:29:28 PM »
My boss lady loves Jeff Beck.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
It's probably 'cause he's fucking amazing. FAR too under appreciated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
Still a great read so far!

Thanks! :)

My boss lady loves Jeff Beck.

You should, too! ;)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »
Cocktease with Jeff Beck, I thought it said Jeff Buckley for a second.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »
Cocktease with Jeff Beck, I thought it said Jeff Buckley for a second.

To put aside any teases, leaving EPs, outtake CDs or whatever out of the equation, there is no artist in my top 50 with only one or two studio albums.  Not a single one.  So, yeah, no Jeff Buckley, LTE, Arcade Fire, etc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »
ELP should be a tad higher, but I'll accept it.

Also, no love for anything from Brain Salad Surgery (Other than Karn Evil 9)? That entire album is just one eargasm after another, culminating in one of the best pieces of music ever written.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:28 PM »
I love "Jerusalem," "Toccata" and "Still...You Turn Me On" all quite a bit, but I am trying to limit the favorite songs for each artist to around 10-12, give or take.  And I am not fond of the 2nd Impression of "Karn Evil 9," but both parts of the 1st Impression and the 3rd Impression are aces! :)

And at one point, ELP was in my top 5....back in the mid 90s.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »
Oh, alright. I'm happy now, haha.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »
There ya go. :biggrin:

And I don't see the comparison made often, but I have always thought of DT as a modern day ELP in the sense that both bands are very progressive, both are known for their chops perhaps more than anything else, and both often get falsely accused of lacking melodies and songwriting ability.

Online Mladen

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 01:16:14 AM »
Not a fan of the earlier works, huh? Well, still good to see KC in the list.  :tup

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:14 AM »
I will be following this list. Since no-one has said anything, great to see GY!BE on your list  :biggrin: For me it would be in the top 10.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 06:32:05 AM »
 :tup to Heart and Ann Wilson.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:44 AM »
I was really into ELP for like one year, and then I fell out of it really really quickly.  I don't even listen to "Tarkus" anymore.

Jeff Beck (and Tal Wilkenfeld) are awesome though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »
Not a fan of the earlier works, huh? Well, still good to see KC in the list.  :tup

Not so much.  I am not fond of much from either Lizard or In the Wake of Poseidon, and while I like Larks' Tongues in Aspic, I don't go bat shit over it like a lot of people do.  Oh, and Starless and Bible Black has its moments, but overall, I find it to be lacking, as well. 

I was really into ELP for like one year, and then I fell out of it really really quickly.  I don't even listen to "Tarkus" anymore.

I have always suspected that the lack of an electric guitar (outside of a few cases) makes it hard for some to really get into them.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
Did you guys know that Hendrix was supposed to join the band? He died a few days (or maybe weeks) before rehearsals were supposed to start. After his death they decided to go forth without a guitarist.

The name? HELP.

No, I'm not kidding either.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »
Yeah we learned that in Rock Music. Kind of an odd supergroup idea.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »
I don't think its the lack of electric guitar Kev...I just sort of lost interest in 40-minute organ-dominated songs.  I'm kind of sick of organs in rock music outside of very well-used instances.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
Did you guys know that Hendrix was supposed to join the band? He died a few days (or maybe weeks) before rehearsals were supposed to start. After his death they decided to go forth without a guitarist.

The name? HELP.

No, I'm not kidding either.

Yeah, that band would have kicked some ass.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.