Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 31877 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »
1. Rush
2. Porcupine Tree
3. The Flower Kings
4. Pink Floyd
5. Radiohead
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
I think if you switched Radiohead and the Flower Kings it would be more likely.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:12 PM »
Guess number 2

5. Radiohead
4. Flower Kings
3. Floyd
2. PT
1. Rush
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
Top 5 (none of which I need to do a synopsis or favorite songs or albums for, as their greatness goes without saying):

5. Twisted Sister

4. Nickelback

3. Creed

2. Hootie and the Blowfish

1. Wham!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
Top 5 (none of which I need to do a synopsis or favorite songs or albums for, as their greatness goes without saying):

5. Twisted Sister

4. Nickelback

3. Creed

1. Wham!

Aww man Nickelback didn't beat Creed!

EDIT: I'm friends with Dee Snider's niece.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
Nice to see mention of Hootie.  Old childhood favorite of mine.  Oh, wait, were you being sarcastic?  Fuck you then!  Go Hootie!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2010, 06:00:22 AM »

5. Twisted Sister

4. Nickelback

3. Creed

1. Wham!

Twisted Sister isn't all that bad...

lolWham!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
Regarding YES, I think your first phrase was meant to be "One of the undisputed kings of progressive rock"? Anyway, surprised not to see Heart of the Sunrise on there.

Imagine if you could combine the Beatles' knack for songwriting/vocal melodies with DT's instrumental prowess  :biggrin:? Now that'd be a band . . . 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »

5. Twisted Sister

4. Nickelback

3. Creed

1. Wham!

Go to hell with Hootie.  I kill Darius if i saw him. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
Okay, okay, I guess I'll spit out the REAL top 5...;)

Here is 5 and 4:

5. Radiohead

Radiohead are the masters of taking a single, simple idea and forming a great song around that one idea; I cannot count how many songs they have like that.  I love how hypnotic their music often is, too.  When I first heard this band back around '93, "Creep" was the song I heard, and I was like, "Meh."  Years later, I heard some of their other stuff and was equally unimpressed.  Then, I remember them being talked about a lot on the old dt.net in '04 and '05, so in the summer of '05, I thought I would give them one more shot.  I borrowed my brother's copy of OK Computer, just put it on one night, and was shocked at how great it sounded.  That CD got a lot of play with me that summer, and it didn't take long for me to plow through the rest of their catalog, most of which I absolutely adored, as well, except for the fairly pedestrian debut album.  And when In Rainbows came out in late '07...there are a handful or two of CDs in my lifetime that I got when they first came out that I became completely addicted to for literally years: In Rainbows was one of those CDs.  In fact, it is still is.  It is still one of the CDs I listen to the most often, 2 1/2 years later.  Seeing them live in '08 was just amazing, and I cannot wait to see what they do next.

Favorite albums: In Rainbows, Kid A, OK Computer, Hail to the Thief and The Bends

Favorite songs: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8847.0

4. Pink Floyd

This band was life-changing for me.  In 1990, I had just gotten into a little bit of classic rock, following a childhood of oodles of 80s cheese, and my friends Matt and Eric kept telling me how great Pink Floyd was.  More specifically, they kept telling me how great The Wall was, movie and album.  So, one night, I had nothing else to do, so I rented The Wall on VHS from the local video store and was blown away.  I didn't know what in the hell was going on in the movie, but I loved the music like crazy.  I bought my own copy days later and wore it out in no time.  It was also the first CD(s) I bought when I bought my first CD player in '91.  And for about a year, it was nothing but Pink Floyd.  They were my undisputed favorite band for a solid year before being knocked out of the throne.  But I still think just as highly of them now as I did then.  Dark Side of the Moon is, to me, the greatest rock album ever written and recorded; I can't see it ever being topped.  Lastly, seeing them at Arrowhead Stadium in June of '94 remains to this day my all-time favorite concert experience.  You simply had to be there to know how amazing it was.  60,000 people singing along to "Wish You Were Here"...it doesn't get any better than that.  :coolio

Favorite albums: Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, The Division Bell and Animals

Favorite songs: "Time," "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," "Comfortably Numb," "Us and Them," "Mother," "Dogs," "Sheep," "High Hopes," "Brain Damage," "Eclipse," "Poles Apart," "Hey You," "Sorrow," "One of These Days," "Echoes," "Lost for Words," "Wish You Were Here," "Have a Cigar," "Run Like Hell," "Money" and "The Great Gig in the Sky."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Damn I mixed up the Kings and Floyd.

You did tell me in TFK thread that they occasionally surpass Floyd, so I guess it's no surprised that it happened here.

Awesome top 10 though, all these bands your mentioning simply transcend music and become livable experiences for me.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
I am a bit iffy on quite a bit of Floyd's pre-Meddle material.  I mean, I like a lot of it, but I love very little of it.  It is hard for them to stay top 3 when that big a chunk of their material doesn't fall under the "love" category, ya know?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
I am a bit iffy on quite a bit of Floyd's pre-Meddle material.  I mean, I like a lot of it, but I love very little of it.  It is hard for them to stay top 3 when that big a chunk of their material doesn't fall under the "love" category, ya know?

I agree, although their debut album is really awesome, as well as a lot of songs on Atom Heart Mother.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
The only pre-Meddle Floyd album that I really like is Atom Heart Mother. Just could never really get into the others.

And I still havent heard Momentary Lapse of Reason, but I'm probably nothing missing too much there...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
The only pre-Meddle Floyd album that I really like is Atom Heart Mother. Just could never really get into the others.

And I still havent heard Momentary Lapse of Reason, but I'm probably nothing missing too much there...

AMLOR has some gems, but overall, yea you're not missing much. It's worth a listen though, for sure.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
I should check Radiohead out. I guess all the praise it gets from my friends is well deserved.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
I should check Radiohead out. I guess all the praise it gets from my friends is well deserved.

Me too; I've only heard a couple of their songs.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »

I've heard (and am not impressed with) "Creep", but I guess I shouldn't base not liking a band off one song.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »

I've heard (and am not impressed with) "Creep", but I guess I shouldn't base not liking a band off one song.

I quite like "Creep" but it didn't make a big enough impact for me to check them out further.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
Check out OK Computer for starters. After about a year of nonstop listening you'll be ready for everythin else, which is mostly just as good.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline jag66

« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »

Oh Radiohead are soooo much more than creep (which would be lucky to hit my top 50 by them).

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
Check out OK Computer for starters. After about a year of nonstop listening you'll be ready for everythin else, which is mostly just as good.

I tried this... and it did nothing for me. I'll assume it's connected to the "Seinfeld is unfunny" trope in that it seems generic and stale, but that's because so many things have copied it when they were one of the first to do what they did. Whether or not that's true, I definitely respect them and their influence as a band, and I haven't given up on them yet; I've heard a few other songs (from Kid A in particular) that I've quite enjoyed. I guess OK Computer just isn't my thing.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Nice to see the inclusion of "Lost For Words" as a favorite Floyd song; I love it!  Probably also contains the most jarring, unexpected use of the F word ever (at least that I've heard).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
Can't wait to see the top 3.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »
3. The Flower Kings

Talk about a dream band.  Take the influences of Zappa, Floyd, Yes and Genesis, throw in some new songwriting twists, and modernize the sound, and The Flower Kings is what you end up with.  The single reason I checked out this band in the first place was after hearing Roine Stolt sing the "Disappointment struck him hard..." section in Transatlantic's "My New World."  His guitar playing sounded great, but it was his voice that really made me want to check out his main band.  To this day, Roine Stolt's voice is one of my favorite things about the band, along with his guitar playing, Tomas Bodin's fantastic and graceful keyboard playing, and, of course, the great songwriting.  Honestly, on sheer volume and greatness, they really are about even with my top two bands in that regard, but I simply don't listen to them quite as much as the top two.  TFK is very much of a spring and summer band for me (while the top two are bands I can listen to any time, anywhere), not to mention I probably have to be in the mood for some prog to really get into a long phase with them, if that makes sense.  When I first got into this band, the one moment I had when I really realized how special they could be was when I listened to "Business Vamp" from the "Garden of Dreams" suite.  The keyboard leads during the extended intro have a feel and vibe unlike any I have ever heard before.  It sounded so special, so different...those lines are very hypnotizing.  Finally, I love how their music manages to never sound excessive from a playing standpoint, even though they obviously have the chops to show off like crazy.  And unlike most modern prog bands, they have tremendous, natural-sounding vocal harmonies.

Favorite albums: Paradox Hotel, Flower Power, Stardust We Are, Space Revolver and Retropolis

Favorite songs: Coming soon to a forum near you. :biggrin:

2 and 1 are coming very soon, too (not that what two bands they are are in doubt at all :lol).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
Rush and... Britney Spears.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mladen

« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
Village people and Kool & The Gang...

As for TFK, I've only listened to their last album. It definitely made me want to check out some more of their stuff, but there are still plenty of bands on my ''To listen'' list.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »
2. Porcupine Tree

This might sound a bit corny, but when I first got into this band, I had a moment where I thought, "This is the band I have been waiting my whole life for."  There are so many different layers to this band, I wouldn't even know where to begin in describing them, but I have never hidden my love for this band over the years, so if you are familiar with my postings over the years, you know my feelings on this band.  One of my favorite musical experiences ever was the first time I listened to Stupid Dream.  I don't remember which song it was during, but the CD was playing on my home stereo, I was well into it (at least halfway through it), and I turned and said out loud to no one, "Holy shit, this is awesome."  And there was no turning back.  I had already started liking the band thanks to In Absentia and Signify, but that one single moment summed it all in a nutshell.  I still have plenty of moments where I listen to Porcupine Tree and think, "Holy shit, this is awesome."  Everything Steven Wilson does seemingly turns to gold, and Porcupine Tree is his most valuable possession, in a manner of speaking.  PT is currently as close as any band has been since 1992 to catching my number 1 band.  Not that close, mind you...just closer than any other band has gotten.

Favorite albums: Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Deadwing, In Absentia and The Incident

Favorite songs: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4178.0

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
2. Porcupine Tree

This might sound a bit corny, but when I first got into this band, I had a moment where I thought, "This is the band I have been waiting my whole life for."  There are so many different layers to this band, I wouldn't even know where to begin in describing them, but I have never hidden my love for this band over the years, so if you are familiar with my postings over the years, you know my feelings on this band.  One of my favorite musical experiences ever was the first time I listened to Stupid Dream.  I don't remember which song it was during, but the CD was playing on my home stereo, I was well into it (at least halfway through it), and I turned and said out loud to no one, "Holy shit, this is awesome."  And there was no turning back.  I had already started liking the band thanks to In Absentia and Signify, but that one single moment summed it all in a nutshell.  I still have plenty of moments where I listen to Porcupine Tree and think, "Holy shit, this is awesome."  Everything Steven Wilson does seemingly turns to gold, and Porcupine Tree is his most valuable possession, in a manner of speaking.  PT is currently as close as any band has been since 1992 to catching my number 1 band.  Not that close, mind you...just closer than any other band has gotten.

Favorite albums: Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Deadwing, In Absentia and The Incident

Favorite songs: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4178.0

Amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed that PT is only nr 2 and not 1, but overall it's a great list.
Many good choices. :)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
That builds up the suspense. I cannot wait for the number one. If it is Rush as everyone suspects, then disappointment shall ensue.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
That builds up the suspense. I cannot wait for the number one. If it is Rush as everyone suspects, then disappointment shall ensue.

We don't just suspect it. We know for sure that Rush is #1.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »

Wut?  One of the most influential bands of progressive rock and it's a disappointment?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »
1. Rush

The greatest band ever. 

That is all. :hat :hat :hat

NOTE: Their greatness goes without saying and requires no other words. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
 ;D

Good picks, I should get into Rush more.