Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 31878 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
Kev, I know you like Devin Townsend, and I was looking forward to reading your synopsis on him.....but....everytime I've sampled his music, all I want to do is cut off my ears.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
Nice picks. Ziltoid is my favorite DT album, not a weak song on there for me. Terria for me is Earth Day and some other songs if you want them. Addicted/Ki are great too.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
wow, awesome to see Devin so high!  :tup
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »
I wish I had known about this thread sooner...
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
11. Devin Townsend

I don't even know where to begin in talking about what I love about his music the most.  His voice.  His songwriting.  His wall of sound.  His quirky sense of humor that often finds its way into his music.  So many great things about him and his music.  He was definitely somewhat of an acquired taste when I first heard him, as his screaming vocals and that wall of sound took some time to get into, but his music is extremely addictive once you get past any barriers that might be there.  I know this will be blasphemy to some, but he is almost like a modern-day Zappa to me.  Not necessarily in a prolific sense (not that Devin isn't prolific, but Zappa was a whole other beast in that regard compared to almost anyone else), but in their approaches to music, their personalities, their ability to successfully integrate their senses of humor into their music, etc.  And I love how each of his albums always seem to have a different kind of feel; Terria sounds like the earth; Ocean Machine sounds like the water; Infinity sounds like a Broadway show on crack; etc.  Also, if I had to list my top 10 moments in any song ever, the middle vocal section of "The Fluke" would make the cut; that is so wacky, yet so awesome.  Add it all up and it equals one undeniable truth: Devin is The Man!

Favorite albums: Terria, Addicted and Infinity

Favorite songs: "Truth," "Bend It Like Bender," "Earth Day," "The Fluke," "Deep Peace," "Addicted," "Pixillate," "Heaven Send," "The Death of Music," "Noisy Pink Bubbles," "Tiny Tears," "Supercrush" and "Canada."

There is a disturbing lack of Ziltoid in this post.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2010, 06:34:34 PM »
There is a disturbing lack of "Deadhead" in your Devy post.  I've only been a Devin fan since December of last year, but he's just really, really, REALLY good once you get past the screaming vocals (if extreme vocal styles are still a shock to the system, luckily Opeth helped me out in this regard).  Addicted is such a perfect album, and he really is like a modern-day Zappa, except he 1. Doesn't have like 700 recordings and 2. Isn't as prolific/well-known.

So yeah, awesome post with Kansas too.  Looking forward to at least 6 of the top ten bands.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
I'm still not seeing Pain of Salvation. I don't know if I should be sad or happy just yet. I'm guessing Porcupine Tree is in Top 10.

I'm hoping PoS doesn't make it after this. Maybe in the 50-30 range. Maybe

I'm hoping not at all.

-J

I agree. PoS are good, but not top30-good.
If I had to make a top-1 band list, PoS would be on it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
I just discovered this thread and read through the entire thing. Very entertaining, and now I have 11 pages of bands to look up instead of 9.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
There is a disturbing lack of Ziltoid in this post.

First off, I can't mention ALL of his good songs, ya know. ;)

Second, I have never been that wild about that record.  I like it, but I like most of his solo/DTB/DTP records better.

There is a disturbing lack of "Deadhead" in your Devy post.  I've only been a Devin fan since December of last year, but he's just really, really, REALLY good once you get past the screaming vocals (if extreme vocal styles are still a shock to the system, luckily Opeth helped me out in this regard).  Addicted is such a perfect album, and he really is like a modern-day Zappa, except he 1. Doesn't have like 700 recordings and 2. Isn't as prolific/well-known.

So yeah, awesome post with Kansas too.  Looking forward to at least 6 of the top ten bands.

"Deadhead" is definitely awesome. :tup :tup

Very true about the screaming vocals.  They can be a bit tough at first, I agree, but once you get used to 'em, it's all good. :coolio

Which six?  I wonder if anyone could actually guess the top 10 bands all correctly (not in order, just the 10 bands)...:p

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »
Nice to see DMB ranked that high up! And I agree, The Stone-The Dreaming Tree is absolutely amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Yep, DMB is awesome. :hat

Oh, and for shits and giggles, here are some honorable mentions, bands that just missed the cut:

OSI  
Liquid Tension Experiment
Faith No More
Foo Fighters
Ozzy Osbourne
Supertramp
Arcade Fire
Walter Trout
Steely Dan
Herbie Hancock
The Rolling Stones
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Doors
etc.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
So let's see here....

These 5 are definitely still to come: Rush, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, The Beatles, Zappa

Maybe:  Deep Purple, Hendrix, Cream/Clapton, Metallica, Iron Maiden.

Pretty nice list Kev, I've definitely enjoyed reading it.  I just wish you were an Alter Bridge Fan  :laugh:
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
So let's see here....

These 5 are definitely still to come: Rush, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, The Beatles, Zappa

Pretty nice list Kev, I've definitely enjoyed reading it.  I just wish you were an Alter Bridge Fan  :laugh:
I know he already listed Metallica at like 48th or something.

EDIT: Perhaps some Pink Floyd?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
So let's see here....

Pretty sure he mentioned Zappa.

We'll be seeing some Yes, Flower Kings, Floyd, etc hopefully.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2010, 04:18:04 AM »
Nice to see 'Heaven Send' mentioned there. That's one intense song.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2010, 04:44:59 AM »
Yes, Rush, The Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd are sure to come.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline jag66

« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »
Yes, Rush, The Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater and Pink Floyd are sure to come.

And radiohead  :hat

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2010, 05:09:20 AM »

And radiohead  :hat

Idd.
Radiohead. <3

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:41 AM »
The only ones I'm sure about:
Radiohead
U2
Porcupine Tree
Rush

The ones I have good feelings about:
The Flower Kings
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd

Possibly:
Yes
Deep Purple
Transatlantic

"Left Field"
BrokeNCYDE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2010, 06:43:02 AM »
My prediction, without order:

Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Rush
Metallica
U2
Radiohead
Yes
Porcupine tree
The Beatles
Iron Maiden
The Flower kings

Got eleven, didn't know which one to leave out...  :P

Offline jag66

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
My prediction, without order:

Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Rush
Metallica
U2
Radiohead
Yes
Porcupine tree
The Beatles
Iron Maiden
The Flower kings

Got eleven, didn't know which one to leave out...  :P

You might want to leave metallica out..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
Wow, no one predicted the band I have at number 9.

10. U2

Love 'em or hate 'em, you cannot question the greatness of U2.  Everything they have, they worked their butts off for.  I often see people say that U2 just gets good reviews or whatever simply because "they are U2," but that is what happens when you work your butt off, makes tons of great music, build your legend up, and become one of the biggest and best rock bands of all-time.  U2 is in the same stratosphere as bands like Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, which is no easy feat.  To recap what I said about my own personal journey regarding them a while back, they were my favorite band in the late 80s before getting into Floyd in '90 and then Rush in '91, and they went by the wayside for way too long.  For a very long time, U2 simply became a band I still liked, but never listened to anymore.  That changed roughly two years ago when I rediscovered much of their catalog, and then I really went crazy over them again last year when getting into No Line on the Horizon; in particular, I finally really got into Zooropa and Pop, two very experimental, yet very good, CDs.  Say what you want about Bono, but the guy is a phenomenal singer, a great lyricist, and a helluva front man.  And I simply adore The Edge's style and creative guitar playing; the guy is largely responsible for the identifiable musical sound of one of the biggest bands ever, and for that, you must give him his due.    

Favorite albums: Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, War and Rattle and Hum

Favorite songs: "All I Want Is You," "New Year's Day," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Until the End of the World," "Bad," "Running to Stand Still," "Bullet the Blue Sky," "The Fly," "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)," "Where the Streets Have No Name," "City of Blinding Lights," "Magnificent," "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me."

9. Queen

There will never be another band like Queen.  There can't be.  No one could possibly duplicate the magic that the combination of those four guys brought forth.  Roger Taylor was a rock solid drummer, not to mention a great singer.  Most of the highest highs you hear in Queen's harmonies were Taylor.  Of note, that last "FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE," at the end of the middle section of "Bohemian Rhapsody," that highest voice is Taylor's, not Freddie Mercury's.  John Deacon was quite an underrated bass player, and was a damn good songwriter, too.  Brian May...easily one of my favorite musicians of all time.  Similar to The Edge in the sense that he also has a style and sound that are immediately identifiable.  When he plays something, you know it is him.  And Freddie Mercury.  Freddie Mercury.  I don't think I have to explain what is so great about him to anyone.  Anyone who has heard him sing, or seen footage of him working a crowd, knows all about how great he was.  But all of that talent would go to waste without great songs, which Queen had an abundance of.  And they were unique in that they seldom wrote together; many Queen songs had a single songwriter.  It was almost a contest at times to see who could write the best songs, which obviously pushed them all to write as good a songs as possible.  And who wins?  We, the fans, do.  And did we ever.  

Favorite albums: A Night at the Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, Innuendo, II and A Day at the Races

Favorite songs: "Bohemian Rhapsody," "One Vision," "Tie Your Mother Down," "Hammer to Fall," "'39," "Liar," "March of the Black Queen," "Flick of the Wrist," "Fat Bottomed Girls," "Who Wants to Live Forever," "Innuendo," "Death on Two Legs," "White Queen," "Brighton Rock," "Ride the Wild Wind," "In the Lap of the Gods" and "Keep Yourself Alive."

Another update coming later today, where I will probably do 6-8.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:23 AM »
Nice to see the Foo Fighters get some love in your honorable mentions list, they're a great band that never gets any love around here because, well... it's a goddamned prog forum. :P

Queen :tup can't say much about U2, honest to god I've only heard a handful of songs, but I don't hate 'em.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
Queen and U2.  Two bands willing to take musical risks and reap the rewards.  Can't say enough good things about these two bands.  My one dissapointment was not seeing Queen.  In 1982 on the Hot Space tour, a few older friends went(I was 14 at the time and my parents wouldn't let me go). I got over it and thought, I'll see them on the next tour, which never happened for us in the USA.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Of course.  Queen.  I knew there was some insanely awesome band I was forgetting.  God what a great band.  U2's musical quality to me has gone downhill somewhat but their old stuff is still great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
Nice to see the Foo Fighters get some love in your honorable mentions list, they're a great band that never gets any love around here because, well... it's a goddamned prog forum. :P

Foo Fighters are the one of those bands for me that has about 15-20 just very good/great songs, and then not much else that interests me as far as going out of my way to listen to.  And most of those songs are from The Colour and the Shape and Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Queen and U2.  Two bands willing to take musical risks and reap the rewards.  Can't say enough good things about these two bands.  My one dissapointment was not seeing Queen.  In 1982 on the Hot Space tour, a few older friends went(I was 14 at the time and my parents wouldn't let me go). I got over it and thought, I'll see them on the next tour, which never happened for us in the USA.

Haha, a friend of mine who is a bit older than me had the same thing happened to him.  He skipped seeing them sometime in the early 80s, thinking, "I'll see them the next time they come back to St. Louis."  And they never did.  D'oh! :lol :lol

Of course.  Queen.  I knew there was some insanely awesome band I was forgetting.  God what a great band.  U2's musical quality to me has gone downhill somewhat but their old stuff is still great.

Damn straight on Queen! :)

I generally agree about U2, but most of their stuff is still good, and some of it has been really good.  I mean, not many bands have a prime that lasts more than a decade, so a slight dropoff in quality is to be expected with just about any band, really.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »
I knew you'd have Queen. ;) I remember you mentioning how much you love them when I did my top 50 Queen songs or whatever... thought they'd be in the top 5, but top 10 is good too. :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
I generally agree about U2, but most of their stuff is still good, and some of it has been really good.  I mean, not many bands have a prime that lasts more than a decade, so a slight dropoff in quality is to be expected with just about any band, really.

Unless that band is PT or Rush.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
I knew you'd have Queen. ;) I remember you mentioning how much you love them when I did my top 50 Queen songs or whatever... thought they'd be in the top 5, but top 10 is good too. :)

:hat

Unless that band is PT or Rush.

Well, yeah. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
8. Yes

One of the disputed kinds of progressive rock, Yes is a band that just has a vibe quite unlike any other out there.  I credit that to Jon Anderson, whose vision always seemed to drive the band when they were at their best.  God only knows what that vision always was :lol, but it almost always resulted in killer tunes.  Also, I am one of those Yes fans who loves the Rabin era, too.  90125 is a terrific pop rock record, Big Generator was good, too, and Talk is a great record that even got a little progressive, and rocked pretty hard at times, too.  It is a shame what has become of the band in the last few years, but nothing can take away from the all-time greatness of records like Close to the Edge, Fragile, etc.  Simply put, Yes is one of the best bands ever.

Favorite albums: Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, Fragile, Talk and Relayer

Favorite songs: "And You and I," "Starship Trooper," "Close to the Edge," "The Gates of Delirium," "Endless Dream," "Yours Is No Disgrace," "Siberian Khatru," "Roundabout," "South Side of the Sky," "Hearts," "I Am Waiting," "Turn of the Century," "Time and a Word," "Cinema," "Machine Messiah," "I've Seen All Good People" and "The Calling."

7. The Beatles

There are not enough superlatives in the dictionary to sum it all up about the Beatles.  It is hard to believe that all of their music is over 40 years old now, but it still sounds fresh and ground-breaking to these ears.  They are undoubtedly the most influential rock band of all-time and no one is even close to them in that regard.  I still remember discovering the Sgt. Pepper vinyl in my parent's collection when I was 7, being enthralled with both the front and back cover, the latter of which had the lyrics printed on it, and the music...yeah, that was the music I listened to quite frequently when I was a young boy.  I love how so many of their albums basically sound like greatest hits collections.  That is a testament to how many damn good songs they wrote.  I :heart the Beatles. :coolio

Favorite albums: Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Rubber Soul

Favorite songs: "A Day in the Life," "Something," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "For No One," "Doctor Robert," "Glass Onion," "Here Comes the Sun," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "Mother Nature's Son," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Hey Jude," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "In My Life," "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" and all of Side 2 of Abbey Road.

6. Dream Theater

Do I really need to go into detail about them, considering this is a DT forum?  Probably not, but oh well. :lol  Their unique blend of progressive rock and metal was an instant attraction to me back in 1993 and I have been a fan since.  Interestingly, while their chops are the allure for many, to me, the insane musicianship was merely the icing on the cake.  I instantly loved the songwriting, as well as the melodies provided by James La Brie's voice and by their use of keyboards, courtesy of original keyboard player Kevin Moore.  I feel the band it is at their best when rocking, but also focusing just as much on melody and atmosphere.  And while I have been heavily critical of them at times over the years, they are still one of my favorite bands of all-time, and were a gateway to quite a few bands I now listen to. 

Favorite albums: Awake, Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Favorite songs: "Scarred," "Voices," "Erotomania," "Learning to Live," "Metropolis, Part 1," "Trial of Tears," "Take the Time," "A Change of Seasons," "Space Dye Vest," "The Spirit Carries On," "Lines in the Sand," "Finally Free," "Surrounded," "Home," "Misunderstood," "Hell's Kitchen," "The Count of Tuscany" and "The Glass Prison."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
I had assumed that DT would be in your top 5. Evidently not..

Still, 1 and 2 I know are rush/PT :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
5. The Flower Kings
4. Pink Floyd
3. Radiohead
2. Porcupine Tree
1. Rush

Do I win?

EDIT: Super kudos on Yes. They'd be higher for me, but I wasn't expecting them to be in the top 10 and I salute you for doing so. :metal
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
Who is this band, "The Beatles" surrounded by great prog bands? ;)

What can you say about these picks. No surprise and great bands. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »
I had assumed that DT would be in your top 5. Evidently not..

To be honest, it was close, but the number 5 band just barely edged them out.

5. The Flower Kings
4. Pink Floyd
3. Radiohead
2. Porcupine Tree
1. Rush

Do I win?

Not quite. :biggrin:

Who is this band, "The Beatles" surrounded by great prog bands? ;)

While I know your comment was made in jest, the Beatles are arguably the most progressive rock band ever, in the literal sense of the word, but let's not open up that can of worms, k? :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Not at all Kev.  The Beatles pushed the envelope of recording and opened new doors for bands to explore.