Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 32093 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
I generally don't mind the influence, although they go a little overboard with how blatant it is at times.  Being influenced is one thing; blatantly borrowing riffs or melodies is another.  "Prophets of War" isn't that good of a song (although not as bad as many say it is), but I don't think its failings were the result of the supposed alleged Muse influence.  The "dancey" parts of the song are probably the best parts of the song, quite frankly. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
Thumbs up for Camel, Black Sabbath and Judas fuckin' Priest.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Another update today:

18. Dave Matthews Band

Yes, that's right: Dave Matthews Band.  I am always surprised more people here don't like them, but I wonder how many have actually given them a real chance, outside of maybe hearing their hits or hearing them in the background at a friend's house or something.  I was smack in the middle of my prog snob phase in the late 90s when I got into them, which was quite an achievement.  Despite not being a "prog" band, their music is actually quite progressive.  I would recommend anyone starting off with the three-song run that did the trick for me: "The Stone," "Crush" and "The Dreaming Tree."  Those 25 minutes of music should impress anyone.  After that, check out their Central Park DVD.  You'll be a fan for life.  The interesting thing about this band for me is, I have seen them five times, and each time, it was with someone different...my younger brother, a cousin, a friend, and two different girlfriends.

Favorite albums: Before These Crowded Streets, Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash

Favorite songs: "The Dreaming Tree," "Crush," "The Stone," "Two Step," "Don't Drink the Water," "Dancing Nancies," "Warehouse," "Proudest Monkey," "Lie in Our Graves," "Spaceman," "Bartender" and "Lying in the Hands of God."

17. Peter Gabriel

Look up the phrase musical genius and next to it will be a picture of Peter Gabriel, unless you have an outdated dictionary. ;)  This guy's talent and greatness is undeniable, and he is still going, despite being in his 60s now.  Leaving Genesis was quite a daring move, but his solo career has been hugely successful, and for that, he deserves major kudos.  Not many could have pulled it off.  And in the late 70s/early 80s, when a lot of prog bands were either dying off or going a more mainstream pop rock route, Peter Gabriel continued to be innovative, creative and extremely progressive.  He is the essence of progressive rock, in the truest sense of the word.  I still remember watching the Secret World Live DVD for the first time; it was like someone was opening up a window to his greatness and all of a sudden, the sun, which had always been there, was hitting me right in the face.  

Favorite albums: Up, Security and III/Melt

Favorite songs: "San Jacinto," "Washing of the Water," "Sky Blue," "I Grieve," "Red Rain," "Biko," "Family Snapshot," "Moribund the Burgermeister," "Darkness," "Signal to Noise," "Mercy Street" and "Secret World."

16. Opeth

I probably don't have to go into too much detail here, as I have outlined in various threads over the years what I love about this band.  Their ability to combine bone-crushing metal featuring growling with beautiful acoustic passages featuring clean vocals separates them from every other metal band I have ever heard that features growling.  Six years ago, the idea of a band featuring growling being this high up on my list seemed absurd.  Then I was introduced Opeth, and all of the misconceptions went out the window.

Favorite albums: Still Life, Blackwater Park and Watershed

Favorite songs: "The Drapery Falls," "Bleak," "Deliverance," "A Fair Judgement," "Moonlapse Vertigo," "Face of Melinda," "Isolation Years," "White Cluster," "To Rid the Disease," "Harvest," "The Lotus Eater" and "Ghost of Perdition."

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
No Reverie/Harlequin Forest saddens me, but great to see them so high up, as well as the other great choices :tup

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
No songs from the first three albums saddens me, but great to see them so high up, as well as the other great choices :tup
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline faemir

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
Yeah...WAIT! No Demon of the Fall? :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Well, I can't list all of my favorites, fellas.  I am trying to limit it to around 10-12 per artist.  Both of those just barely missed the cut, if it makes you both feel any better. :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2010, 05:30:06 PM »
Man, I love Opeth, but kudos for including Peter Gabriel. 'Up' is a masterpiece, and my first listen of 'Signal to Noise' was one of the most intense aural experiences of my life.

Weird, I don't care for Genesis at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
Has there been anyone who's chalenged our thoughts on music or startled us with the presentation of those songs more then Peter Gabriel?  The man can do no wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
God I love Peter Gabriel.  I'd certainly rank him higher than Opeth.  What are your feelings on Us?  Its one of my favorite Gabriel albums and IMO, definitely his most underrated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
Us is good, but I think pretty much every song he played off of it was much better live.  The production and sound wasn't as crisp and smooth as his other albums, and that hurt the overall product.  Live, those songs just sprang to life. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
Peter Gabriel was my first concert. I'll always keep that memory close to me. It was a great show, and the man has an amazing stage presence. I love the song "Games Without Frontiers" by him.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2010, 03:55:59 AM »
Peter Gabriel was my first concert. I'll always keep that memory close to me. It was a great show, and the man has an amazing stage presence. I love the song "Games Without Frontiers" by him.
THIS.

Also, Opeth is awesome. Top10 for me though. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
15. Genesis

Genesis is worthy of a top 20 spot, merely on the strength of one of the best five album runs ever, from 1972 to 1976, and the rest of their catalog, some of which I like, some of which I don't like that much, is just icing on the cake.  Like Camel, Genesis was old school prog, but without the overplaying.  Oh sure, they had tons of long instrumental passages, but you never got the impression that they did them to show off.  Tony Banks is easily one of the best rock keyboard players ever, Peter Gabriel's greatness on the early stuff goes without saying, and Steve Hackett is the unsung hero of their classic material.  Some mistakenly think the band started going downhill a bit when Gabriel left the band, but that is not true; the slide didn't begin until Hackett departed.  Having grown up on their 80s pop rock stuff, some of it still holds a bit of nostalgic charm for me, while the rest of it, not so much.  

Favorite albums: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the Pound and A Trick of the Tail

Favorite songs: "The Cinema Show," "Firth of Fifth," "Supper's Ready," "In the Cage," "The Lamia," "One for the Vine," "Fly on a Windshield," "Robbery, Assault and Battery," "The Knife," "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners."

14. Led Zeppelin

As overplayed as they are, it is sometimes easy to forget just how incredible they were, but fresh listens are always like a jolt of reality.  Really, they are another of those bands, like Sabbath, whose greatness almost speaks for itself.  To many, they owned the 70s, and considering that was the best music for rock music ever, that is quite an achievement.  It almost seems crazy for a serious music fan to not be a big Zeppelin fan.  I sometimes wonder what would have become of Led Zeppelin in the 80s had John Bonham not died when he did...

Favorite albums: Houses of the Holy, II and Physical Graffiti

Favorite songs: "Over the Hills and Far Away," "The Rain Song," "Fool in the Rain," "Immigrant Song," "Ten Years Gone," "How Many More Times," "Stairway to Heaven," "No Quarter," "What Is and What Should Never Be," "In My Time of Dying" and "Dazed and Confused."

13. Blue Öyster Cult

One of the most hard-working and underrated rock bands of all-time, B.O.C. is one of those bands that has always managed to bust out at least a few great songs on every single record they have done, even the least best ones.  They have a sound and style I have always just dug like crazy.  Buck Dharma is one of the best rock guitarists on the planet (and a helluva nice guy), and their dark and creepy lyrical content fits their music so well.  B.O.C. is a longtime favorite that still gets played in my CD player quite often.  To some, they are that band that did that song with the cowbell that had Will Ferrell dancing around like a fool on SNL, but to me and many others, they are so much more.

Favorite albums: Cultosaurus Erectus, Imaginos and Secret Treaties

Favorite songs: "Black Blade," "Take Me Away," "In the Presence of Another World," "Then Came the Last Days of May," "Deadline," "Veteran of the Psychic Wars," "Golden Age of Leather," "Shooting Shark," "Buck's Boogie," "Flaming Telepaths," "Harvest Moon" and "E.T.I."

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:04:09 PM by KevShmev »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
Good call on BOC.  I personally wouldn't have had them that high, but on the other hand, it was a BOC album that was my first CD during the changeover. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »
Genesis  :heart
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
Love Genesis, Led Zepp is timeless and BOC.  Seen them 6 times and left happy every show.  Big kudows for Shooting Shark!!!  How many people remember that song!?  BTW Kev, do you know who plays bass on that song?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faemir

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
Kudos*

And Kev, how much do you like the song trampled underfoot?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
The only Blue Oyster Cult I've listened to is one of their greatest hits. Lots of really good stuff on it though. :tup
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »
Good for Genesis and Zeppelin. As for BOC, I've only listened to Mirrors, and it was fine...

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
"The Ocean" is the best Zeppelin song.

Offline Chagny

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »
I agree with this thread.

Offline j

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:18 AM »
Great list so far Kev, I've enjoyed reading it and I'll definitely check out some of the stuff I'm less familiar with.  I wouldn't know where to begin making a list like this however; not sure how you do it.

-J

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
Great list so far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »
Love Genesis, Led Zepp is timeless and BOC.  Seen them 6 times and left happy every show.  Big kudows for Shooting Shark!!!  How many people remember that song!?  BTW Kev, do you know who plays bass on that song?

Randy Jackson, he now of American Idol fame. ;)

And Kev, how much do you like the song trampled underfoot?

Quite a bit.  Didn't make my LZ favorite songs list there, but if I ever did a LZ top 50 songs list, I suspect it would probably be in the 25-35 range.  Just a guess. :p

As for BOC, I've only listened to Mirrors, and it was fine...

Jeez, nowhere to go but up after that, as that is easily one of their two least best CDs.  Time to get to work! :biggrin:

Great list so far Kev, I've enjoyed reading it and I'll definitely check out some of the stuff I'm less familiar with.  I wouldn't know where to begin making a list like this however; not sure how you do it.

-J

Great list so far.

Thanks, guys.  Good to hear, j! :) 

And I really don't put too much thought into it.  It literally took me about 15 minutes to make up this list.  If I did it again in a month, it would probably be about the same, with the top 20 probably being about the same, and maybe a few bands in the 21-50 range moving up or down a spot or two, depending on my mood that day.

Another update coming later today, when I have more time to do a write-up...

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
I'm still not seeing Pain of Salvation. I don't know if I should be sad or happy just yet. I'm guessing Porcupine Tree is in Top 10.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »
I'm still not seeing Pain of Salvation. I don't know if I should be sad or happy just yet. I'm guessing Porcupine Tree is in Top 10.

I'm hoping PoS doesn't make it after this. Maybe in the 50-30 range. Maybe

Offline j

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:11 AM »

I'm hoping not at all.

-J

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »

I'm hoping not at all.

-J

I agree. PoS are good, but not top30-good.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
Kev has made it very clear in the past that he is not a Pain of Salvation fan (or at least, not a Daniel Gildenlow fan). Don't get your hopes up :tup it's a great list anyways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
Kev has made it very clear in the past that he is not a Pain of Salvation fan (or at least, not a Daniel Gildenlow fan). Don't get your hopes up :tup

Exactly.  PoS wouldn't make my top 1,000. :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »
It would be tough to rank my Top 50 artists..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »
Kev has made it very clear in the past that he is not a Pain of Salvation fan (or at least, not a Daniel Gildenlow fan). Don't get your hopes up :tup

Exactly.  PoS wouldn't make my top 1,000. :biggrin:

Oooh, that's cold.  :(

Do you even listen to 1000 artists?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
Do you even listen to 1000 artists?

Sure. I could throw a bunch of one-hit wonder artists on there. ;)  Think of all of the 80s artists who had one or two great songs and nothing else!  I could put them on there. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
12. Kansas

Sometimes, time can make your love for a band wane, due to overplaying them, or maybe their music just not aging well, but Kansas is one of those bands that is the opposite of that.  Every time I listen to them, their music sounds just as fresh and great as it did back in the day when I got into them.  Well, except for the first time I heard "Miracles out of Nowhere," which had my jaw on the floor for days (as did most of Leftoverture, quite honestly).  I love their American version of 70s prog rock, featuring a violin just as much as, if not more than, guitar.  And Steve Walsh...what can you say about him?  In his heyday, I would argue that there was no better rock singer ever.  There are a couple I would put on his level, but no one was better.  And I gotta give a shout-out to Kerry Livgren, who will go down as the songwriting master of this band.  

Favorite albums: Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Masque

Favorite songs: "Cheyenne Anthem," "Miracles out of Nowhere," "The Pinnacle," "Song for America," "Closet Chronicles," "Dust in the Wind," "Magnum Opus," "The Wall," "Journey from Mariabronn," "Icarus" and "Carry On Wayward Son."

11. Devin Townsend

I don't even know where to begin in talking about what I love about his music the most.  His voice.  His songwriting.  His wall of sound.  His quirky sense of humor that often finds its way into his music.  So many great things about him and his music.  He was definitely somewhat of an acquired taste when I first heard him, as his screaming vocals and that wall of sound took some time to get into, but his music is extremely addictive once you get past any barriers that might be there.  I know this will be blasphemy to some, but he is almost like a modern-day Zappa to me.  Not necessarily in a prolific sense (not that Devin isn't prolific, but Zappa was a whole other beast in that regard compared to almost anyone else), but in their approaches to music, their personalities, their ability to successfully integrate their senses of humor into their music, etc.  And I love how each of his albums always seem to have a different kind of feel; Terria sounds like the earth; Ocean Machine sounds like the water; Infinity sounds like a Broadway show on crack; etc.  Also, if I had to list my top 10 moments in any song ever, the middle vocal section of "The Fluke" would make the cut; that is so wacky, yet so awesome.  Add it all up and it equals one undeniable truth: Devin is The Man!

Favorite albums: Terria, Addicted and Infinity

Favorite songs: "Truth," "Bend It Like Bender," "Earth Day," "The Fluke," "Deep Peace," "Addicted," "Pixillate," "Heaven Send," "The Death of Music," "Noisy Pink Bubbles," "Tiny Tears," "Supercrush" and "Canada."