Author Topic: Favorite Artists Top 50  (Read 31875 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Favorite Artists Top 50
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
I haven't done a top 50 list since January, and for the fifth installment, I decided to tackle a monster of one...listing my 50 favorite bands/solo artists.  Like before, this is for fun, to generate discussion, and hopefully it will get some into bands they aren't into already, or something like that.  I probably won't necessarily do 5 at a time like I did before, but maybe do a few less each time, while maybe doing more frequent updates (like, maybe two a day, if the mood strikes me ;)).  Here goes...

50. Simon & Garfunkel

I was always a fan of their popular songs, but never went out of my way to listen to the others until a few years ago, and they have a lot of overlooked gems that aren't that popular, to go along with their many recognized classics.  Two great voices, great songwriters and great lyrics...that is a can't miss scenario.

Favorite albums: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme and Bridge over Troubled Water

Favorite songs: "Bridge over Troubled Water," "The Boxer," "The Dangling Conversation," "I am a Rock," "America," The Sound of Silence," "Mrs. Robinson" and "Cecilia."

49. Boston

Boston is the first classic rock band I really went crazy over.  Their self-titled debut remains one of all-time favorite records, and the three albums after that, while all decreasing in quality chronologically, have plenty of merit to them, as well.  Brad Delp is one of the best rock singers ever, and Tom Scholz's innovative wall of guitars sound is instantly recognizable.

Favorite albums: Boston and Don't Look Back

Favorite songs: "Foreplay/Long Time," "Hitch a Ride," "A Man I'll Never Be," "More Than a Feeling," "Peace of Mind," "Hollyann," "Don't Be Afraid," "Rock and Roll Band," "Don't Look Back" and "Smokin'."

48. Metallica

This is where some go, "OMG, you like 47 bands more than Metallica," and where I go, "Absolutely."  But considering how many bands I love, being number 48 is no shame at all.  I actually didn't get into Metallica until the spring of 1996, right before Load came out.  For years, "Wherever I May Roam" was the only song of theirs I liked at all.  Then I heard all of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

Favorite albums: Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning

Favorite songs: "Fade to Black," "Master of Puppets," "Orion," "Disposable Heroes," "The Call of Ktulu," "Wherever I May Roam," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Leper Messiah," "Creeping Death," "Don't Tread on Me," and "The Shortest Straw."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:26:38 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite Artists Top 50
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:25 AM »
Great idea :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

And Boston  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Tom Scholz's pick slides ftw
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »
Bridge over Troubled Water has been added to my wish list.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
I will be following this.

Oh, and someone should also try doing a "Top # Musicians" list.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »
Looks like a good time for me to delve deeper into Boston, other than More Than A Feeling.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »

This'll be a good way for me to check out some new bands  :laugh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
Great idea Kev. It's going to be nice to see variety in styles of bands and what they bring to why you love music.  Already Simon and Garfunkel to Metallica. :tup
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »
Very cool idea!! 

I love Simon and Garfunkel's back catalog.  All five of their albums are essential IMO.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
Wow this is going to be an epic list, can't wait to read it all Kev, I already agree with you on all those bands haha
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »
Looks like a good time for me to delve deeper into Boston, other than More Than A Feeling.

I don't know if "dive" would be good terminology. Their self-titled debut is a must have as it is one of the single greatest classic rock albums ever recorded. While some other stuff is good, it's okay if you decide to skip it.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »
Well, we already know who the top 3 are ::)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
Watch DT not even be on the list :neverusethis:

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »
This list is going to be fucking epic indeed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
Glad to see interest here. :)

Unlike some other top whatever lists, this one is more about the journey, seeing what bands are in it and talking about them along the way, as opposed to the suspense of what number 1 will be, as I am sure anyone who knows me knows what band will be number 1. ;) :lol

Anyway....

47. Godspeed You! Black Emperor

It seems odd for a band that I only have 14 songs by to be in the top 50, but then again, the average length of all of those songs is just shy of 23 minutes!  GY!BE is a master of tension and build-up, practically every song having monster build-ups and slow comedowns.  When asked to describe what they sound like, I usually say that their music would be the soundtrack to a movie on the end of the world.

Favorite albums: Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven and Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls

Favorite songs: "Storm," "Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls," "Sleep," "Static," "Antennas to Heaven" and "Motherfucker=Redeemer (Part One)."

46. Wilco

Wilco is a band I always sorta liked, but when I saw them live in 2007, I went from sorta liking them to really liking them.  Great, great live band!  They sound very much like old school rock and roll, but with twinges of country, alt rock, and indie rock in there.  Their songs almost always feature infectious melodies, and I love the frequent use of both piano and acoustic guitar.

Favorite albums: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth

Favorite songs: "I am Trying to Break Your Heart," "Misunderstood," "Muzzle of Bees," "How to Fight Loneliness," "Via Chicago," "Poor Places," "Ashes of American Flags," "Impossible Germany," "Radio Cure," "Sunken Treasure" and "Jesus, Etc."

45. Sigur Rós

THE definition of a mood band.  When in the right mood, there are few bands that sound as jaw-droppingly great as Sigur Rós.  I have no idea what they are singing about, but it doesn't really matter.  What matters are the emotions and the moods that are the result of the overall package.  Seeing them close their show a few years ago with "Popplagið" was like witnessing a religious experience out of the Bible.  It was that amazing.  

Favorite albums: ( ) and Takk...

Favorite songs: "Popplagið," "Olsen Olsen," "Glosoli," "Milano," "Samskeyti," "Njósnavélin," "Hjartad hamast" and "Hoppipolla."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
This is a cool idea.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jag66

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Cool, just opened this thread whilst listening to hvarf/heim. Sigur Ros indeed rule!
I've been meaning to check out more wilco of late.. maybe ill do that now.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
I still need Argystasth Byrneum or however the hell its spelled without mashing keys.  I listened to Takk... last weekend and remembered how amazing it was.  Same with F#A#, my only Godspeed album.  Great choices so far Kev!

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »
Tom Scholz's innovative wall of guitars sound is instantly recognizable.

I Still have my Rockman !!! and it works too

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »
I still need Argystasth Byrneum or however the hell its spelled without mashing keys.  I listened to Takk... last weekend and remembered how amazing it was.  Same with F#A#, my only Godspeed album.  Great choices so far Kev!

Just do what I do...copy and paste the name of the album from your iTunes: Ágætis Byrjun. :biggrin:

And thanks!  :)

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 11:27:08 PM »
I like Wilco but I think I like Son Volt more.

EDIT: I also swear that I once remember reading Kurt Cobain say that the opening riff to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was basically the chorus riff of "More Than A Feeling" grunge-ified.  Listen closely -- it's there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:35:00 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »

Just do what I do...copy and paste the name of the album from your iTunes: Ágætis Byrjun. :biggrin:

And thanks!  :)

International keyboards FTW
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
44. David Bowie

It looks weird to see a musical genius like Bowie this low, but the simple truth is, I haven't listened to enough of his material to rate him any higher.  Most of what I do have, I like a lot; I simply haven't gone any further...yet.  If you ask me why, I have no good answer.  I simply haven't gotten around to digger deeper, but once I do, I expect him to move fast up my list.  I cannot stress enough how utterly brilliant Low is.  If you are not familiar with Bowie, check that record out.  It will blow you away.

Favorite albums: Low and "Heroes"

Favorite songs: "Life On Mars," "Ziggy Stardust," "Let's Dance," "Space Oddity," "Warszawa," "Sound and Vision," "Young Americans," "China Girl" and "Always Crashing in the Same Car."

43. Talking Heads

I love the quirkiness and just fun nature of Talking Heads' music.  I once saw Remain in Light referred to as unintentional genius, and I think that is a very apt description of one of rock's all-time great records.  It's funny, because, as a kid, I knew their big hits that were played on MTV non-stop back when I was a kid in the early 80s, but I never bothered checking out their non-hits until the last few years....and, boy, am I glad I did.

Favorite albums: Remain in Light and Fear of Music

Favorite songs: "Burning Down the House," "Cities," "Once in a Lifetime," "Houses in Motion," "I Zimbra," "Wild Wild Life," "Crosseyed and Painless," "The Great Curve" and "Heaven."

42. The Who

Yes, this is really The Who all the way down at number 42.  I love The Who, but the fact of the matter is that I almost never listen to them anymore, so I really can't put them higher than bands I have been listening to with much more frequency in recent years.  To use a term my cousin coined a while back, The Who, to me, are like a retired favorite: I still think they are awesome, but I burned out on them many, many years ago, to the point where they only get the occasional token listens now, save for a few songs.

Favorite albums: Quadrophenia and Tommy

Favorite songs: "Baba O'Riley," "I Can See for Miles," "We're Not Gonna Take It," "Love, Reign O'er Me," "Overture/It's a Boy," "Bargain," "Doctor Jimmy," "Amazing Journey/Sparks," "Squeeze Box" and "The Real Me."

41. Heart

Heart is one of those bands that has two distinctly different sounds and eras: the classic rock era of the 70s, and the pop rock era of the 80s. I like both.  I loved the 80s hits growing up, I was turned on to their 70s classic rock staples in the 90s, and I grew to love them more as a band when I dug deeper in the 00s.  Dreamboat Annie is a record that should be in the collection of anyone who likes rock music.  And Ann Wilson is one of rock's all-time great singers.  The note she holds at the end of "Dream of the Archer" is just absurd, and her work in the middle of "Mistral Wind" is equally impressive.

Favorite albums: Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen

Favorite songs: "Mistral Wind," "Crazy on You," "Dreamboat Annie," "These Dreams," "Dream of the Archer," "Magic Man," "Nothing At All," "Soul of the Sea," "Barracuda" and "There's the Girl."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
Gonna do a second update today.

40. dredg

dredg was hard for me to accurately rank.  After being a casual fan for a couple of years, I finally went crazy over them the last six months or so, and they have been one of my most-listened-to bands since.  However, since I am still in the honeymoon phase with them, in essence, I am conservatively ranking them, as it wouldn't be fair to put them ahead of a lot of longtime favorites this quickly.  Having said that, in a year, if they are still sounding this good, I would likely rank them much higher.  Time will tell...

Favorite albums: The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion and El Cielo

Favorite songs: "Quotes," "The Canyon Behind Her," "Gathering Pebbles," "Sang Real," "Ireland," "Mourning This Morning," "Information," "Matroshka (The Ornament)," "Triangle" and "Cartoon Showroom."

39. Billy Joel

One of my favorite voices in music, Billy Joel has more good songs that I can count.  There isn't anything particular fancy that I can say about Joel, except that he is a great songwriter, a terrific singer, and a helluva piano player.

Favorite albums: The Stranger and Turnstiles

Favorite songs: "Allentown," "Captain Jack," "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant," "The Stranger," "The Entertainer," "Prelude/Angry Young Man," "The Downeaster Alexa," "Uptown Girl," "Piano Man" and "New York State of Mind."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
Dredg is awesome.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
I know the name but I don't ever remember hearing any Talking Heads. I'll have to keep a look out for it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
So far, I'd agree with most of these bands. Good going so far Kev, although Yes probably isn't in your top 5, so I'll have to yell at you then.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »
Great read. Keep it up.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
I feel the same way about The Who...once they were my favorite band...but I burned out on them in High School in favor of Pink Floyd, and then DT.  Quadrophenia is the only album of theirs I spin with any regularity.  Also good to see Billy Joel and dredg.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
Kudos on "Love Reign O'er Me"

Probably my favorite Who song, and I feel that it doesn't get enough love.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Great read. Keep it up.

Orcus, love your new pic!

Kev,  I cant say enough about Bowie.  How many style changes, musically and with fashion.  i still love to hear new music from him cause you never know what you're going to get.

Heart, the best female vocals in the biz.  Saw them 4 times and they never disapointed.  I keep saying to my wife that I'd like to take her to one of their shows.  She's never seen them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
I agree that it's great to see Billy Joel on the list.  He is just amazing -- so many good songs!  And a deity of vocals and piano to boot.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
44. David Bowie

It looks weird to see a musical genius like Bowie this low, but the simple truth is, I haven't listened to enough of his material to rate him any higher.  Most of what I do have, I like a lot; I simply haven't gone any further...yet.  If you ask me why, I have no good answer.  I simply haven't gotten around to digger deeper, but once I do, I expect him to move fast up my list.  I cannot stress enough how utterly brilliant Low is.  If you are not familiar with Bowie, check that record out.  It will blow you away.

Favorite albums: Low and "Heroes"

Favorite songs: "Life On Mars," "Ziggy Stardust," "Let's Dance," "Space Oddity," "Warszawa," "Sound and Vision," "Young Americans," "China Girl" and "Always Crashing in the Same Car."
I might need to ask your opinion on Bowie. I've found that I really, really, really like Life on Mars, but I don't know much about the rest of his catalogue. How did you start to get into him? Is that a good-ish meter for the rest of his catalogue? That you've heard, natch.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
Life on Mars? is probably my favorite Bowie song, even though I've only really listened to Hunky Dory and the Life Aquatic Soundtrack.  Hunky Dory is an exceptional album if you have only heard Life on Mars? and nothing else from it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
Kudos on "Love Reign O'er Me"

Probably my favorite Who song, and I feel that it doesn't get enough love.

:tup Such an epic conclusion to an epic album.

I'll be watching this thread!